PDA

View Full Version : Idiots on parade: Sierra club...protests

JustRalph
06-18-2010, 12:25 AM
http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2010/06/17/protesters-picket-bp-station-but-its-not-owned-by-company.html?sid=101

Protesters picket Clintonville gas station, but it's not owned by BP

Protesters chose a BP gas station in Clintonville to make their case against the oil giant today. But BP doesn't own the station, leaving the company that does caught in the crossfire.

"It's about moving beyond dirty, dangerous sources of energy," said MacKenzie Bailey of the Sierra Club, the environmental group that organized the protest.

The station, at N. High Street and Henderson Road, is one of 127 owned by Englefield Oil Co. of Heath. This afternoon, co-presidents Ben Englefield and Bill Englefield IV said they also are upset about the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, but that their company had nothing to do with it.

The brothers have seen growing calls for a boycott in the two months since a BP-owned oil well began to spew millions of gallons of crude into the ocean.

Englefield Oil operates gas stations under several names, including BP, ampm, and Duke and Duchess. It employs about 1,600. Regardless of the store name, most of the outlets also have a sign for BP gasoline.

The protest took place on a sidewalk in front of the station, with about 20 people holding placards and prompting supportive honks from passing cars.

Two of the station's employees took occasional glances at the commotion, but they mostly went about their business. The man behind the counter said he had no comment.

For protester Tracey Yazvac of Powell, the oil spill is personal. Her husband is originally from Louisiana, and he has family and friends there.

"This is not just about oil," she said. "This is about a whole way of life that could disappear from this earth."

more stupidity at the link

From the link:

"I feel bad for the local business owners, but that doesn't detract from the fact that they work for BP, however indirectly," said Erin Addington of Far West Side. "

What a stupid Bitch.........I can't believe this crap :bang:

boxcar
06-18-2010, 12:32 AM
Just more libs without the first clue. Can't even get the station right! Typical blind sheeple...

Boxcar

PhantomOnTour
06-18-2010, 12:35 AM
Could we call them Sierrorists??

LottaKash
06-18-2010, 12:46 AM
Just to set the record straight about who's "Gasoline" is who's...

I worked for some 22 years for a major oil company, and part of my job was to transfer very large quantities, of gasoline, chemicals and additives....

Gasoline is Gasoline, and "ALL" of the major-oil companies, on a regualr and daily basis, are always selling gasoline to each other, via pipelines, ships, and barges...

The only thing that is "different" about the gasoline are the "additive-packages" that each company injects into the final delivery of the product(s), as they (the additives) are propretary...And that is "all" there is to it, the additives....

So, ultimately, you do not know who's gas you are using in your car...The crude oil may have been "cracked" at any number of refineries throughout the world...

best,

newtothegame
06-18-2010, 12:49 AM
http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2010/06/17/protesters-picket-bp-station-but-its-not-owned-by-company.html?sid=101

Protesters picket Clintonville gas station, but it's not owned by BP

Protesters chose a BP gas station in Clintonville to make their case against the oil giant today. But BP doesn't own the station, leaving the company that does caught in the crossfire.

"It's about moving beyond dirty, dangerous sources of energy," said MacKenzie Bailey of the Sierra Club, the environmental group that organized the protest.

The station, at N. High Street and Henderson Road, is one of 127 owned by Englefield Oil Co. of Heath. This afternoon, co-presidents Ben Englefield and Bill Englefield IV said they also are upset about the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, but that their company had nothing to do with it.

The brothers have seen growing calls for a boycott in the two months since a BP-owned oil well began to spew millions of gallons of crude into the ocean.

Englefield Oil operates gas stations under several names, including BP, ampm, and Duke and Duchess. It employs about 1,600. Regardless of the store name, most of the outlets also have a sign for BP gasoline.

The protest took place on a sidewalk in front of the station, with about 20 people holding placards and prompting supportive honks from passing cars.

Two of the station's employees took occasional glances at the commotion, but they mostly went about their business. The man behind the counter said he had no comment.

For protester Tracey Yazvac of Powell, the oil spill is personal. Her husband is originally from Louisiana, and he has family and friends there.

