PDA

View Full Version : The race of the year

gm10
06-14-2010, 03:57 PM
Unless Quality Road, Rachel Alexandra, Zenyatta and some European stars all show up in the Classic, this will surely be the most anticipated race in the global racing calendar.

The Queen Anne Stakes. What a contest. Three superstars from three different countries in the opening race for Royal Ascot. It doesn't get much better than this.

Enjoy.

---------------------------------

THE opening event of Royal Ascot 2010, the Queen Anne Stakes, looks as good as any running of the race staged in its 170-year history.

Goldikova, Rip Van Winkle and last year's winner Paco Boy are already multiple winners at this Group 1 level, while Zacinto, though so far unsuccessful, has given the strongest indications that he is more than capable if the cards fall right.

http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse-racing/rip-van-winkle-paco-boy-goldikova-ascot-royal-ascot-group-1-winners-clash-in-ultimate-curtain-raiser/729340/top/

Edward DeVere
06-14-2010, 04:22 PM
I don't know how Goldikova does it.

Crosses mountain ranges, crosses oceans - OCEANS! -, faces and beats Group 1 males on a REGULAR basis (and on the traditional, dominant European racing surface - not some ersatz thing that only 10% of European horses race on.)

What a horse!

And, oh by the way, King Kong size kudos to the owner and trainer, who continually SEEK OUT the very best competition.

tzipi
06-14-2010, 04:27 PM

Crosses mountain ranges, crosses oceans - OCEANS! -, faces and beats Group 1 males on a REGULAR basis (and on the traditional, dominant European racing surface - not some ersatz thing that only 10% of European horses race on.)

What a horse!

And, oh by the way, King Kong size kudos to the owner and trainer, who continually SEEK OUT the very best competition.

Can't argue there. She's a superhorse who also just set a record in her season debut. Cheers to Freddy Head and Wertheimer for what they've done with her.

WinterTriangle
06-15-2010, 03:24 AM

Breeding and training practices, as well as drugging laws, very different than in the US.

That's part of "the how". ;)

I believe Rip Van Winkle is in this one, too? Tuesday’s action begins at 9:30 am ET.

gm10
06-15-2010, 04:45 AM

What a horse!

Yep, she's something special alright. The real queen of racing perhaps.

gm10
06-15-2010, 09:34 AM
What a mare. What a hair-raising victory.
Goldikova beats the boys, again.

OTM Al
06-15-2010, 09:38 AM
Tremendous race. Thought she might have moved a little early but she would not be denied. Great race by Paco Boy as well, but not quite enough.

gm10
06-15-2010, 09:47 AM
Tremendous race. Thought she might have moved a little early but she would not be denied. Great race by Paco Boy as well, but not quite enough.

yes, quite impressed with Paco
but Goldikova had no intention of letting him go by - he came to her, and she dug in
she's compiled an unbelievable record by now -

cj
06-15-2010, 10:27 AM
Very impressive. For the record, I don't think RVW's poor showing diminishes Zenyatta's performance in the BC. Goldikova is certainly a special horse.

OTM Al
06-15-2010, 10:31 AM
Very impressive. For the record, I don't think RVW's poor showing diminishes Zenyatta's performance in the BC. Goldikova is certainly a special horse.

I wasn't going to touch Rip today as I really think he needed one, especially before going against a field like this. I know it's much more frequent to go into big races off long layoffs in Europe, but I think this one was a little too big for him. He will be better next out.

cj
06-15-2010, 10:38 AM
Goldikova has to be considered an all time great by now. We probably won't see another like her for some time.

OTM Al
06-15-2010, 10:46 AM
Goldikova has to be considered an all time great by now. We probably won't see another like her for some time.

Like I said in another thread, she has the best chance to be the first to get 3 BC wins because we don't have anything here right now that can compete with her. And her jockey actually seems to know what he's doing....

OntheRail
06-15-2010, 01:19 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ekk_z6QPfCc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ekk_z6QPfCc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Sundown
06-15-2010, 01:51 PM
Thanks for posting the video. She looked really good after the race in the video.

nearco
06-15-2010, 01:57 PM
Here is a replay of the BBC coverage of the race, different camera angles. It has several minutes of post race coverage, including a fiesty mare almost nailing her groom!
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fDquLWxKc0Q&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fDquLWxKc0Q&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

OTM Al
06-15-2010, 02:43 PM
One of the comentators noted that he was worried inititally about her chances as she didn't act up and he felt her best races came when she had been more worked up, especially in the load. Guess she just saved it for later.

gm10
06-15-2010, 03:11 PM
A recording of the race. The jockey moved a bit too early imo, she always loses interest and/or tires after hitting the front, which is not ideal on an straight uphill finish like Ascot. But when Paco ranged up beside her, boy did she dig in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDquLWxKc0Q

Dahoss9698
06-15-2010, 03:19 PM
It's shame that a mare that takes on all comers and connections that aren't afraid to test their mare gets little recognition on the board.

