PDA

View Full Version : Maureen Dowd: Obama a Thin-Skinned Controlling Eliteist

andymays
06-13-2010, 12:32 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/13/opinion/13dowd.html

Excerpt:

The press traveling with Obama on the campaign never had a lovey-dovey relationship with him. He treated us with aloof correctness, and occasional spurts of irritation. Like many Democrats, he thinks the press is supposed to be on his side.

Excerpt:

The former constitutional lawyer now in the White House understands that the press has a role in the democracy. But he is an elitist, too, as well as thin-skinned and controlling. So he ends up regarding scribes as intrusive, conveying a distaste for what he sees as the fundamental unseriousness of a press driven by blog-around-the-clock deadlines.

andymays
06-13-2010, 12:36 PM
This guy is in trouble from all sides. I hope he doesn't decide to drag the country down with him. But that's probably wishfull thinking.

NJ Stinks
06-13-2010, 12:39 PM
All of sudden Maureen Dowd and Bill Maher are authorities to the righties around here.

Next you'll be quoting Keith Olbermann and Republicans who actually want to pay for something. :rolleyes:

andymays
06-13-2010, 12:43 PM
All of sudden Maureen Dowd and Bill Maher are authorities to the righties around here.

Next you'll be quoting Keith Olbermann and Republicans who actually want to pay for something. :rolleyes:

It's hard to believe the "Slobbering Love Affair" with the media is over.

Who woulda thunk it?

You have to admit it's not good for "the chosen one". ;)

The funny thing is that if it wasn't for all these liberal journalists Obama would never have gotten close. Hillary would probably be president and doing a much better job than Obama.

kenwoodall2
06-13-2010, 12:52 PM
I hope Controlling includes with BP some day soon!

alytim
06-13-2010, 02:45 PM

Which Republicans wanted to be on the pay as we go plan for the current Iraq war?

JustRalph
06-13-2010, 03:30 PM
Maureen hasn't been the same since Fred Thompson turned her down.......
:lol:

I thought they would turn, never imagined this fast though. I am loving it.

I think they could go right back behind their man for the election though

TheBid9
06-13-2010, 06:04 PM
Wow, Obama an elitist- who would have thought!!!

Robert Goren
06-13-2010, 06:14 PM
It has to be killing the right to agree with the press. There is one thing have learned over years, the media will turn any politican sooner or later. There are no media darlings for very long. It is the nature of the beast.

GaryG
06-13-2010, 06:34 PM
It has to be killing the right to agree with the press. There is one thing have learned over years, the media will turn any politican sooner or later. There are no media darlings for very long. It is the nature of the beast.If the emperor wasn't such an incompetent, preening narcissist he would have had the MSM in his pocket all the way. By the way, I am probably as far to the right as any other poster here and I love it to death. Notice that BO has become such a pariah he sent Clinton (the male one) to try and prop up Harry in Nevada.

boxcar
06-13-2010, 07:19 PM
It has to be killing the right to agree with the press.

As usual, you have it all backwards. Who was ahead of the curve on this: The Right or the Media? If anyone is feeling the sting, it would be the late bloomin' media, since they are just now catching up to the Right. ;)

Boxcar

NJ Stinks
06-13-2010, 07:25 PM
Which Republicans wanted to be on the pay as we go plan for the current Iraq war?

Exactly.

Apparently, there is nothing as patriotic as a tax cut. :rolleyes:

boxcar
06-13-2010, 07:53 PM
Exactly.

And Biden and his ilk, who believe patriotism is measured by how much taxes we're willing to pay, are dumber than dirt. Btw, NJ, do you agree with Biden? :rolleyes:

Boxcar

JustRalph
06-13-2010, 08:44 PM
Exactly.

Now you are starting to understand............

Tom
06-13-2010, 10:40 PM

No, we are laughing because THEY are agreeing with us. WE have been there all along. It took the morons in the press this long to figure it out.

andymays
06-14-2010, 12:15 PM
By Joan Walsh of Salon. Another journalist who loved Obama.

http://www.salon.com/news/politics/barack_obama/index.html?story=/opinion/walsh/politics/2010/06/13/after_obama

The president's recent political missteps raise questions about what he's doing for -or to- the Democratic Party

Excerpt:

Two stories about President Obama this weekend pushed my growing unease with his recent moves into full-blown anxiety. They come on the heels of Tim Dickinson's devastating Rolling Stone piece laying out concrete problems with Obama's response to the BP oil spill – from delays in cleaning up the Minerals Management Service, distrusting scientists who correctly reported the spill was much bigger than BP said, and waiting more than a week to declare the crisis "an Oil Spill of National Significance," which corralled new services. Maybe the most damning section of Dickinson's piece comes when he quotes the president proudly announcing he'd reversed his stand against offshore oil drilling. "It turns out, by the way, that oil rigs today generally don't cause spills," the president said. "They are technologically very advanced." Dickenson notes: "Eighteen days later, on the eve of the 40th anniversary of Earth Day, the Deepwater Horizon rig went off like a bomb."

jballscalls
06-14-2010, 12:54 PM
can i get one of your guys definition of an elitist. not a dictionary version, but your guys version. because that seems to be the descriptor thrown out alot about Obama most

boxcar
06-14-2010, 12:55 PM
can i get one of your guys definition of an elitist. not a dictionary version, but your guys version. because that seems to be the descriptor thrown out alot about Obama most

What's wrong with the dictionary version?

