PDA

View Full Version : Check out the map.....who's moving where?

JustRalph
06-19-2010, 07:57 PM
This is a very cool map workup...... check out the "outflow" from California
Click the link to see the maps

http://blog.american.com/?p=15579

America as Texas vs. California: Who’s Moving Where Edition
By Ryan Streeter
June 18, 2010, 10:53 am
The Enterprise Blog has featured an occasional series comparing Texas and California as a way to draw conclusions about America as a whole. Previous posts are here, here, here, here, here, and here.

Texas’s low-cost, liberty-loving atmosphere has become an attractive alternative to California’s oppressive public sector and dysfunctional policy environment. No amount of heart-melting vistas, celebrity sightings, or traipses through wine country can make up for what almost appears a strategic attempt by one of the nation’s largest states to drive businesses and productive people away.

Thanks to an interesting interactive map at Forbes.com, we now can see some visual evidence of the trends we have been discussing. The map shows county migration in the United States in pictorial form. Black lines show inward migration to a county, and red lines show outward migration. The thicker the line, the higher the volume.

If we look at Harris County, Texas, where Houston is located, we can practically hear a giant sucking sound as the state’s largest city pulls people southward from the northeast, the Midwest, and elsewhere. Most of the outmigration is regional, with some identifiable patterns to the upper northwest. You get a similar picture when you look at the migration patterns to Dallas and Austin.

ArlJim78
06-19-2010, 08:05 PM
I saw that earlier today. A great example of how a clever graphical presentation can convey a great deal of information and make it intuitively understandable in an instant.

bigmack
06-19-2010, 08:17 PM
Whataya gonna do with Michigan? If you live there start a U-Haul or box business. Sales will be brisk baby.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/6_19_10_17_14_32.png

GaryG
06-19-2010, 08:42 PM
All of you Californians and Michiganders(?) - Texas is just perfect for you, just don't think about moving into Appalachia. The culture shock would kill you in a week, really.

michiken
06-19-2010, 10:16 PM
Whataya gonna do with Michigan? If you live there start a U-Haul or box business. Sales will be brisk baby.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/6_19_10_17_14_32.png
Being part of that Wayne County demographic, I am glad I am making my way out. Let's hope it keeps.

ElKabong
06-20-2010, 02:39 AM
All of you Californians and Michiganders(?) - Texas is just perfect for you, just don't think about moving into Appalachia. The culture shock would kill you in a week, really.

gary,
surprisingly enough, most cali's that move here are quite conservative....remember, there's a reason why they're leaving

that is true for the folks that come here from ohio and illinois as well (a lot of those, here)...some are libs, but most are very conservative and are a good fit

the ones that fit the least are from the east coast- that's a generalization of course b/c there are a lot of conservatives living on the eastern seaboard...but much of those i've come across from ny/ nj/ mass are more liberal than the cali's that move here

GaryG
06-20-2010, 09:56 AM
Elkabong,
Actually we do not see transplants from CA or anywhere west. Nor do we see them from the midwest. I know a NY-bred, a very nice lady who runs an Italian restaurant. At least 90% of those who move here are from Flah-rida, mostly retirees with money. Mostly, things stay the same, although maybe we need some diversity....:lol: :lol: