PDA

View Full Version : Ones Plasma TV, Ones Living Room, and One ADW or Going to the Race Track.

Igeteven
06-18-2010, 09:56 AM
Ones Plasma TV, Ones Living Room, and One A.D.W. or Going to the Race Track.

Last week we went to Hollywood Park. We sat in the Turf Club. We all had a superior view of the race track, however, it was not cheap, example, lunch cost me $120.00 for 2 people. Before I place my first bet, I was down a whopping $150.00. I expected this and I could afford this. The only thing I didn't like was standing in line to place a bet and going up and down the stairs, time after time. Now you ask me, why did I go, I had to attend a meeting.

Here is a little extra , grand stand was $8.00, club house was $12.00, parking was $5.00, the VIP room was ? hell I don't know, the turf club was $20.00

Round trip was 110 miles, so the driving, walking, etc, take a toll on older people.

Believe me, I would have rather sat in my office chair in my office or living room and watch it on my 50 inch H.D. Plasma TV.

I personally don't look at horse racing as entertainment. When it comes to gambling, I take it very seriously because any fool that doesn't is a idiot.

That is one of the main problems in going to the race track. I will be going 2 more times this year, one trip to Del Mar and opening day at Santa Anita on the day after Christmas.

To all the players and posters out there, how many times do you go to the track?

Be honest now.

jballscalls
06-18-2010, 10:49 AM
I personally don't t. When it comes to gambling, I take it very seriously because any fool that doesn't is a idiot.

i find this kind of an idiotic statement. Of people who attend live racing, a majority are just casual fans and don't take it super seriously, or probably as seriously as you do. there are tons of people who take it super seriously, study their asses off, and still lose. someone who is playing casually is not an idiot for not taking the races seriously

In fact the only person i know who is actually ahead of the game career hardly even handicaps, just plays hunches, and after 10 years, he's still up. I know this because the only time he goes to the races is when he goes with me to Emerald.

as far as how many times going to the track for live racing, anywhere from 100 to 150 times a year

Robert Goren
06-18-2010, 10:51 AM
To live racing almost never. I haven't seen a live race in over 15 years. I may go in couple of years if Lincoln finally closes. I might go out to the simulcasts a few times a year to see some old friends.

Igeteven
06-18-2010, 11:09 AM
i find this kind of an idiotic statement. Of people who attend live racing, a majority are just casual fans and don't take it super seriously, or probably as seriously as you do. there are tons of people who take it super seriously, study their asses off, and still lose. someone who is playing casually is not an idiot for not taking the races seriously

In fact the only person i know who is actually ahead of the game career hardly even handicaps, just plays hunches, and after 10 years, he's still up. I know this because the only time he goes to the races is when he goes with me to Emerald.

as far as how many times going to the track for live racing, anywhere from 100 to 150 times a year

As the old saying goes, show me a happy loser, and I show you an idiot.

As to Emerald Downs, I love that track, I also go there once a year, when I go up North, as to you going, You are LUCKY person

Bettowin
06-18-2010, 11:16 AM

As to Emerald Downs, I love that track, I also go there once a year, when I go up North, as to you going, You are LUCKY person

Show me someone who pays $60 per person for a racetrack lunch and I'll show you the idiot.

jballscalls
06-18-2010, 11:18 AM

I think we may be talking about two different people. I'm talking about the casual fan who comes once, twice a month, spends a few bucks on the races, and is in no way an idiot if they don't study their ass off for their one or two days out.

If your talking about the guy who comes out 5 days a week and does no work, just picks numbers, then yes i may agree with your comment above, even though i dont like to use that word

Igeteven
06-18-2010, 11:23 AM
I think we may be talking about two different people. I'm talking about the casual fan who comes once, twice a month, spends a few bucks on the races, and is in no way an idiot if they don't study their ass off for their one or two days out.

If your talking about the guy who comes out 5 days a week and does no work, just picks numbers, then yes i may agree with your comment above, even though i dont like to use that word

you are right on my man :ThmbUp:

badcompany
06-18-2010, 11:26 AM
For the modern day simulcast bettor, going to the track is an unnecessary waste of time and money.

That said, home betting, in its current state leaves much to be desired, at least in my neck of the woods where OTB shows four tracks on one channel, bouncing back and forth among them. That's simply not condusive to serious betting.

