PDA

View Full Version : Whirlpool leaves Evansville Ind for Mexico

JustRalph
06-22-2010, 04:34 AM
Another one bites the Dust.............

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/20/us/20whirlpool.html?sq=whirlpool&st=cse&scp=2&pagewanted=all

In Indiana, Centerpiece for a City Closes Shop
By STEVEN GREENHOUSE
Published: June 19, 2010

EVANSVILLE, Ind. — Having seen her father make a solid living at the Whirlpool refrigerator factory, Natalie Ford was enthusiastic about landing a job there and was happy years later when her 20-year-old son also went to work there.

But that family tradition will soon end because Whirlpool plans to close the plant on Friday and move the operation to Mexico, eliminating 1,100 jobs here. Many in this city in southern Indiana are seething and sad — sad about losing what was long the city’s economic centerpiece and a ticket to the middle class for one generation after another.

“This is all about corporate greed,” said Ms. Ford, who took a job at Whirlpool 19 years ago. “It’s devastating to our family and to everyone in the plant. I wonder where we’ll be two years or four years from now. There aren’t any jobs here. How is this community going to survive?”

At a time when the nation’s economy is struggling to gain momentum, Whirlpool’s decision is an unwelcome step backward. It continues a trend in which the nation has lost nearly six million factory jobs over the past dozen years, representing one in three manufacturing jobs.

Connie Brasel, who earned $18.44 an hour making thermal liners for the refrigerators, sees Whirlpool’s move as a betrayal not just of the workers but also of the United States.

“This country made Whirlpool what it is,” she said. “They didn’t get world-class quality because they had the best managers. They got world-class quality because of the U.S. and because of their workers. And now they want to pack up and move to Mexico. I find it offensive.”

more at the link

Tampa Russ
06-22-2010, 07:22 AM
I've tried to remain positive and upbeat about things in general, but our manufacturing base "has left the building". We're destined for mediocrity.

Bettowin
06-22-2010, 09:18 AM
I feel for the people losing their jobs but if someone can learn your job in a day or two and you are making $18 an hour would you feel safe in that job? Especially with so many people out of work and willing to do it for much less here in the US. They will get what they pay for in Mexico. Our company has moved many assembly jobs to Mexico and labor costs are cheap but so many other issues pop up adding cost to the final product.

prospector
06-22-2010, 09:42 AM
unions take out another plant..

NJ Stinks
06-22-2010, 10:54 AM

Yep. Whirlpool didn't want to pay those greedy union workers $18 an hour. Try raising a family and paying your bills on $18 an hour ($37G's a year), Prospector, and then tell me how wonderful life is for overpaid union workers in the USA. :rolleyes:

Tom
06-22-2010, 11:11 AM
Well how much an hour do they make now?

boxcar
06-22-2010, 11:14 AM
Yep. Whirlpool didn't want to pay those greedy union workers $18 an hour. Try raising a family and paying your bills on $18 an hour ($37G's a year), Prospector, and then tell me how wonderful life is for overpaid union workers in the USA. :rolleyes:

Good for Whirlpool! Neither the government or the union provide a good business environment for these companies, whereby in a free market system a business can thrive and grow. And these corporations aren't in business for charitable purposes. Nor are they non-profit ventures. Having said this, I do feel badly for the people who will lose their jobs but their anger is misplaced. It should be directed at the oppressive government taxation and greedy union thugs.

By the way, NJ, apparently that mere 37Gs a year is sufficient to disqualify most welfare claims (unless you have a dozen kids or so, I suppose). Evidently, Big Greedy Gov doesn't think that kind of money qualifies a family for indigent status. But, of course, feel free to cry that river for us. I have my hip boots handy. :rolleyes:

Boxcar

TJDave
06-22-2010, 11:21 AM

If we can buy it cheaper, jobs be damned.

I'll bet that every laid off union worker owns Mexican or Chinese made products. Hypocrites all.

Bettowin
06-22-2010, 11:45 AM
If we can buy it cheaper, jobs be damned.

I'll bet that every laid off union worker owns Mexican or Chinese made products. Hypocrites all.

If you have ANY possesions I don't see how you cannot have Mexican or Chinese made products?

46zilzal
06-22-2010, 11:50 AM
the corptocracy continues to screw people over.

boxcar
06-22-2010, 12:15 PM
the corptocracy continues to screw people over.

Tell me, zilly, where is it written in the U.S. Constitution that "we the people" have a God-given right to guaranteed employment?

