PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Breeders' Cup Classic

horses4courses
06-14-2010, 10:31 PM
Alright.
We have pretty much all had enough of the "Zenyatta versus The World" threads. Time for a little objectivity?

Let's assume that for this year's BC Classic at Churchill Downs, we get a full cast of the leading players. All arrive to post as near to perfect physical condition as can be expected.

We have a field of 12 starters:
Blame, Blind Luck, I Want Revenge, Quality Road, Rachel Alexandra, Rail Trip, Super Saver, Zenyatta, 2 Euro contenders, 2 other three year olds.

At 10 furlongs, I give it to Zenyatta. The only caveat would be a sloppy track, and Borel working his CD magic. If the race were run at 9 furlongs, or less, she would be compromised by the speed and pace of QR and RA.
Blame, also, has to be looked upon as a big danger.

I eliminate Rail Trip because I think he loves Hollywood Park.
Away from there, I don't think he's the same horse.
I, also, have a hard time taking the Euros on dirt. Time will tell, though.

It's alot to ask of I Want Revenge to get back to his best again. Who knows?

The jury is still out on the three year olds - Blind Luck is a gamer, for sure.

This is just a hypothetical exercise in prediction.

What are your thoughts out there?

Tom
06-14-2010, 11:18 PM
Probably none of the ones you mentioned will make it that far.

46zilzal
06-14-2010, 11:20 PM
FAR FAR too early to even guess all the variables you mention in this scenario. I would wait until about October 20th before you could even have an inkling who is running.

PaceAdvantage
06-14-2010, 11:22 PM
FAR FAR too early to even guess all the variables you mention in this scenario. I would wait until about October 20th before you could even have an inkling who is running.He said LET'S ASSUME. If you're not going to play the game, why clutter up the thread?

PaceAdvantage
06-14-2010, 11:22 PM

What are your thoughts out there?I thought we were to assume all are in peak condition?

thaskalos
06-14-2010, 11:23 PM
He said LET'S ASSUME. If you're not going to play the game, why clutter up the thread? LOL...this used to be a friendly place...

PaceAdvantage
06-14-2010, 11:24 PM
LOL...this used to be a friendly place...46zilzal has been banned countless times in the past.

The fact that he's back on proves this is still a friendly place.

I reserve the right to be not-so-friendly at times with members who have been banned previously.

And now that you know, maybe the lesson learned will be not to assume much until you hear the rest of the story.

thaskalos
06-14-2010, 11:39 PM
46zilzal has been banned countless times in the past.

The fact that he's back on proves this is still a friendly place.

I reserve the right to be not-so-friendly at times with members who have been banned previously.

And now that you know, maybe the lesson learned will be not to assume much until you hear the rest of the story. I assumed nothing...just playing around...

If I wanted to pick a fight with you I would chose a more serious topic.

horses4courses
06-14-2010, 11:41 PM
I thought we were to assume all are in peak condition?

Correct. I did say that.

Take IWR as having had at least 3 preps and getting back to his best. I don't rate his chances of making it there, but that's my read on it only.

Do you know something we don't about the horse's current condition?
Is he working holes through the wind in the pre-dawn?
Hmmmm.....

PaceAdvantage
06-14-2010, 11:47 PM
Since they talk about him possibly returning in the Suburban Handicap July 4, he must be coming along very well.

horses4courses
06-15-2010, 12:10 AM
FAR FAR too early to even guess all the variables you mention in this scenario. I would wait until about October 20th before you could even have an inkling who is running.

It's early, for sure.
My initial roll call is in early Sept., when the Woodward runs at Saratoga.
After that, if I don't have a good handle on things by the JCGC at Belmont in early October, then I'm in the fog as far as the BC Classic goes.

Occasionally, I can catch a nice future a month or two before the race.
Last year, I caught Rip Van Winkle at 30-1 in Sept...... :lol:
Gave me the option of hedging around it some, but I didn't rate Zenyatta's
campaign as up to scratch, so I lost a bit. Gio Ponti would've helped me.

For me, though, it's never too early to ponder the possibilities at the BC.

andtheyreoff
06-15-2010, 07:18 AM
Alright.
We have pretty much all had enough of the "Zenyatta versus The World" threads. Time for a little objectivity?

Let's assume that for this year's BC Classic at Churchill Downs, we get a full cast of the leading players. All arrive to post as near to perfect physical condition as can be expected.

We have a field of 12 starters:
Blame, Blind Luck, I Want Revenge, Quality Road, Rachel Alexandra, Rail Trip, Super Saver, Zenyatta, 2 Euro contenders, 2 other three year olds.

At 10 furlongs, I give it to Zenyatta. The only caveat would be a sloppy track, and Borel working his CD magic. If the race were run at 9 furlongs, or less, she would be compromised by the speed and pace of QR and RA.
Blame, also, has to be looked upon as a big danger.

I eliminate Rail Trip because I think he loves Hollywood Park.
Away from there, I don't think he's the same horse.
I, also, have a hard time taking the Euros on dirt. Time will tell, though.

What are your thoughts out there?

Blind Luck in the starting gate for the Classic? That's funny.

If the Classic was being run tomorrow, I would go with Quality Road on top, with Zenyatta second and Rachel Alexandra third. It depends on who the foreign invaders are to make a judgement on them.

GaryG
06-15-2010, 11:19 AM
It depends on who the foreign invaders are to make a judgement on them.Arcangues' freak out is the only Classic win on dirt by a euro invader, although Giant's Causeway and Swain both ran winning races.

OntheRail
06-15-2010, 12:56 PM
Ya know the Bird (MTB) might make it to the gate... and what about with First Dude and Ice Box. I highly doubt we see any Eruo Turfer's in the Dirt Classic this year. So the Turf Classic will be packed with them.

Wiley
06-15-2010, 01:04 PM
Arcangues' freak out is the only Classic win on dirt by a euro invader, although Giant's Causeway and Swain both ran winning races.
Sakee also just got nipped by Tiznow.

nearco
06-15-2010, 02:20 PM
I highly doubt we see any Eruo Turfer's in the Dirt Classic this year.

Too early to tell yet, buuut..... keep an eye on a horse called Lope de Vega. If he takes to the Churchill dirt like his granddad, watch out.