PDA

View Full Version : Class Of The Field

Turntime
08-04-2003, 10:36 PM
Does anyone remember James Quinn's 'Class Of The Field' ? Seems like an interesting concept (leave it to Quinn to try to quantify class). With all the the recent emphasis on speed and pace a good class method might have some value. Has anyone ever tried to generate and use the class numbers?

BillW
08-04-2003, 10:38 PM
Turntime,

I use Bris class and race rating numbers that seem pretty good. Never tried to build my own.

Bill

Tom
08-04-2003, 10:41 PM
Very hard to do working only with result charts-you just don't "see" enough to quantify the winner's performances. Lots of work keeping you records, and with all the shippers nowadays, you have your work cut out for you. And, horses just don't seem, to be that consistent anymore-too many bad races amoung good horses.
If you can do it and keep up to date, you will probably have a good set of class ratings, but then you have to contend with 5 horse fields and low odds.
I would rather find a longshot with some obscure factor that says he is live today and go for these.

Richard
08-05-2003, 06:13 PM
I have a copy of that book.Been a few years since i read it,though.I remember there was also a corresponding program called FIRST CLASS(probably DOS based).You would'nt know where a copy of that program could be obtained,would you?

betovernetcapper
08-05-2003, 08:52 PM
Let me start by saying that The Handicappers Condition Book, was a really good book and I think Q is a very good writer. Class of the Field was not one of his better efforts. Prior to that book, he had never shown any interest or talent in speed figures. The book suggested that you watch every race (in person-not on TV) and then assign a number based on final time-class-pace and whatever subjective observations you had about the race. As I recall there was no documentation or of how this method preformened. I don't think anyone, including Q uses this method.

nagwa
01-02-2008, 02:21 PM
hi,
anyone with ideas on how to uprate the class rating, speed figures, class pars in this book.

Capper Al
01-02-2008, 04:00 PM
Does anyone remember James Quinn's 'Class Of The Field' ? Seems like an interesting concept (leave it to Quinn to try to quantify class). With all the the recent emphasis on speed and pace a good class method might have some value. Has anyone ever tried to generate and use the class numbers?

You are right above focusing more on class. It would be a lot of work to implement his system, especially since BRIS does a good job with class. Reading Quinn is like reading a college level textbook. As difficult as he is, I always enjoy his stuff.

sevenall
01-03-2008, 03:58 PM

As I recall from the book, it would take a lot of work and would involve many subjective decisions based on watching endless videos.

Maybe it would be fruitful if you restricted yourself to building class figures for Grad I/II horses?

46zilzal
01-04-2008, 06:10 PM
As I recall from the book, it would take a lot of work and would involve many subjective decisions based on watching endless videos.

Maybe it would be fruitful if you restricted yourself to building class figures for Grad I/II horses?
Good book, good ideas, NOT practical.

Tom
01-05-2008, 10:25 AM
I think you could implement the ideas for one track, or circuit, or maybe, say the three year olds leading up to the derby - rate the prep races and other key races.