PDA

View Full Version : Brother has Terminal Cancer

douglasw32
06-10-2010, 07:48 AM
I know this is probably not the best place to put this out there, but... I am a little messed up right now.

I found out 3 days ago that My older Brother (I have two one older 51, one younger 38) and a sister 45.

Well the older one ended up in the hospital with a back ache and not being able to swallow, turns out he has Cancer in his back, bones and throat.

They had him for about a week, sent him home with a feeding tube and 4 months to live.

He is getting radiation and starting chemotherapy this week.

He has lived in Georgia for about 7 years now, and wants to come home to die, where his family is here in upstate NY.

I always made the FAST PROGRAMS "Donation Ware" sort of just to give it some kind of license, now it actually could have a Purpose !!

Here is my plan:

We are trying to raise enough money to bring my Brother home, and even though I have always been the crazy one that "Throws Away" money on horses, I think I can have a major impact on the effort with everyones help.

He was given 4 months, we only have 4 weeks to get some money together.

CAN YOU HELP ?

I don't care if it is $2.00, The url I am going to post is what we are going to set up in coordination with a "computer Tune Up" day at my small business here in town 2 weeks from now and a Pancake Breakfast we are going to hold 3 weeks from now.

We are also going to use Face Book, so anyone on face book add me as a friend ...http://www.facebook.com/hitechslocal

Then at least you can spread the word on the next link.. the one that takes donations.

Here is what I am asking, ANYONE who can spare a buck or more, go here.

http://www.giveforward.org/timwood/

And give, that way when we get the page completely done and hit Facebook with all the people close enough to come to the Benefit, and the Computer day and when we go to local business's for silent auction items there is already a "bar set"

I am going to be donating $300.00 then I am giving my Brother in law $200.00 to put up and my Wife, Misty $100.00 that way we start off with (If You Help) a lot of hits ... plus a few big donations.

From everything I read that should get this thing off right out of the gate.

If I am out of line PA forgive me and just delete this, I am not big on asking for handouts, but his only request was to come home, and I think I can pull of getting him here for my Mom and Dad. And have my love for handicapping and the community that has accepted me lend a hand without me going down the wrong path and trying to hit a few trifectas next week.... the link above will issue a Check directly to My Brother at the end of the fundraiser.

To date this is the hardest thing I have had to face, it makes you very quickly remember your mortal.

RichieP
06-10-2010, 07:58 AM
Doug
Please check your PM box.

My warmest thoughts/prayers for you and your loved ones

098poi
06-10-2010, 08:17 AM
My Dad passed away a year ago tomorrow and I was fortunate to have family around. I have made a small donation in his memory. Best wishes.

Floyd
06-10-2010, 08:30 AM
Doug,
Thanks for all you've done. I've tossed a little in the hat, but there is no way I can adequately reward you for the fun I've been having thanks to your efforts. I hope you have lots of chances to laugh with your brother in the time you have together.

Pcon04
06-10-2010, 10:13 AM
doug

sorry about your brother my prayers are with

your family daily..

pat

Handiman
06-10-2010, 11:17 AM
Hey Buddy,

I will do whatever I can. My next disability check doesn't come till next week, but when I get it I will make sure you get some.

My heart goes out to you and your family! I will keep you all in my prayers!

Your Buddy,
Handi:)

punteray
06-10-2010, 12:24 PM
All My best to you and your family.

Ray Scalise

mmdorn
06-10-2010, 12:35 PM
Doug,

All my prayers to you and your family.

Mike Dorn

LottaKash
06-10-2010, 03:11 PM
I

To date this is the hardest thing I have had to face, it makes you very quickly remember your mortal.

Douglas, my heartfelt condolences and prayers are with you, your brother and your family....

I can sympathize with you most greatly, as I have had to face the loss of three of my own family members due to cancer....

Douglas, perhaps this may be inappropriate to say at a time like this, but I feel compelled to say it regardless, because this is what I have witnessed and learned...

If at all possible, and if you have any say in the matter, I strongly urge you to "NOT" let them do any Radiation or Chemo on your brother....It will serve no useful purpose, other than to further line the coffers of those who would sell you those things...

You poor brother has his hands full as it is right now, and those forms of treatment will only add to the "brutality" of his illness....Chemo and Radiation will cause your brother to suffer even more, needlessly...Those products, will burn him and poison him even more so, and, often enough,they "cause" more cancer...And they will only add more misery to his reality....I have seen this in action....

I will continue to pray for him....

best,

pat
06-10-2010, 03:33 PM
Doug
My prayers are with you and your family. My family and i had suffered a blow about 8 months ago my 37 yr old son out of nowhere went into renal failure and had to be put on dialysis while he waited for a kidney.Through the prayers of many my son recieved a kidney from a live donor (non family member), which is astronomical odds.Dont give up hope keep praying.