Igeteven
06-18-2010, 12:02 PM
Show me someone who pays $60 per person for a racetrack lunch and I'll show you the idiot.

That's is exactly how I felt after paying the bill in the turf club, however, I saw people tipping 100 bills like water there.

The window where the minimum bet of a $100.00 was deep.

I guess the rich need a play ground,

OTM Al
06-18-2010, 01:26 PM
You'd rather do one thing, others would rather do another. It's just that simple. Some people would have done what you did and called it a fun day out. Others would never do what you did. What you do is right for you, but saying by extension it is therefore not right for anyone is foolish.

QuarterCrack
06-18-2010, 02:17 PM
If you were only there for a meeting, then that is a time when you can safely consider a trip to the track as entertainment. If you go to the track as seldom as you say, then those are times to think of it purely as entertainment and not worry about taking it seriously. You're not going to be comfortable and in your element anyway, if you're used to playing at home. So no worries - as you said, you expect to lay out some money for seating/food, etc., so you can just chalk it up as an entertainment expense.

There's plenty of time for serious investment on the other 360 days of the year.

I attend the track usually once per week for simulcasting, and bet from home on weekday evenings. When it comes to watching live racing at the track, it's strictly entertainment between simulcast races I am interested in, unless I have an actual potential bet on the live race, which doesn't happen very often.

Grits
06-18-2010, 02:19 PM
IGE, a blend of both. One can go to the track and play the wealthy role. Too, one can go to the track and play comfortably content in their chosen spot, possibly walking out with what they came in with and more, not having to sign the large Visa check. The one due first of the next month.

Two to three days a year at the track wouldn't do for me. That would bother me. Too, I can be content in the 3rd floor Cafe at Belmont at lunch time, having an ice tea, a good deli sandwich made with fine Boar's Head turkey or ham, some white cheddar, and a little lettuce and tomato. And a bag of chips. Same goes for Keeneland, Monmouth, Saratoga's backyard, etc, etc. Having done the upstairs dining rooms many times, its fine, but not a requirement.

Quiet days at Belmont, I'm much better with my wagering. On days like Belmont Day, the noise and the distraction of such a crowd is endless, even when I've handicapped prior. I find myself changing my choice, or leaving one off my ticket, and it bites me time and again. For me, quiet is a good thing. I like it a lot!!!

There is much to be said for home, where there is total quiet and ability to have everything at one's click--pc, pps, pace figs, big screen, etc. And this may be one of the stronger dangers and reasons leading to fewer racetracks. Something I hope, and believe will come to be, in time.

Still, I would be truly disappointed, devastated even, without the experience of live racing. The horses running, sun above me, a shade tree if its hot, a good breeze, more iced tea, and the easy conversation/handicapping that I share with a friend or two for hours.

Striking the balance between track and home work well. I hope I never have to change the routine.

miesque
06-18-2010, 10:33 PM
Igeteven - It was nice to meet you at Hollywood Park, always enjoy meeting other forum members. :)

I can very much appreciate the mileage issue you brought up regarding a track visit, tomorrow I am heading to Colonial Downs (and yes I will be up in the Turf Club) for an afternoon of racing featuring the Colonial Turf Cup and All Along Stakes and its 100 miles each way and I also have to deal with Beach/Colonial Williamsburg/Busch Gardens traffic heading there and that is my closest track. In general I am at a track for live racing every three weeks, sometimes its for just a day, other times its a few days like last weekend when I was at Hollywood for three days of racing. As far as how many days a year of being at the track for live racing I would say maybe 30 days, with the rest of my wagering taking place in my living room. Those days are split over 10-12 different tracks each year in different regions of the country (which I like, gives a nice overall perspective). I will admit that my wagering from home is more profitable than being at the track, moreso these past two years then others, I think its because I am more targeted and focused at home (where I have no excuses for distractions at home). That said, I really, really enjoy hanging out at the track (get twitchy if 4 weeks or more go by with no track visits), my way, and with rare exception that is what I do.

