PDA

View Full Version : Marsh Side's 2009 DQ in Canada Overturned.

andymays
06-16-2010, 10:04 AM
Marsh Side's 2009 DQ in Canada Overturned
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/57510/marsh-sides-2009-dq-in-canada-overturned

Excerpt:

Although there was no contact with Champs Elysees, the stewards disqualified Marsh Side based on the rule that reads "When clear, a horse may be taken to any part of the track, but if a horse swerves or is ridden to either side so as to interfere with or intimidate or impede any other horse, such horse may be disqualified."

As part of their appeal, the Marsh Side team presented split screen video formatted from the official video and pictures made from that same formatted video that "clearly show that Marsh Side, throughout the stretch run, never crowded Quijano thereby forcing the horse down towards the two path as there was always space between them and that Marsh Side was never clear in front."

The commission also heard from a number of witnesses, including former jockeys Jerry Bailey and Robert King and former steward Bernie Hettel, on behalf of Marsh Side and Castellano. The two riders and Hettel agreed that they saw no riding infraction by Castellano.

"It is inconclusive that Champs Elysees was interfered with during the stretch run," the commission reported, adding that Castellano presented "uncontested testimony" that there was "enough room for three horses and that jockey Gomez did not have to check his horse

Dahoss9698
06-16-2010, 12:35 PM
If only I could cash my bets on this race now. I'm actually shocked it was overturned because it looked like a clear cut DQ and I say that as somone who standed to make a nice score if he stayed up.

andymays
06-16-2010, 12:37 PM
If only I could cash my bets on this race now. I'm actually shocked it was overturned because it looked like a clear cut DQ and I say that as somone who standed to make a nice score if he stayed up.

Wasn't he a huge price that day?

Dahoss9698
06-16-2010, 12:42 PM
Wasn't he a huge price that day?

Not huge. Somewhere in the 6-9 to 1 range. But I made one of the biggest bets I made all year on him. That was a long night.