PDA

View Full Version : cooked? we will see today

46zilzal
06-12-2010, 11:54 AM
The great Gallorette just gave up one day and was never the same mare. For the sake of the game, and the diminishing past performance lines, lets hope that Rachel Alexandra has not read that chapter of history.

horses4courses
06-12-2010, 12:21 PM
I have to admit that I'm not convinced that Rachel will return to greatness.

Really hoping, though, that I'm wrong about this.

Would love to see her smoke to an easy win today.

When she is at her best, she is a sight to behold...........

PaceAdvantage
06-12-2010, 12:28 PM
If she improves as much off her last as she did off her first, she could easily win this by open lengths, but that wouldn't mean she would be back to last year's best...

She could also show that kind of improvement and still get beaten a few lengths by Jessica Is Back if that one runs back to her best ever...then everyone will be calling for her retirement...even though she ran the same race in both scenarios....

Just saying we shouldn't get carried away either way....

Funny how that works, isn't it?

horses4courses
06-12-2010, 12:33 PM
If she improves as much off her last as she did off her first, she could easily win this by open lengths, but that wouldn't mean she would be back to last year's best...

She could also show that kind of improvement and still get beaten a few lengths by Jessica Is Back if that one runs back to her best ever...then everyone will be calling for her retirement...even though she ran the same race in both scenarios....

Just saying we shouldn't get carried away either way....

Funny how that works, isn't it?

Say what you like about your figures.

I'll say this:
If RA can't beat G2 types three races in a row, and she doesn't look like she's having fun out there doing it, how much longer should they persevere?

ArlJim78
06-12-2010, 12:53 PM
Let's keep our fingers crossed that she's found a field that she can handle.

PaceAdvantage
06-12-2010, 02:03 PM
Say what you like about your figures.

I'll say this:
If RA can't beat G2 types three races in a row, and she doesn't look like she's having fun out there doing it, how much longer should they persevere?I didn't say a thing about figures...but thanks for another stellar contribution on this topic.

DeanT
06-12-2010, 02:13 PM
I thought they would call it quits after the last one so I am not much in tune with JJ :)

It seems to me that she would have to race poor today for them to call it a day. It seems they want to keep trying her hoping to see the explosive move that only she has when she is the real RA. We dont get to see that type of pure talent much in our sport, so let's hope so.

andymays
06-12-2010, 02:39 PM
Unrivaled Belle just got trounced.

Show Me the Wire
06-12-2010, 02:43 PM
So did Bullsbay. And Borel is 3 for 3 today.

PaceAdvantage
06-12-2010, 03:11 PM
If we want to talk about figures...I just looked at the figures I use on a day-in, day-out basis...and Jessica Is Back scares the crap out of me...

If Rachel doesn't improve off her last two, she could easily lose to JIB...so much for an easy spot...hope I'm wrong...

Tom
06-12-2010, 03:20 PM
I am definitely betting against RA today, based on these figs.
Jess is getting my money.

DeanT
06-12-2010, 03:21 PM
If Rachel doesn't improve off her last two, she could easily lose to JIB...so much for an easy spot...hope I'm wrong...
I keyed Jessica in my pick 6's, so you should rethink that :)

andymays
06-12-2010, 03:28 PM
She took the heat and ran great. I was wrong about her retiring.

PaceAdvantage
06-12-2010, 03:29 PM
Jess is getting my money.I was looking at those too...I'm glad I was wrong...

Learned Hand35
06-12-2010, 03:29 PM
Am I crazy or was that stupid figure 8 finally gone?

Tom
06-12-2010, 03:30 PM
Well, that worked out just fine. :bang:

Next time.....SOUP cans. :D

Seriously, Good to see her win.

Robert Goren
She wins easy.

DeanT
I was looking at those too...I'm glad I was wrong...
Told ya :)

Jessica was totally wonky today so she looked beat early anyway,imo, even if RA was no good today.

Grits
YEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Third off the LO, and she's back!!

only11
06-12-2010, 03:34 PM
the tomato cans came up empty,,she was sticking her tongue out to all of her doubters :)

Show Me the Wire
06-12-2010, 03:35 PM
No figure eight today.

cpitt84
06-12-2010, 03:35 PM
the tomato cans came up empty,,she was sticking her tongue out to all of her doubters :)

lol i saw that..she looked so silly :D

only11
06-12-2010, 03:36 PM
No figure eight today.
had nothing to do with her losing her last 2 outings..

Learned Hand35
06-12-2010, 03:39 PM

Disagree. Not saying it was the only reason, but there was no doubt she hated the thing and have been screaming about it since the first race back.

horses4courses
06-12-2010, 03:40 PM
Rachel sure looks back on track........ :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Show Me the Wire
06-12-2010, 03:41 PM

Today the competition was much easier, but the absence of the figure eight is interesting in light of the improved performance.

She'll probably get 115 BSF for her performance ;)

only11
06-12-2010, 03:41 PM
Disagree. Not saying it was the only reason, but there was no doubt she hated the thing and have been screaming about it since the first race back.
then why have it 1 let alone twice

PaceAdvantage
06-12-2010, 03:44 PM
She still had her head cocked to the right...I think people were talking about that these past few months, correct?

Plus, that little hop to the right to get out from behind Jessica early was interesting...

I'm not going to claim she is back...this was the way she was supposed to run...but at least this should shut up the absurd chants of "retire her now."

