PDA

View Full Version : He Said What? White House summons U.S. General to explain himself

andymays
06-22-2010, 09:23 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100622/ap_on_en_ot/us_mcchrystal_enemies

Excerpt:

WASHINGTON – The top U.S. commander in Afghanistan has been summoned to Washington to explain derogatory comments about President Barack Obama and his colleagues, administration officials said Tuesday.

Gen. Stanley McChrystal , who publicly apologized Tuesday for using "poor judgment" in an interview in Rolling Stone magazine, has been ordered to attend the monthly White House meeting on Afghanistan and Pakistan in person Wednesday rather than over a secure video teleconference, according to officials who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly. He'll be expected to explain his comments to Obama and top Pentagon officials, these officials said.

rastajenk
06-22-2010, 09:25 AM
Get under the bus, Gus.

You need a new plan, Stan.

ArlJim78
06-22-2010, 09:35 AM
probably it was the only way the general could think of to get some face time with captain kick-ass, who is generously taking time out from his ambitious links schedule to set the general straight.

andymays
06-22-2010, 10:11 AM
McChrystal: An accident waiting to happen

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/blogs/beltway-confidential/mcchrystal-an-accident-waiting-to-happen-96878494.html

Excerpt:

I just got off the phone with a retired military man, with more than 25 years experience, who has worked with Gen. Stanley McChrystal in the Pentagon. His reaction to McChrystal’s performance in the new Rolling Stone profile? No surprise at all.

“Those of us who knew him would unanimously tell you that this was just a matter of time,” the man says. “He talks this way all the time. I’m surprised it took this long for it to rear its ugly head.”

“He had great disdain for anyone, as he said, ‘in a suit,’” the former military man continues. “I was shocked one day in a small group of people when he took [former Defense Secretary Donald] Rumsfeld to task in front of all of us.”

Read more at the Washington Examiner: http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/blogs/beltway-confidential/mcchrystal-an-accident-waiting-to-happen-96878494.html#ixzz0rahq18gF

Tom
06-22-2010, 11:17 AM
As bad as Ovomit is, you do not violate your chain of command like this.
You have the balls to resign first, THEN say it.

If he gets fired, it will be the first time I ever agreed with Barry.

andymays
06-22-2010, 12:24 PM
Rolling Stone editor: Gen. Stanley McChrystal didn't push back

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0610/38842.html

Excerpt:

Rolling Stone’s executive editor on Tuesday said that Gen. Stanley McChrystal did not raise any objections to a new article that repeatedly quotes him criticizing the administration.

Eric Bates, the magazine’s editor, said during an interview on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe” that McChrystal was informed of the quotes prior to its publication as part of Rolling Stone's standard fact-checking process — and that the general did not object to or dispute any of the reporting.
Asked if McChrystal pushed back on the story, Bates responded: “No, absolutely not.”

“We ran everything by them in the fact-checking process as we always do,” the Rolling Stone editor said. “They had a sense of what was coming and it was all on the record and they spent a lot of time with our reporter, so I think they knew that they had said it.”

Read more:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0610/38842.html#ixzz0rbFR3JEV

rastajenk
06-22-2010, 12:41 PM
So, after the general gets canned, can we begin to examine what he says? That the commander-in-chief is ill-prepared, the strategy is all over the place with no real focus or urgency?

boxcar
06-22-2010, 12:59 PM
So, after the general gets canned, can we begin to examine what he says? That the commander-in-chief is ill-prepared, the strategy is all over the place with no real focus or urgency?

The community organizer agitator in the WH is waaaaay in over his head. He has no respect by the military or very many world leaders. They all know he's entirely out of his element. He needs to go back to the Windy City -- or even better yet...his "home country".

Boxcar

ArlJim78
06-22-2010, 01:00 PM
It doesn't reflect well on the general, to be airing all the dirty laundry like this. But at the same time, this guy was Obama's pick to run the war. He relieved the general in command of Aghanistan to install McChrystal, a man he barely knew.

Now it looks like things are in complete disarray.

Tom
06-22-2010, 03:11 PM
I don't doubt what he said is true, it's just you do not violate the chain of command. No matter who is at the top.

Unless you are prepared to go all the way and pull a coup.
Then it's ok, I guess.:rolleyes:

Robert Goren
06-22-2010, 03:19 PM
It doesn't reflect well on the general, to be airing all the dirty laundry like this. But at the same time, this guy was Obama's pick to run the war. He relieved the general in command of Aghanistan to install McChrystal, a man he barely knew.