While there is technically no wrong way to enjoy a day at the races, being at the spot on the track that best suits you helps to ensure that you will have an optimal experience. That spot on the track varies greatly between individuals, some like hanging out on the rail by the finish line, some like commandeering strategic spot on the paddock rail, some like hanging out in the boxes, etc... My personal preference is a table (because I like to spread out my material) with a very good view (preferably at the finish line), a TV on the table, and often a bottle of Champagne, and hopefully some edible food. I realize its not everyone's cup of tea, but it works for me and there are plenty of other options available for those that don't like it. It really can't be that bad because somehow there are people willing to sit at my table and tolerate my antics during my numerous track visits across the country each year. :D

Deepsix
06-18-2010, 10:54 PM
Did Roger, or Lester pick up your tab? Geez I sure hope they showed you some west coast hospitality as you rubbed elbows out here on the Left Coast.

Igeteven
06-18-2010, 11:27 PM
Did Roger, or Lester pick up your tab? Geez I sure hope they showed you some west coast hospitality as you rubbed elbows out here on the Left Coast.

After this post, I will not ever respond to you anymore, stay off of my threads

Anymore posts and I will file a complaint with pace.

Igeteven
06-18-2010, 11:30 PM
Igeteven - It was nice to meet you at Hollywood Park, always enjoy meeting other forum members. :)

I can very much appreciate the mileage issue you brought up regarding a track visit, tomorrow I am heading to Colonial Downs (and yes I will be up in the Turf Club) for an afternoon of racing featuring the Colonial Turf Cup and All Along Stakes and its 100 miles each way and I also have to deal with Beach/Colonial Williamsburg/Busch Gardens traffic heading there and that is my closest track. In general I am at a track for live racing every three weeks, sometimes its for just a day, other times its a few days like last weekend when I was at Hollywood for three days of racing. As far as how many days a year of being at the track for live racing I would say maybe 30 days, with the rest of my wagering taking place in my living room. Those days are split over 10-12 different tracks each year in different regions of the country (which I like, gives a nice overall perspective). I will admit that my wagering from home is more profitable than being at the track, moreso these past two years then others, I think its because I am more targeted and focused at home (where I have no excuses for distractions at home). That said, I really, really enjoy hanging out at the track (get twitchy if 4 weeks or more go by with no track visits), my way, and with rare exception that is what I do.

While there is technically no wrong way to enjoy a day at the races, being at the spot on the track that best suits you helps to ensure that you will have an optimal experience. That spot on the track varies greatly between individuals, some like hanging out on the rail by the finish line, some like commandeering strategic spot on the paddock rail, some like hanging out in the boxes, etc... My personal preference is a table (because I like to spread out my material) with a very good view (preferably at the finish line), a TV on the table, and often a bottle of Champagne, and hopefully some edible food. I realize its not everyone's cup of tea, but it works for me and there are plenty of other options available for those that don't like it. It really can't be that bad because somehow there are people willing to sit at my table and tolerate my antics during my numerous track visits across the country each year. :D

Hi girl

It was very nice to meet you and I was trying to make a point why people are staying away, I did enjoy myself and so did rwwupl.

I still want to meet you at Emerarld Downs , just let me know when you are up there.

I have plenty of pictures, I will e mail them to you tomorrow, so take girl and hit that pick 4

Lester

Deepsix
06-18-2010, 11:34 PM
Hmm.... I know "Pace" has better things to do but respond to your messages. I'm just curious, Lester, because you mentioned that you had to pay for $x2+ $120 for lunch. I'm just wondering if the monies $$$ you mentioned were to help pay for Miesque's tab? ACTUALLY, it's NONE of my Business.... but the thread about paying X2 while at HollyPark.... and then Miesque mentioning her visit and the "style" the she preferes..... well, you know I just wondered if YOU guys chipped in to pay for the out of town guests?

I hope you did. <smile>

CincyHorseplayer
06-19-2010, 05:38 AM
I guess this all depends on how much of a sedentary life you enjoy leading.

Seriously.I love being at the track.I love the summer heat and stroll around the grandstand with my 10X50's looking at horses,pestering trainers on occasion,but in general enjoying the people and horseflesh around me.It's idyllic even at 90 degrees.

But when I need a respite I'm glad to pay $25 to get to the 2nd floor of River Downs Clubhouse and get served food and drinks.It's awesome.

I like to move around though.There is Sunlite Pool next door and when it gets 95 I get over there between races I hate.On a good day I'll bounce between the pool and the track 3 times(before,during,after),hit happy hour at both,hit a concert at Riverbend(if there is one),also next door or go to a Reds game when I drive back through town(if they are in town).Then if I have enough steam left hit downtown bars in Cincy or elsewhere,call a cab home.All totaled=leave the house at 10 am,home at 3 am.Nice day!!!

