PDA

View Full Version : To me, this is scary bad

InsideThePylons-MW
06-14-2010, 04:52 PM
http://www.standardbredcanada.ca/poll/1-6-10/if-there-was-2-million-carryover-your-local-racetrack-tonight-how-much-money-would-you-i

63% voted between nothing-$99 they would bet if there was a $2 million c/o at their LOCAL track. 14% said nothing.

I think I voted for $1000 or more 20 times and couple that with the fact that people sometimes embellish how much they bet......I think the results are incredibly much worse than they appear.

If harness racing can't get fans/owners/trainers to bet over $100 at their LOCAL track when the c/o is $2 million, why the fvck are they always talking about marketing to get new fans/owners? It's pretty obvious to me that the poll above indicates this will not "save" the sport as most industry leaders seem to suggest.

It would seem to me that this would be concrete proof that they need to start marketing the gambling aspect of the sport to people that want to gamble and focus on pricing their gambling product to be competitive with other gambling products.

What does anybody else think?

InsideThePylons-MW
06-14-2010, 04:57 PM
If there was a $2 million carryover at your local racetrack tonight how much money would you invest to try and win it?
$1,000 or more
8% (150 votes)
$500 - $999
4% (76 votes)
$250 - $499
9% (186 votes)
$100 - $249
17% (337 votes)
$1 - $99
49% (971 votes)
Nothing
14% (274 votes)
Total votes: 1994

DeanT
06-14-2010, 05:30 PM
I read that and thought the same thing. Amazing how little the business bets, but how much they are involved in decision making..... on betting!

Pacingguy
06-14-2010, 07:28 PM
I would like to know if it is the exotic bets that horsemen don't play or if they don't play at all?

InsideThePylons-MW
06-14-2010, 09:34 PM
I would like to know if it is the exotic bets that horsemen don't play or if they don't play at all?

Both.....Most don't bet.....and when they do, they keep it simple usually betting on A/ONE horse instead of betting on horses or races.

Zman179
06-15-2010, 08:08 AM
I voted 'nothing' simply because I do not have the bankroll to even give myself a fighting chance to play a heavy carryover-type wager such as a Pick 6.

LottaKash
06-15-2010, 09:25 AM
The Meadowlands/Yonkers have the "Metro-6" with a guarantee of $30K on Sat's

How about a "Pick-4" at Mohawk on Tues with a guarantee of $50K.....A much easier/better... risk/reward, don't you think ?...

Even a "horseman" has a shot at this one...:D

best,

Robert Goren
06-15-2010, 10:17 AM
The average better considers the p6 a lottery bet. Many do not bet it even with large carry overs. Even the ones that do put very little in it. Remember The average better is living on the edge. He is not going sink a large part of his bank roll into something he thinks he very little chance of winning.

Stillriledup
06-15-2010, 01:15 PM
I would bet as much as i needed to bet to have a great chance to hit the thing. The only way i would NOT play it is if all the fields were large and they all looked impossible. If i felt a 10k investment could easily go down the tubes, i might pass altogether. I feel its important that the 6 races in the carryover that there's at least one or two races where you can realistically go 1 or 2 deep and hit. Its gotta look like there's a shot to hit it for me before i go forward and invest.

i've passed plenty large C/o's in california because i thought they were just too hard.

InsideThePylons-MW
10-26-2010, 09:14 PM
I am now convinced people involved in the harness industry, as a whole, are so dumb it has to hurt.

http://xwebapp.ustrotting.com/absolutepm/xlaapmview.asp?p=79&view=1

Almost 2/3 of the people responding would bet the quad-super with a $1 minimum if they guaranteed a payoff of $10 million.

Just fvcking amazing!

2/3 would bet nothing - $100 in the P-6 at their local track if the c/o was $2 million but 2/3 would be gung-ho for the $1 quad-super.

I guess 2/3 is the stupidity barometer in the industry.

Pacingguy
10-28-2010, 06:00 PM
I am now convinced people involved in the harness industry, as a whole, are so dumb it has to hurt.

http://xwebapp.ustrotting.com/absolutepm/xlaapmview.asp?p=79&view=1

Almost 2/3 of the people responding would bet the quad-super with a $1 minimum if they guaranteed a payoff of $10 million.

Just fvcking amazing!

2/3 would bet nothing - $100 in the P-6 at their local track if the c/o was $2 million but 2/3 would be gung-ho for the $1 quad-super.

I guess 2/3 is the stupidity barometer in the industry.

Well, they didn't say how much they would be on the Quad Superfecta. They may buy one ticket as if it was a lottery ticket and be done with it. Personally, I don't go past the Pick-3s but for a possible $10 million payoff, I would buy one ticket hoping for divine intervention or miracle.

InsideThePylons-MW
10-28-2010, 06:51 PM
Well, they didn't say how much they would be on the Quad Superfecta. They may buy one ticket as if it was a lottery ticket and be done with it. Personally, I don't go past the Pick-3s but for a possible $10 million payoff, I would buy one ticket hoping for divine intervention or miracle.

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showpost.php?p=983822&postcount=23

For anybody playing a quick pick, which is what racing is hoping for in huge quantity, the actual odds of hitting the bet with four 10 horse fields is over 645 TRILLION to one.

If someone played $1,000,000 in quick picks EVERY day, they would expect to hit the bet once appx. every 2 million YEARS!

The odds of winning the Powerball Lottery Jackpot are 1 in 146,107,962

Just to put it in perspective.....If you play $1 in the powerball and $1 in the Quad-Quad, you will hit the powerball jackpot 4,400,000 times for every 1 time you hit the quad-quad jackpot.

I think you are better off for divine intervention or a miracle in the powerball.