PDA

View Full Version : Frankie Ga Ga goes to Hollywood. CHRB Meets June 22nd

andymays
06-21-2010, 12:25 PM
Jay Hovdey | June 20, 2010

Frank Goes to Hollywood

http://hovdeyblog.drf.com/hovdeyblog/2010/06/on-the-morning-of-tuesday-june-22-in-a-very-large-room-at-hollywood-park-frank-stronach-is-supposed-to-appear-before-the-c.html

Excerpt:

On the morning of Tuesday, June 22, in a very large room at Hollywood Park, Frank Stronach is scheduled to appear before the California Horse Racing Board. The anticipation for this appearance tremendous. Think Hannah Montana and Justin Bieber on a double bill, if your'e a 13-year-old girl.

Stronach is buried deep on the agenda -- 15th of 17 items -- but that's the way it should be. You don't run the first race and then go right to the Travers. So intense is the interest in this particular board meeting that the CHRB has come up with the money to resume its live web audiocast, which had been discontinued for lack of funds.

The webcast can be found at www.chrb.ca.gov, but chances are it won't be easy listening.

What will Stronach say, and how will he say it? Speculation has been running rampant. Even those who consider themselves blessed with insight have only a fleeting idea what he will propose as a solution to the challenges faced by the Stronach-led MI Developments, which has taken control of Santa Anita and Golden Gate Fields from the now defunct, Stronach-led Magna Entertainment. Given the choice, a racetrack would rather be owned by an entertainment company than a real estate company, but that ship sailed a long time ago.

andymays
06-21-2010, 12:37 PM
I believe the meeting starts at 9:30 am. Remember you can log on for the audio.

Frankie Ga Ga takes center stage near the end. It should be something to hear.

DJofSD
06-21-2010, 01:39 PM
To point out the obvious, having Frank as item number 15 will allow the board to conduct other business, first, before getting to the dog and pony show.

Andy, did you buy those tomatoes yet?

andymays
06-21-2010, 01:42 PM
To point out the obvious, having Frank as item number 15 will allow the board to conduct other business, first, before getting to the dog and pony show.

This is gonna be a big event. I wish they had live streaming and showed close ups of the faces of people in the crowd when Frankie Ga Ga speaks.

It will be priceless. :D

DJofSD
06-21-2010, 02:46 PM
The judge left out a pair of agencies that has almost bankrupted the country: Fannie and Freddie.

andymays
06-21-2010, 03:39 PM
Stronach to address horse racing board on Santa Anita - Whittier Daily News
http://www.whittierdailynews.com/news/ci_15334694

Excerpt:

The California Horse Racing Board's meeting Tuesday at Hollywood Park could shed some light on the direction of Santa Anita Park.

Canadian mogul Frank Stronach, chairman of MI Developments, is scheduled to address the board on a number of issues, including a potential new racetrack surface for Santa Anita and the recent cancellation of its lease with the charitable Oak Tree Racing Association.

"I think that the board is looking for a good resolution of the future of Santa Anita, something that assures that Santa Anita stays in place and is going to be a good citizen of the racing community and of the community in general," said CHRB member John Harris.

Read more: Stronach to address horse racing board on Santa Anita - Whittier Daily News http://www.whittierdailynews.com/news/ci_15334694#ixzz0rWBvssyA

toussaud
06-21-2010, 04:38 PM
like normally I don't get into this kinda stuff.. you better believe i'm logging in. they could charge for this.

rwwupl
06-21-2010, 05:10 PM
This is gonna be a big event. I wish they had live streaming and showed close ups of the faces of people in the crowd when Frankie Ga Ga speaks.

It is my understanding that they have an expert company quote, that will provide 4 cameras, microphones for all concerned, with the latest technology,movie like picture,top quality sound, that will satellite the signal over the USA.

This would be the ideal solution, but funding is the main problem, there is interest on the Board, I understand.

The program to be presented for the Stronach meeting will be audio only, provided by the people who had handled the previous webcasts. This is being done for this meeting as a one shot deal due to popular request, and the CHRB mission to inform the public and protect the bettor.

The Bettor(who is scattered all over the USA) must be informed of important events in advance of the fact,not after the fact, and/or "live" or he has no chance to contribute.

The next step (in process) is to go out for bid on a one year contract for audio only.