Now it looks like things are in complete disarray. Lincoln picked 4 of them before he got it right. I knew this guy was a loser when I saw him on Sixty Minutes.

prospector
06-22-2010, 05:38 PM
Lincoln picked 4 of them before he got it right. I knew this guy was a loser when I saw him on Sixty Minutes.
lol...i felt the same about obama

JustRalph
06-22-2010, 05:41 PM
I posted last night in another thread that his wife is probably shopping for a Condo in Florida........ it looks like I might be right...........

I am with Tom on this one..........out of line............maybe truthful...but out of line.........

Jay Trotter
06-22-2010, 06:31 PM
If he gets fired, it will be the first time I ever agreed with Barry.

http://blogs.babson.edu/careerconnections/files/2008/10/fall_out_of_chair_small.jpg

Please pre-post with a warning "to buckle up" prior to making a statement like this -- I fell out of my chair when I saw that you "agreed" with Obama on this one! :faint:

ArlJim78
06-22-2010, 06:35 PM
It was bound to happen with this CIC. he is not a leader and sets groups against each other. his goal being to turn everything to sh!t, chalk this one up as another success for capt kickass. we should have been moving out of the country not doubling down.

newtothegame
06-22-2010, 07:04 PM
Being Ex military myself, I agree whole heartedly with Tom.
There are some things you do NOT do. Doesnt matter what this guy was thinking....He should of kept them as his thoughts till his resignation. Now, he may be looking at other problems.
Terrible way to blemish his career.....:ThmbDown:

lsbets
06-22-2010, 08:48 PM
If Obama lets him stay, O's image of weakness will just be reinforced. He has little choice, he has to fire the General.

Shemp Howard
06-22-2010, 09:47 PM
McChrystal is a Four-Star General. You don’t get that rank by being an idiot. He knew full well that what he was saying in the Rolling Stone interview was going to wind up causing him to resign or be sacked – but he did the interview anyway.

McChrystal is a professional soldier and he is well trained in diplomacy. What he did was expose President Zero and his useful idiots for the incompetent, malevolent imbeciles that they are. McChrystal fell on his own sword as a matter of honor.

Honor is the most commendable part of the human character.

There was a time when this nation went to war, it fought to win. No longer. Now we have pi**sing contests, all controlled by imbecilic, reprobate politicians.

The most striking difference between McChrystal and President Zero is their respective abilities to accept responsibility. Zero, no matter what happens, will always find someone else to blame. McChrystal always accepts responsibility. McChrystal is admired for his leadership and honesty. Zero is not. Zero is already considered the worst president in the last 100 years (http://www.usofearth.com/polls/?p=144 (http://www.usofearth.com/polls/?p=144)).

Yes, McChrystal broke the chain of command. But he did so not out of malice. He did so because of his love for his country and the dedication he felt for the men and women that serve under his command.

Thank you, General McChrystal! You are a magnificent American!

ArlJim78
06-22-2010, 09:51 PM
you got it Shemp.:ThmbUp:
McChrystal fell on his sword to expose the farce that is going on. It was a calculated move.

lsbets
06-22-2010, 10:04 PM
If McChrystal wanted to act honorably, he would have resigned and then made his comments. Undermining the chain of command is not honorable. He didn't know what he was doing. He shot his mouth off, now he should be fired.

bigmack
06-22-2010, 10:22 PM
He didn't shoot his mouth off in the article, his staff did.

Just from a "who would you rather hang with" category, if the choice were BO & his inner circle and McC and his; I'll take McC's.

From the article:
The general's staff is a handpicked collection of killers, spies, geniuses, patriots, political operators and outright maniacs. There's a former head of British Special Forces, two Navy Seals, an Afghan Special Forces commando, a lawyer, two fighter pilots and at least two dozen combat veterans and counterinsurgency experts. They jokingly refer to themselves as Team America, taking the name from the South Park-esque sendup of military cluelessness, and they pride themselves on their can-do attitude and their disdain for authority.

newtothegame
06-22-2010, 11:29 PM
Mack...your right to the point of it being his staff....but just as McChrystal is responsible to his superiors (like it or not), so is his staff.
Do I like Mc...of course. I have the utmost respect for him and his time served and his on and off the battle field achievements.
But there is a code and a chain of command. Its by what every military person lives and dies by along with the UCMJ.

boxcar
06-22-2010, 11:37 PM
If Obama lets him stay, O's image of weakness will just be reinforced. He has little choice, he has to fire the General.

