PDA

View Full Version : Buckeyes and Corn Huskers......

JustRalph
06-11-2010, 11:50 PM
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/06/11/big-ten-unanimously-approves-nebraskas-membership/

Looks like the Big Ten Title just got more interesting............

Big Ten unanimously approves Nebraska's membership

Posted by John Taylor on June 11, 2010 6:02 PM ET
In what was a mere formality, Big Ten presidents have unanimously approved Nebraska's application for conference membership.

Here's the press release from the Big Ten making the historic announcement:

The Big Ten Council of Presidents/Chancellors (COP/C) announced unanimous approval today for the University of Nebraska-Lincoln (UNL) to join the Big Ten Conference effective July 1, 2011, with competition to begin in all sports for the 2011-12 academic year. UNL will also seek admission into the Committee on Institutional Cooperation (CIC), which can occur on or before July 1, 2011.

The addition of the University of Nebraska marks the Big Ten's first expansion since Penn State University joined the conference in June of 1990 and will increase Big Ten membership to 12 institutions for the first time in conference annals. Big Ten Commissioner James E. Delany will join University of Nebraska Chancellor Harvey Perlman and Director of Athletics Tom Osborne on campus in Lincoln, Neb., for press conference at 5 p.m. CT on Friday, June 11.

OTM Al
06-12-2010, 07:42 AM
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/06/11/big-ten-unanimously-approves-nebraskas-membership/

Looks like the Big Ten Title just got more interesting............

Big Ten unanimously approves Nebraska's membership

Posted by John Taylor on June 11, 2010 6:02 PM ET
In what was a mere formality, Big Ten presidents have unanimously approved Nebraska's application for conference membership.

Here's the press release from the Big Ten making the historic announcement:

The Big Ten Council of Presidents/Chancellors (COP/C) announced unanimous approval today for the University of Nebraska-Lincoln (UNL) to join the Big Ten Conference effective July 1, 2011, with competition to begin in all sports for the 2011-12 academic year. UNL will also seek admission into the Committee on Institutional Cooperation (CIC), which can occur on or before July 1, 2011.

The addition of the University of Nebraska marks the Big Ten's first expansion since Penn State University joined the conference in June of 1990 and will increase Big Ten membership to 12 institutions for the first time in conference annals. Big Ten Commissioner James E. Delany will join University of Nebraska Chancellor Harvey Perlman and Director of Athletics Tom Osborne on campus in Lincoln, Neb., for press conference at 5 p.m. CT on Friday, June 11.

Just the beginning. Notre Dame is the main prize for the Big 10 just as Texas is for the Pac-10

Robert Goren
06-12-2010, 10:07 AM
If the pac 10 could get Texas without A&M and Tech, It would be great deal. Everybody wants Texas, most would take A&M if they had too, but nobody wants Tech. The big 12 is done. Besides Texas, the next question becomes what happens to Oklahoma? Maybe CJ has some news on that.

OTM Al
06-12-2010, 10:19 AM
The most commonly spoke of deal is that the Pac-10 gets Colorado, Oklahoma, Ok St, Texas, Texas A&M and Texas tech. These schools would be Joined with Arizona and AZ St to form an eastern division with the original 8 schools forming the western division. Latest reports have Texas A&M waffling between going this route or going to the SEC but Colorado is already gone and the other 4 look like a done deal.

I would like the Big-10 to pick up Kansas and K-State along with Missouri and Nebraska but it looks like they want to look to the east rather than staying in the middle of the country. Rutgers, Maryland and Syracuse have been mentioned.

rastajenk
06-12-2010, 11:11 AM
In all the realignment scenarios I've seen the last few months, nobody is courting the Kansases. :D Since football is driving all of this, those guys just don't seem to bring much to anybody's table. Can't somebody throw 'em a bone? C-USA...The Valley...somebody???

GaryG
06-12-2010, 11:21 AM
The Mountain West would be a good place for the Kansases. I believe they just added Boise to make ten. A&M would get hammered in the SEC.