The funding process was interupted a while back by a change in the way the CHRB is funded.

I think everything will work out... there are people who are working on it.

Please listen in 9:30 AM 6-22-10 and be informed ...it should be news worthy.

Thanks, roger@hanaweb.org
rwwupl

InsideThePylons-MW
06-22-2010, 12:12 AM
Second hand rumor/info heard on the street is that Frankie was supposed to be in CA this morning and as of earlier tonight, he was not in CA yet.

Igeteven
06-22-2010, 12:19 AM
Second hand rumor/info heard on the street is that Frankie was supposed to be in CA this morning and as of earlier tonight, he was not in CA yet.

It would not surprise me if he sends a rep to replace him, I have seen him once, and this I can tell you, he has no patience for a meeting that he is going to be front and center.

So I am giving 5-1 that he doesn't show up

any takers

rwwupl
06-22-2010, 09:33 AM

Tomatoes are banned...but you might get a cool "Franks Energy Drink"..

If anyone misses the live broadcast, expect the archived version to be up as early as Wednesday morning.

roger@hanaweb.org

andymays
06-22-2010, 09:58 AM

If anyone misses the live broadcast, expect the archived version to be up as early as Wednesday morning.

roger@hanaweb.org

I wonder if Frank is pissed off that they're broadcasting it?

I also wonder if the CHRB isn't broadcasting it to show the world how nuts this man is (in my opinion of course ;) ).

Strategy?

Horseplayersbet.com
06-22-2010, 10:01 AM

roger@hanaweb.org
Full cans of Full Energy Drink can cause a lot more damage if hurled than tomatoes.

andymays
06-22-2010, 11:35 AM
Stronach, CHRB ready for pow wow

http://www.insidesocal.com/horseracing/

Excerpt:

If Stronach is smart, he won't show up at Hollywood Park making demands and saying it's his way or the highway. This is the time when he needs to sound a conciliatory tone and try to work with other racing officials. He should raise his concerns and give his ideas about how to fix things but avoid issuing ultimatums.

Which Stronach will appear at Hollywood Park? It's anybody's guess. We're not even sure if he'll reveal today what type of racing surface will be installed at Santa Anita in time for the 2010-11 meet. Oak Tree is still salvagable, but don't count on that happening. Hollywood Park is likely to host the Oak Tree meet this fall.

Today's meeting, with Stronach listed as No. 15 on a 17-item agenda, promises to be an interesting one. If you have an interest in the sport, you'll want to tune in to the CHRB's webcast, which begins at 9:30 a.m. You can find the link at www.chrb.ca.gov.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Live Audiocast @ 9:30 am Pst @ www.chrb.ca.gov

andymays
06-22-2010, 11:42 AM
I predict a fiasco.

Frank will piss off 80% to 90% of the room and leave town. Then the lawsuits start flying.

I hope I'm wrong but his past performances say otherwise.

Fingal
06-22-2010, 11:55 AM

Anybody have a laptop with a web cam ?

andymays
06-22-2010, 12:09 PM
You can log on now if you want to.

I don't think they have ever had this many people listening in so it might fill up early.

andymays
06-22-2010, 12:37 PM
They're late getting started. I'm sure they had to pass out the Xanax and Aspirin before they get on with the event.

It's live now at 9:37 am pst.

Jerry Moss is late to the meeting but is en route.

Jerry Jam first to speak. They interrupted him right off the bat.

Slams the CHRB and got some applause!

InsideThePylons-MW
06-22-2010, 12:50 PM
Jerry Jam wants to raise host fees to ADW's

He's out in my book.

Another moron that wants to raise prices on a deteriorating product.

I'm glad he showed his hand.

Pegram said the same thing in the articles about him.

Why does everyone think that raising prices is the solution?

andymays
06-22-2010, 12:56 PM
Jerry Moss gets a round of applause for Zenyatta as he walks in 25 minutes late!

exiles
06-22-2010, 01:08 PM
Did Frankie speak yet?

andymays
06-22-2010, 01:09 PM
Did Frankie speak yet?

No. You can log on at www.chrb.ca.gov

go to webcasts.

They're going over simulcasts facilities in California and standards for them. Right now they cannot enforce any standards so they may franchise them.

