PDA

View Full Version : Will Tiger ever catch Jack?

only11
06-19-2010, 10:36 AM
Boy watching Tiger these last 2 tourneys seems to me hes becoming ordinary...heard a interview with Azinger he says Tigers swing is screwed up badly..
Will Tiger ever catch Jack?

Jay Trotter
06-19-2010, 11:16 AM
Absolutely, he will catch Jack! It might take him a couple years to get his head screwed on right but once he does he will likely be even stronger than ever. He's still a very young man!

Boy watching Tiger these last 2 tourneys seems to me hes becoming ordinary...heard a interview with Azinger he says Tigers swing is screwed up badly..
Will Tiger ever catch Jack?

PhantomOnTour
06-19-2010, 11:19 AM
Once Tiger resolves his personal issues I think he will re-dedicate himself and go on a major tear (pun intended). We have seen many an athlete's performance slip in light of some off field/court/course problems, but most rebound well and Tiger will be no exception imo. He will catch Jack.

DJofSD
06-19-2010, 01:38 PM
If he plays as well today and tomorrow as he has the first two rounds, or even continues to improve, I think he can tie or surpass Jack. However, if the distractions of the divorce and lossing his children along with the physical issues continue to plague him, there's some doubt.

Go Ernie! Go Lefty! I expect extra holes Sunday afternoon.

sandpit
06-19-2010, 01:54 PM
Physical issues could easily be the biggest hindrance, even though Tiger is as fit as many guys 10 years younger than him. I'd say he needs to win them in the next five years if he's gonna do it. He'll be 40 then, and like it or not, the young guns will hit the ball farther, straighter, see it a little better, and have more pep in their games.

rastajenk
06-19-2010, 02:03 PM
I dunno 'bout that. Lots of guys seem to get better after 40. He still has a long way to go, but he will still be carrying a lot of baggage, so it's hard to say.

DJ, extra holes Sunday? You mean 18 more on Monday, I think. ;)

How about that Fourteenth Hole? What a nut-cruncher that has been so far. Almost painful to watch, at times.

LottaKash
06-19-2010, 02:12 PM
I believe that many people don't give a shit anymore, as well as many others who just don't know what to think about him these days...

If he catches Jack, hooray for him...

Me, I don't give a shit anymore....He had his day in the sun...:ThmbDown: ...He turned out to be a skunk, who stunk up and hurt his whole house ... A real nice guy, hah...I believe that honor and trust are the true measures of a man, and he betrayed that honorable image that he purported to possess....

I will find others to root for now....It won't be the same, but, so what I say...

best,

Space Monkey
06-19-2010, 06:54 PM
He's got 15 years to win the 5. That's 60 attempts. On the surface it looks like a shoe in, but golf's as much a mental game as a physical one (David Duval, Ian Baker-Finch). If he doesn't get his head on straight he might not. There's also the injury/drug factor. His knee is not the soundest and the rumors around him and his Canadian steroid doctor are rampant. I always respected him as the best golfer I had ever seen, but I never liked him. I thought he was a pampered, spoiled brat who had a bad attitude towards the fans. Now, of course, I hope he misses every cut.

DRIVEWAY
06-19-2010, 07:04 PM
Nicklaus won his 14th major at 35. Woods at 34 already has 14 majors. Including todays event Woods has 7 chances to maintain his advantage. If Woods fails to win one this year or next, they will then be theoretically tied.

Advantage still Woods but it is starting to slip away.

letswastemoney
06-19-2010, 07:10 PM
People don't like Woods because he cheated on his wife.

But would you seriously bet on him to fail at catching Jack?

He's a smart golfer, he'll figure out his swing and he knows how to win.

JustRalph
06-19-2010, 07:12 PM
Don't forget Jack Nicklaus finished 2nd in a major , I believe 19 times .. :eek:

That is an incredible number by itself

Nicklaus finished either first or second 36 times, in the top three 45 times, the top five 54 times, and the top 10 67 times. All in majors.

Wins:
PGA Tour 73 (2nd all time)
Champions Tour 10
Other 22 (regular)
10 (other)
Best results in Major Championships
(Wins: 18)
Masters Tournament Won: 1963, 1965, 1966, 1972, 1975, 1986
U.S. Open Won: 1962, 1967, 1972, 1980
The Open Championship Won: 1966, 1970, 1978
PGA Championship Won: 1963, 1971, 1973, 1975, 1980

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_golfers_with_most_PGA_Tour_wins

Greyfox
06-19-2010, 07:21 PM
Don't forget Jack Nicklaus finished 2nd in a major , I believe 19 times .. :eek:

That is an incredible number by itself

Nicklaus finished either first or second 36 times, in the top three 45 times, the top five 54 times, and the top 10 67 times. All in majors.

Wins:
PGA Tour 73 (2nd all time)
Champions Tour 10
Other 22 (regular)
10 (other)
Best results in Major Championships
(Wins: 18)
Masters Tournament Won: 1963, 1965, 1966, 1972, 1975, 1986
U.S. Open Won: 1962, 1967, 1972, 1980
The Open Championship Won: 1966, 1970, 1978
PGA Championship Won: 1963, 1971, 1973, 1975, 1980

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_golfers_with_most_PGA_Tour_wins

A remarkable man. A remarkable gentleman, which Tiger will never be.

tribecaagent
06-19-2010, 08:31 PM
C'mon Fox. Humility is the great equalizer and Tiger has been humbled.