"This is not just about oil," she said. "This is about a whole way of life that could disappear from this earth."

more stupidity at the link

From the link:

"I feel bad for the local business owners, but that doesn't detract from the fact that they work for BP, however indirectly," said Erin Addington of Far West Side. "

What a stupid Bitch.........I can't believe this crap :bang:

Gee...I mentioned this a week or so ago and what would happen when libs like goren and mosty suggested this "boycott" was a good idea. They are NOT hurting BP. Only local business owners trying to make a living. But then again...that is the agenda of their messiah. To hurt and impoverish so as to gain more and more control. :bang:

Robert Goren
06-18-2010, 01:01 AM
I don't think BP owns any stations. If they owner want to get rid of the protesters, get rid of the signs. They had the signs up because they thought it would bring them business. Well, now they hurt business, so get rid of them. Gas stations change signs more often than a congressman changes mistresses. If they have a BP sign up, at sometime BP got money for it. Corporations do not let you use their logos for nothing.

newtothegame
06-18-2010, 01:05 AM
I don't think BP owns any stations. If they owner want to get rid of the protesters, get rid of the signs. They had the signs up because they thought it would bring them business. Well, now they hurt business, so get rid of them. Gas stations change signs more often than a congressman changes mistresses. If they have a BP sign up, at sometime BP got money for it. Corporations do not let you use their logos for nothing.

Its ALWAYS about what the corporation got with you libs....lol
What did the business get there sluethy??? :lol:

newtothegame
06-18-2010, 01:10 AM
BP boycotts hurt local stations; gas giant offers help

By Derrick Ho, Special to CNNcnnAuthor 2010 2:08 p.m. EDT');}June 14, 2010 2:08 p.m. EDT

Atlanta, Georgia (CNN) -- About a dozen protesters gathered Saturday morning under a BP gas station sign in metro Atlanta, Georgia, picketing and cheering as motorists who drove by honked.

The demonstration was one of dozens happening in cities as part of the "Worldwide BP Protest Day," a Facebook group that claims to have more than 350,000 supporters.

"I don't ever intend to use BP again," said Atlanta resident Monica Manuel who held up a cardboard sign, "Boycott big polluters."

Another protester, Ruth Resnicow, said it was devastating to see the wildlife on the Gulf Coast being affected by the worst oil disaster in U.S. history (http://topics.cnn.com/topics/gulf_coast_oil_spill). "The oiled pelican has been a logo of the disaster. People need to see change."

Gas station and convenience store owners said protesters are targeting the wrong people.

In 2008, the London, England-based oil giant announced it was exiting the retail gasoline business because margins were lousy. Today, the 11,500 gas stations that carry its logo in the United States are owned by independent franchisees such as Russell Scaramella of Georgia Oil Holdings.

He owns 22 BP stations in the Atlanta area that he acquired from the U.K. firm in March 2009, and he said he is worried the bad publicity eventually will hurt his bottom line.

"The hardest part is on the employees because they are seeing the protests. ... They are concerned about their jobs and families," Scaramella said.

Protests such as these are likely to be counterproductive, said Jeff Lenard, a spokesman for the National Association of Convenience Stores. They can hurt the bottom line of locally owned gas stations instead.

"So whether you are protesting by marching, or by not buying gas, you are hurting the small business, but you are really not hurting BP," he said.

Moreover, BP doesn't solely provide gasoline to its franchises.

According to the U.S. Energy Information Administration, purchasing gasoline from a given company does not mean the gasoline was produced by that particular company's refineries.

After oil companies such as BP extract crude oil from the ground, it is sent to the company's refineries to be refined into gasoline. The gasoline is then sent through shared pipelines or shipped in batches to storage terminals.

Anyone who wants to retail gasoline, such as grocery chains, can purchase this gasoline from BP's terminals as "unbranded" gasoline. It only becomes "branded" when BP injects its own additives into the gasoline, which is then sold to retailers such as those owned by Scaramella.

BP protesters said they understand that they might be hurting independently owned gas stations, but they said it's a signal that operators should disassociate themselves from the gas giant or get out of the gas retailing industry altogether.

Michael Monahan, who was protesting at the BP gas station in Atlanta, said: "I feel kind of sorry for them; they're stuck in the middle. But there's not a headquarters for me to stand under today; there's just that sign."

Gas stations cannot simply drop the BP logo though. Most franchise owners have contractual obligations to fulfill. Scaramella has a 20-year agreement with BP to carry its brand name and its gas.

"I understand people are angry and upset, and they have a right to be. But they're taking their anger at the wrong people," Scaramella said.

"If they want to have a protest at the park or somewhere else, super. But to come to my station to do it, and tell people not to buy my products or come inside my stores, to bash my business without even knowing us is hurtful."

BP gas station owners CNN contacted said they haven't seen a dip in business yet. Many have loyal enough customers, they said.

Drivers such as Amy McMurtrie who was refueling her car at a BP station this week said she's still pumping at BP as a matter of convenience.

"I used to live right here, and so this station was something I used all the time. So I'm very familiar with this station, and it's the first thing I thought of," she said.