The only thing screwy around here is your head; for it's never been screwed on straight! :rolleyes:

Boxcar

GaryG
06-22-2010, 12:16 PM
30 years ago that plant was so big that Evansville was almost a company town. They can thank NAFTA for this one. They take our mfg jobs and we get all of their surplus population. A friend of mine from Guadalajara told me that the ones that sneak across the border are mainly unskilled and have no prospects there. Well, Evansville still has Ellis Park.

ArlJim78
06-22-2010, 12:34 PM
where are all the successful liberal minded manufacturing businesses? you know, the ones that pay several dollars per hour more than the competition and offer higher benefits yet can still compete in a world market? I always hear about corporate greed being the big evil, well why don't you guys show us how its done?

Robert Goren
06-22-2010, 12:55 PM
Nothing any good was ever made in Mexico.

boxcar
06-22-2010, 01:03 PM
Nothing any good was ever made in Mexico.

I thought Mexico was one of the enlightened countries in the world that we should be looking up to? :confused: Isn't BO's goal to bring America down a few pegs so that we can see the light from countries like Mexico? :rolleyes:

Boxcar

rastajenk
06-22-2010, 01:13 PM
What about tequila? Corona?

prospector
06-22-2010, 01:41 PM
our illegals would work cheaper than $18/hour and we could afford to keep the plant..its a no brainer $18 vs really cheap labor..moves every time..

think about how all prices have raised since unions took over shipping and manufacturing...i bought my first car for $3k +...benefits and salaries have taken car prices thru the roof..management and unions share the blame..

Robert Goren
06-22-2010, 01:59 PM
What about tequila? Corona? You have to be kidding. As I said nothing good was ever made in Mexico. I rest my case.;)

Black Ruby
06-22-2010, 02:20 PM
I thought Mexico was one of the enlightened countries in the world that we should be looking up to? :confused: Isn't BO's goal to bring America down a few pegs so that we can see the light from countries like Mexico? :rolleyes:

Boxcar

No, you're confusing that with Palin's goal of dumbing America down to her level, so we can all see Russia from our backyards.

NJ Stinks
06-22-2010, 02:23 PM
Good for Whirlpool! Neither the government or the union provide a good business environment for these companies, whereby in a free market system a business can thrive and grow.
Boxcar

The point is the government should be protecting jobs in the USA. Instead the government is protecting increased profits. The end result is the profits go to people to don't need the extra money anywhere near as much as the Americans who lose these jobs.

As for you and me, Boxcar, we can look forward to paying even more unemployment compensation when those 1,100 former employees start collecting.

Robert Goren
06-22-2010, 02:30 PM
The point is the government should be protecting jobs in the USA. Instead the government is protecting increased profits. The end result is the profits go to people to don't need the extra money anywhere near as much as the Americans who lose these jobs.

As for you and me, Boxcar, we can look forward to paying even more unemployment compensation when those 1,100 former employees start collecting. Don't worry he will bitching about that too.

NJ Stinks
06-22-2010, 02:37 PM
think about how all prices have raised since unions took over shipping and manufacturing...i bought my first car for $3k +...benefits and salaries have taken car prices thru the roof..management and unions share the blame..

When the hell did you buy that car?

I could have bought my house for $20,000 in 1970. I'm not selling it for at least ten times that today. Am I supposed to blame construction unions for the increased value of the house or inflation?

As a country, it appears we have decided that buying something cheaper is in the country's best interests - no matter what. One day - probably too late - almost everyone will agree we were flatout wrong.

Bettowin
06-22-2010, 02:39 PM
We need to help Mexico grow and prosper because it won't be long before everyone will be going there for healthcare:)

Tom
06-22-2010, 03:23 PM
Originally Posted by NJ Stinks
The point is the government should be protecting jobs in the USA.

What did Obama fail to do in this case?

TJDave
06-22-2010, 03:32 PM
our illegals would work cheaper than $18/hour and we could afford to keep the plant..its a no brainer $18 vs really cheap labor..moves every time..

What's the point of keeping the plant in the U.S. if workers aren't Americans?

And is $18 dollars excessive...Really?

At what price point do you ship labor overseas? Remember, most Mexican and Chinese laborers don't make $18 a day.

riskman
06-22-2010, 05:04 PM
http://www.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/lou.dobbs.tonight/popups/exporting.america/frameset.exclude.html

We can thank all of these U.S. companies in their effort to upgrade the living standard of citizens in the rest of the world and to further enrich their corporate execs and possibly their shareholders.
We know this is good for America because the price of their products will be significantly lower when exported back to the U.S :rolleyes: .
They all deserve an award for innovation and maybe even a tax break...the more jobs exported the bigger the tax break. Hell, it is the American way....

prospector
06-22-2010, 05:36 PM
When the hell did you buy that car?