And if the does, then the General will be free to speak his mind. BO will probably weigh that carefully.

Boxcar

rastajenk
06-22-2010, 11:42 PM
Maybe he just wanted out, and was willing to flame out in high resolution. I think I read somewhere today that the rate of high-profile resignations is up somewhat; the military is burnt out; Orszag is out; Rahm is close to out. There are better places to posture yourself, or just plain get out, than to be allied with this president. I agree with those that respect the chain of command; but at the same time I'm glad he says what he says. The thin-skinned Obamatrons just aren't up to the task.

newtothegame
06-23-2010, 02:47 AM
Tuesday, June 22, 2010 McChrystal Resigning? (http://townhall.com/blog/g/b98f0f55-89ec-4249-8216-44d67cc3c94a) Posted by: reporting ("]Meredith Jessup[/url] at 6:50 PM The UK Telegraph is [url="http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/tobyharnden/100044536/breaking-general-stanley-mcchrystal-tenders-his-resignation/) that its "senior Capitol Hill source" says Gen. McChrystal has "tendered his resignation" to President Obama and the White House is "actively discussing a replacement who could quickly be confirmed by the Senate."

As the paper points out, offering one's resignation is not the same as resigning. The Telegraph's story has yet to be verified by any independent sources. As far as I can tell, it remains unclear whether the president will accept the General's resignation.

Even if the story is true, the Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/06/22/AR2010062202069_pf.html) wonders whether the president can truly afford to lose McChrystal as U.S. forces are on the cusp of a major offensive operation in Kandahar.

Stay tuned. Tomorrow's White House meeting should be... interesting

http://townhall.com/blog/g/b98f0f55-89ec-4249-8216-44d67cc3c94a?comments=true&commentsSortDirection=Descending

Tom
06-23-2010, 10:17 AM
You can get a clue by what door he exits the WH......kitchen, past the garbage cans, not goof.

Robert Goren
06-23-2010, 10:30 AM
Sometimes when things are not going well, people run off at mouth out of frustration. I know I did it once and paid for it. That said, this a chance to get of a man who is not getting the job done. Maybe it is am impossible task, maybe not, but we know one thing he is not getting it done. Time to move on. We all face our moment of truth sometime. In 2 years, Obama will face his. The general's time is now.

newtothegame
06-23-2010, 12:22 PM
Sometimes when things are not going well, people run off at mouth out of frustration. I know I did it once and paid for it. That said, this a chance to get of a man who is not getting the job done. Maybe it is am impossible task, maybe not, but we know one thing he is not getting it done. Time to move on. We all face our moment of truth sometime. In 2 years, Obama will face his. The general's time is now.

Not getting the job done???
You may wish to look at this Heneral's resume before you say something as crazy. And look at Iraq, before and after his arrival in theater. Before and after Surge...
Then come back and tell us how he "isnt getting the job done"....
And if your gonna mention Afghanistan....best bring ALL the parties to the table starting with the WH who by the way, did NOT provide the troop levels which were requested "to get the job done".

newtothegame
06-23-2010, 12:37 PM
In case ya need a hand Goren....here is his Bio:

Commander, International Security Assistance Force/
Commander, United States Forces Afghanistan

United States Army

SOURCE OF COMMISSIONED SERVICE: USMA
EDUCATIONAL DEGREES

United States Military Academy - BS - No Major

United States Naval War College - MA - National Security and Strategic Studies

Salve Regina University - MS - International Relations

MILITARY SCHOOLS ATTENDED

Infantry Officer Basic and Advanced Courses

United States Naval Command and Staff College

Senior ]Service College Fellowship Harvard University

FOREIGN LANGUAGES

Spanish

PROMOTIONS DATE OF APPOINTMENT

2LT 2 Jun 76

1LT 2 Jun 78

CPT 1 Aug 80

MAJ 1 Jul 87

LTC 1 Sep 92

COL 1 Sep 96

BG (http://#) 1 Jan 01

MG 1 May 04

LTG 16 Feb 06

GEN 11 Jun 09

FROM TO ASSIGNMENT

Nov 76 Feb 78 Weapons Platoon Leader, C Company, 1st Battalion, 504th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 82d Airborne Division, Fort Bragg, North Carolina