Jerry Jam back on stage. Says CHRB shouldn't give liscences to facilities that are substandard and reflect poorly on Horse Racing.

andymays
06-22-2010, 01:40 PM
I think Brackpool is going way out of bounds with his sarcasm.

The blowback is just starting back at him.

surfdog89
06-22-2010, 01:45 PM
Thanks for posting this

andymays
06-22-2010, 01:46 PM
Thanks for posting this

It's an eye opener if you've never listened before.

The main event is still coming.

Jerry Jam has his third trip to the microphone. He hammers the CHRB again but he hammers CARF more.

senortout
06-22-2010, 01:51 PM
They just finished talking about satellite outlets in San Mateo County. They are opposed to somebody else building too close to theirs...and want to build another, placed so it doesn't impact their first one. Whatever. Satellite outlets are doomed with home wagering making the larger gains...why build more?

Just asking(maybe you can't bet from home in California?) That would make a huge difference....

DJofSD
06-22-2010, 01:52 PM
In part, the discussion was about protecting the fairs.

andymays
06-22-2010, 02:16 PM
Jerry Jams fourth trip to the microphone.

He wants the CHRB to control all these things.

Says he frustrated by the adversarial nature of the Board today. Much laughing.

DeanT
06-22-2010, 02:17 PM
OK, now that was funny :D

andymays
06-22-2010, 02:42 PM
Lets get ready to ruuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmble! ;)

Here come Frankie Ga Ga. Only one person clapped.

He wants to pray not to threaten.

freeeee enterrrrprissse. :)

He's going off the reservation. He's talking like he's the CHRB.

I'm laughing. :D

andymays
06-22-2010, 02:52 PM
I think #2 wins the poll.

Fiasco. More uncertainty. More chaos.

InsideThePylons-MW
06-22-2010, 02:53 PM
Oh my!

Racing in CA is dead!

andymays
06-22-2010, 02:53 PM
Oh my!

Racing in CA is dead!

You can't make this stuff up. The ultimate reality show. :lol:

Nothing about the surface yet. Frank doesn't want to be specific he wants to sit down with somebody.

He's not making any sense. He's running to his PP's. Now he's getting pissed.

chickenhead
06-22-2010, 02:55 PM
summary? I need a good laugh!

andymays
06-22-2010, 02:56 PM

You have got to listen to the archives. It's a mess.

Now he's going after Brackpool with some justification by the way.

He goes after Israel for a previous comment about cement shoes.

Israel and Stronach are getting real pissed and going after each other. Voices are being raised big time.

InsideThePylons-MW
06-22-2010, 02:59 PM

Babbling Austrian berating a bunch of inept morons who were hoping the babbling Austrian was going to have a plan to save racing in CA.

DeanT
06-22-2010, 03:01 PM
Frankie scores there with the inflexibility and lack of business sense that he encounters with boards like this, and racing in general.

He could not be more right on that, imo. You dont go from a guy who can make billions in the private sector to a moron virtually overnight without barriers from this dysfunctional business.

andymays
06-22-2010, 03:02 PM
Frank is gonna pass out. I hope they have the ambulance handy.

Mike_412
06-22-2010, 03:05 PM
For those that aren't listening or would like a recap, just click this and keep hitting refresh every so often.

http://www.paulickreport.com/blog/paulick-live-blogs-portions-of-todays-chrb-meeting-featuring-frank-stronach/ (http://www.paulickreport.com/blog/paulick-live-blogs-portions-of-todays-chrb-meeting-featuring-frank-stronach/)

andymays
06-22-2010, 03:07 PM
Turn out the lights. More people will leave after this.

Mike_412
06-22-2010, 03:18 PM
I love Stronach's last line of "I come here with simple words that you can understand."

I've had no clue what he's been saying since he started speaking.

andymays
06-22-2010, 03:18 PM
Bo Derek just accused him of driving away the Breeders Cup for 2011.

It keeps getting better.

They finally mention the surface. One board member said the mandate was a mistake.

InsideThePylons-MW
06-22-2010, 03:24 PM
Israel said "a racetrack is not a comparable to a store"......WTF?

andymays
06-22-2010, 03:25 PM
Frank is talking about the long run. What long run?

There aint gonna be short run.

I don't care what people say. This guy isn't all there in my opinion. No how no way.

DeanT
06-22-2010, 03:26 PM
I love Stronach's last line of "I come here with simple words that you can understand."