Pat

barshoe
06-10-2010, 04:48 PM
My prayers are with you and your family.

illinoisbred
06-10-2010, 06:40 PM
Doug

Did your brother's doctors give any consideration to stem cell therapy? About 7 years ago,my sister's father in-law was diagnosed with cancer in the same places as your brother and given 6 months to live. The doctor suggested trying stem cell therapy and improvement came quickly and today he's alive and healthier than ever. Just a thought-my prayers are with you and your family.

lsosa54
06-10-2010, 06:48 PM
Very sorry to hear that, Doug.

Vinnie
06-10-2010, 06:50 PM
Doug:

All warm thoughts, well wishes and prayers go out to you and your family. I wish your brother only the very best. He and your entire family will be in my prayers each day Doug.

dmattern
06-10-2010, 07:40 PM
Doug,
You have my sincere sympathy. I would like your e-mail address to send you an e-mail that was sent to me about asparagus and cancer. You can take it for whatever you think it is worth.
Sincerely
Dwight
My e-mail is dmattern@neo.rr.com

Roger
06-10-2010, 08:04 PM
Doug,

My thoughts are with you and your family during this difficult time.

Roger,

douglasw32
06-10-2010, 08:05 PM
Doug
Please check your PM box.

My warmest thoughts/prayers for you and your loved ones

Thanks Richie

douglasw32
06-10-2010, 08:05 PM
My Dad passed away a year ago tomorrow and I was fortunate to have family around. I have made a small donation in his memory. Best wishes.

I am so sorry, Thank You for helping my Family.

douglasw32
06-10-2010, 08:06 PM
Doug,
Thanks for all you've done. I've tossed a little in the hat, but there is no way I can adequately reward you for the fun I've been having thanks to your efforts. I hope you have lots of chances to laugh with your brother in the time you have together.

So do I (Everyones words are making it kind of hard to sit over a keyboard without making it wet)

douglasw32
06-10-2010, 08:07 PM
doug

sorry about your brother my prayers are with

your family daily..

pat

Thank You Pat, we can use all of the help.

douglasw32
06-10-2010, 08:08 PM
Hey Buddy,

I will do whatever I can. My next disability check doesn't come till next week, but when I get it I will make sure you get some.

My heart goes out to you and your family! I will keep you all in my prayers!

Your Buddy,

Handi, just knowing I have support is helping (I don't need to tell you)

Thanks Man ! for everything.

douglasw32
06-10-2010, 08:09 PM
All My best to you and your family.

Ray Scalise

Thanks Ray !

douglasw32
06-10-2010, 08:09 PM
Doug,

All my prayers to you and your family.

Mike Dorn

Mike prayers are always accepted, Thanks.

douglasw32
06-10-2010, 08:14 PM
Douglas, my heartfelt condolences and prayers are with you, your brother and your family....

I can sympathize with you most greatly, as I have had to face the loss of three of my own family members due to cancer....

Douglas, perhaps this may be inappropriate to say at a time like this, but I feel compelled to say it regardless, because this is what I have witnessed and learned...

If at all possible, and if you have any say in the matter, I strongly urge you to "NOT" let them do any Radiation or Chemo on your brother....It will serve no useful purpose, other than to further line the coffers of those who would sell you those things...

You poor brother has his hands full as it is right now, and those forms of treatment will only add to the "brutality" of his illness....Chemo and Radiation will cause your brother to suffer even more, needlessly...Those products, will burn him and poison him even more so, and, often enough,they "cause" more cancer...And they will only add more misery to his reality....I have seen this in action....

I will continue to pray for him....

best,

I am so sorry to hear of anyone who has gone through this, I meant that the help of everyone donating before we set the site off on facebook to our local community, friends and family, should get the raising of money going.

Sorry I was a bit messed up typing it.

I agree chemo is not going to be good for him, but again with him being a grown adult, and all of us being in NY not Georgia, we have very little say in anything. And I really think he is going along with anything they say right now (I would) he has to be scared, he puts out on the phone it is not bothering him, but that is my older brother trying to watch over me still.

Thanks for saying it, not out of line.

douglasw32
06-10-2010, 08:15 PM
Doug
My prayers are with you and your family. My family and i had suffered a blow about 8 months ago my 37 yr old son out of nowhere went into renal failure and had to be put on dialysis while he waited for a kidney.Through the prayers of many my son recieved a kidney from a live donor (non family member), which is astronomical odds.Dont give up hope keep praying.

Pat

Pat- WOW ! and Great, Hope really helps, we are trying to give him some, and all of you just helped a bunch !

douglasw32
06-10-2010, 08:16 PM
My prayers are with you and your family.

Thank You BarShoe

douglasw32
06-10-2010, 08:17 PM
Doug

Did your brother's doctors give any consideration to stem cell therapy? About 7 years ago,my sister's father in-law was diagnosed with cancer in the same places as your brother and given 6 months to live. The doctor suggested trying stem cell therapy and improvement came quickly and today he's alive and healthier than ever. Just a thought-my prayers are with you and your family.

I unfortunately have very little details, again we are Praying ourselves for his move back and a second opinion.

douglasw32
06-10-2010, 08:18 PM
Very sorry to hear that, Doug.

I know man, this helps.

douglasw32
06-10-2010, 08:19 PM
Doug:

All warm thoughts, well wishes and prayers go out to you and your family. I wish your brother only the very best. He and your entire family will be in my prayers each day Doug.