Feb 78 Jul 78 Rifle Platoon Leader, C Company, 1st Battalion, 504th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 82d Airborne Division, Fort Bragg, North Carolina

Jul 78 Nov 78 Executive Officer, C Company, 1st Battalion, 504th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 82d Airborne Division, Fort Bragg, North Carolina

Nov 78 Apr 79 Student, Special Forces Officer Course, Special Forces School, Fort Bragg, North Carolina

Apr 79 Jun 80 Commander, Detachment A, A Company, 1st Battalion, 7th Special Forces Group (Airborne), Fort Bragg, North Carolina

Jun 80 Feb 81 Student, Infantry Officer Advanced Course, United States Army Infantry School, Fort Benning, Georgia

Feb 81 Mar 82 S2/S3 (Intelligence/Operations (http://#)), United Nations Command Support GroupJoint Security Area, Korea

Mar 82 Nov 82 Training Officer, Directorate of Plans and Training, A Company, Headquarters Command, Fort Stewart, Georgia

Nov 82 Sep 84 Commander, A Company, 3d Battalion, 19th Infantry, 24th Infantry Division (Mechanized), Fort Stewart, Georgia

Sep 84 Sep 85 S3 (Operations), 3d Battalion, 19th Infantry, 24th Infantry Division (Mechanized), Fort Stewart, Georgia

Sep 85 Jan 86 Liaison Officer, 3d Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment, Fort Benning, Georgia

Jan 86 May 87 Commander, A Company, 3d Battalion, 75th Ranger (http://#) Regiment, Fort Benning, Georgia

May 87 Apr 88 Liaison Officer, 3d Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment, Fort Benning, Georgia

Apr 88 Jun 89 S3 (Operations), 3d Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment, Fort Benning, Georgia

Jun 89 Jun 90 Student, Command and Staff Course, United States Naval War College, Newport, Rhode Island

Jun 90 Apr 93 Army Special Operations Action Officer, J3, Joint Special Operations Command, Fort Bragg, North Carolina and OPERATIONS DESERT SHIELD/STORM, Saudi Arabia

Apr 93 Nov 94 Commander, 2d Battalion, 504th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 82d Airborne Division, Fort Bragg, North Carolina

Nov 94 Jun 96 Commander, 2d Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment, Fort Lewis, Washington

Jun 96 Jun 97 Senior Service College Fellowship, John F. Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts

Jun 97 Aug 99 Commander, 75th Ranger Regiment, Fort Benning, Georgia

Aug 99 Jun 00 Military Fellow, Council on Foreign Relations, New York, New York

Jun 00 Jun 01 Assistant Division Commander (Operations), 82d Airborne Division, Fort Bragg, North Carolina to include duty as Commander, Combined Joint Task Force Kuwait, Camp Doha, Kuwait

Jun 01 Jul 02 Chief of Staff, XVIII Airborne Corps and Fort Bragg, Fort Bragg, North Carolina to include duty as Chief of Staff, Combined Joint Task Force180, OPERATION ENDURING

FREEDOM, Afghanistan

Jul 02 Sep 03 Vice Director for Operations, J3, The Joint Staff, Washington, DC

Sep 03 Feb 06 Commanding General, Joint Special Operations Command, Fort Bragg, North Carolina

Feb 06 Jun 08 Commander, Joint Special Operations Command/Commander, Joint Special Operations Command Forward, United States Special Operations Command, Fort Bragg, North Carolina

Aug 08 Jun 09 Director, The Joint Staff, Washington, DC

Jun 09 Present Commander, International Security Assistance Force/Commander, United States Forces Afghanistan, OPERATION ENDURING FREEDOM, Afghanistan

SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS (Date (http://#) of assignment and rank)

S2/S3 (Intelligence/Operations), United Nations Command Support Group Joint Security Area, Korea (Feb 81-Mar 82, Captain)

Army Special Operations Action Officer, J3, Joint Special Operations Command, Fort Bragg, North Carolina and OPERATIONS DESERT SHIELD/STORM, Saudi Arabia Jun 90-Apr 93 Major/Lieutenant Colonel)

Chief of Staff, XVIII Airborne Corps and Fort Bragg, Fort Bragg, North Carolina to include duty as Chief of Staff, Combined Joint Task Force180, OPERATION ENDURING FREEDOM, Afghanistan (Jun 01-Jul 02, Brigadier General)

