PDA

View Full Version : Arlington All Sources Handle down 31%. To cut stakes purses 775k!

andymays
06-11-2010, 11:58 AM
http://www.drf.com/news/article/113804.html

Excerpt:

ARLINGTON HEIGHTS, Ill. - Arlington Park will cut $725,000 from the rest of its 2010 stakes schedule because of a sharp decline in handle on the track's races since last year.

Excerpt:

A purse cut has been looming at Arlington since the earliest days of this meet, which began April 29, and though betting on Arlington from out-of-state sources has improved marginally over the last couple weeks, due in part to New York City OTB resuming bet-taking on Arlington races, the drop from 2009 business levels remains sharp. Through last Sunday, June 6, counting the first 25 days of 2009 racing against 25 in 2010, total average daily handle from all sources has dropped 31.1 percent, from $4,394,249 to $3,028,223. Average daily ontrack handle this year is $378,034, compared to $448,510 last year. All betting figures are supplied by the Illinois Racing Board, since Arlington, as part of Churchill Downs Inc. policy, does not publicize handle figures.

Hedevar
06-11-2010, 12:55 PM
Doesn't surprise me. They're running four days a week with six and seven horse fields. Calabrese is claiming horses for $30,000.00 and running them back for $15,000. He's winning at over 50%. Larry Rivelli and Wayne Catalano operate in similar manners and are over 30%. The meeting is straight out of Alice in Wonderland.

Striker
06-11-2010, 01:54 PM
It is the typical don't give a crap about the customer run track, they don't even treat their VIPs well. I know plenty of former regular customers that have gone to internet betting not because of the convenience factor but because the way they were treated by Arlington's management. Arlington is my home track and I certainly have cut down on what they get from myself. It amazes me how different their parent company is when I visit Churchill, it is like night and day with CD's customer service and what they do for the horseplayer. You can just look at what other tracks at least experiment with to at least try to change some things up. Look at Churchill, Fairgrounds, Hawthorne all did night racing which I think was somewhat successful in increasing handle. All Arlington does is a July 3rd fireworks promotion at 4pm and it is packed in that place. When I have been there this year on saturdays it is a ghost town and this is what they deserve IMHO.

JBmadera
06-11-2010, 01:55 PM
wonder how far handle would fall sans Jessica......:eek:

Hedevar
06-11-2010, 02:06 PM

You're right about that. She's the biggest draw they have.

Bettowin
06-11-2010, 02:06 PM

Without her handle would probably point straight down :kiss:

JustRalph
06-11-2010, 02:41 PM
couldn't have anything to do with the surface..........nope.......no way....

Grits
06-11-2010, 03:05 PM

Ralph, could be. Could be. But, they'll make it all back on Million Day. Poor guys entering other stakes get the shaft.

Next thing one has to wonder. When will CDI cut Churchill, Calder, Hollywood, and Arlington to just the two day weekend?

I sure hope NYRA doesn't have this problem at Saratoga! If so, the town'll go broke.:lol:

Lord, our sport's in trouble.:faint:

Hedevar
06-11-2010, 03:27 PM

Yes Ralph it could have to do with the surface but there was a reason Polytrack was installed in 2007. In 2006 Arlington Park suffered a record number of catastrophic breakdowns. There were at least four comprehensive investigations into the track with no final result determined. Arlington had one modern well equiped equine ambulance but unfortunately in some races two horses suffered catastrophic breakdowns. In those cases horses were euthanized on the track without the dreaded blue tarp and fans actually saw horses fall over after administration of the lethal drugs. The publicity had fans staying away in droves. I am aware of the injuries that Polytrack can cause but management is happier with fewer breakdowns and I don't see things changing. Some blamed trainers for racing unsound horses. I don't think this arguement can be dismissed out of hand but Arlington is not a third rate bullring. Breakdowns have fallen off precipitously but I cannot speak to other injuries. I do not give Arlington management credit for much, if anything, but I do give them credit for trying to reduce catastrophic breakdowns.

Foolish Pleasure
06-11-2010, 03:36 PM
and although they ran on dirt for 100yrs somehow the surface was to blame and not the Catalanos of the world.

now they running less sound stock than ever on a more forgiving surface than ever and somehow that is good for the sport.

:bang: :bang: :bang:

just another synthetic track in a blue state woefully underperforming the industry average.

BillW
06-11-2010, 03:38 PM

They do restrict distribution and charge a lot for it, in addition they strongly restrict rebates. This possibly has a minor effect. ;)

Hedevar
06-11-2010, 03:41 PM
and although they ran on dirt for 100yrs somehow the surface was to blame and not the Catalanos of the world.

now they running less sound stock than ever on a more forgiving surface than ever and somehow that is good for the sport.

:bang: :bang: :bang:

just another synthetic track in a blue state woefully underperforming the industry average.

We all know where you stand FP.