I've had no clue what he's been saying since he started speaking.

:D

Too funny Mike.

andymays
06-22-2010, 03:27 PM
:D

Too funny Mike.
My sides are hurting I'm laughing so much. This is priceless.

Vee vant everyone to sit down and open a store and keep it open venever vee vant.

InsideThePylons-MW
06-22-2010, 03:27 PM
Oh no....The Quadruple Quadfecta

Boomer can start lobbying for the minimum bet to be a penny on that one.

andymays
06-22-2010, 03:39 PM
Now we got a lady going nuts about racing Arabians at Santa Anita. I think she's gonna pass out too.

Maybe everyone at the meeting will pass out.

Roy C
06-22-2010, 03:42 PM
"I hope they bring back Arabians too!"-Ritchie Fingers

elhelmete
06-22-2010, 03:43 PM
Now we got a lady going nuts about racing Arabians at Santa Anita. I think she's gonna pass out too.

Maybe everyone at the meeting will pass out.

And now she's back at Whole Foods in Santa Monica.... :lol: :lol:

letswastemoney
06-22-2010, 03:43 PM
"It’s up to you people…you hand out the dates," said Stronach. "You say right now we won’t give you any dates so we can’t have the Breeders’ Cup."

"You never asked for dates," said Brackpool.

"You could have picked up the phone and called me," said Stronach.

lol 5th graders arguing

andymays
06-22-2010, 03:47 PM
Jerry Jam up for the fifth time.

MID controls California racing and you can't do anything about it.

He's calling out the CHRB again with some justification.

Then he calls out David Israel.

DeanT
06-22-2010, 03:49 PM
Gibson Carothers once said "I can’t recall a client [racing] who was so conflicted about its own product.”

For about the sixth time today I have heard someone say "we have to fix the sport". It's a gaming product as most people are learning. How can they fix something when the speakers have no idea what we are?

DJofSD
06-22-2010, 03:50 PM
What is the tapping or clapping that seems to be a constant background noise? Any one else hearing that?

Horseplayersbet.com
06-22-2010, 04:02 PM
Without a racetrack horses can't run, without owners there is no need for a racetrack......not one mention of the customer. This meeting is a joke regarding Stronach. The only thing I understood from Stronach is the idea of a lottery bet. If it can get mandated, it is a good idea. But a quadra pentafecta or whatever he is proposing will never fly. A pick 9 or 10 lottery, yes.

Stronach keeps saying he put in his money, and the board agrees with him. No, he put in investor money, and the investors wound up with nothing.

andymays
06-22-2010, 04:03 PM
And here comes Frank again. He basically says he doesn't want Oak Tree at Santa Anita.

DeanT
06-22-2010, 04:12 PM
Brackpool seems level headed enough. I am not much for that Israel dude, though.

andymays
06-22-2010, 04:13 PM
Brackpool seems level headed enough. I am not much for that Israel dude, though.

I've battled with him before.

All sides have their "things". Brackpool was too sarcastic and playing to the crowd earlier.

I have no confidence in the future of California Racing.

They are about to beg him to let Oak Tree race there. I guess Frank just said he would now let Oak Tree Race this year.

Deepsix
06-22-2010, 04:24 PM
Re: Oak Tree- as the CHRB hearing wound down I walked around the house for a little while. It then struck me 'MID and Oak Tree will announce and agreement tomorrow afternoon.' Then I told myself... Naw, thats too obvious. There's gotta be a little more maneuvering from Stronach, right?

senortout
06-22-2010, 04:27 PM
I think it was more or less agreed that they could hold the Oak Tree meet in 2010.
"
Of course, there was a ton of double-speak at that meeting. "You can pick up the phone and call me about stuff".....makes sense if you stop and think about it. But he is a stubborn man. I think he thought it was gonna be easy to fix racing when he started purchasing all those racetracks....There are now way, way too many people with their big thumb in the pie for that.

Generally, I would think that satellite outlets would fail to meet a minimum return on investment, though, that last one which was accepted and passed was logical, and should do well.....that was the sports oriented bar and dining area and would not add a ton more overhead to their already successful enterprise. Someone help me what was the name of the place? I should take notes....

andymays
06-22-2010, 04:28 PM
I think there's a chance Chili might come back and say they won't race at Santa Anita. It they do they will be admitting that Oak Tree will end after his year. Just a guess.