I could have bought my house for $20,000 in 1970. I'm not selling it for at least ten times that today. Am I supposed to blame construction unions for the increased value of the house or inflation?

As a country, it appears we have decided that buying something cheaper is in the country's best interests - no matter what. One day - probably too late - almost everyone will agree we were flatout wrong.
1963 ford galaxy 500..sparkling blue...
looked almost as good as i did...back then

NJ Stinks
06-22-2010, 08:45 PM
What did Obama fail to do in this case?

He's failing to get out of these devastating free trade agreements. :mad:

From CBSNews.com on June 20th:

During the Democratic primary battle, Barack Obama (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/08/22/politics/main3193625.shtml) repeatedly criticized the North American Free Trade Agreement as bad for America, noting (http://www.barackobama.com/2008/02/24/remarks_for_senator_barack_oba_1.php) that "we can't keep passing unfair trade deals like NAFTA that put special interests over workers' interests."

More at the link below:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/06/20/politics/main4198107.shtml

cj's dad
06-22-2010, 09:16 PM

Very inaccurate statement - a person making $18 per hour is not the reason a company leaves for Mexico or any other country - it is because the owners are greedy - nothing more or less.

Making $18 p/h is a very average wage for a semi-skilled worker IMO !!

ArlJim78
06-22-2010, 10:09 PM
it doesn't matter what the wage is, if that plant was losing money, something has to give. decisions like this happen every day of the week. its about business, not greed. you adapt or die. not all plants/products remain viable forever and no job or factory is guaranteed. this was one plant. Whirlpool is still a big employer in the midwest.

Hanover1
06-22-2010, 10:27 PM
And Stephen Hawking finds all this meaningless........

Tom
06-22-2010, 10:44 PM
And Stephen Hawking finds all this meaningless........

And now that you mention it, just why is he not in the gulf plugging up that black hole?

Tom
06-22-2010, 10:46 PM
1963 ford galaxy 500..sparkling blue...
looked almost as good as i did...back then

I had a 1964 light blue convertible Galaxy. Cut out holes in the back seat arm rests and put in big speakers - blasted down the highway. This was about 1971.

bigmack
06-22-2010, 11:00 PM
I had a 1964 light blue convertible Galaxy. Cut out holes in the back seat arm rests and put in big speakers - blasted down the highway. This was about 1971.
I had a '62 Ford Fairlane. Black w/ a white top & red & white bucket seats. In 1982. :eek:

Here's one Whwwirlpool employee:

Mr. Reynolds, a forklift driver who has found a new job with a glass company, said: “I know there is a world economy out there. I know it’s hard for Whirlpool to pay me close to $18 an hour when in other parts of the world, workers are earning $4 or less an hour.”

Despite being laid off, he said he would feel forever indebted to Whirlpool.

“My son was born three months premature, and the hospital bill was just short of $250,000,” he said. “Because of Whirlpool’s health insurance, my child is healthy. Every day I look at his face, and I’m thankful for what I have because of Whirlpool. I just don’t want it to stop.”

What did you say?
I said Whwwirlpool.
Whwwwirlpool?
Yeah, Whwwwirlpool
Say whip.
Wip.

Hanover1
06-22-2010, 11:45 PM

Meanwhile, I'm cruisin in a '66 Mustang fastback (new).

highnote
06-23-2010, 11:57 PM
And now that you mention it, just why is he not in the gulf plugging up that black hole?

:lol:

highnote
06-24-2010, 12:13 AM
Some general thoughts on the issue...

I do think that Whirlpool -- or any company that leaves the U.S. to build a plant in a country with cheaper labor should help their U.S. employees learn new skills. I don't know what Whirlpool's policies are. Maybe they do help their U.S. employees adjust?

I don't think the union is to blame in this case. If Whirlpool would have closed up shop and moved to, say, Georgia, and hired non-union workers, they probably would not be able to find workers willing to work for low enough wages.

Was this Whirlpool division losing money or are the managers trying to maximize shareholder returns? Maybe this division was actually profitable, but they wanted more profit?

Have you ever wondered why German companies can manufacture quality products and still pay their workers living wages, but so many U.S. companies can not do the same?

Someday, if enough companies move to Mexico there won't be an immigration problem in the U.S. Everyone will be sneaking across the border to get a job in Mexico and low wages in Mexico will be more desirable than no wages in the U.S.

boxcar
06-24-2010, 01:35 AM
Some general thoughts on the issue...