She is proof that horses can travel and still produce top efforts and losing races against the best doesn't diminish your legacy....it enhances it.

OTM Al
06-15-2010, 04:02 PM
It's shame that a mare that takes on all comers and connections that aren't afraid to test their mare gets little recognition on the board.

She is proof that horses can travel and still produce top efforts and losing races against the best doesn't diminish your legacy....it enhances it.

It's like I've said many times before. The best horses all lose. Secretariat, Man O'War, Citation and any other that raced more than a handful of times (yes Personal Ensign was wonderful and her last race was stirring, but 12 is a little on the low side for starts for an all time great) all lost. There's no shame in losing, the only shame is not testing one's limits.

This one is fast become a favorite of mine on the level of my all time favorite mare, Ouija Board. She not only ran here and in Europe but in Asia as well. Would be the main draw for me to head to KY in November.

carlonr
06-15-2010, 04:03 PM

Looks like some horses can run good on synthetics and other surfaces as well.

carlonr
06-15-2010, 04:05 PM

She's also proof that some horses can run great on synthetics AND even better on other surfaces!

gm10
06-15-2010, 04:31 PM
It's like I've said many times before. The best horses all lose. Secretariat, Man O'War, Citation and any other that raced more than a handful of times (yes Personal Ensign was wonderful and her last race was stirring, but 12 is a little on the low side for starts for an all time great) all lost. There's no shame in losing, the only shame is not testing one's limits.

This one is fast become a favorite of mine on the level of my all time favorite mare, Ouija Board. She not only ran here and in Europe but in Asia as well. Would be the main draw for me to head to KY in November.

Plus Personal Ensign did most of her winning in NY. How often did she leave the state. Twice? Goldikova's record is simply astonishing.

Dahoss9698
06-15-2010, 05:06 PM
She's also proof that some horses can run great on synthetics AND even better on other surfaces!

I don't have her PP's in front of me because I'm at work, but how many starts has Goldikova made on synthetics?

Dahoss9698
06-15-2010, 05:09 PM
Plus Personal Ensign did most of her winning in NY. How often did she leave the state. Twice? Goldikova's record is simply astonishing.

Personal Ensign did have about 20 screws holding her leg together. The fact that she was running at all was pretty impressive. To run at the level she did was amazing.

But hey, perspective isn't your strong suit.

OTM Al
06-15-2010, 05:18 PM
Personal Ensign did have about 20 screws holding her leg together. The fact that she was running at all was pretty impressive. To run at the level she did was amazing.

But hey, perspective isn't your strong suit.

There is no doubt that she was amazing, but as in all sports, injury can prevent a player from ascending to the very top. How great would Don Mattingly been if his back hadn't gone out on him for example? Instead, just as with Personal Ensign, we got a glimpse of what the fully capable player was like but could not see the fullness of what could have been. No knock on Donny or on the filly, just the way it happens sometimes.

Also, unless we don't count French turf as real grass, I'd say Goldi never has raced on the fake stuff. Her PPs have her erroneously racing on the poly at SA in her first BC win. Looks like a db error confusing the mile races.

Dahoss9698
06-15-2010, 05:27 PM
Also, unless we don't count French turf as real grass, I'd say Goldi never has raced on the fake stuff. Her PPs have her erroneously racing on the poly at SA in her first BC win. Looks like a db error confusing the mile races.