Oak Tree accepts the one year extension.

andymays
06-22-2010, 04:37 PM
Frank is hopeless.

He's gonna experiment again with another unique surface. Unbelievable.

andymays
06-22-2010, 05:11 PM
The first words that came to mind were How Bizarre.

OMC - How Bizarre

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAxFc1k-2wA

bisket
06-22-2010, 05:16 PM
franks mystery dirt? :lol: how much manure is mixed in? just to think we were a whisker from getting rid of this clown in md :bang:

rwwupl
06-22-2010, 05:57 PM
excerpt from above:
Horesplayersbet.com,

Without a racetrack horses can't run, without owners there is no need for a racetrack......not one mention of the customer. This meeting is a joke regarding Stronach.

No specific plan, no leadership, lots of sqaubbling,no direction... only a stopgap,band-Aid, for Oak Tree and a half hearted vague agreement to "sit down and talk" in the near future.

I liked the idea of the Board asking some real questions,this time.

I was entertained,but not encouraged. There is a lot of work to do.But I have faith that somehow it will get done... and I think it was clear that no one there thought horse racing was through in California,but it is changing.

Show Me the Wire
06-22-2010, 06:49 PM
franks mystery dirt? :lol: how much manure is mixed in? just to think we were a whisker from getting rid of this clown in md :bang:

Every one should get use to the idea that traditional dirt surfaces will be going the way of the dodo bird. It is too costly to replace the substructure and infrastructure of the old, 75 years and older, dirt courses to the original specifications. As the old bases crumble to the point of no return, tracks will look to different surfaces, which can be supported on more affordable substructures, etc.

Deepsix
06-22-2010, 06:59 PM
Another crisis averted... first NYRA had no $$$$ and that was resolved. Now, Oak Tree will happen this year at the Great Race Place. All is good. <smile>

Horseplayersbet.com
06-22-2010, 07:20 PM
Frank is hopeless.

He's gonna experiment again with another unique surface. Unbelievable.
It is a mixture of silicon and sand. Stronach must have been inspired by Bo Derek running on the beach in the movie 10.
http://fashionista.com/_old/2009/07/08/bo_derek_gallery_main%5B1%5D.jpg

BluegrassProf
06-22-2010, 07:24 PM
Every one should get use to the idea that traditional dirt surfaces will be going the way of the dodo bird. It is too costly to replace the substructure and infrastructure of the old, 75 years and older, dirt courses to the original specifications. As the old bases crumble to the point of no return, tracks will look to different surfaces, which can be supported on more affordable substructures, etc.Darn right! And where better to go for answers to the invariably vexing issue of dirt tracks than to equestrian centers in Spain and Vienna? Frank, you've done it again, naysayers be damned! :ThmbUp:

Places were they race on dirt - the US, Japan, and just about anywhere in South America, etc. - have nothing but perplexed experts and apathetic horsemen who, sadly, just don't give a damn. And heck, it's a unique surface, so you're still playing Mr. Forward-Thinker, Dr. Frank. Good for you, looking for answers way outside the box! :jump:

Always fighting the good fight...never give up, never surrender, Mr. Stronach! CHRB to the left of us, NYRA to the right of us - ours not to make reply, ours not to reason why - ours but to bet and buy!

Ever forward!

kenwoodall2
06-22-2010, 07:49 PM
WOW! In all this chaos, the most telling thing about Stroonach was the part where, istead of requesting dates, FS said the CHRB should have called him (and begged him to take date?). I guess the guy wants to do what he was doing when he first bought SA- talk about being more worried about houses and stores at SA and not being much aware of anything racing.
From this thread reports of the CHRB meeting, Ca racing leaderless, listing badly, and drifting. Egotistical in-fighting just to end up with a couple of reversals- Plubber and Oak Tree.

andymays
06-22-2010, 08:01 PM
Every one should get use to the idea that traditional dirt surfaces will be going the way of the dodo bird. It is too costly to replace the substructure and infrastructure of the old, 75 years and older, dirt courses to the original specifications. As the old bases crumble to the point of no return, tracks will look to different surfaces, which can be supported on more affordable substructures, etc.