I do think that Whirlpool -- or any company that leaves the U.S. to build a plant in a country with cheaper labor should help their U.S. employees learn new skills. I don't know what Whirlpool's policies are. Maybe they do help their U.S. employees adjust?

I don't think the union is to blame in this case. If Whirlpool would have closed up shop and moved to, say, Georgia, and hired non-union workers, they probably would not be able to find workers willing to work for low enough wages.

Was this Whirlpool division losing money or are the managers trying to maximize shareholder returns? Maybe this division was actually profitable, but they wanted more profit?

Have you ever wondered why German companies can manufacture quality products and still pay their workers living wages, but so many U.S. companies can not do the same?

Someday, if enough companies move to Mexico there won't be an immigration problem in the U.S. Everyone will be sneaking across the border to get a job in Mexico and low wages in Mexico will be more desirable than no wages in the U.S.

Since when have corporations become babysitters, tutors and nannies to ex-employers? You already have the government taking over those roles big time. Now you want corporations, too? :bang: :bang: You must be one very insecure human being -- afraid to to turn to the right or to the left unless someone is holding your little hand. :rolleyes:

Boxcar

highnote
06-24-2010, 01:56 AM
Since when have corporations become babysitters, tutors and nannies to ex-employers? You already have the government taking over those roles big time. Now you want corporations, too? :bang: :bang: You must be one very insecure human being -- afraid to to turn to the right or to the left unless someone is holding your little hand. :rolleyes:

Boxcar

I just think it is the right thing to do. When a person chooses to go to work for a company and a company chooses to invest in a person I think there are some obligations on the part of both.

If a company is going to spend hundreds of millions to build a new plant in a foreign country I don't think it is asking too much to help retrain their employees for work in other areas of the company.

If caring about the well being of my fellow countrymen is a sign of weakness in your opinion then by all means call me insecure. :cool:

JustRalph
06-24-2010, 06:50 AM

No healthcare costs at all for the employer. Government run healthcare is offloaded to the employees by having Universal Government run healthcare.

highnote
06-24-2010, 10:39 AM
No healthcare costs at all for the employer. Government run healthcare is offloaded to the employees by having Universal Government run healthcare.

That sounds like it's a part of it, but there must be more to it than that because even if German employers still paid for their employees' healthcare they wouldn;t they still pay higher wages than in Mexico or China?

One benefit of the E.U. and the common currency is that Germany now has neighbors who will buy their products. Now that Greece has to resort to austerity measures and other countries may soon follow there might not be anyone who can afford German products and then maybe they will move their factors to the far east and Mexico?

GameTheory
06-24-2010, 10:57 AM
Germany has high unemployment and is bleeding jobs to China and elsewhere, same as here. I think they are losing their jobs even faster, actually, since their labor costs are some of the highest anywhere. And nothing new is happening there. Where are the big German companies of the internet age? There are none.

highnote
06-24-2010, 11:40 AM
Germany has high unemployment and is bleeding jobs to China and elsewhere, same as here. I think they are losing their jobs even faster, actually, since their labor costs are some of the highest anywhere. And nothing new is happening there. Where are the big German companies of the internet age? There are none.

There you have it. My prophecy has come true -- although, I thought it would have taken a few years, not already have happened.

Story of my life -- often right, but timing is wrong. :D

Steve 'StatMan'
06-24-2010, 01:17 PM
At what price point do you ship labor overseas? Remember, most Mexican and Chinese laborers don't make $18 a day.

U.S. workers are (or were) encouraged to buy homes here, made of bricks, wood, cement & steel beams, not clay. Whole populations working for a lot less when they live in buildings made of clay. Hard to survive earthquakes & mudslides though. Oh yeah, that's right, foreign aid when that happens.

We don't want the U.S public to be forced to live 8 people to a 2 or 3 bedroom apartment like the workers that sneak here, undercut the locals, live on the floor in a shared room at a cheap monthly cost (you pay little, you get little) and send the excess out of the country back to family.

Steve 'StatMan'
06-24-2010, 01:25 PM
Well, Evansville still has Ellis Park.

For now, anyway. They almost closed in each of the last two years. Now the main employer is gone. Need people with disposable income to come to the track and bet & spend money. Not good for Ellis Park or the town at all - at least not unless they can attract new employers/businesses.

bigmack
06-24-2010, 01:42 PM
Germany is down to to about 7.5% unemployment. Not bad actually.

http://www.economicpopulist.org/files/u1/EUunemployment0510.png