I didn't think she had made any starts on synthetics.

nearco
06-15-2010, 05:32 PM
Goldikova has never run on synth.

http://www.racingpost.com/horses/horse_home.sd?horse_id=688825

OntheRail
06-15-2010, 05:50 PM
I do not believe OTM Al was referring to Goldikova in his post. I will not mention who I believe he was referring to. But I know it was not Goldi ;)

OntheRail
06-16-2010, 12:56 AM
nearco thanks for posting the BBC footage... what a great mare. :ThmbUp:

PurplePower
06-16-2010, 01:36 AM
But, how many times has she won on DIRT? I thought that was the only way a runner (of either sex) could be considered one of the all time greats? (For the record, she didn't have to "earn" a spot on my ATG list as she was on my list before last year's BC mile. She is something!)

cj
06-16-2010, 08:31 AM
But, how many times has she won on DIRT? I thought that was the only way a runner (of either sex) could be considered one of the all time greats? (For the record, she didn't have to "earn" a spot on my ATG list as she was on my list before last year's BC mile. She is something!)

Where she races primarily, dirt is not the primary surface and horses aren't bred to run on dirt.

I wonder how Europeans would take to all the big turf courses suddenly going to polytrack and having all the Group 1s run on rubber?

cj
06-16-2010, 08:32 AM
Looks like some horses can run good on synthetics and other surfaces as well.

Ever notice how some guys just slither out of threads when they make stupid statements that are proven wrong? At least he made the same mistake twice, so we know he truly believed it.

Gorgeous George
06-16-2010, 08:52 AM
I wonder how Europeans would take to all the big turf courses suddenly going to polytrack and having all the Group 1s run on rubber?

We have both turf and poly, but show no bitterness to any animal that favours one or the other ;)

cj
06-16-2010, 09:26 AM
We have both turf and poly, but show no bitterness to any animal that favours one or the other ;)

I know that already. How many top class races are run on polytrack? How about zero. I am talking about if Ascot and Longchamps and The Curragh just one day decided to go from turf to polytrack. How would that go over?

Nobody cared here that places like Turfway and Woodbine and Golden Gate run on rubber. But to suddenly have many of our top races that are run at Keeneland, Santa Anita, Delmar, and Hollywood run on the stuff turned a lot of people off, and rightfully so in my opinion. If a graded turf race is switched to dirt here, it's grading is reevaluated. But we switched from dirt to a new, third, and definitely different surface and the gradings were kept. That is just wrong.

PhantomOnTour
06-16-2010, 10:05 AM
I know that already. How many top class races are run on polytrack? How about zero. I am talking about if Ascot and Longchamps and The Curragh just one day decided to go from turf to polytrack. How would that go over?

Nobody cared here that places like Turfway and Woodbine and Golden Gate run on rubber. But to suddenly have many of our top races that are run at Keeneland, Santa Anita, Delmar, and Hollywood run on the stuff turned a lot of people off, and rightfully so in my opinion. If a graded turf race is switched to dirt here, it's grading is reevaluated. But we switched from dirt to a new, third, and definitely different surface and the gradings were kept. That is just wrong.
Good point CJ

senortout
06-16-2010, 11:15 AM
Here is a replay of the BBC coverage of the race, different camera angles. It has several minutes of post race coverage, including a fiesty mare almost nailing her groom!
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fDquLWxKc0Q&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fDquLWxKc0Q&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

If you have an Ipad, open your Youtube app and search for Queen Anne Stakes, displays beautifully on there!

OTM Al
06-16-2010, 11:50 AM

I think they bought in on the "it will run just like dirt" which was initially advertised. Had that been true, then there would have been no need to change, but I think once they figured out it wasn't it was felt to be too late to go back. Needless to say, many of these races may start dropping through the evaluation process quite soon.

cj
06-16-2010, 11:51 AM
I think they bought in on the "it will run just like dirt" which was initially advertised. Had that been true, then there would have been no need to change, but I think once they figured out it wasn't it was felt to be too late to go back. Needless to say, many of these races may start dropping through the evaluation process quite soon.

One would hope so, but with Keeneland being a major player for polytrack I tend to doubt it.

OTM Al
06-16-2010, 12:00 PM
One would hope so, but with Keeneland being a major player for polytrack I tend to doubt it.

Sacred Keeneland likely won't have anything touched, I agree, but CA should start sinking in the graded component. I for one would just like to see a fair playing track at Keeneland sometime in my life. Went from rocketship bias to poly, about as different as possible. Not sure which was worse from a racing perspective, but I know some feel the change really blew betting on next starts at CD.

Dahoss9698
06-16-2010, 12:21 PM
Ever notice how some guys just slither out of threads when they make stupid statements that are proven wrong? At least he made the same mistake twice, so we know he truly believed it.

It's part of that playbook I was discussing in another thread. Make a stupid comment and then pretend you didn't. I believe it's in chapter 3 of the book.