PDA

View Full Version : Santa Anita Back To Dirt

Mr. Nobody
06-18-2010, 02:44 PM
A lot of people will cheer this but I suspect it will lead to a decline in field size, particularly in stakes races. Link to story (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2010/06/get-ready-for-an-off-track-horse-racing-showdown-at-hollywood-park.html).

As for Santa Anita's surface, track President George Haines said MI Developments has sent representatives to Argentina and Spain to look at dirt tracks. Santa Anita currently has a synthetic surface.

"It's going to be a dirt track," Haines said.

But because of cost and timing, when the track surface will be replaced is unclear.

andymays
06-18-2010, 02:47 PM
It's good news but will there be any horses to run over it? I still have a feeling that if nobody wants to help Frank pay for it, and they won't let him raise the take to pay for it, he might keep the junk till next year. I won't really believe it till I see it in person.

The meeting on the 22nd will tell a lot.

FenceBored
06-18-2010, 02:49 PM
Yeah, like anybody's going to believe an LA Times blog. :rolleyes:

Now if Roger Stein leads his show with it this Saturday ...

DeanT
06-18-2010, 02:52 PM
In other news .....

(AP-Pasadena) The KTLA helicopter spotted a man dancing in the streets naked shooting off fireworks this morning.

Andy Mays of Pasadena has been charged with mischief and will be arraigned on Monday morning, a Sheriffs department spokesman said.

"He was just out there, dancing. We thought he was high on meth" said Deputy Denise Jones. "We took him into custody and he would not answer questions, he just kept grinning and saying "dirt, dirt, dirt, lovely dirt."

We'll have more on this story in the coming days.

endquote

andymays
06-18-2010, 02:57 PM
In other news .....

(AP-Pasadena) The KTLA helicopter spotted a man dancing in the streets naked shooting off fireworks this morning.

Andy Mays of Pasadena has been charged with mischief and will be arraigned on Monday morning, a Sheriffs department spokesman said.

"He was just out there, dancing. We thought he was high on meth" said Deputy Denise Jones. "We took him into custody and he would not speak, he just kept grinning and saying "dirt, dirt, dirt, lovely dirt."

We'll have more on this story in the coming days.

endquote

To tell you the truth it's a victory for the good guys but at this point California racing is in such trouble it might not matter. I haven't been to Santa Anita since 2007. Spending the weekend there was awesome. I may do it again when they change. At least I'll have one California track I can go to.

I will be able to change my will again and have my ashes scattered on the down hill turf course when I go. When they went synthetic I didn't want to be there for eternity. ;)

gm10
06-18-2010, 04:50 PM
To tell you the truth it's a victory for the good guys but at this point California racing is in such trouble it might not matter. I haven't been to Santa Anita since 2007. Spending the weekend there was awesome. I may do it again when they change. At least I'll have one California track I can go to.

I will be able to change my will again and have my ashes scattered on the down hill turf course when I go. When they went synthetic I didn't want to be there for eternity. ;)

why do you still go to Del Mar then?

andymays
06-18-2010, 04:51 PM
why do you still go to Del Mar then?

Didn't go to one live racing day last season. Sorry.

joanied
06-18-2010, 04:59 PM
Where is Fast Frank gonna get the money for the change...and it might be too little too late. IMO, the only reason they will do this is to get the BC back again...and it might keep most of the CA trainers from moving along with everyone else.
I do hope it happens, but like many, I will wait until the ink is dry!!

gm10
06-18-2010, 05:08 PM
Didn't go to one live racing day last season. Sorry.

That's now what you said on another thread. I'm sure you said that you were from around LA and went to Del Mar but not to SA. Since you've manged to post your 5000+ posts since 2009, I assume you were either there last year or lying in that other thread.

andymays
06-18-2010, 05:11 PM
That's now what you said on another thread. I'm sure you said that you were from around LA and went to Del Mar but not to SA. Since you've manged to post your 5000+ posts since 2009, I assume you were either there last year or lying in that other thread.

gm it's almost always a complete waste of time to have an exchange with you.

Why would anyone make any effort to contribute anything to the discussions that you are involved in? :rolleyes:

cj
06-18-2010, 05:15 PM

Why would anyone make any effort to contribute anything to the discussions that you are involved in? :rolleyes:

I'm waiting for him to be right about something...anything. It is pretty fun.

gm10
06-18-2010, 05:16 PM

Ah Andy, you always do that. The other day you were claiming to have average banking angles for synthetic surfaces. When pressed to present some evidence you got as far as 'I know what I know'. Did you know that you did not know?

Dahoss9698
06-18-2010, 05:18 PM

There is a long line of people waiting for that.

As for Santa Anita probably going back to dirt...good for them.

gm10
06-18-2010, 05:18 PM

You are either a) lying or b) a person with a twisted sense of humour. I feel like you are stalking me on this message board. I can't post anything without you posting some semi-snide remark 5 minutes later. Good call on that Belmont race btw. Next time let us know BEFORE the race will you :cool: .