Vice Director for Operations, J3, The Joint Staff, Washington, DC (Jul 02-Sep 03, Brigadier General)

Commanding General, Joint Special Operations Command, Fort Bragg, North Carolina (Sep 03-Feb 06, Brigadier General/Major General)

Commander, Joint Special Operations Command/Commander, Joint Special Operations

Command Forward, United States Special Operations Command, Fort Bragg, North Carolina (Feb 06-Jun 08, Major General/Lieutenant General)

Director, The Joint Staff, Washington, DC (Aug 08-Jun 09, Lieutenant General)

Commander, International Security Assistance Force/Commander, United States Forces Afghanistan, OPERATION ENDURING FREEDOM, Afghanistan (Jun 09-Present, General)

SUMMARY OF OPERATIONS ASSIGNMENTS DATE GRADE

Army Special Operations Action Officer, J3, Joint Special Operations Command, OPERATIONS DESERT SHIELD/STORM, Saudi Arabia (Jun 90-Mar 91, Major)

Commander, Combined Joint Task Force Kuwait, Camp Doha, Kuwait (Apr 01-Jun 01, Brigadier General)

Chief of Staff, Combined Joint Task Force180, OPERATION ENDURING FREEDOM, Afghanistan (May 02-Jul 02, Brigadier General)

Commander, International Security Assistance Force/Commander, United States Forces Afghanistan, OPERATION ENDURING FREEDOM, Afghanistan (Jun 09- Present, General)
US DECORATIONS AND BADGES

Defense Distinguished Service Medal

Defense Superior Service Medal (with Oak Leaf Cluster)

Legion of Merit (with 2 Oak Leaf Clusters)

Bronze Star Medal

Defense Meritorious Service Medal

Meritorious Service Medal (with 3 Oak Leaf Clusters)

Army Commendation Medal

Army Achievement Medal

Expert Infantryman Badge

Master Parachutist Badge

Ranger Tab

Special Forces Tab

Joint Chiefs of Staff Identification Badge

newtothegame
06-23-2010, 12:39 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/06/22/raw-data-mcchrystal-biography/

newtothegame
06-23-2010, 01:13 PM
Not getting the job done???
You may wish to look at this Heneral's resume before you say something as crazy. And look at Iraq, before and after his arrival in theater. Before and after Surge...
Then come back and tell us how he "isnt getting the job done"....
And if your gonna mention Afghanistan....best bring ALL the parties to the table starting with the WH who by the way, did NOT provide the troop levels which were requested "to get the job done".

And yes I know its "general's" not "heneral's" lol
damn typos :bang:

bigmack
06-23-2010, 01:37 PM
McC out, Petraeus in.

Chrissy Matthews on MSNBC says to the effect, JFK said that man causes problems and man can fix problems. Well, we caused this with our capitalism, we need to fix-it.

Ya get it? Taliban V/ Capitalism.

Wow. Who let this guy out of the funny farm? :bang:

Robert Goren
06-23-2010, 01:54 PM
I don't care what his resume is. He has his chance. He has not gotten the job done. End of story. It is time to try some else.

prospector
06-23-2010, 02:12 PM
I don't care what his resume is. He has his chance. He has not gotten the job done. End of story. It is time to try some else.
heard on the radio today that the last one who won over there was genghis khan..

newtothegame
06-23-2010, 02:23 PM

lol...if only you applied such logic to all equal parts...
based on your logic...how long has he been in Afghanistan?? Yeah thats right, he was put in place by Obammy...and yet he has failked so he must go in your opinion.
Well based on that same principle...Obammmy being in office longer...has got nbothing done as well...and come election time...he too will go!!!

newtothegame
06-23-2010, 02:24 PM

P.S what was Obammy's resume who is supposed to be the leader of these wars??? Yep...ZERO...
Failure!! I am starting to like your logic sluethy.....
If a mere general has to go for his failures, I am sure that Failure tag has to be applied to the overall leader of the military...right ?? :lol:

lsbets
06-23-2010, 02:28 PM
First - Robert you obviously know nothing about the military and military matters. While I believe McChrystal should have been relieved, he has not failed. Casualties will increase at the beginning of any escalation, that's a fact - more troops doing more stuff bring more casualties. If you can remember back only a couple of years, everyone was screaming that the surge in Iraq was a failure because of the initial increase in violence. Fortunately we did not pay attention to the know nothings and allowed the surge to succeed. Hopefully it does in Afghanistan, but I have always had my doubts - the Afghans are a different people and to succeed, COIN needs the cooperation of the locals. They don't seem to be willing to cooperate with anyone.

