PDA

View Full Version : Al Campanis .....what would he say...??

JustRalph
06-21-2010, 03:55 AM
If you don't know who Al Campanis was, and what he said that got him fired, see the link below:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Campanis

Then check out this article................ :lol:

http://a.abcnews.com/images/site/printlogo.jpg

African-American Kids Don't Have to Drown
Researchers Offer Ways to Cut Disproportionate Drownings Among Black Youth

By RON E. CLAIBORNE and REBECCA HILLMAN
June 20, 2010—

Monday marks the official start of summer, which, for many Americans, means visits to the pool or trips to the beach.

But the American Academy of Pediatrics is urging caution when it comes to summer splashing. Drowning is the second leading cause of unintentional injury-related death for those younger than 19 and can be prevented, the group says.

One demographic in particular, African-Americans, is threatened by the statistic. Black children drown at a rate more than three times that of white children.

While 40 percent of white children were found to have low or no swimming ability, the same was true for nearly 70 percent of African-American children, a YMCA survey shows. Latino children also lag in their swimming level, with 58 percent at low or no swimming ability.

African-American children with parents who themselves do not know how to swim are less likely to know or to be encouraged to learn how. And, as for why African-Americans show less of a proclivity for swimming, several reasons are apparently to blame.

more at the link

OTM Al
06-21-2010, 09:40 AM
Campanis would probably clain its because blacks have an extra bone in their ankles so they can't swim so well, given his previous statements.

Seriously though, this is a big problem in NYC. Seems like at least one Afr. Am. kid is drown every week on the beaches. It's often not a matter of not knowing how to swim, but getting snatched in the rip tides that frequent our beaches and not knowing to relax and let it take you down the shore. If you don't it's over pretty quick. The majority of these kids aren't wealthy by any means. They go to the beach beacuse that's about all the vacation they are going to get and I'd also venture that they go there to get cooled off as well as AC can be quite an expense for people with low incomes. My electric bills get ridiculous in the summer and I only have AC in one room. Add to that the cutbacks in lifeguards and I expect to see the rescue copters going over head frequently this summer.

toetoe
06-21-2010, 01:29 PM
A.B.C. is a stupid network.

It is a racist network.

It is an unconstitutional network.

And don't try quoting me. If you quote me, it will be out of context. :rolleyes: .

JustRalph
06-21-2010, 05:20 PM
I think Campanis was out there ..........

But when I saw this article I couldn't help but think of him.......

It is obviously a cultural issue and not one of physicality......I wish he was here to read it....... :lol:

OTM Al
06-21-2010, 06:39 PM
I think Campanis was out there ..........

But when I saw this article I couldn't help but think of him.......

It is obviously a cultural issue and not one of physicality......I wish he was here to read it....... :lol:

Honestly I think it really is more of an economic issue than a cultural one. I would venture to guess that if you looked at the income levels of the victims, at least in the big cities, you would find that they were pretty low, regardless of race.

cj's dad
06-21-2010, 07:02 PM
Joe Frazier - love the guy but he sure can't swim !!

BTW- superstars was a blast !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPk2zl5s6xM

Rookies
06-21-2010, 07:19 PM
Honestly I think it really is more of an economic issue than a cultural one. I would venture to guess that if you looked at the income levels of the victims, at least in the big cities, you would find that they were pretty low, regardless of race.

I'm pretty close to this conclusion.

I didn't see any reference to the 'physicality' aspect Ralph- who's differences Campana espoused according to race- thus crashing him on the rocks of public opinion.

Overcoming socio-economic disadvantages are the #1 hindrance to advancement in many societal aspects- certainly education, but also any of the 'normal' bits of life.

Race, can obviously be an additional component in conjunction with lower s-e status. On a personal basis, I have been to both Myrtle & Virginia beaches with my family and more than once. At the water parks there, I rarely saw non whites. At the beaches I did- but very few, including grown men, women and young adults were venturing in the ocean. The people I saw were bussed from Christian day camp trips and the names of the places on the bus suggested towns much further inland.

Historically, because these are in the South, I'll bet few black adults (as the article suggests) learned how to swim in their youth. They simply might have lacked non segregated facilities to learn, especially the lawn- tennis clubs of my youth.

On the other hand, the article doesn't allude to this at all- but I will. Another critical component of lower s-e status is actually having TWO parents at home. Stats also show that there are a disproportionate number of American minority families with that critical factor, therefore rendering an enormous challenge for the single parent- usually the Mom to get the kids out anywhere.

And you didn't mention the big factor cited by the article Ralph- fear of drowning. To me, this is one which, like learning to drive, grows with age. There was no doubt, when I saw that day camp group, that despite the blistering heat, they were afraid to go more than a very few feet in the water.

Adding this... And the academy has concluded separately that younger children may benefit from swimming classes, a reversal of its earlier position that recommended against such lessons for toddlers.

Duhhhhh ! Why would they have ever thought differently ?

Contrast that with my son, who as you know is mentally challenged. He was first in a pool 6 weeks after his birth and an ocean on the Jersey Shore by the age of 1- with me. He learned all the swimming steps and was in Myrtle/Virginia/Ocean City when he was 9. Consequently, he NEVER learned to fear the water, because his parents had the wearwithall and the time and energy to get him into lessons.

While my small neighbourhood in TO is predominantly white, it is moreso, at least middle income. As it happens, I have neighbours on two sides that are black or a black/ white combo couple. Both of the latter couple work and the woman across the street is a professor, her youngest son has an MBA + a Law Degree, the other sons are businessmen. One may even be a church-youth organizer. ;)

I'd bet my life all those kids/adults know how to swim.