PDA

View Full Version : Clockers...are they always right ?

karlskorner
08-04-2003, 09:00 AM
Accepting the times and horse idenity as gospel. I don't think so.

www.equidaily.com

Middle column, (general news) 3rd aricle down "Meet the Clockers"

A quote " We'll work 150 horses in 10 minutes-it's impossible. But we do the best we can"

Storm Cadet
08-04-2003, 11:44 AM
Most of these clockers are not full time paid employees, have not professional training in what they do, as well as NYRA as well as most organizations have NO hard and fast rules for working out horses. Bring them up, tell an official a name, and off you go for the most part. There is No sophisticated system in place to check and make sure whose running and at what distance.

Last week one of my 2 yo colts had a workout at Saratoga...the answer from the clockers was sorry we missed it...they got no time on him!!! We did because we had watches on him and knew what distance we were going to work him. So how good a job do you think that they do on the average day.

The whole system of workouts and their times is bad that I don't put any credence in them anymore.

Show Me the Wire
08-04-2003, 01:01 PM
Works

Overheard. Clocker talking with a trainer, Did you work a horse?. Trainer yeah I worked........ Clocker, we got your horse for 3 furlongs in 38 and change. Trainer, but I only worked him a quarter, if want to credit it with 3 panels go ahead I don't care.

For all that rely on works best of luck.

Regards,
Show Me the Wire

Perception is reality

reckless
08-05-2003, 08:09 AM
happened a few years ago when I was a stable agent for a mid-sized racing operation. The trainer bred a nice 2-year-old that was coming along way above expectations.

The first three real serious works were five furlongs each, a week apart. The baby worked about 1:00 flat every time. But, when we would check the Daily Racing Form a few days later, each work was recorded in the paper at six furlongs in about 1:14 (his galloping out time)!!

The final work was to be four days before his debut. The trainer sent out the horse around six o'clock and the 2-year-old worked his final half mile breeze.

The trainer timed the horse in 47 flat, a very sharp blowout. The trainer called the clockers' stand for the time. The clocker said: '46 and four', and the trainer said, 'OK, that's about what I got'.

The final work that appeared in the Daily Racing Form, along with the three 1:14 works were: 4f :50b.

The trainer's 2-year-old, with nondescript breeding, facing sons of Forty Niner and Allen's Prospect and seemingly pedestrian workouts, opened up on the board at 4-5.

I guess 46 and 4 does equal 50, don't you think?

VetScratch
08-05-2003, 10:05 AM
Inflating works on maidens is how clockers put their kids through college.