PDA

View Full Version : The "Alien" in the White House!

andymays
06-15-2010, 10:33 AM
No, not that kind of Alien. Read the article. ;)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Dorothy Rabinowitz from the Wall Street Journal

The distance between the president and the people is beginning to be revealed.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703302604575294231631318728.html

Excerpt:

The deepening notes of disenchantment with Barack Obama now issuing from commentators across the political spectrum were predictable. So, too, were the charges from some of the president's earliest enthusiasts about his failure to reflect a powerful sense of urgency about the oil spill.

There should have been nothing puzzling about his response to anyone who has paid even modest critical attention to Mr. Obama's pronouncements. For it was clear from the first that this president—single-minded, ever-visible, confident in his program for a reformed America saved from darkness by his arrival—was wanting in certain qualities citizens have until now taken for granted in their presidents. Namely, a tone and presence that said: This is the Americans' leader, a man of them, for them, the nation's voice and champion. Mr. Obama wasn't lacking in concern about the oil spill. What he lacked was that voice—and for good reason.

boxcar
06-15-2010, 11:01 AM
No, not that kind of Alien. Read the article. ;)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Dorothy Rabinowitz from the Wall Street Journal

The distance between the president and the people is beginning to be revealed.

Excerpt:

The deepening notes of disenchantment with Barack Obama now issuing from commentators across the political spectrum were predictable. So, too, were the charges from some of the president's earliest enthusiasts about his failure to reflect a powerful sense of urgency about the oil spill.

There should have been nothing puzzling about his response to anyone who has paid even modest critical attention to Mr. Obama's pronouncements. For it was clear from the first that this president—single-minded, ever-visible, confident in his program for a reformed America saved from darkness by his arrival—was wanting in certain qualities citizens have until now taken for granted in their presidents. Namely, a tone and presence that said: This is the Americans' leader, a man of them, for them, the nation's voice and champion. Mr. Obama wasn't lacking in concern about the oil spill. What he lacked was that voice—and for good reason.

An excellent piece by the WSJ! Yes, he might as well be an alien because his attitudes, policies and agendas suggest that he might as well be living on another planet because he so far removed from the realities of this one.

Boxcar

Black Ruby
06-15-2010, 11:22 AM
An excellent piece by the WSJ! Yes, he might as well be an alien because his attitudes, policies and agendas suggest that he might as well be living on another planet because he so far removed from the realities of this one.

Boxcar

I'm totally shocked that you think something from one of Rupert Murdoch's holdings (he is really an alien, you know) is excellent! :D

GaryG
06-15-2010, 11:25 AM
I'm totally shocked that you think something from one of Rupert Murdoch's holdings (he is really an alien, you know) is excellent! :DAnother useless post....l.if you want to announce that you are here just vote "present".

andymays
06-15-2010, 11:26 AM
Obama is too friendly with tyrants

By Saad Eddin Ibrahim

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/06/14/AR2010061404435.html?nav=rss_opinion/columns

Excerpt:

When a billboard appeared outside a small Minnesota town early this year showing a picture of George W. Bush and the words "Miss me yet?" the irony was not lost on many in the Arab world. Most Americans may not miss Bush, but a growing number of people in the Middle East do . Bush's wars in Iraq and Afghanistan remain unpopular in the region, but his ardent support for democracy was heartening to Arabs living under stalled autocracies. Reform activists in Lebanon, Egypt, Kuwait and elsewhere felt empowered to press for greater freedoms during the Bush years. Unfortunately, Bush's strong support for democracy contrasts sharply with President Obama's retreat on this critical issue.

highnote
06-15-2010, 11:31 AM
It's just an opinion piece. I don't see anything deeply insightful. The writer tries to make a point that this administration can't define who our enemies are.

She takes issue with the way some in the Obama admin define terrorists: "violent extremists are victims of political, economic and social forces."

It's absolutely true. The Royal families of Dubai and Saudi Arabia are not attacking the U.S. The people attacking the U.S. are people who are repressed. True, they are Muslim. But not all Muslims are repressed and not all Muslims are our enemies. She can not understand that subtle distinction (well, not so subtle in my opinion).

From day one, Obama has tried to work toward finding the common ground on which people can agree. He has been criticized by people in his own party for giving in too much to the demands of the Republicans. He has been critized by the left for being too much of a centrist. It is not surprising that Ms. Rabinowitz would be critical of him. She sounds like she is right leaning.

I disagree with her when she says the academic establishment thinks that the United States is the chief engine of injustice and oppression in the world. That's just plain crap. She paints with broad brush strokes and fails to understand subtlety and nuance.

She wants the reader to believe her view is the correct view, but does not make convincing arguments. She wants us to take her assertions at face value but does not present facts to convince me of her wisdom. She does not come across as a great thinker.

I like her passion. She holds strong views. But I think her strong views have clouded her vision. She is not able to see past her emotions.

boxcar
06-15-2010, 12:20 PM
I'm totally shocked that you think something from one of Rupert Murdoch's holdings (he is really an alien, you know) is excellent! :D

Why? Murdoch at least has both his feet touching this planet. BO never has!

Boxcar

JustRalph
06-15-2010, 02:47 PM
Her editor should be fired. He should have cut that piece down to a sentence or so.

"Barack Obama is not qualified, and is no leader"

That would have left us more room for ad space on that page