Show Me the Wire
06-12-2010, 03:49 PM
She still had her head cocked to the right...I think people were talking about that these past few months, correct?

Plus, that little hop to the right to get out from behind Jessica early was interesting...

I'm not going to claim she is back...this was the way she was supposed to run...but at least this should shut up the absurd chants of "retire her now."

On first impression she seemed much straighter, I was much more interested in seeing if she would pull away from the competition and the winning margin than watching her head.

Learned Hand35
06-12-2010, 03:54 PM
then why have it 1 let alone twice

Ask Stevie. He should have taken it off after the Fairgrounds.

Obviously, he realized they made a mistake with it or it would have been on today.

Grits
06-12-2010, 03:55 PM
On first impression she seemed much straighter, I was much more interested in seeing if she would pull away from the competition and the winning margin than watching her head.

So was I, SMTW. I noticed her head, but it was only evident, briefly upon heading into the first turn. I thought the move outside was swift. And smart on Calvin's part.

Pleased for Steve A. Maybe Mr.Jackson will relax a bit now.

OntheRail
06-12-2010, 03:56 PM
Yep I noticed the head turn... but could of just been looking Jessica in the eye... then got down to business. I have also noticed she seems to like the 3 path as of late. Calvin did a fantastic job on her today hand ridden down the lane... so much for all those that thought JJ should or would replace him on her. Thing can only get better from here on out. :jump:

only11
06-12-2010, 04:22 PM
Ask Stevie. He should have taken it off after the Fairgrounds.

Obviously, he realized they made a mistake with it or it would have been on today.
she got beat by a better horse THAT day...i doubt they beat her now..but the figure 8 bridle had little to do with it maybe she wasnt 100% back yet..

GaryG
06-12-2010, 04:26 PM
she got beat by a better horse THAT day...i doubt they beat her now..but the figure 8 bridle had little to do with it maybe she wasnt 100% back yet..You know this for a fact do you?

only11
06-12-2010, 04:28 PM
You know this for a fact do you?
let me ask you DO YOU KNOW FOR A FACT THE REASON SHE LOST WAS BECAUSE OF THE FIGURE 8?

Tom
06-12-2010, 05:00 PM
When life hands you tomatoes, make tomato sauce! :bang:

Learned Hand35
06-12-2010, 05:14 PM
let me ask you DO YOU KNOW FOR A FACT THE REASON SHE LOST WAS BECAUSE OF THE FIGURE 8?

No one has said that the reason she lost as the figure eight. It certainly didn't help especially when you review her obvious distaste for it.

I do believe in the possibility of a different outcome if she had not been training and racing with it.

I glad that you can be so absolute in your opinions.

only11
06-12-2010, 05:17 PM
No one has said that the reason she lost as the figure eight. It certainly didn't help especially when you review her obvious distaste for it.

I do believe in the possibility of a different outcome if she had not been training and racing with it.

I glad that you can be so absolute in your opinions.
i was respponding to what Gary posted...

GaryG
06-12-2010, 05:30 PM
let me ask you DO YOU KNOW FOR A FACT THE REASON SHE LOST WAS BECAUSE OF THE FIGURE 8?I think it was a factor, but there is no way to say conclusively why she lost those races.

Hanover1
06-12-2010, 05:50 PM
A figure 8 don't mean squat if the horse is allowed to roll. A non factor here even if it was on OR off. She gets hooked a half after stalking a half, and is under duress, we will she if she is back...final time of Lis indicates shes willing to move forward when asked at this time. Not really a test for a mare of that quality. Next out should be final answer, however most of us expected a victory today as well.

WinterTriangle
06-12-2010, 05:53 PM

I didn't.

Thank god she won. Now we can move on and see how her form will progress/hold up.

I see now that she won, there's already an argument brewing about why she lost the other 2. :D

(BTW, Sire/bms stats for winning on dirt were very high on the #3. Fusaichi Pegasus/Dixieland Band. )

WinterTriangle
06-12-2010, 06:12 PM
Calvin did a fantastic job on her today hand ridden down the lane... so much for all those that thought JJ should or would replace him on her.

I don't think many thought that.

I think JJ thought that, about both Steve A and Calvin.

That's how I got to disliking him, he seems to not really trust his team. Some people have to call the shots, and can't take a back seat even in areas where their expertise isn't better.

PaceAdvantage
06-12-2010, 06:33 PM

That's how I got to disliking him, he seems to not really trust his team. Some people have to call the shots, and can't take a back seat even in areas where their expertise isn't better.Why would you think this? If JJ thought for even one second that Calvin wasn't the best match for Rachel, don't you think Calvin would have been gone a long time ago?

It's obvious JJ believes in Calvin (at least at Churchill, which he should given Calvin's 2010 record there).

I've called for Rachel to get a new rider in the past...I still think she can do better...but maybe not at Churchill...lol...and since the BC is @ Churchill this year, perhaps keeping Calvin on is the right move after all...

BluegrassProf
06-12-2010, 06:37 PM

That's how I got to disliking him, he seems to not really trust his team. Some people have to call the shots, and can't take a back seat even in areas where their expertise isn't better.Out of legitimate curiosity: is this assessment based on a particular problematic incident or - more appropriately - series of incidents?

If so, can you cite it/them specifically?

Make no mistake, you won't exactly find me cheering from Jess Jackson's corner, but his persona seems to be more constructed than anything else lately...