I don't think you heard what he said. The surface he's gonna put in has some pretty unique aspects. He's going to put it in on a training track in the next few months and then at Santa Anita next year. It will be a major renovation.

http://www.drf.com/news/article/114106.html

Excerpt:

Stronach was a reluctant participant in the installation of synthetic tracks in California in 2007. Santa Anita's Cushion Track surface failed to drain sufficiently when it was initially installed. It was later replaced with a Pro-Ride brand surface in the summer of 2008. The base of the Pro-Ride surface also had drainage problems.

He said the potential replacement surface would be tested at Palm Meadows in heat and rain. The surface consists largely of silica sand, with cloth fibers mixed into the surface , and has been used at equestrian centers in Spain and in Vienna, he said.

The new surface would not be ready for either the Oak Tree meeting in September or the traditional winter-spring meeting at Santa Anita that opens on Dec. 26.

"That gives us time to hold the discussions properly and get the testimonials from jockeys and trainers," he said. "It's basically got pipes underneath, a liner, and you have a filter and silica sand. You have new nylon, about an inch square. It's no oils. I believe it's the best surface for horses."

Show Me the Wire
06-22-2010, 08:08 PM
I don't think you heard what he said. The surface he's gonna put in has some pretty unique aspects. He's going to put it in on a training track in the next few months and then at Santa Anita next year. It will be a major renovation.

I don't think you are understanding what I am saying. Maybe answering these question will help?

Why does he have to put in an unique dirt surface if the traditional (sandy loom, not the wood chip variety) dirt track worked well? Why fix what ain't broken?

andymays
06-22-2010, 08:12 PM
I don't think you are inderstanding what I am saying. Maybe answering these question will help?

Why does he have to put in an unique dirt surface if the traditional (sandy loom, not the wood chip variety) dirt track worked well? Why fix what ain't broken?

The man is crazy. The surface he's talking about has never experienced the kind of traffic that takes place on a daily basis at Santa Anita during a given year.

Tomorrow he's going to meet with the Horsemen in the morning. I doubt that it will go well.

Show Me the Wire
06-22-2010, 08:18 PM
The man is crazy. The surface he's talking about has never experienced the kind of traffic that takes place on a daily basis at Santa Anita during a given year.

Tomorrow he's going to meet with the Horsemen in the morning. I doubt that it will go well.

He is crazy enough to understand this unique dirt surface will be able to utilize the existing substructures.

bisket
06-22-2010, 08:19 PM
i just don't get why there is all this determination to reinvent the wheel. i thought for sure there would be a new surface at santa anita by this winter. its ridiculous.

andymays
06-22-2010, 08:22 PM
He is crazy enough to understand this unique dirt surface will be able to utilize the existing substructures.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. The old base has to be dug up because it doesn't work well. According to him pipes have to be put in below the surface because that's the way they water it.

Did you listen to the meeting? If you didn't then you should know that it was unlike any meeting you could ever imagine. I can't do it justice by explaining it in writing. You have to listen to the archived meeting or you will never fully appreciate the dysfunctional nature of California racing.

BluegrassProf
06-22-2010, 08:23 PM
He is crazy enough to understand this unique dirt surface will be able to utilize the existing substructures. :D I love this!

"Yea, he's crazy........crazy like a fox!!"

Yee-ikes.

andymays
06-22-2010, 08:26 PM
:D I love this!

"Yea, he's crazy........crazy like a fox!!"

Yee-ikes.

I can understand people who have not followed this for the last several months not getting it. I can understand people who haven't listened to the meeting thinking it was a normal meeting.

But if you listened to the meeting and feel good about what he said and how the meeting went in general then I don't know what to say.

Frank isn't close to being all there in my informed opinion. Not even close.

BluegrassProf
06-22-2010, 08:34 PM
I can understand people who have not followed this for the last several months not getting it. I can understand people who haven't listened to the meeting thinking it was a normal meeting.

But if you listened to the meeting and feel good about what he said and how the meeting went in general then I don't know what to say.

Frank isn't close to being all there in my informed opinion. Not even close.You know I'm right there with ya - it's ab-so-lutely BAFFLING. "Frank isn't close to being there" would very likely qualify for PaceAdvantage understatment of the year.

Now, that said, even if you missed today's meeting (for which they should've had cartoon sound effects, like slide whistles and foghorns), cheers for a new unique surface are still nothing short of insanity. A mass exodus from CA continues to loom large. Solutions? Roadblocks and pro-ride 2.0.