Vinnie, Thanks ;)

douglasw32
06-10-2010, 08:20 PM
Doug,
You have my sincere sympathy. I would like your e-mail address to send you an e-mail that was sent to me about asparagus and cancer. You can take it for whatever you think it is worth.
Sincerely
Dwight
My e-mail is dmattern@neo.rr.com

Dwight and anyone else, dwood@localpcpros.com

douglasw32
06-10-2010, 08:20 PM
Doug,

My thoughts are with you and your family during this difficult time.

Roger,

Thank You Roger !

Greyfox
06-10-2010, 08:21 PM
My prayers are with you.
I had a brother just 3 years older than me who battled this horrendous disease.
In your brother's instance, chemo and radiation may cause more nausea than he should stand.

douglasw32
06-10-2010, 08:27 PM
I know this is probably not the best place to put this out there, but... I am a little messed up right now.

I found out 3 days ago that My older Brother (I have two one older 51, one younger 38) and a sister 45.

Well the older one ended up in the hospital with a back ache and not being able to swallow, turns out he has Cancer in his back, bones and throat.

They had him for about a week, sent him home with a feeding tube and 4 months to live.

He has lived in Georgia for about 7 years now, and wants to come home to die, where his family is here in upstate NY.

I always made the FAST PROGRAMS "Donation Ware" sort of just to give it some kind of license, now it actually could have a Purpose !!

Here is my plan:

We are trying to raise enough money to bring my Brother home, and even though I have always been the crazy one that "Throws Away" money on horses, I think I can have a major impact on the effort with everyones help.

He was given 4 months, we only have 4 weeks to get some money together.

CAN YOU HELP ?

I don't care if it is $2.00, The url I am going to post is what we are going to set up in coordination with a "computer Tune Up" day at my small business here in town 2 weeks from now and a Pancake Breakfast we are going to hold 3 weeks from now.

We are also going to use Face Book, so anyone on face book add me as a friend ...http://www.facebook.com/hitechslocal

Then at least you can spread the word on the next link.. the one that takes donations.

Here is what I am asking, ANYONE who can spare a buck or more, go here.

http://www.giveforward.org/timwood/

And give, that way when we get the page completely done and hit Facebook with all the people close enough to come to the Benefit, and the Computer day and when we go to local business's for silent auction items there is already a "bar set"

I am going to be donating $300.00 then I am giving my Brother in law $200.00 to put up and my Wife, Misty $100.00 that way we start off with (If You Help) a lot of hits ... plus a few big donations.

If I am out of line PA forgive me and just delete this, I am not big on asking for handouts, but his only request was to come home, and I think I can pull of getting him here for my Mom and Dad. And have my love for handicapping and the community that has accepted me lend a hand without me going down the wrong path and trying to hit a few trifectas next week.... the link above will issue a Check directly to My Brother at the end of the fundraiser.

This has set us up good to start the fund raiser, thanks Everyone !!!

Dahoss9698
06-10-2010, 09:27 PM
Very sorry to hear about this.

douglasw32
06-10-2010, 09:33 PM
My prayers are with you.
I had a brother just 3 years older than me who battled this horrendous disease.
In your brother's instance, chemo and radiation may cause more nausea than he should stand.

Why do they use this chemo if it does nothing but hurt the people?
Sorry to hear about your btoher.

douglasw32
06-10-2010, 09:33 PM
Very sorry to hear about this.

dirt
06-11-2010, 03:23 AM
Sorry to hear will pray for the best

newtothegame
06-11-2010, 04:34 AM
My family's thoughts, prayers and heart felt wishes will be with your brother and your family during these trying times.

thaskalos
06-11-2010, 05:08 AM
Why do they use this chemo if it does nothing but hurt the people?
Sorry to hear about your btoher. Doug,

I am very sorry to hear about your brother...you and your family have my best wishes at this very difficult time.

I would like to say something to you about chemo that is a little different from the advice you have already gotten.

In 2001, my wife was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer, which had spread from her breast, to both lungs and to her ribs. The doctors at one of the best hospitals in the midwest gave her 6 months to live. She was 33 years old.

When I read up on what chemo was, and the affect it has on a person's body, I was horrified, and I tried to convince her to go a different route in treating this terrible disease. The doctors however insisted that the chemo was her best chance at a "longer" life.

She took the strongest form of chemo available, because her heart was proven to be strong enough to withstand it.

Although I hated seeing what the chemo was doing to her, she never complained, and she would tell me repeatedly that, if it meant that she could stay alive, she would take the chemo forever.

Instead of 6 months, she lasted for 3.5 years, and at the end, her biggest regret was that there were no more drugs for her to take to stay alive a little longer.

There is no doubt that the chemo brings devastation to the body...but when the dying person is still young...the will to live is strong enough to deal with any treatment a doctor can prescribe.

I hope my story helps...and I wish good luck to all of you.

douglasw32
06-11-2010, 07:19 AM
Sorry to hear will pray for the best

Appreciated

douglasw32
06-11-2010, 07:19 AM
My family's thoughts, prayers and heart felt wishes will be with your brother and your family during these trying times.

