PDA

View Full Version : Cell phone

Tom
06-16-2010, 07:47 PM
OK, my Sprint contract finally ended 4 days ago so I am free to look for a good plan this time.

I want the bare-bones, cheap, just phone calls plan with a clam shell phone.

Anyone recommend a provider....with a one year plan?

bigmack
06-16-2010, 07:53 PM
OK, my Sprint contract finally ended 4 days ago so I am free to look for a good plan this time.

Don't ferget you can bring your number with you.

http://www.myrateplan.com/wireless_plans/

fast4522
06-16-2010, 08:25 PM
I had a phone that the contract expired and I did not renew and I lost nothing in minutes or anything else and left it that way till the phone fell out of my shirt pocket into 2 inches of water curbside. I got a pay as you go and only give the number to Verizon cell users all calls unlimited day or night @ $1 per day, way to go for me. All contract plans your locked into paying for messages or tweets if you want them or not, gimmick with no way out in favor of service provider. Pay as you go with Verizon $100 pre pay card loads it for 1 year, no messages other than from Verizon (free) so I buy 100 days for $100 and I rarely leave it on during the weekend.

Boris
06-16-2010, 10:40 PM

Why would anyone want a cell phone that just makes calls? :)

We sell Sprint, AT&T, and T-Mobile plus a number of pre-paid companies. How many minutes a month are you on it?

Tom
06-16-2010, 10:55 PM
I use about 70-80 minutes a month.
I think the Sprint M240 is what I want. With the $29 plan.

boxcar
06-16-2010, 11:07 PM
I use about 70-80 minutes a month.
I think the Sprint M240 is what I want. With the $29 plan.

Mr. Frugality Sez....why not a Tracfone with about 450 minutes for less than $100. per year, which comes to under $9.00 per month. Wanna double your minutes? Those cards run about $50. bucks or so, as I recall. Why spend nearly $360. per year for your modest usage? No value in it that I can see.

Boxcar

Tom
06-16-2010, 11:08 PM
I'll check that out....thanks.

johnhannibalsmith
06-17-2010, 01:00 AM
I'll check that out....thanks.

Being the strange anti-contract type fellow that I am and as someone that swore to never by a cellular phone - I broke down and did the TracFone thing about five years ago. I've had it ever since. Buy a crap ass basic phone with more shit than I need for $30, get double minutes, buy 250 minutes for $40 and it turns into 500. No monthly bill, nobody calling you to remind you of anything - just by a new card when it runs out. Best of all, I think they use whatever cell tower is closest, so my service is always rock solid - which is wonderful when I've got a trailer full of horses in the middle of the desert highway.

Not for everyone, like those people that write speeches on those damn things all day long - but I like it.

plainolebill
06-17-2010, 04:07 AM
We only use our cell phone for traveling, etc. so a monthly plan is overkill for us. I bought a 1 year card from T-Mobile for $100, if we don't use all the minutes (I think it was 400) I can extend the plan for another year by buying a $10.00 card and the minutes carry over.

Pell Mell
06-17-2010, 06:43 AM
Why would anyone want a cell phone that just makes calls? :)

We sell Sprint, AT&T, and T-Mobile plus a number of pre-paid companies. How many minutes a month are you on it?

Why does anyone need a phone that does anything but make calls?:bang:

I found Net 10 to be the cheapest. Ten cents a minute and you can buy cards for as low as 10 bucks in the Dollar stores. Trac Phone charges 25 cents a minute.

Also, check out Total Call as they have the lowest rates for everything. I use their long distance service on my home phone at .035 a minute.

jballscalls
06-17-2010, 09:42 AM
Why does anyone need a phone that does anything but make calls?:bang:

nobody "needs" a phone with all the extra BS, but it is nice. I know if I am out driving and need an address, i can pull over and get online on my phone and get it. Nice to have email, and if i'm stuck somewhere or bored out of my mind, then i can play sudoku or tetris!

love my crackberry!

boxcar
06-17-2010, 11:07 AM
Being the strange anti-contract type fellow that I am and as someone that swore to never by a cellular phone - I broke down and did the TracFone thing about five years ago. I've had it ever since. Buy a crap ass basic phone with more shit than I need for $30, get double minutes, buy 250 minutes for $40 and it turns into 500. No monthly bill, nobody calling you to remind you of anything - just by a new card when it runs out. Best of all, I think they use whatever cell tower is closest, so my service is always rock solid - which is wonderful when I've got a trailer full of horses in the middle of the desert highway.