Second - the choice of Petraeus is an interesting one. His name has been bandied about as a potential political candidate one day, and if that day came in 2012, he would have to be seen as a credible candidate running with a background of strength against an incumbent President widely viewed as weak. The position is a step down for him. Did politics enter in the decision to put him in command in Afghanistan? If the White House believes the surge will fail, do they feel they can get rid of a potential political adversary by pinning the failure on him? Is the administration throwing him under the bus for political reasons? Are they going to provide him with the support that he needs to succeed? Hopefully he has the full backing of the administration, because if he doesn't, the troops don't, but I would not put anything past the group in the White House.

Hanover1
06-23-2010, 03:00 PM
First - Robert you obviously know nothing about the military and military matters. While I believe McChrystal should have been relieved, he has not failed. Casualties will increase at the beginning of any escalation, that's a fact - more troops doing more stuff bring more casualties. If you can remember back only a couple of years, everyone was screaming that the surge in Iraq was a failure because of the initial increase in violence. Fortunately we did not pay attention to the know nothings and allowed the surge to succeed. Hopefully it does in Afghanistan, but I have always had my doubts - the Afghans are a different people and to succeed, COIN needs the cooperation of the locals. They don't seem to be willing to cooperate with anyone.

Second - the choice of Petraeus is an interesting one. His name has been bandied about as a potential political candidate one day, and if that day came in 2012, he would have to be seen as a credible candidate running with a background of strength against an incumbent President widely viewed as weak. The position is a step down for him. Did politics enter in the decision to put him in command in Afghanistan? If the White House believes the surge will fail, do they feel they can get rid of a potential political adversary by pinning the failure on him? Is the administration throwing him under the bus for political reasons? Are they going to provide him with the support that he needs to succeed? Hopefully he has the full backing of the administration, because if he doesn't, the troops don't, but I would not put anything past the group in the White House.

What you describe is fully possible. Its how we figh wars, and play politics these days. Forget about establishing directives, and winning the war........

bigmack
06-23-2010, 04:37 PM
Oprah was right - HE'S BRILLIANT!

Ed "Fargo" Shultz:
Schultz gushed that the decision proved that the President is "brilliant on the basics." He enthused, "Well, as commander in chief, I think it's probably President Obama's finest hour," because it displayed toughness.

White House correspondent Chip Reid proclaimed: "it sounds like a pretty brilliant decision really."

Over on CNN, moments after Obama finished speaking, anchor Wolf Blitzer remarked that it was a "major moment for this president" and later observed: "a very brilliant move to tap General Petraeus."

Robert Goren
06-23-2010, 04:54 PM
P.S what was Obammy's resume who is supposed to be the leader of these wars??? Yep...ZERO...
Failure!! I am starting to like your logic sluethy.....
If a mere general has to go for his failures, I am sure that Failure tag has to be applied to the overall leader of the military...right ?? :lol:Obama was elected, he is up in 2012. This is the General's plan. He pitched it and it was pick by Obama over several others including one by Biden which would have used fewer troops and more drone missiles. Obama still believes in the plan, but general had to go. I didn't like the plan from the start. Petraeus is probably the best we have now. If anyone can make it work it will be him. The big question is his health.

Robert Goren
06-23-2010, 05:03 PM
AS for Petraeus being a candidate in 2012, that assumes he is a republican. I have never heard a mention of his party.

Tom
06-23-2010, 05:30 PM
He is smart, effective, well respected.....what the hell else could he be? :lol:

JustRalph
06-23-2010, 05:34 PM
LS.......you are reading my mind, the minute I heard Gen. P was moving to that post........ I thought......."Set him up for failure"

I was also immediately surprised because it is a step down???? I think maybe he should have said no............

Tom
06-23-2010, 05:43 PM
Knucklehead Ed said:
"Well, as commander in chief, I think it's probably President Obama's finest hour," because it displayed toughness.

Gee, big Dumb Eddy, too bad the Coward N Chief had NEVER shown any toughness toward our enemies, only our own military, talk show hosts, civilians, plumbers............His finest hour will the day he reaches the Gates of Hell for his eternal reward.