Thank You all

douglasw32
06-11-2010, 07:23 AM
Doug,

I am very sorry to hear about your brother...you and your family have my best wishes at this very difficult time.

I would like to say something to you about chemo that is a little different from the advice you have already gotten.

In 2001, my wife was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer, which had spread from her breast, to both lungs and to her ribs. The doctors at one of the best hospitals in the midwest gave her 6 months to live. She was 33 years old.

When I read up on what chemo was, and the affect it has on a person's body, I was horrified, and I tried to convince her to go a different route in treating this terrible disease. The doctors however insisted that the chemo was her best chance at a "longer" life.

She took the strongest form of chemo available, because her heart was proven to be strong enough to withstand it.

Although I hated seeing what the chemo was doing to her, she never complained, and she would tell me repeatedly that, if it meant that she could stay alive, she would take the chemo forever.

Instead of 6 months, she lasted for 3.5 years, and at the end, her biggest regret was that there were no more drugs for her to take to stay alive a little longer.

There is no doubt that the chemo brings devastation to the body...but when the dying person is still young...the will to live is strong enough to deal with any treatment a doctor can prescribe.

I hope my story helps...and I wish good luck to all of you.

You have no idea, this has kept me up last night, I was about to start hitting google.

I appreciate both sides of this chemo mess, and have subscribed to the fact that the doctors are trying, and he is agreeing so I will stay out of it.

It will I am sure be hard to watch what it does to him. but I think (and I will ask) he is willing to try anything

Trotman
06-11-2010, 07:52 AM
Doug my thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family. After losing my friend Andy in March and my mother just this past May I know how tough it is. You and your family make the most of these days. May the peace be with you.

wisconsin
06-11-2010, 12:51 PM
My thoughts and prayers to you and your family, and may you find the strength to make it through this very difficult situation.

douglasw32
06-11-2010, 10:10 PM
Doug my thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family. After losing my friend Andy in March and my mother just this past May I know how tough it is. You and your family make the most of these days. May the peace be with you.

Peace be with you also, and Thank you for sharing.

douglasw32
06-11-2010, 10:11 PM
My thoughts and prayers to you and your family, and may you find the strength to make it through this very difficult situation.

Doing something together is giving us strength, The people on this board give me a feeling of community like nothing in the real world !

Dave Schwartz
06-11-2010, 10:36 PM
Doug,

Would you care to share a little about your brother and his life?

Is he married? Kids? What does he do for a living?

Dave

douglasw32
06-11-2010, 10:56 PM
I would love to Dave.

My Brother -

Face Book Page (http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1568346205&hiq=tim,wood&ref=search#!/profile.php?id=1568346205&v=info&ref=search)

The funniest part of the facebook profile is he says he is in an open relationship, and on his wifes it says for hers, "Complicated"

He is 50, 9 year seperate us, only one year my younger brother.

I have alot of memories, but mainly he was always the cool one when we were growing up, first to have "records" not cd's or downloads, first to stay out late, first to drive a car, etc... things like that.

Later in life I helped him battle alcoholism , I attended many an AA meeting.

It took the move to Georgia, to stop that , and I am talking 25 years of it !

His body took a beating, his relationships, etc. But we all stood by him and he cleaned himself up. VERY PROUD. I used to always think during those times we would get a call from a rehab that he was dead due to a liver problem or some other complication.

He has a wife and a 21 year old daughter, a son from his first marriage that none of us have ever been able to find after losing touch with him, we had 3 short years with him over 25 years ago...no one has any idea even how to find him since we had heard his mother had changed his name long ago.

All we know is he used to be Christopher Wood.

He has held odd jobs off and on his whole life but really enjoyed what he was doing in Georgia building homes for a real estate company, very large homes, until the economy flopped in that area.

He is very very quiet... Always says I love you hanging up a phone, has road on a bus the whole way back to NY just to surprise my mom on thanks giving and Christmas twice now.

Loves cooking, mowing his lawn, his 3 dogs and his computer.

And has not yet complained about any of whats happening.

His exact words and what I hold on to, is the 1st day I called after he got the news.

"Doug I have been through rough times in my life this is just one more, I am very used to taking things one day at a time"

Tonight he called my mom and asked for a recipe, "I can grind things up in the blender to taste them and still get nutrition from the tube"

He is quickly becoming a hero in my eyes.

Tom
06-11-2010, 11:36 PM
My prayers go out to your and your family, Doug. You have been a great and generous friend to us all here. I hope you can find peace.
Make the most of the time left.

PaceAdvantage
06-11-2010, 11:59 PM
Doug, we are all hoping and praying for the best for your brother, for you and for your entire family as you all cope together with this...sounds like your brother already has a helluva built-in support system with you at the helm...that is so important...

Jingle
06-12-2010, 09:10 AM
Doug,

I echo Tom's message. I met your brother through a mutual friend--Bill W--you must know him too. In circumstances like this the Serenity Prayer works wonders: "God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference" My prayers are with you and your family. As your brother said "take it one day at a time"

douglasw32
06-12-2010, 09:14 AM
My prayers go out to your and your family, Doug. You have been a great and generous friend to us all here. I hope you can find peace.