Greyfox
06-19-2010, 08:44 PM
C'mon Fox. Humility is the great equalizer and Tiger has been humbled.

Being humble and being humbled are quite different things. Tiger will never be called humble.

DJofSD
06-20-2010, 10:06 AM
I dunno 'bout that. Lots of guys seem to get better after 40. He still has a long way to go, but he will still be carrying a lot of baggage, so it's hard to say.

DJ, extra holes Sunday? You mean 18 more on Monday, I think. ;)

How about that Fourteenth Hole? What a nut-cruncher that has been so far. Almost painful to watch, at times.

You, sir, are correct. Monday would be just fine.

DJofSD
06-20-2010, 10:08 AM
Being humble and being humbled are quite different things. Tiger will never be called humble.
Well stated. I agree.

SchagFactorToWin
06-20-2010, 10:44 AM
He may catch Jack, but he'll never catch Bobby!

ElKabong
06-20-2010, 07:07 PM
i'm beginning to have my doubts about him- last yr he seemed to have trouble getting his head into it (no pun intended) just seems less hungry for wins...has nothing to do w/ the knee, and last yrs lackluster performances were before elin beat the shit out of him...something's missing from the old days

if the younger gen of golfers come on, he won't catch jack

fwiw, i've had an acl built from scratch, tiger's knee is fine from what i can see....the way he squats and puts pressure on that knee (after swing, trying to will shots towards hole) is a great sign...i couldn't do that for 2 yrs after my surgery...so it's not his knee...it's between his ears, whatever the problem is & has been there for at least 15 months

jballscalls
06-20-2010, 11:09 PM
apparently Tiger needs casual sex from multiple partners spread out across the country to clear his head so that when he's on the golf course he's all business!

once the divorce goes through, he'll be fine.

ElKabong
06-21-2010, 01:26 AM
jb, you're not far off, sir

tiger obviously gets a T rush nailing different women (don't we all), the ego inflates, his performance on the course reflects his ego...isn't that why slick nailed every skanky looking chic around? he coulda nailed anything hot he wanted, but the more the merrier as far as the ego goes

if i'm tiger i dump elin NOW...go back to nailing every skank around...if that means leaving funny as hell dirty messages on v/mail machines that go public, so be it

look, he was outed as a jerk long ago....he's got nothing to lose...call a presser, say "i'm tiger woods the baddest golfer on the planet. i can nail any tail on the planet, in fact that's my new goal. nail every chick i come across. and for any of you here that think i'm a jerk, just remember this---- no woman is going to refuse my advance. none...all you women out there with microphones in your hands? you'd jump in bed with me in a ny minute and you know it....now if you'll excuse me, i have 5 more majors to go win" (taking a page from slick here)

DRIVEWAY
06-21-2010, 06:40 AM
Woods is still ahead of the major victory pace set by Nichlaus. The big problem is the pressure of the chase. Woods is not trying to win one major, he's trying to win five. He thinks about and he's asked about it continuously.

Woods has allowed himself to be defined by the number of victories in major championships. This is a big mistake. He has defined the banner "Greatest Golfer of All Time" as 19 Major Championships.

Time marches on and skills erode, this can't be fun anymore.

DJofSD
06-21-2010, 07:51 AM
TW failed to distinguish himself from Els, Michelson and Johnson. There are two more majors this year. Let's see what he does then. Doubt is beginning to creep in.

Robert Goren
06-21-2010, 07:59 AM
He looked to me like he has hit the panic button.

DJofSD
06-21-2010, 08:30 AM
He looked to me like he has hit the panic button.
I would think that's more or less what happened to Derek.

delayjf
06-28-2010, 11:57 PM
Physical issues could easily be the biggest hindrance,

Keep in mind that he's been hitting balls since he's been in diapers, sooner or later his body will give - and it looks like sooner is today.

DJofSD
06-29-2010, 01:21 AM
AT&T National starts Thursday. We get to see which way TW's game progresses.

On a different but related note: thank God the PGA uses current technology. They don't have a problem reviewing video tape to help make rulings. How long before FIFA finds a way?

letswastemoney
06-29-2010, 01:43 AM
The thing about St. Andrews...you could miss your drives all day on that course and still hit the fairway on most of the holes. Tiger just needs to have his iron game sharp and he should win.

Bettowin
06-29-2010, 01:54 AM
The thing about St. Andrews...you could miss your drives all day on that course and still hit the fairway on most of the holes. Tiger just needs to have his iron game sharp and he should win.

Tiger's game is so off compared to when he dominated he won't win a tournament this year. Even though St Andrews allows for errant drives his approach shots and putting aren't going to do it yet. He may be there on the weekend but he is not close to consistent.

Give him some time and he will be back. I do think he breaks Jack's record. Maybe with his 2nd or 3rd wife so it will be awhile:)