ArlJim78
06-23-2010, 05:54 PM
I'd say it was a tougher decision when he replaced the previous guy with McChrystal. That was actually more of an act of leadership. McChrystal really didn't leave any him any choice and there was broad bipartisan calls to remove him.

I don't understand McChrystals motives though, but whatever they were I think he knew what the probable outcome would be.

bigmack
06-23-2010, 09:07 PM
:lol:

cIUej6VJzII

JustRalph
06-24-2010, 06:57 AM
After about 24 hours...... I have decided Petreus is an idiot for taking this job

Robert Goren
06-24-2010, 08:18 AM
After about 24 hours...... I have decided Petreus is an idiot for taking this jobIt took you 24 hours to figure that out. I doubt if it took anyone else 24 seconds. As for Petreus, even very smart people start to do dumb things when they spend too much time reading their own press clippings. That is the only reason I can come up with for him taking a job which most people feel is impossible.

newtothegame
06-24-2010, 09:17 AM
It took you 24 hours to figure that out. I doubt if it took anyone else 24 seconds. As for Petreus, even very smart people start to do dumb things when they spend too much time reading their own press clippings. That is the only reason I can come up with for him taking a job which most people feel is impossible.

Well gee now...McChrystal out....You say Petreus did a "dumb" thing....
Anyone else ya have in mind cause remember...this was the "right" war according to Obammy.....
So who would ya have run it there Goren???

toetoe
06-24-2010, 02:01 PM
You two are wrong.

According to broadcasting legend and hard-luck Jeopardy genius Wolf Blitzer, the move was very brilliant. Don't shortchange the Long Lost Gumbel Brother-in-Chief, please.

Here are the inflammatory comments of Stannie Mac:

"Are you asking about V. P. Biden ? Who's that ?" :eek:

"Oh, not another e-mail from Holbrooke. I don't even want to open it." :(

"I like Karl [Eikenberry] ... ... covers his flank for the history books ..." :blush:

Fire him for the Pat Tillman thing; fire him for dragging prisoners through the mud; but get a [B]reason. You gotta have a reason, doncha gotta ? I thought our generals got at least as much slack as Barack the Red for misbehavior by their underlings and associates. WTF ?!?

By the Absolute Potentate-in-Chief's own admission, Mack never disobeyed orders. Ergo, no insubordination was committed. Of course, the only undermining of anything was accomplished by the Rolling Stoner and the spinners.

Robert Goren
06-24-2010, 02:19 PM
Well gee now...McChrystal out....You say Petreus did a "dumb" thing....
Anyone else ya have in mind cause remember...this was the "right" war according to Obammy.....
So who would ya have run it there Goren???It was the "right" war in 2001. It is now to late. The "good" Afghans are now to corrupt to ever take over. It was smart of Obama to get Petreus to take over because he is the only who has any chance (though slim it maybe) of making this work now. Petreus was dumb to take it over because it not very likely to succeed and the stress could ruin his health, which is already some what questionable.

lsbets
06-24-2010, 02:41 PM
It was the "right" war in 2001. It is now to late. The "good" Afghans are now to corrupt to ever take over. It was smart of Obama to get Petreus to take over because he is the only who has any chance (though slim it maybe) of making this work now. Petreus was dumb to take it over because it not very likely to succeed and the stress could ruin his health, which is already some what questionable.

Just curious- where did you come down on Petraeus when Obama said his strategy would never work in Iraq? When Hillary said he couldn't be believed? When Move-On called him Betrayus?

bigmack
06-24-2010, 02:42 PM
the stress could ruin his health, which is already some what questionable.
What's wrong with him?

johnhannibalsmith
06-24-2010, 02:55 PM
...could ruin his health...

The guy's running a frigging war not a cotton candy booth. Newsflash - join the military, you may emerge unhealthy.

newtothegame
06-25-2010, 12:40 AM
It was the "right" war in 2001. It is now to late. The "good" Afghans are now to corrupt to ever take over. It was smart of Obama to get Petreus to take over because he is the only who has any chance (though slim it maybe) of making this work now. Petreus was dumb to take it over because it not very likely to succeed and the stress could ruin his health, which is already some what questionable.