Boxcar

boxcar
06-14-2010, 01:03 PM
By Joan Walsh of Salon. Another journalist who loved Obama.

http://www.salon.com/news/politics/barack_obama/index.html?story=/opinion/walsh/politics/2010/06/13/after_obama

The president's recent political missteps raise questions about what he's doing for -or to- the Democratic Party

Excerpt:

Two stories about President Obama this weekend pushed my growing unease with his recent moves into full-blown anxiety. They come on the heels of Tim Dickinson's devastating Rolling Stone piece laying out concrete problems with Obama's response to the BP oil spill – from delays in cleaning up the Minerals Management Service, distrusting scientists who correctly reported the spill was much bigger than BP said, and waiting more than a week to declare the crisis "an Oil Spill of National Significance," which corralled new services. Maybe the most damning section of Dickinson's piece comes when he quotes the president proudly announcing he'd reversed his stand against offshore oil drilling. "It turns out, by the way, that oil rigs today generally don't cause spills," the president said. "They are technologically very advanced." Dickenson notes: "Eighteen days later, on the eve of the 40th anniversary of Earth Day, the Deepwater Horizon rig went off like a bomb."

We haven't heard anything. In an attempt to distance himself from the "Bush' s Katrina" label, he's likening this disaster to the 9/11 attacks! :bang: :bang:

And in his upcoming speech, he's going to tell Americans how this environmental disaster must reshape our thinking about the environment and our ENERGY use for many years to come. (Anyone know how to spell "Cap and Trade"?) I have been telling everyone this reprobate would not let a good crisis go to waste! This disaster was made to order for this administration. It will be its "marketing tool" to sell this devastating bill to Americans. Then we'll all get to see what a real crisis is all about.

Boxcar

jballscalls
06-14-2010, 01:04 PM
What's wrong with the dictionary version?

Boxcar

nothing i guess, i was just more looking for specific examples related to BO, i'm sure there are tons

Steve 'StatMan'
06-14-2010, 01:27 PM

No, we are laughing because THEY are agreeing with us. WE have been there all along. It took the morons in the press this long to figure it out.

I'm loving it, although it would have been better if they took a good hard look at him BEFORE the election, now he's supposed to be our nation's leader. But I'm laughing all the more because the media knows they sold Obama to us, and they know we know they sold him to us - at least the 47% on the right from the last presidential election. And in order for them to appeal more to us and gain 'our trust' back, they now realize they have to distance and bury this guy, quicker than they tried to bury GWB alive. Stories, ratings and money are everything to them. Looks like now we'll get 31 months of the media trying to publicly stone him with every grain of sand and piece of gravel.

I sure hope more voters learned the lesson not to trust the main stream media anymore.

andymays
06-14-2010, 01:30 PM
I'm loving it, although it would have been better if they took a good hard look at him BEFORE the election, now he's supposed to be our nation's leader. But I'm laughing all the more because the media knows they sold Obama to us, and they know we know they sold him to us - at least the 47% on the right from the last presidential election. And in order for them to appeal more to us and gain 'our trust' back, they now realize they have to distance and bury this guy, quicker than they tried to bury GWB alive. Stories, ratings and money are everything to them. Looks like now we'll get 31 months of the media trying to publicly stone him with every grain of sand and piece of gravel.

I sure hope more voters learned the lesson not to trust the main stream media anymore.

Right on the money. :ThmbUp:

PaceAdvantage
06-15-2010, 11:33 AM
Maybe the most damning section of Dickinson's piece comes when he quotes the president proudly announcing he'd reversed his stand against offshore oil drilling. "It turns out, by the way, that oil rigs today generally don't cause spills," the president said. "They are technologically very advanced." Dickenson notes: "Eighteen days later, on the eve of the 40th anniversary of Earth Day, the Deepwater Horizon rig went off like a bomb."Sounds a bit like his own, personal "Mission Accomplished."

I wonder if we'll be reminded of this at every turn in the coming months and years, both here on off-topic and in the media and on the late night comedy shows...somehow I doubt it...but you never know.

BlueShoe
06-15-2010, 01:12 PM
Would you prefer magalomaniac instead? That one fits Obama as well, and the dictionary definition is just fine.