Thank you Tom

douglasw32
06-12-2010, 09:16 AM
Doug,

I echo Tom's message. I met your brother through a mutual friend--Bill W--you must know him too. In circumstances like this the Serenity Prayer works wonders: "God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference" My prayers are with you and your family. As your brother said "take it one day at a time"

Jingle, you met him as in "real life met him" ...

Grits
06-12-2010, 10:51 AM

Doug,

We fight. Its born in us. This, along with what modern medicine can achieve today, allows us, often, more time. It may not cure us, still, it buys us the precious time that we so much desire.

When I read your post, until I read that your brother was in Georgia, I thought I was reading the recent diagnosis of a longtime friend's 62 year old, (until now) perfectly healthy spouse. Their diagnosis are amazingly similar. My friend's cancer is a small cell virulent one. A few weeks ago, he went to his physician with fatigue and mild back pain only. Cat scans and other test revealed a tumor between his heart and lungs that is inoperable. The cancer, pressing against his esophogus, is also in his lymph nodes, his ribs, his spine, and his bones.

A team of oncologists corroborated and came up with an attack plan; one involving weeks of radiation and chemotherapy. It was Terry's only hope.

Talk with your brother, talk with his wife. With his doctors. Help him to see all options and risks going forward in treating his cancer.

Terry had two chemotherapy treatments a week apart. He experienced fatigue without any nausea. He was doing well at home. On Monday, after the second Friday chemo treatment, he had a massive stroke affecting his right side. He cannot eat, he cannot walk. Cognitively, he is fine. But the damage is great, the struggle is tremendous. His situation worse, he's been moved to rehab, but this will be a much longer, much harder battle. One, that for him, was complicated by the powerful chemotherapy needed. He's on morphine to control his back pain, and unable to swallow food.

We all respond differently to the protocols used treating terminal illness, and this is a risk with chemo, one that another friend's mother suffered as well while battling colon cancer. A risk that doctors sometime don't make us fully aware of.

Thaskalos is right "the will to live is so strong".

Tom is right too. "Make the most of the time you have left."

None of us want to leave here. None of us want to go quietly into the night.

"One day at a time" your brother said, "one day at a time." He's wise, and he has understanding, but please, help him to be aware of his risks. I've not told you any of this to freighten you. My intent is to help you, help him. You all will be in my prayers, along with my friend, Terry. It is devastating to realize what this disease can do to one's body before ever rearing its head with a single symptom.

Take care.

g

Jingle
06-12-2010, 11:01 AM
Doug,

Not in real life but with what you said about him I feel I've met him along the way.

douglasw32
06-12-2010, 11:16 AM
Doug,

Not in real life but with what you said about him I feel I've met him along the way.

Oh completely understood, I was just clarifying.. I have seen how often 5 degrees of separation happens.

Tis a small world after all.

The internet makes it smaller

douglasw32
06-12-2010, 11:25 AM
Doug,

We fight. Its born in us. This, along with what modern medicine can achieve today, allows us, often, more time. It may not cure us, still, it buys us the precious time that we so much desire.

When I read your post, until I read that your brother was in Georgia, I thought I was reading the recent diagnosis of a longtime friend's 62 year old, (until now) perfectly healthy spouse. Their diagnosis are amazingly similar. My friend's cancer is a small cell virulent one. A few weeks ago, he went to his physician with fatigue and mild back pain only. Cat scans and other test revealed a tumor between his heart and lungs that is inoperable. The cancer, pressing against his esophogus, is also in his lymph nodes, his ribs, his spine, and his bones.

A team of oncologists corroborated and came up with an attack plan; one involving weeks of radiation and chemotherapy. It was Terry's only hope.

Talk with your brother, talk with his wife. With his doctors. Help him to see all options and risks going forward in treating his cancer.

Terry had two chemotherapy treatments a week apart. He experienced fatigue without any nausea. He was doing well at home. On Monday, after the second Friday chemo treatment, he had a massive stroke affecting his right side. He cannot eat, he cannot walk. Cognitively, he is fine. But the damage is great, the struggle is tremendous. His situation worse, he's been moved to rehab, but this will be a much longer, much harder battle. One, that for him, was complicated by the powerful chemotherapy needed. He's on morphine to control his back pain, and unable to swallow food.

We all respond differently to the protocols used treating terminal illness, and this is a risk with chemo, one that another friend's mother suffered as well while battling colon cancer. A risk that doctors sometime don't make us fully aware of.

Thaskalos is right "the will to live is so strong".

Tom is right too. "Make the most of the time you have left."

None of us want to leave here. None of us want to go quietly into the night.

"One day at a time" your brother said, "one day at a time." He's wise, and he has understanding, but please, help him to be aware of his risks. I've not told you any of this to freighten you. My intent is to help you, help him. You all will be in my prayers, along with my friend, Terry. It is devastating to realize what this disease can do to one's body before ever rearing its head with a single symptom.