OTM Al
06-12-2010, 12:31 PM
In all the realignment scenarios I've seen the last few months, nobody is courting the Kansases. :D Since football is driving all of this, those guys just don't seem to bring much to anybody's table. Can't somebody throw 'em a bone? C-USA...The Valley...somebody???

It is football driving it all, though those two would make Big Ten hoops the best in the land. Big 10 is being a little picky as they are basing part of the decision on academic reputation as well. It's why I thought for a little while they might actually get Texas, but they certainly weren't interested in A&M and Tech, which is likely why Texas headed west.

ceejay
06-12-2010, 07:49 PM
If the pac 10 could get Texas without A&M and Tech, It would be great deal. Everybody wants Texas, most would take A&M if they had too, but nobody wants Tech. The big 12 is done. Besides Texas, the next question becomes what happens to Oklahoma? Maybe CJ has some news on that.

OSU, OU headed to Pac-10, sources say
http://newsok.com/osu-ou-headed-to-pac-10-sources-say/article/3468167?custom_click=lead_story_title

ElKabong
06-12-2010, 09:04 PM

KU has a "K-State problem", their state legislature is having the same sizures I'm seeing in Austin.

KU will be fine. Their great hoops program will not take a step back, schedules are changed all the time in conferences to provide programs like KU marquis matchups...they could wind up in the missouri valley conf and still be a top 5 nat'l powerhouse.

I've worked w/ a lot of k-state alums. They're taking this all pretty well. They know they're f'd in the long run and KU will take it out on them for yrs b/c KU wanted to build a sustained winning football program....that's a pipe dream now

ElKabong
06-12-2010, 09:12 PM
If the pac 10 could get Texas without A&M and Tech, It would be great deal. Everybody wants Texas, most would take A&M if they had too, but nobody wants Tech. The big 12 is done. .

all above is very true..

ElKabong
06-12-2010, 09:32 PM
Big 10 is being a little picky as they are basing part of the decision on academic reputation as well. It's why I thought for a little while they might actually get Texas, but they certainly weren't interested in A&M and Tech, which is likely why Texas headed west.

The b10 stopped being picky about academics when they took in Nebraska. That kinda of surprised me, their research funding & programs fall way short of the rest of the b10. Getting CIC $ is going to be a boon for them, but still...

this much will please the corn...the b10 apparently allows football teams unlimited partial academic qualifiers- which i find hard to be true given the quality of their universities. When the b12 was hatched, TEXAS demanded a restricted # of PQ's, which NU had feasted on for yrs...that put NU at a disadvantage, the criminal element was rampant in Lincoln in Osborne's final yrs (lawrence phillips, etc)...

my guess...once the b10 sees NU putting a lineup on the field that is over 50% of PQ's, they'll make PQ restrictions just like the b12 did in its inception...and Osborne's replacement will bitch and moan as loudly as he did (see bill byrne for further proof)

UT might wait this (transfer) out another yr. There's *serious* consideration of them starting their own tv network. Also, we'd rather stay in the same conf as 0u than anm (but may have little say in the matter--the legislature thing-- which is still trying to be skirted by UT). The 0u game is big for both ut and ou...for us, it's not necessarily the ticket/gate receipts. It's the massive donations to the LHF you have to make to get decent tickets to that particular game for several yrs running. So, that game is a HUGE money maker even if the gate receipts don't match a home game vs iowa st or baylor... the donations for the TX OU game is worth several million dollars annually.

the anm game doesn't get anywhere near the demand for tix from alumni the way the OU game does...never has.

Thus, if anm wants to separate, that's fine with us. They haven't been a contender for a nat'l title in my lifetime and i'm older than baseball... a&m will always be a great univ as long as the PUF fund is intact, but will always be TEXAS' lil brother when it comes to the 3 major sports.

