PDA

View Full Version : Useful Software

Dave Schwartz
08-29-2001, 06:45 PM
I ran across a useful software program today and just fell in love with it. I have had it for 3 hours and it has already become a major part of how I do things while I am connected.

Although it is not handicapping software, I felt that we could all use some organizational help from time to time.

http://www.treepad.com

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

PS: The "paid" version is worth the $28 over the "free" version, but even the freeware is worthwhile.

Moe Mony
08-30-2001, 02:22 AM
D.S.,

Pick and choose, choose and pick: re: useful software programs. Loved your comments in your post, especially about organizational help. Useful software is in the 'eye of the beholder', combined with experience and whatever style/paradigm YOU'VE created! In this age of simulcasting and multiple track playing, reliable efficiency, rather than 'shortcuts', as some refer to software programs, can be the 'mother of invention'.

Milfredo
08-30-2001, 08:47 PM
Dave,
Appreciate your presence on this board, as I do others too. I've been chasing handicapping for alot of years and hope to someday have a chance to speak with you in Reno.
But, as of late, I'm looking further into database handicapping. Actually, transferring my handicapping methods over to a database. I see this has a database, but I'm assuming that it is not of the caliber needed to handicap with....?
I understand that HSH contains one or will soon.....so my question is: What database would be a good one to start working with? Can you offer up some advice?
I understand this is possibly counter productive to you, being a software developer, but I've seen you conduct yourself in a very professional and helpful manner on this board, so I'm hoping you will help. I have mentioned your program to several people and they are looking at different options..so maybe a sale will come your way.
I have developed a handicapping program, but just as a fun hobby. I'm not programmer enough to write a database program, so I'd like to transfer to a database I can purchase. I have no desire to sell programs...just want to select a good database product I can use.

Thanks for your understanding and help.

Milford

Dave Schwartz
08-30-2001, 09:43 PM
Milford,

Glad to help. Ironically, I am probably not the best person to talk to about this, although I certainly have an opinion. (I ALWAYS have one of those.) <G>

Probably the best advice you can get would be from Larry Hamilton. I have come to have great respect for him.

But I will offer what I can.

First, you must decide upon a data stream. That is, where will you get your data? Consider the following:

1. Cost of the data
2. download time
3. Processing time

Obviously, the processing time will be dependant upon the software YOU write. And you will have to write some.

Also, don't forget the cost of RESULTS. Remember that you not only need the charts but also the payoffs.

Next, you we can move to the database manager. I am sure that everyone will jump up and scream "Access." And I don't blame them. But remember that is mostly because it is about the only game in town.

If I were not writing commercial software, I would be using a Linux-based solution. Probably MySql (which is free for Linux) and write the code in PHP. Much faster and more reliable. Unfortunately, not very user friendly.

Don't even consider keeping your data in spreadsheets or something like "Works." Bite the bullet and commit to learning. It is do-able.

The next-best solution? Well, when I get the darn thing finished, HSH Pro will do an excellent job of handling a few hundred thousand races. And you have the advantage of not having to learn programming. But the disadvantage is that you can't look at EVERYTHING. You can sure look at lots, but not everything.

There are always trade offs in software. Flexibility for speed. Speed for storage space. Flexibility for complexity or learning curve. There is no free lunch.

All things considered, (now that I have had my little rant) the only real alternative for you is probably Access.

Now, if you can get Larry to chime in with how to get the most out of Access, you will be way ahead.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

Milfredo
08-31-2001, 12:01 AM
Dave,
Thanks for your quick response. I understand and will start doing my homework.

Milford