PDA

View Full Version : Was this just a coincidence? GG R4 6/10/10

Maverick58034
06-11-2010, 11:09 AM
Something I noticed the other day, but didn't get a chance to post about until now.

I was 'capping Golden Gate's 4th race yesterday, and I noticed something odd in the morning line 8-5 favorite's, Big Wave Rider's, running line from his last race:

"Rank to 1/2p, game late"

It just seemed odd to me that a horse who had already run 18 races would suddenly be rank after showing no such signs in his previous 18 starts, and being a pretty good horse (19-8-5-2).

My thought was that something had to be wrong with the horse - the horse was no longer sound. The result, of course:

"BIG WAVE RIDER tracked the top two to the second turn from just off the rail, angled out for the drive but broke down near the sixteenth pole and had to be euthanized on the track."

My question to you all is: was there a corollary between him being rank one race and breaking down in his next race? I believe there is. And if there is, then why did the trainer/owners run him again? Not sure why but this one bothers me more than usual - maybe because it could be been so easily prevented (hell, even I saw it and I know nothing about horse health, etc).

What do you guys think?

woodtoo
06-11-2010, 02:32 PM
Just watched both replays,looked to be tugging the rein's a bit,not too rank.in first race
In the last race I thought the jockey really kept the whip to him in the stretch,maybe causing him to overexert any energy he had left and take a bad step.All in all I don't think it could be forseen.A very sad accident.

kenwoodall2
06-11-2010, 04:09 PM
3 weeks since last race/ Bill McLean owned and trained, Hess claimed/ stewards looked at replay like he horse may have been obstructed. If Hess claimed and stewards reviewed the race, IMO without seeing PPs is that something fatal happened during the race rather than the horse being wrong pre-race.
This is my list that was distributed during the 2008 Welfare snd Safety conference:
"Here is the list I made that was added to and/or most items approved by Seabiscuit movie trainer Michael Chew, and by Tom Schell:

DANGER SIGNS A RACEHORSE MAY HAVE A LEG/FOOT PROBLEM:

D eclining speed

N egative PP comments

F ront wraps

01) More than 3 months' layoff between races.

02) 2 or more gaps in racing frequency of more than 6 weeks.

03) 3 or more consecutive races with gaps of 2 weeks or less.

04) 2 or more consecutive unusually slow workouts.

05) Lugging, drifting, swerving more than once within 1 or 2 races, especially on turns.

06) Awkwardness while trying to switch leads.

07) Excessive bobbing while running, (like a merry-go-round pony).

08) Any problems leaving the gate in a race.

09) 5 or older stretching out or shipping to a slower pars track (wearing down).

10) Losing normal early speed.

11) Lung infection (possible parallel sign of overwork).

12) New front wraps.

13) 1 month of racing while showing no works.

14) Alteration of training or racing regimen.

15) more than 19 1/2 furlongs of workouts and/or races within 30 days.

Stillriledup
06-11-2010, 07:49 PM
If i remember correctly, Big Wave Rider was late scratched out of the post parade a bunch of months ago on a suspicious drop. I dont remember when this was, maybe 6 months ago?