Valuist
06-11-2010, 03:46 PM
The problem is that back in 2006 when breakdowns were up, the Chicago Tribune went on a smear campaign, writing negative articles about AP and the surface every day. CDI named a guy track president who had no experience in racing and knew nothing about the sport. They took the easy way out and put in the awful fake dirt. If they had any conviction they would've put a new surface in, but they fell for the sales job.

Foolish Pleasure
06-11-2010, 03:47 PM
Newsflash-

breakdowns spiked across the country the same year(2004) or shortly thereafter that synthetic snail venom was approved by the FDA and they never came back down.

this is not a coincidence and installing new whatever instead of facing the problem head-on is decimating the entire sport.

from prospective owners who won't get involved because one has to cheat to have any shot,

to prospective bettors who are sick of fantasyland races where a Dutrow gets left by two seconds and somehow still wins going away.

to the public at large who gets to witness an all systems failure up close and personal like Eight Belles.

the only thing missing is some grand conspiracy to take down some of these multi million dollar carryover pools.

the pollution is overflowing the tank, synthetic tracks are nothing more than a poor air freshener at best-the customers don't seem to like the smell regardless and AP is a place that always reeked to holy hell now smells worse than ever.

ddog
06-11-2010, 03:47 PM
Since most all you guys don't and didn't play it according to your own postings, then you have nothing worth hearing on the subject.

The fact is that a few owners/trainers as at many tracks now have it all their own way AND THEY LIKE IT.
Monopoly is always preferred if possible.

They can cut stakes purses all they want, the few will still take what money is on the table due to small and smaller fields and less and less competition.
That's called from weak to strong hands.

People that played the track in the past when there was a better shot to make money will stop playing as that process continues.
Rational behavior.

Same as a small dirt track , I can give names but you would know them already.

Economics will force the choices, run on water, rubber , grass or dirt, same diff.

NEWSFLASH... with the criminal breeding operations and the use of drugs in same there is no stopping the weakness of the herd. Natural.

Foolish Pleasure
06-11-2010, 03:57 PM
Evolution itself creates breakdowns.

Speed creates greater physical forces and stress which lead to greater breakdowns.

Synthetic track is no different than restrictor plate racing.

They make the rail slow to create wider arcs around the turns,
and they slow down the races bringing all the horses closer together.

the rest of it is nonsense bullshit. all they doing is creating less force which is going to result in less breakdowns all else equal. But all else isn't equal,
scumbag trainer will find the minimal threshold required and all of a sudden back to square one-

see when Norcal closes and they run at FPX, breakdown rate since Norcal went synthetic at FPX is astronomical-has nothing to do with FPX, same FPX as forever-has to do with the unsound horses coming out of Norcal thanks to the tapeta.

InsideThePylons-MW
06-11-2010, 03:57 PM
Proof that 9% of nothing is not better than 5% of something.

BlueShoe
06-11-2010, 04:01 PM
Used to look forward to AP, but then the plastic came, and things changed. Now, my approach is pretty much like my attitude toward Keeneland; the turf course still okay for serious wagering, but not the plastic main.

exiles
06-11-2010, 06:11 PM

ARL. WAS GETTING MOST OF MY HANDLE BEFORE POLY,NONE SINCE.

therussmeister
06-11-2010, 08:10 PM
In 2006 Arlington Park suffered a record number of catastrophic breakdowns.

They did not have a record amount of breakdowns in 2006. They had a lot early in the meet, but less later to finish higher than average, but within the historical norms. Management decided early in the meet to change to poly, undoubtedly under pressure from the horsemen. Randomness is clumpy, and causes people that don't understand this to make unfortunate decisions.

illinoisbred
06-11-2010, 08:43 PM
A very very sad of affairs. The polytrack surface has been quirkier this year than the 3 previous years. They have 3-4 stables flaunting outrageous win %s. Too much looks and smells bad at Arlington. Would the Calabrese "brain trust" ever claim another 25,000+ claimer if they could use nothing but hay,oats,and water?

tbwinner
06-12-2010, 12:04 AM
This track has gotten horrible. It is my home track, seeing it today on a Friday with no one there except the regulars really saddened me. I bet 2 races at Arlington today, the rest of my handle went to Monmouth, Belmont, and Churchill this evening.

I saw a $25,000 win pool there and was reminded of a place like Indiana Downs (even Hawthorne did more than that on most days). The first race had six in with a scratched runner I believe, nice field of 5 to start the day!

Cutting purses is not going to make horsemen happy either, I know a few that have shipped down to Churchill (including many from Catalano's barn - I think he only had two or three in today's) or even east to Monmouth.

owlet
06-12-2010, 04:23 AM
Three years ago when I wrote on several forums that the end was near I was called a pessimist, an idiot and worse.

The end is in fact near. Most major tracks like Arlington have a year or two left. By 2015 it will be 3-4 self-survivable tracks in the country (Churchill, Del Mar) with a couple of regional fair meets--places like Prineville, Oregon, Gila County in Arizona, non wagering bush tracks in Utah or a place like the old Bandera Downs in Texas. There will also maybe still be some slot infused places like Louisiana. But all in the latter category will themselves become relics, just as a fire dies first to embers and then to black, dark ashes.