Take care.

g

I will do so, and I appreciate the warnings everyone has given us so if anything goes south we are not blind sided by it.

He wants to try it, no changing that, all we can do is hope for a positive outcome.

I have not mentioned because it became sort of a side note in the drama of life, but My mother, 25 years ago won a fight with breast cancer, then a year ago they found the beginnings in her esophagus, not because of any symptoms but because for the last 25 years they have watched her closely, annually... They removed her esophagus, she lost most of her voice but came out of it 100% then 2 months ago they found the breast cancer again, this time they took her breast... again 100% healthy at 72.

She is going to have some chemo to make sure it is all gone on Monday but not the sorts Tim is having and with the stipulation that she can stop at any time within the 6 doses.

I am going with her and making them "EXPLAIN" why she is having to go through it now instead of waiting to see some sign they did not get it all.

It is all so confusing.

Grits
06-12-2010, 11:30 AM
You all have an awful lot on your plate, Doug. Still, its been my experience--this is when we do some of our best work.

Prayers for your mom too.

douglasw32
06-12-2010, 11:51 AM
You all have an awful lot on your plate, Doug. Still, its been my experience--this is when we do some of our best work.

Prayers for your mom too.

Yes we do, and Yes we do.

douglasw32
06-12-2010, 04:00 PM
I wanted to Thank Everyone here that has helped, Frist 48 hours... http://www.giveforward.org/timwood/

Over $ 1K

3 weeks to go... I will keep you all posted.

And from the Man himself on FaceBook..

DOUG, I'M JUST SITTING HERE THINKING ABOUT HOW MY FAMILY AND FRIENDS ARE BEING SO THOUGHTFUL. IT'S GREATLY APPRECIATED FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART. I'VE NEVER BEEN GOOD AT PUTTING MY FEELINGS INTO WORDS BUT I'LL TELL ALL OF YOU THIS. I'M NOT LEAVING THIS LIFE WITHOUT ONE HELL OF A FIGHT. GOD BLESS ALL OF YA'S.

Tim,

I take it you clicked on the link and saw how many have donated already. Tip of the iceberg , all bets are off when news like this is told. No rules for this sort of thing, so hang tough, fight it, go thru the hell you'll feel with chemo and with any luck it will stop it for some time.

No matter what everyone up here is going to be putting together a big effort on 4-11-2010

Money can't buy happiness or time, but it can damn sure make you not worry about one more thing.

joeyspicks
06-12-2010, 05:00 PM
I know first hand the devistation this disease has on families. I will keep you

and yours in my prayers. I know that Doctors are not always correct in

their assesments. I posted on this very board about my wifes battle

with breast cancer (many years ago) It has not ended. Keep hope....be

AWARE....be grateful for EVERY MOMENT and every day. The present

moment is all any of us has......but this disease will hit you upside the

head. I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN QUIETLY GRATEFUL FOR THE PRAYERS

AND PRIVATE SUPPORT THAT MEMBERS OF THIS BOARD HAVE GIVEN

ME. Dont tell me that horse players arent the BEST! Life is short...

we forget that. Tell the people around you that you love them....dont be

afraid....Man Im telling you that time is ALWAYS SHORT.

ANYWAY...GOD bless... I will make a donation...., I will remember you in my

prayers, and I thank all of you.

douglasw32
06-12-2010, 07:06 PM
I know first hand the devistation this disease has on families. I will keep you

and yours in my prayers. I know that Doctors are not always correct in

their assesments. I posted on this very board about my wifes battle

with breast cancer (many years ago) It has not ended. Keep hope....be

AWARE....be grateful for EVERY MOMENT and every day. The present

moment is all any of us has......but this disease will hit you upside the

head. I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN QUIETLY GRATEFUL FOR THE PRAYERS

AND PRIVATE SUPPORT THAT MEMBERS OF THIS BOARD HAVE GIVEN

ME. Dont tell me that horse players arent the BEST! Life is short...

we forget that. Tell the people around you that you love them....dont be

afraid....Man Im telling you that time is ALWAYS SHORT.

ANYWAY...GOD bless... I will make a donation...., I will remember you in my

prayers, and I thank all of you.

I hear you Joey !

douglasw32
06-12-2010, 07:08 PM
Dont tell me that horse players arent the BEST!

http://edbain.com

The link Below is for my Brother.

HELP FELLOW HORSE PLAYER TIM WOOD CLICK HERE (http://www.giveforward.org/timwood/)

Way to Go Ed and Susan...

buzzy
06-12-2010, 08:14 PM
lurker,

i saw this and gave what i could, this disease took away one of my parents when i was 9. it hits home for all of us...i hope all turns out well, good luck

douglasw32
06-12-2010, 09:37 PM
lurker,

i saw this and gave what i could, this disease took away one of my parents when i was 9. it hits home for all of us...i hope all turns out well, good luck

Thank you, this is all so kind of all of you.

It unfortunately will turn out, how it turns out.

All we can do is hope the scales tip in the longer than shorter.

douglasw32
06-13-2010, 12:09 AM
Well got Mom to see the light on the chemo and how it just does not make sense for her to have it as preventitive on a possibility after having the surgery.