Just so i got this right..."It was the right war in 2001"....
So your saying that Obammy has been wrong all this time?
During his run for presidency, Obammy said it was the "right" war. That was his reasoning for continuing it, or so he said.
Glad to see your starting to see the the light there Goren... :)

johnhannibalsmith
06-25-2010, 01:10 AM
After about 24 hours...... I have decided Petreus is an idiot for taking this job

I'm not following this story as closely as others, but after 48 hours, I've decided this Petreus guy might be a rare good egg. A guy with a bright political future that potentially commits political suicide because he was asked to serve. Nevermind what was good for him, or his career, but what was considered good for the country and was asked of him by the CIC, regardless of the potential motives.

Maybe I'm giving the guy too much credit, but if the move to accept is as stupid as many here and elsewhere are portraying it - then this Petreus fellow has my utmost respect.

boxcar
06-25-2010, 01:38 AM
What's wrong with him?

He came down with an acute case of Obummeritus in November '08, as probably most of the military did.

Boxcar

plainolebill
06-25-2010, 02:57 AM
I'm not following this story as closely as others, but after 48 hours, I've decided this Petreus guy might be a rare good egg. A guy with a bright political future that potentially commits political suicide because he was asked to serve. Nevermind what was good for him, or his career, but what was considered good for the country and was asked of him by the CIC, regardless of the potential motives.

Maybe I'm giving the guy too much credit, but if the move to accept is as stupid as many here and elsewhere are portraying it - then this Petreus fellow has my utmost respect.

I'm leaning toward this theory. Lots of good and patriotic people in the military who aren't thinking about politics when they retire - just wanting to do their best with the job that's put in front of them.

Greyfox
06-25-2010, 01:18 PM
What's wrong with him?

He fainted at a Congressional hearing last week.
Of interest, The New York Daily News is reporting on their website that:

Taliban Endorses General Petraeus

"(Petraeus) is not smarter than McChrystal," Taliban spokesman Qari Muhammad Ahmed Yusuf (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Ahmed+Youssef) said in a statement. "Also, his losing consciousness last week in an investigative hearing before the members of the U.S. Congress (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/U.S.+Congress) brought his physical competence and his courage into question."

More at link: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/2010/06/24/2010-06-24_taliban_endorses_general_petraeus_say_new_us_af ghanistan_war_chief_not_smarter_t.html

JustRalph
06-28-2010, 11:05 PM
Da General is going away............ there were no other options I am sure. They are throwing a huge party at Rolling Stone tonight...........they got the head of a 4 Star General......... Jann Wenner is a puke

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/06/28/gen-mcchrystal-tells-army-retire/

Gen. McChrystal Tells Army He Will Retire

Gen. Stanley McChrystal, who was fired last week as the top U.S. general in the stalemated Afghanistan war, has told the Army that he will retire.

Gen. Stanley McChrystal, who was fired last week as the top U.S. general in the stalemated Afghanistan war, told the Army on Monday that he will retire.

Army spokesman Col. Tom Collins tells Fox News that McChrystal has informed the office that handles retirements for the Army, which is the General Officer Management Office, that he intends to retire.

Robert Goren
06-29-2010, 12:38 AM
Just so i got this right..."It was the right war in 2001"....
So your saying that Obammy has been wrong all this time?
During his run for presidency, Obammy said it was the "right" war. That was his reasoning for continuing it, or so he said.
Glad to see your starting to see the the light there Goren... :) Yes, I am. I have been opposed to send lots of troops in there for sometime. I don't remember hearing McCain saying we should get out. In fact I seem to remember him and Palin saying that we should be there a 50 years. The only Republican of any note I have heard oppose the war ( even to this day)is Ron Paul. It seems that most want to send in more troops and stay there forever. If you can name one, I would be interested hearing their name. At least with Obama there is faint (really faint) glimmer of hope of getting out there sometime soon. While the anti war movement in the Democratic party is small, at least there is one, which is more than I can say for the Republican party. So are you saying that Rush, Palin, and the rest of the conservatives are wrong? When did you see the light.

bigmack
06-29-2010, 01:28 AM

I wondered about a guy who supposedly ate once a day.

Same typeA guy that drives a Prius.

LibCentral rolls with RollingStone.

How rich is that?

johnhannibalsmith
06-29-2010, 01:32 AM

I wondered about a guy who supposedly ate once a day.

Same typeA guy that drives a Prius.

LibCentral rolls with RollingStone.

How rich is that?

I may eat once a day, but I only drive gas guzzlers, preferably a straight six with Webers...