That will be it; the sport is literally disintegrating right in front of us.

Hedevar
06-12-2010, 09:00 AM
Racing board looks into Arlington Park's horse deaths

Tuesday, July 11, 2006
By Kevin Roy
July 11, 2006 (Last Updated: 4:09:48 PM) (WLS) -- An unusually high number of horses racing at Arlington Park have suffered life-ending breakdowns this season. The Illinois Racing Board is searching for a solution.

What's hurting the horses at Arlington Park? It's a mystery no one seems to be able to solve.

On Tuesday, the Illinois Racing Board met to try to find out why, since May 5, 17 horses have suffered catastrophic breakdowns while racing, forcing them to be put down.

"The board is very concerned about this as it should be," said Commissioner Joe Casciato, Illinois Racing Board.

At its monthly meeting Tuesday, the Illinois Racing Board revealed that Arlington Park's breakdown rate this season is one in every 192 racing starts. That is nearly five times the average of Hawthorne Park, where the rate was one in every 1,092 starts this year. It is especially troubling that Hawthorne and Arlington race more than 90-percent of the same horses.

Much suspicion has focused on the final turn before the horses hit the home stretch on Arlington's track -- which is where most of the injuries have happened. But Arlington officials repeated again Tuesday that an outside consultant found nothing wrong with it.

Up until now, Arlington Park officials have been pushing the idea that a thoroughbred shortage in Illinois may be to blame. But Tuesday, they seemed to change course, now talking about our rainy weather as a possible cause.

"I think the weather is something we need to look at as a primary cause," said Roy Arnold, Arlington Park President.

Last week, Arlington added ground pine bark to its track surface to soften it. They are looking into switching over to a synthetic material or making other changes to the track, but only after this season. That idea does not sit well with some.

"The idea that we're going to wait until the end of the meet to do something remedial, while at the same time looking at further breakdowns isn't acceptable," said Commissioner John Simon, Illinois Racing Board.

"[Arlington Park] is one of the best tracks in the country," said Commissioner Jack Chamblin, Illinois Racing Board. "I think it's something that will go away." But for Arlington Park management, it can't go away fast enough.

(Copyright ©2010 WLS-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)

parlay
06-12-2010, 09:52 AM
I used to look forward to Arlington.
I also used to look forward to Woodbine and Keeneland.
Now i look forward to different activities.
My wagering has gone down 75% SINCE THE BEGINNING
OF THE YEAR.
37 YEARS OF PLAYING THIS GAME
THE PTB HAVE WORN ME OUT
MY 2 SONS DO NOT GO TO THE TRACK
THEY WILL BE IN VEGAS IN 2 WEEKS AND WILL
NOT BET A HORSE RACE.
IF I CANT RAISE A HORSEPLAYER THIS SPORT IS DOOMED.

lamboguy
06-12-2010, 10:03 AM
i have no idea what is the particular reason for handles thoughout america dropping in tracknet tracks. but they have been pretty good in places like monmouth, penn national, deleware, tampa, indiana downs, sunland, turf paradise, maybe the folks that are associated with the track net people should learn something from the non-tracknet tracks.

Hedevar
06-12-2010, 10:30 AM
Three years ago when I wrote on several forums that the end was near I was called a pessimist, an idiot and worse.

The end is in fact near. Most major tracks like Arlington have a year or two left. By 2015 it will be 3-4 self-survivable tracks in the country (Churchill, Del Mar) with a couple of regional fair meets--places like Prineville, Oregon, Gila County in Arizona, non wagering bush tracks in Utah or a place like the old Bandera Downs in Texas. There will also maybe still be some slot infused places like Louisiana. But all in the latter category will themselves become relics, just as a fire dies first to embers and then to black, dark ashes.

That will be it; the sport is literally disintegrating right in front of us.

Don't worry we've all been called names here, it goes with the territory. Some of the names and things I've been called have been deleted by the mods. As for Del Mar, I am not sure of the future of any California track even one as beautiful as Del Mar, with Frank Stronach lurking around. Churchill needs slots and right now whether or not they get them is questionable to say the least.

wisconsin
06-12-2010, 12:30 PM
IF I CANT RAISE A HORSEPLAYER THIS SPORT IS DOOMED.

Well,

I have 4 boys (men) and they have no interest, either. Oh sure, we may have stopped at a track on a vacation if handy (been to 30), that's one thing. Come with me to AP on a Sunday? No way, Ray.

Striker
06-14-2010, 12:24 AM
But it isn't a problem for them to draw 40,000 to see Lee DeWyze perform a few songs. And that was organized in less than 1 week.

toussaud
06-14-2010, 01:10 PM
it has more with the two "super trainers" taking NW2x allowance horses and shoving them in for 10-15k claiming races every race than anything else. at some point you say why bother and play another track.

"super trainers" are killing arlington park.