Not for everyone, like those people that write speeches on those damn things all day long - but I like it.

Exactly right! Not only that, but another thing I really like about Tracfone is that the user can be anonymous! And in this day and age of big brother, I like that.

And you're absolutely right about the service. I tried calling a buddy on his cell phone for a few days but couldn't get through. I found out afterward that he was in northern Cal where his phone wouldn't receive calls from my area. But I have never had a problem contacting other Tracfone users, no matter where they were.

Boxcar

Tom
06-17-2010, 01:57 PM
I like what I see on Tracfone......great phone for $29 and it even has a camera! God rates.......service area looks good.

woodtoo
06-17-2010, 02:29 PM
I use Magic Phone,thru my computer.It's $29.95 a year with free long distance anywhere in north america.

Boris
06-17-2010, 07:54 PM
I like what I see on Tracfone......great phone for $29 and it even has a camera! God rates.......service area looks good.

That's what I'd suggest given the low usage. There are a couple versions that come with the lifetime double minutes feature included at no extra charge ($50 separately). Look for the W376G if you can find it. Phone runs $20 to $30 and a $30 minute pack will give you 120 minutes doubled to 240 with 90 days to use it. See how your usage runs and then buy what works when you need to top up. Look for the orange packaging. Trac uses the ATT network so coverage is typically solid.

dartman51
06-17-2010, 08:44 PM
Wal-Mart sells phone services. I got mine with Straight Talk, which is a division of Trac Phone, but uses Verizon towers, gets the same service as Verizon. They have 2 plans. $30 pr month for 1000 min. talk 1000 min text and 30 mb internet. $45 pr month, UNLIMITED EVERYTHING. I have the unlimited. Service is great.

Tom
06-30-2010, 11:03 PM
I finally found the perfect cell phone.......

johnhannibalsmith
07-01-2010, 12:36 AM
I finally found the perfect cell phone.......

Good... someone that sends a text message more slowly than I do...

JustRalph
07-01-2010, 04:16 AM
I'd buy one!! :lol:

Can you imagine whipping that thing out at a Starbucks :lol:

WinterTriangle
07-01-2010, 05:15 PM

Tom, I did the research a while back. Net10 is cheaper ONLY if you yak a lot. Tracfone is best if you don't.

I only use my cell when in the car or travelling. I got a tracfone with "double minutes for life." Very economical. Load it up for a year, or every 3 months.

Main thing for me was finding a phone that gives the best reception, as I live in the middle of nowhere, bordering national forest lands. There were a number of good forums and I asked at those----found the phone that seems to transmit great. As a matter of fact, I was out driving around looking at farms recently, called a realtor, and he said: "I have never had anyone successfully call me from the place you're at!"

I have no use for a plan, as I just don't use enough minutes to make it worthwhile.

About the camera thing....Mine comes with Bluetooth, but I have never been able to get it to communicate with any devices....they often disable that feature on these types of pre-paid phones. If you take a photo, you usually have to send it to your email, ( I forgot what the protocol is called), but tracfone gets to charge you a 1/2 unit to do that. :bang:

If I put 60 minutes on every 3 months, I get 120 minutes due to double minutes for life. If I put 120 minutes on, I get 240. More than enough for me. The double minutes for life is a good deal, buy the phone ONLINE.

I managed to find a code for a coupon when I bought it, so I ended up practically getting the phone for free.
http://preprepaid.com/currenttracfonebonus.php

Keith has a good prepaid phone page....scroll to the bottom:
http://www.fone-review.com/

also, at left, he reviews the motorola, samsung and LG models, and all the features. I got the LG

PS. first phone I ever had was back when motorola made the Tundra. Used in iraq. here's a video of it being used as a hockey puck :D Loved that phone!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yu0iTLY0Co

Dan Montilion
07-01-2010, 05:35 PM
I like what I see on Tracfone......great phone for $29 and it even has a camera! God rates.......service area looks good. Tom, How can I get "God rates". Man you really have some pull!

Tom
07-01-2010, 06:31 PM
All my phone calls end in Amen, not goodbye. :D