She is rescheduling, asking for a consult and more details and to slow down on the rush to have it done.

douglasw32
06-13-2010, 03:12 PM
FYI:

Ed Bain and His wifes way of helping out-

HELP FELLOW HORSE PLAYER TIM WOOD CLICK HERE (http://www.giveforward.org/timwood/)

(Any one who helps support Tim is welcome to a free day of PPs. Simply send us a note -Click Here (edbain888@yahoo.com?subject=Hi%20Ed,%20I%20helped %20to%20support%20Tim%20Wood.%20Please%20set%20up% 20my%20free%20day%20to%20access%20the%20PPs%20on%2 0....))

Just let him know where your name is on the donor list.

mmdorn
06-13-2010, 04:45 PM
FYI:

Ed Bain and His wifes way of helping out-

(Any one who helps support Tim is welcome to a free day of PPs. Simply send us a note -Click Here (edbain888@yahoo.com?subject=Hi%20Ed,%20I%20helped %20to%20support%20Tim%20Wood.%20Please%20set%20up% 20my%20free%20day%20to%20access%20the%20PPs%20on%2 0....))

Just let him know where your name is on the donor list.

Hi Doug,

Helping Tim is a pleasure, payment for it is not necessary.

Mike

douglasw32
06-13-2010, 05:15 PM
I agree with that ;) for sure.

The thinking here (I am pretty sure) is if you come to his site to spend money on some PP info and would rather help out a fellow fan of the sport, he will give you what you were after anyway for free, and that is his way of contributing.

My younger Brother (a musician) just told me he would be coming from Virginia to play some music with some fellow band memebers from 20 years ago..

My older sister is organizing a bake sale (and most of our family memebers can bake) to run during the Local Benefit we are holding.

Others have money to give.

Everyone does what they can I have noticed, the most rewarding thing for me, my family..my wife, and my family..my mom and dad etc. Is seeing how total strangers here of someones plite and step forward to help just out of the goodness of people !

If anything all of this will be passed on to my own Kids ! ( 2 years old, 3, 8 and 10)

With everyone talking about it it is hard to keep it all filtered from them, my oldest daughter yesterday got all the way to the car after passing a local charity stand set up at a grocery store, took out the dollar she had been saving from the compartment in the back seat and said.. "can I go give this to those people who need help"

I swear I had to hold back tears. (of joy)

douglasw32
06-14-2010, 05:48 PM
Thanks shouldacoulda, got the snailmail very heartfelt.

shouldacoulda
06-14-2010, 08:09 PM
Anytime.

Grits
06-14-2010, 10:47 PM
Well got Mom to see the light on the chemo and how it just does not make sense for her to have it as preventitive on a possibility after having the surgery.

She is rescheduling, asking for a consult and more details and to slow down on the rush to have it done.

Doug, a consult, more details, even another opinion--all are always good things.

douglasw32
06-14-2010, 11:08 PM
Thanks

chickenhead
06-15-2010, 12:14 AM
recently learned an old friend of mine passed away two months ago. He had no family left, wasn't found for several days. No one to leave an obit. Quite sad to hear these things, wish I could have done something for him. I've made a small donation to your brother in memory of my friend James L. He had a rocky road, hope he found his peace.

douglasw32
06-15-2010, 06:54 PM
recently learned an old friend of mine passed away two months ago. He had no family left, wasn't found for several days. No one to leave an obit. Quite sad to hear these things, wish I could have done something for him. I've made a small donation to your brother in memory of my friend James L. He had a rocky road, hope he found his peace.

Sad story Thank you and your old friend.

CryingForTheHorses
06-23-2010, 06:06 PM
Doug I am not a gambler. I am a trainer.I admire guys like you who spend tireless hours in front of your computer looking at the horses and trying to figure out all the handicapping Ill bet you have the names of thousands of horses on the tip of your tomgue if Im understanding just what you do. This is a very gallant gesture on your part trying to help your brother in this great time of need.I have never lost a family member yet and Im sure the pain you are going thru is unbearable.I pray for him and I pray for you.I would like to make a donation in the name of the horses.Wishing the best for you and your family...God Bless you and God Bless The horses...ps...Please pm me your address...Tom

douglasw32
06-23-2010, 08:31 PM
Doug I am not a gambler. I am a trainer.I admire guys like you who spend tireless hours in front of your computer looking at the horses and trying to figure out all the handicapping Ill bet you have the names of thousands of horses on the tip of your tomgue if Im understanding just what you do. This is a very gallant gesture on your part trying to help your brother in this great time of need.I have never lost a family member yet and Im sure the pain you are going thru is unbearable.I pray for him and I pray for you.I would like to make a donation in the name of the horses.Wishing the best for you and your family...God Bless you and God Bless The horses...ps...Please pm me your address...Tom

Yes Tom you are correct, I think the ones I remeber most are the ones that have beat my looking at the computer.