Scaramella and other station owners along the Gulf Coast aren't sitting still. They have reached out to BP for assistance -- and help is arriving.

Independent owners of BP gas stations in Georgia and states along the Gulf Coast will be receiving signage, paid for by BP, early next week that clarifies that these gas stations are not owned and run by corporate BP.

According to preview images provided to gas station owners and managers, the signs that will be put up at the gasoline dispensers will read: "Part of your community. This BP station is owned and operated by people from this community. Your neighbors, your friends, your family. Thank you for your loyalty."

BP spokeswoman Sherry Boldt said they are also advising owners on how to answer questions from the public. "We think it's important to connect. They are the face of BP on the street," Boldt said.

Mark Murgash, a manager who helps to oversee some of Scaramella's gas stations, said he hopes these signs will provide some respite for him and his employees who have been facing the brunt of anti-BP sentiments.

"When I go to stores and I'm talking to our employees and they're down in the dumps, they feel horrible. They're not proud anymore to wear the BP shirts," Murgash said. "And it's just sick to our stomachs and there's nothing we can do [about the spill]."

Scaramella insists he's a victim of the spill, too. And if business turns for the worse, it might mean he will have to lay off employees.

"It hurts. It's sad for everybody involved," he said. "Everybody loses. Nobody wins in this situation."

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/06/12/bp.protest.atlanta/index.html

Robert Goren
06-18-2010, 01:10 AM
Gee...I mentioned this a week or so ago and what would happen when libs like goren and mosty suggested this "boycott" was a good idea. They are NOT hurting BP. Only local business owners trying to make a living. But then again...that is the agenda of their messiah. To hurt and impoverish so as to gain more and more control. :bang: When did I say that? I know some people who are a BP jobber. They are caught in the middle. They were Amaco jobber and became BP jobber when the two companies merged. They have bitched about the merger from day one. They are in the process of changing their signs on all their stations for the umpteenth time now.

LottaKash
06-18-2010, 01:21 AM
I don't think BP owns any stations. If they owner want to get rid of the protesters, get rid of the signs. They had the signs up because they thought it would bring them business. .

About BP owning the stations outright that is true, they don't...It used to be the only stations that were owned by the oil companies were the ones that may have been located within a 100-mile radius of the refinery or the distribution facility....And they accounted for only about 5% of the total of all gas-stations, for all brands of gas....The other 95% of the stations are owned by local owners, or by a small company that may have a fleet of stations, using that particular brand of gas...

The stations, in order to use the BP (or any other "gas-logo", for that matter), must sign a contract with "the" oil company of choice, must buy and market "only" the particular brand of gas that the logo says, and they must adhere to that oil-companies' policy when marketing their specific products...

So, in essence, when you put a local gas station out of business, you are hurting your fellow neighbor, and contributing community member, and that "is all"....And considering the econonomy these days, a very bad thing to do, imo...:eek:

best.

johnhannibalsmith
06-18-2010, 01:31 AM
I sure hope that all of the protesters walked to the site of the demonstration.

ArlJim78
06-18-2010, 01:34 AM
.http://weaselzippers.us/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/shit-for-brains.jpg

newtothegame
06-18-2010, 01:39 AM
When did I say that? I know some people who are a BP jobber. They are caught in the middle. They were Amaco jobber and became BP jobber when the two companies merged. They have bitched about the merger from day one. They are in the process of changing their signs on all their stations for the umpteenth time now.

Your right sluethy...my apologies. It was NJ that I was going back and forth with on the "spill baby spill" thread. My apologies again for mistaken you for him. Although you two do think alike in some ways....ahh never mind :)

kenwoodall2
06-18-2010, 11:27 AM
I guess these morons think that because of their name "Sierra" as in the MTNS, they cannot protest along HWY 5! They probably think this will get more press because this tiny town has the name "Clinton" in it!!

Tom
06-18-2010, 11:28 AM
Could we call them Sierrorists??

I like that! :lol:

Robert Goren
06-18-2010, 12:58 PM
Your right sluethy...my apologies. It was NJ that I was going back and forth with on the "spill baby spill" thread. My apologies again for mistaken you for him. Although you two do think alike in some ways....ahh never mind :)Sometimes even "great minds" like mine and NJ can run in different directions although most of the time we see things alike. Very clearly and correctly.:rolleyes:

boxcar
06-18-2010, 01:32 PM
Your right sluethy...my apologies. It was NJ that I was going back and forth with on the "spill baby spill" thread. My apologies again for mistaken you for him. Although you two do think alike in some ways....ahh never mind :)

It's no wonder. They drink the same Kool-Aid. And real differences between them are purely coincidental.

Boxcar