OTM Al
06-12-2010, 10:11 PM
The b10 stopped being picky about academics when they took in Nebraska. That kinda of surprised me, their research funding & programs fall way short of the rest of the b10. Getting CIC $ is going to be a boon for them, but still...

this much will please the corn...the b10 apparently allows football teams unlimited partial academic qualifiers- which i find hard to be true given the quality of their universities. When the b12 was hatched, TEXAS demanded a restricted # of PQ's, which NU had feasted on for yrs...that put NU at a disadvantage, the criminal element was rampant in Lincoln in Osborne's final yrs (lawrence phillips, etc)...

my guess...once the b10 sees NU putting a lineup on the field that is over 50% of PQ's, they'll make PQ restrictions just like the b12 did in its inception...and Osborne's replacement will bitch and moan as loudly as he did (see bill byrne for further proof)

UT might wait this (transfer) out another yr. There's *serious* consideration of them starting their own tv network. Also, we'd rather stay in the same conf as 0u than anm (but may have little say in the matter--the legislature thing-- which is still trying to be skirted by UT). The 0u game is big for both ut and ou...for us, it's not necessarily the ticket/gate receipts. It's the massive donations to the LHF you have to make to get decent tickets to that particular game for several yrs running. So, that game is a HUGE money maker even if the gate receipts don't match a home game vs iowa st or baylor... the donations for the TX OU game is worth several million dollars annually.

the anm game doesn't get anywhere near the demand for tix from alumni the way the OU game does...never has.

Thus, if anm wants to separate, that's fine with us. They haven't been a contender for a nat'l title in my lifetime and i'm older than baseball... a&m will always be a great univ as long as the PUF fund is intact, but will always be TEXAS' lil brother when it comes to the 3 major sports.

I didn't think they were that bad. Lower end in the conference for sure, but Iowa and Ohio St are not real juggernauts either beyond a few programs. It is as good as Missouri and certainly better than Texas Tech and Iowa State, who no one seems to want. It's not great, but then most of the top research Universities don't play D-I in football

GaryG
06-12-2010, 10:16 PM
Whoever gets Tech is going to regret it. That program has peaked and is on the road back to mediocrity. Was that a Hope and Crosby movie?

ElKabong
06-14-2010, 01:44 AM
Gary,

while i certainly won't argue your point much, the same c/b said for colorado....yet the pac took em

CU has been a doormat recently in football, there's no reason to think they'll dig outta that ditch soon. They have no recruiting base, their fans are as fickle as can be (and ask nebraska fans how they treat you in the stands in Boulder)

At least Tech has always been "competitive" every yr in the b12, prior to Leach's arrival even...colorado has been far from it...add to the fact that CU is, always has been, always will be a piece of dogshit in basketball, you have to wonder what the attraction w/ them is. Denver ain't that big, and CU takes the deepest of backseats to the nfl team there when it comes to tv viewerships

and they don't field a baseball team....bush league ath program when you look at CU from top to bottom

ceejay
06-14-2010, 07:22 PM
http://newsok.com/big-12-close-to-announcing-long-term-deal/article/3468519?custom_click=lead_story_title

looks like things have changed
Big 12 South exodus to the Pac-10 appears dead. Multiple sources told The Oklahoman today that the Big 12 is close to announcing a new commitment to a 10-team league.

ElKabong
06-15-2010, 12:52 AM
ceejay,

i kind of hope that happens...but even this hr espn radio has a pac official and rose bowl official saying TEXAS is headed to the pac (i assume you guys go to)

so much disinformation has been bounced around on this...like any other negotiation, nothing is final until the ink is dry...even then i'm sure UT will start talks immediately w/ the pac and b10 looking towards the end of this contract w/ the b12 (if they sign)...the b12 is toast, longterm- at least in its current config

i'll say this...if we do go to the pac, expect CU to howl about how UT held out for a better deal than CU and anyone else...i heard their AD on a local station here, i thought they were going to have to break out the Depends on the guy. Pure crybaby.