PDA

View Full Version : Who Says a Black Box Program Can’t Be Profitable?

rmania
06-11-2010, 01:08 PM
The information you’re about to see may or may not seem sufficient for the claims being made. However, the figures do encompass the entire Hollywood Park meet as of yesterday (6/10/10).

The referenced black box is a handicapping software program but no handicapping was performed prior to data collection. Thus the black box reference.

The software is designed for use in sprint races only (5f - 7.5f) so therefore the numbers do not represent every race. The software provides (among other things) three viewing screens which visually depict each horse’s probable position at each of the three main track markers (i.e., ½ mile pole, ¼ pole, and the finish line).

This first set of stats was compiled by making an imaginary $2 win wager on each horse seen as leading in the software’s finish line viewing screen:

Total Races: 104
Total Winners: 40 (38%)
Total Bet: $208.00
Total Return: $254.80
Total Profit: $46.80
ROI: +18%

If these returns seem rather small, especially with a 38% win rate, it’s because 22 of the 40 winners were the race favorite. 10 of the 22 were the odds-on choice. Still, a profit is a profit.

This next set of stats was complied by making an imaginary $2 win wager on each horse seen as leading at both the ¼ pole and finish line viewing screens:

Total Races: 39
Total Winners: 17 (44%)
Total Bet: $78.00
Total Return: $96.40
Total Profit: $18.40
ROI: +19%

Again, small returns for an even higher win rate. In this case 13 of the 17 winners were the race favorite with more than half (7) being the odds-on choice. But the key here is less risk (39 bets vs. 104) and a higher ROI (19% vs. 18%).

Sticking with these 39 races (both view leaders), the selection used was the race favorite in 24 races leaving 15 races where the selection was not the favorite.

The breakdown on those 15 races are as follows:

Total Races: 15
Total Winners: 4 (27%)
Total Bet: $30.00
Total Return: $43.60
Total Profit: $13.60
ROI: +31%

Of course, playing only 15 races over the course of an entire meet to date seems hardly worth the effort. Yet, by doubling the wager to $4 on these 15, the ROI increases to 23% on the 39 races played.

I’ll continue to compile these stats through the remainder of the Hollywood Park meet and provide periodic updates.

Jake
06-11-2010, 02:17 PM
Great to see, even with the small sample. I have used a black box approach for 3 years with great success, and have found that same race exotic betting has doubled the ROI over straight win betting. I assume this might be true for your sample group as well. Might wish to back check this to see if this would be true here as well. I think black box methods are the best way to consistently generate daily profits, despite all the naysayers to the contrary. However, agreed with discussions on other threads here that it counterproductive to have a large user group all plying the same methods and betting the same selections. So, if too many players were playing Rmania selections selections, his nice ROI would vanish. That the dilemma with sharing black box solutions.

Jake

JBmadera
06-11-2010, 02:22 PM
nice!

please pass on your methodology to John Meriwether, et al.....those black-scholes guys could use some help!

jb

Robert Goren
06-11-2010, 04:33 PM
nice!

please pass on your methodology to John Meriwether, et al.....those black-scholes guys could use some help!

jb:lol: :lol: :lol:

SchagFactorToWin
06-12-2010, 10:11 AM
Yet, by doubling the wager to $4 on these 15, the ROI increases to 23% on the 39 races played.

How does the ROI change by changing the bet size?

garyoz
06-12-2010, 10:37 AM
This is retrospective, if there is model tweaking, it is backfitting. How about something prospective? Also, let the sample size increase. Amazing how models work on historic data.

kingfin66
06-15-2010, 12:23 AM
Actually, rmania has posted quite a few "prospective" picks on the forum over the years and recent months. They have actually done quite well...amazingly well really. Those were not necessarily black box picks, but they used the same software as the black box sample.

gm10
06-15-2010, 05:45 AM
The information you’re about to see may or may not seem sufficient for the claims being made. However, the figures do encompass the entire Hollywood Park meet as of yesterday (6/10/10).

The referenced black box is a handicapping software program but no handicapping was performed prior to data collection. Thus the black box reference.

The software is designed for use in sprint races only (5f - 7.5f) so therefore the numbers do not represent every race. The software provides (among other things) three viewing screens which visually depict each horse’s probable position at each of the three main track markers (i.e., ½ mile pole, ¼ pole, and the finish line).

This first set of stats was compiled by making an imaginary $2 win wager on each horse seen as leading in the software’s finish line viewing screen:

Total Races: 104
Total Winners: 40 (38%)
Total Bet: $208.00
Total Return: $254.80
Total Profit: $46.80
ROI: +18%

If these returns seem rather small, especially with a 38% win rate, it’s because 22 of the 40 winners were the race favorite. 10 of the 22 were the odds-on choice. Still, a profit is a profit.

This next set of stats was complied by making an imaginary $2 win wager on each horse seen as leading at both the ¼ pole and finish line viewing screens:

Total Races: 39
Total Winners: 17 (44%)
Total Bet: $78.00
Total Return: $96.40
Total Profit: $18.40
ROI: +19%

Again, small returns for an even higher win rate. In this case 13 of the 17 winners were the race favorite with more than half (7) being the odds-on choice. But the key here is less risk (39 bets vs. 104) and a higher ROI (19% vs. 18%).

Sticking with these 39 races (both view leaders), the selection used was the race favorite in 24 races leaving 15 races where the selection was not the favorite.

The breakdown on those 15 races are as follows:

Total Races: 15
Total Winners: 4 (27%)
Total Bet: $30.00
Total Return: $43.60
Total Profit: $13.60
ROI: +31%

Of course, playing only 15 races over the course of an entire meet to date seems hardly worth the effort. Yet, by doubling the wager to $4 on these 15, the ROI increases to 23% on the 39 races played.

I’ll continue to compile these stats through the remainder of the Hollywood Park meet and provide periodic updates.

I certainly accept the notion of a profitable black box system, but I think you need more races before your ROI becomes stable.

joeyspicks
06-15-2010, 11:03 AM
rmania...GOOD to see a post from you again. The program seems very worth while. All I can say is when rmania used to post selections (way back when)
his would be one of the VERY FEW worth looking at.. Nice Job

rlopez781
06-15-2010, 12:31 PM
Rmania,
The data files were exclusively through Post Time Daily and only the California
tracks.Were you able to upgrade it using Bris data files and eastern tracks
like Aqueduct and Belmont?

CBedo
06-15-2010, 03:07 PM
How does the ROI change by changing the bet size?It's a mix issue. He didn't increase bet size on all bets, just the non-favorites, so 15 of the 39 wagers got doubled.