PDA

View Full Version : Championship means Destruction???

newtothegame
06-18-2010, 04:54 AM
Just down right sad.....

Fights, Bonfires Break Out in Downtown L.A.

Published June 18, 2010

| Associated Press

LOS ANGELES -- Crowds of rowdy revelers poured into the streets after Game 7 of the NBA finals Thursday night, rocking cars, setting bonfires and throwing rocks and bottles at officers in scattered sections of the city.

Police Chief Charlie Beck said officers made multiple arrests, but he didn't have an exact number. One officer suffered a broken nose after someone threw an object at him, Beck said.

Police said earlier at least nine arrests had been made, and that number was expected to rise. Most of the arrests were for public intoxication, while others were for vandalism and inciting a riot.

Pockets of violence were reported in the neighborhoods near Staples Center, but no major incidents were reported in the rest of the city, Beck said.

Television news footage showed several people jumping on a taxi as it attempted to leave the area near the arena after the Los Angeles Lakers beat the Boston Celtics 83-79. Someone opened a rear door of the vehicle, while others rocked it back and forth. The taxi eventually made its way through the crowd and out of the area.

Television footage also showed a man being beaten and a car set on fire. And there were scattered reports of windows being broken at several businesses.

Some men ran shirtless in the street, while other people revved car engines and honked their horns in celebration. Broken glass and burnt debris lined the roads.

Jazmine Rodriguez, 24, lives in an apartment building next to Interstate 10, not far from Staples Center. She said her mother's car, her neighbors' cars, and every car on her street had its windows smashed.

"When we came down here, only one window was smashed. The cops told us to go back inside, and they (revelers) smashed the other one," Rodriguez said.

The Los Angeles Fire Department said several people were treated for injuries outside the arena. The number and extent of the injuries was not know.

Shortly after the game, police declared an unlawful assembly, urging people to immediately disperse.

Revelers honked horns and yelled while emergency vehicles and police cars with sirens going moved through the area. Some people set off fireworks.

Hundreds of Los Angeles County sheriff's deputies were deployed to East Los Angeles, where crowds were growing, but no major problems were reported, sheriff's Capt. Mike Parker said.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/06/18/lapd-declare-unlawful-assembly-staples/

newtothegame
06-18-2010, 04:56 AM
Looks like a long night for L.A. residents and police :bang:

Win a championship, which has obviously brought in millions of dollars in revenue to a city struggling badly from a financial perspective. And what do the citizens do......spend it in stupidity tearing up their city!!!

PaceAdvantage
06-18-2010, 04:57 AM
Did this sort of thing happen when the Yankees won the world series? I don't recall any such reports...odd....

Lots of places around the country can't seem to hold their liquor, so to speak, when their teams win the big one.

Just another thing NY is good at I suppose... :lol:

newtothegame
06-18-2010, 04:59 AM
I am just thankful that this sort of thing didnt happen here when the Saints won last years SB.

Steve 'StatMan'
06-18-2010, 09:35 AM
I didn't follow much news, did any of this happen in Chicago with the Blackhawks winning the Stanley Cup?

headhawg
06-18-2010, 09:57 AM
I didn't hear of any reports of that kind of stuff happening in Chicago. Not one. That's not to say that there weren't arrests for public drunkeness and such, but no cars set on fire or people beaten on the streets that I heard or read about. I think that Blackhawks fans were genuinely happy that the Cup drought is over.

GameTheory
06-18-2010, 10:30 AM
I didn't hear of any reports of that kind of stuff happening in Chicago. Not one. That's not to say that there weren't arrests for public drunkeness and such, but no cars set on fire or people beaten on the streets that I heard or read about. I think that Blackhawks fans were genuinely happy that the Cup drought is over.Destruction over hockey? Don't think that ever happens, even in Detroit....

Robert Goren
06-18-2010, 10:39 AM
The good thing about horse racing is no one riots when a horse wins a race.:rolleyes:

Robert Goren
06-18-2010, 10:42 AM
Destruction over hockey? Don't think that ever happens, even in Detroit.... Only in Canada:rolleyes:
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/montreal/story/2008/04/22/mtl-habs.html

GameTheory
06-18-2010, 10:48 AM
Only in Canada:rolleyes:
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/montreal/story/2008/04/22/mtl-habs.htmlWell, that goes without saying. Canadians will riot over anything...

kenwoodall2
06-18-2010, 10:51 AM
Of the many threads here where I hate to admit to being from CA, but this ONE due to embarassment.

BlueShoe
06-18-2010, 11:38 AM
For those not familiar with the area around Staples Center, it is virtually 100% minority, almost completely illegal alien occupied. In viewing the film clips on LA tv last night and this morning, this point was very evident. This really had nothing to do with basketball or the Lakers, it was just an excuse for these criminal invader thugs to act up. For more on this viewpoint, read the comments on the Fox link in the OP. My personal solution to the problem would have been rather harsh. I would have set up a pair of light machine guns, and when the rioters did not disperse, rake the area. Ten or fifteen seconds of fully automatic fire would have been more than enough to convince them that they would have been much better off had they stayed in Mexico.

Steve 'StatMan'
06-18-2010, 01:18 PM
I wish it was only residents of the area trashing the place (if it wasn't already trash.) Would be appropriate to let them live with the results of their trashing for a while and learn some lessons. Unfortunately there will be innocents who suffer, as innocents tend to do.

JustRalph
06-18-2010, 04:47 PM
The good thing about horse racing is no one riots when a horse wins a race.:rolleyes:

have you seen the Zenyatta threads ?? :lol: