PDA

View Full Version : This guy was no joke

sonnyp
06-20-2010, 12:31 AM
manute bol died today at 47 years of age. i went to college with this guy. a lot of people thought of him as a joke. he was 7'7" and led the league 2 years in shot blocks.

basketball, however, was not what this guy was about, and he certainly was not a joke. he spent every nickle of what he earned in the NBA, 10's of millions, trying to do whatever he could to help the people suffering in his homeland the sudan.

i really don't know what to make of chares barkley at times, but even he, in a serious moment, said he respected nobody more than manute bol.

makes you wonder about some of the spoiled, self centered guys playing professional sports today when you see a guy like this.

Dave Schwartz
06-20-2010, 01:42 AM
Sonny, you nailed his character perfectly. He was an unselfish man.
:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

kenwoodall2
06-20-2010, 12:16 PM
He played for my home team (NBA) and was always nice and respectful. If I remember right did tiny bit more than dunk and block shots.

lamboguy
06-20-2010, 12:26 PM
i didn't know what this fine man did, but it was great to hear. it just goes to show you that some people in this world are unrelentlessly unselfish and live for others. i get lost in this fin concept because i live an breath horses on a daily basis and know that this game is completely opposite the world that minute lived in and left. god bless his soul and his greiving family today

eastie
06-20-2010, 12:31 PM
a true warrior and a classy caring guy. RIP big man.

Space Monkey
06-20-2010, 07:52 PM
Thanks for posting this Sonny. In an era of spoiled, selfish, jerk athletes, Manute was the polar opposite. RIP Manute :(

skate
06-21-2010, 07:14 PM
yah, from what ive heard, just like you said, as a matter of fact, Barkley is another good guy.l

funny, but if i saw either one o n the court i say "no way", until i saw them play.

Rookies
06-21-2010, 07:30 PM
:ThmbUp:

It is unfortunate that the Manute Bols are almost singularly distinguished from the rest of the riff - raff pro athletes.

PhantomOnTour
06-21-2010, 07:37 PM
I heard on ESPN today that Manute Bol coined the phrase 'my bad'. Whenever he made a mistake instead of saying 'my fault' he would say 'my bad'. We have all foreigners unintentionally turn a common phrase into something funny because they are still learning English. Manute was a great guy and this is one more thing to remember him by.

PS-Bill Plaschke is the one who said Manute coined the 'my bad' phrase.

TheBid9
06-22-2010, 06:41 AM
A BIG MAN WITH A BIG HEART