I can sit around and fart on my computer chair and b**ch about the TVG guys when I'm old and immobile:)

(and I hope none of you are that or I apologize)

But the track experience is great to me.Even some of my favorite track friends never leave the TV"s.I just like being around the people and the game.It stimulates me.It really focuses me on the goal=winning!!

But come winter.And now that I hate Turfway and they equally hate on me when I'm there.I love being able to kick back and bet from home.Especially when it's bitter cold or snowing.It's my favorite thing to do.

Igeteven
06-19-2010, 09:58 AM
IGE, a blend of both. One can go to the track and play the wealthy role. Too, one can go to the track and play comfortably content in their chosen spot, possibly walking out with what they came in with and more, not having to sign the large Visa check. The one due first of the next month.

Two to three days a year at the track wouldn't do for me. That would bother me. Too, I can be content in the 3rd floor Cafe at Belmont at lunch time, having an ice tea, a good deli sandwich made with fine Boar's Head turkey or ham, some white cheddar, and a little lettuce and tomato. And a bag of chips. Same goes for Keeneland, Monmouth, Saratoga's backyard, etc, etc. Having done the upstairs dining rooms many times, its fine, but not a requirement.

Quiet days at Belmont, I'm much better with my wagering. On days like Belmont Day, the noise and the distraction of such a crowd is endless, even when I've handicapped prior. I find myself changing my choice, or leaving one off my ticket, and it bites me time and again. For me, quiet is a good thing. I like it a lot!!!

There is much to be said for home, where there is total quiet and ability to have everything at one's click--pc, pps, pace figs, big screen, etc. And this may be one of the stronger dangers and reasons leading to fewer racetracks. Something I hope, and believe will come to be, in time.

Still, I would be truly disappointed, devastated even, without the experience of live racing. The horses running, sun above me, a shade tree if its hot, a good breeze, more iced tea, and the easy conversation/handicapping that I share with a friend or two for hours.

Striking the balance between track and home work well. I hope I never have to change the routine.

IGE, a blend of both. One can go to the track and play the wealthy role.

I don't play any type of wealthy role, just ask anyone who has met me at the race track.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

WinterTriangle
06-19-2010, 02:30 PM
I guess this all depends on how much of a sedentary life you enjoy leading.

You've certainly identified an American trend, which is IMHO, much to the detriment of our health. I swim every morning at adult swim in outdoor olympic size pool with all the bells and whistles. It costs me $9.00 a week. Yet, I am often practically alone there with 3-4 other people. Mind-boggling isn't it? :eek:

Seriously.I love being at the track.I love the summer heat and stroll around the grandstand with my 10X50's looking at horses,pestering trainers on occasion,but in general enjoying the people and horseflesh around me.It's idyllic even at 90 degrees..

I can concentrate on wagers better at home. It doesn't satisfy my need for "the sport of horseracing" though, which combines both. Live horseflesh, etc. nothing can compare. Meeting up with friends, fans, trainers, owners in person.......can't do that from behind the computer.....and it doesn't make for "memories" either?

I can sit around and fart on my computer chair and b**ch about the TVG guys when I'm old and immobile

Getting there myself, just load up on the arthritis meds and aleve and hit the ground running (limping) whatever. :D

BlueShoe
06-19-2010, 03:31 PM
Live racing only about 4-6 times a year. Usually SA, also Hol and Pom. Have not been to DMR in about 10 years, just have not liked or felt comfortable there since the old grandstand was torn down and replaced by the new blah one. As a member in good standing in the Cheapskates Club, my only expense when attending live racing is my gasoline. Am often sent passes since long ago enrolled in their player card promotion. SA and HOL also have free admission days on some weekdays. Eat before and after the track, perhaps an occasional cup of coffee or soft drink only. Since I am still able to walk far and fast, never pay to park in the track lot, hike in from free parking outside. Two reasons limit my live track attendance. First is the distance and traffic, the trip can be trying. Second is the simulcast situation. Most of my wagers and attention will not be on the host track, but on other tracks. The simo facilities at SA are not very good, HOL a little better, neither are as good as the regular otb sites.