BAFFLING.

andymays
06-22-2010, 08:38 PM
You know I'm right there with ya - it's ab-so-lutely BAFFLING. "Frank isn't close to being there" would very likely qualify for PaceAdvantage understatment of the year.

Now, that said, even if you missed today's meeting (for which they should've had cartoon sound effects, like slide whistles and foghorns), cheers for a new unique surface are still nothing short of insanity. A mass exodus from CA continues to loom large. Solutions? Roadblocks and pro-ride 2.0.

BAFFLING.

I think this meeting was the last straw for some of the Trainers, Owners, and Breeders in the state. They basically put everything off pending more "sit downs" and circular firing squads. I will not be surprised if Frank breaks more news tomorrow in his meeting with the Horsemen. It wouldn't surprise me if he contradicts some of the stuff he said today.

This was a total embarrassment for California racing.

toussaud
06-22-2010, 08:42 PM
I think this meeting was the last straw for some of the Trainers, Owners, and Breeders in the state. They basically put everything off pending more "sit downs" and circular firing squads. I will not be surprised if Frank breaks more news tomorrow in his meeting with the Horsemen. It wouldn't surprise me if he contradicts some of the stuff he said today.

so what do you think will happen overall?

I don't thik cali racing is as bad off as everyone makes it. it still takes the second most amount of money behind new york.

but their state breeding program is a joke, trainers are running the show with 3 horse fields in no and so cal

andymays
06-22-2010, 08:44 PM
so what do you think will happen overall?

I don't thik cali racing is as bad off as everyone makes it. it still takes the second most amount of money behind new york.

but their state breeding program is a joke, trainers are running the show with 3 horse fields in no and so cal

You have to listen to the archived meeting. You will have a different opinion if you listen to it. It was way way out there.

Horseplayersbet.com
06-22-2010, 08:47 PM

If there is a loophole, it wouldn't shock me if it is used and the deal to run the Oak Tree meet goes south.

Today's meeting reminded me of a WWF wrestling match. Complete with the Stronach-Mills tag team. The only thing missing was someone breaking a chair over someone's head.

andymays
06-22-2010, 08:55 PM
If there is a loophole, it wouldn't shock me if it is used and the deal to run the Oak Tree meet goes south.

Today's meeting reminded me of a WWF wrestling match. Complete with the Stronach-Mills tag team. The only thing missing was someone breaking a chair over someone's head.

Given the way it was going I would'nt have been surprised if a fight broke out, or if someone had a stroke or a heart attack. That's how bad it went.

And you're right something can change by tomorrow easily.

kenwoodall2
06-22-2010, 10:02 PM
http://andrewsbowen.co.uk/?page_id=10

andymays
06-22-2010, 10:09 PM

He said the new one wouldn't have any wax.

DJofSD
06-22-2010, 10:24 PM
If this is suppose to be convincing, you had better wake up and smell the coffee.

The suface is in a show ring. It sees nothing close to the pounding a T'bred track receives. A show ring is not used by hundreds of horses every day nor is it used every day. The amount of money spent to maintain it is a fraction compared to a full race track like Santa Anita.

But, on the other hand, this will be a great justification for the board members to take a European fact-finding tour at tax payers expense, because, you know, they won't foist this upon the racing fan without thoroughly gathering all the facts and doing their due diligence. No, that would never happen.

andymays
07-09-2010, 10:44 AM
MI Developments shareholders file suit over track acquisitions

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/national-news/2010/July/08/MI-Developments-shareholders-file-suit-over-track-acquisitions.aspx

Excerpt:

A group of MI Developments Inc. shareholders upset with the real estate company’s acquisition of racetracks from its bankrupt subsidiary Magna Entertainment Corp. are pursuing litigation in Canada.

The Toronto Star reports five U.S.-based investment firms claim that through related-party loans and other transactions MI Developments ensured the racetrack assets of Magna Entertainment would remain under the control of Frank Stronach, who controls MI Developments and had controlled the bankrupt subsidiary as founder and chairman.

DJofSD
07-09-2010, 10:51 AM
The claim, filed in Ontario Superior Court of Justice, says MI Developments directors breached fiduciary duties by approving loans that “were not reasonable and fair.”

Like the previous actions, this one will be dismissed as without merit.