I really think with the help of everyone we will get him home.
My computer business is holding a fund raiser this sunday for "Cash on hand" to get what we need food wise for the Benefit on jul 11th, and even without any of that with just what the online site has done , with the help from everyone here especially for kicking it off ! we could get him home now, just not easily.

worstcase scenario would be no one shows at all to the benefit (unlikely in our small town) and we do this the hard way.

We have to wait until Aug anyhow as he wants to finish out the chemo and see how that helps/hurts.

This will not be the first member of our family but still hurts all the same since it is so unfair.

My 2nd Daughter died 2 hours after birth, that was my family's first loss 5 years ago, now my Brother.

I think what gets to all of us is that it is all "out of order" but you can't handicap life, like a horse race the moment you think you have it figured out it humbles you.

Thank You for anything you can do, this forum letting me simply feel connected is help enough, for Tim, we can only do as much as we can.

only11
06-24-2010, 06:33 AM
I hear you Joey !
Today is a Gift....thats why they call it the PRESENT...!
My prayers are with your family.

Handiman
07-02-2010, 01:22 AM
Doug,

I turn 60 on Saturday, God willing and since you are a good friend and I have been so blessed, I want to give back. I just posted the following on my facebook page....

Milford Walton (http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=601001903) A friend of mine has a brother who is in terrible trouble...that trouble is 'Terminal Cancer'...they are trying to raise money to get him moved back home to his family before he dies. As a birthday wish I am wishing that you who read this could make a donation at the following link. Any amount will help.. http://www.giveforward.org/timwood/

http://external.ak.fbcdn.net/safe_image.php?d=36f58b79a60d45624a6e773462a7166c&w=90&h=90&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.giveforward.org%2Fthumb%2Fphp Thumb.php%3Fw%3D110%26zc%3D1%26src%3D%2Fuser_uploa ds%2Ftimwood%2F__939c3c77fc8dabd8fa238c7e6ea1983e. jpg (http://www.giveforward.org/timwood/)Donate to Tim Wood has terminal cancer now he needs hope on GiveForward.org — GiveForward.org - Fun (http://www.giveforward.org/timwood/)
www.giveforward.orgWe need to grant the wish our brother who was diagnosed with terminal cancer has of living his final days at home with his family.

2 seconds ago (http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=601001903&v=wall&story_fbid=132226353474692) · Comment · LikeUnlike · Share (http://www.facebook.com/ajax/share_dialog.php?s=99&appid=2309869772&p[]=601001903&p[]=132226353474692&parent_fbid=132226353474692&action_link=share)

God Bless your family!

douglasw32
07-03-2010, 01:10 PM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY !!!!!

And thank you so so very much for your concern and kind gestures =)

Handiman
07-04-2010, 07:54 PM
Thank you my friend. And God Bless!

douglasw32
07-04-2010, 09:10 PM
It means the world to me that all of you are here each day ...
He is doing fine, as fine as someone in his position can be....and we will be able to make this happen for sure at this point.

We are having a benefit on Sunday the 11th locally but even at this time with what we have we could do it. (Get them home)

Question now is just how easy it will be.

Thanks to all of you for the help and more so your support.

douglasw32
08-21-2010, 04:48 PM
I just wanted to once again thanks everyone and let you all know it is coming to a peaceful end very soon for my Older brother.

We have been asked to get to the hspital asap, so my Father,Mother, and Myself will be leaving at 5:30am tomorrow on a flight to Atlanta from Upstate NY.

I have never flown but will suck it up for this.

It went to his lungs.

Thanks to everyone or the flights would not be possible.

lsosa54
08-21-2010, 05:45 PM
Fly safely, Doug, I'm very sad to hear the news but at least you will be there with him.

Dave Schwartz
08-21-2010, 06:09 PM
Doug,

I am sorry for your impending loss and glad that you will have precious time together.

Praying for you...

Dave

Tom
08-21-2010, 07:53 PM
Sorry to hear the news, Doug. At least you can be with him.
My prayers to him and to your family.

michiken
08-21-2010, 08:26 PM
Doug,

As much as we try to help our beloved extend their lives, the greater plan takes over. As I watched my father die, I could only retain all the great memories we had together. I hope this time will generate just the great memories as you find the strength to continue.

All of my prayers are with you during this time.

Ken

Handiman
08-22-2010, 12:59 AM
I am so sorry you couldn't get him home. But I am equally happy that you and your family can get down to him! When all is said and done....family and friends are all we ever really have that means anything....especially true during our last days.

God Bless you all!

Your Buddy,

Roger
08-22-2010, 09:42 PM
God Bless you and your family during this difficult time.

Trotman
08-22-2010, 10:16 PM
Doug I too have gone through such a loss this year and it is not easy. Please send me a pm with your address to help ease your burden. Keep your chin up.

PaceAdvantage
08-23-2010, 02:03 PM
Very sorry to hear this news Doug. My prayers are with you and your family...God Bless....

lamboguy
08-23-2010, 02:10 PM
we are all very sorrowed. plenty of white light going out to your and your whole family

douglasw32
08-25-2010, 12:23 PM
5/5/1958- 8/25/2010 RIP Bro.

Dave Schwartz
08-25-2010, 12:32 PM
We all cared.

Doug, I am sorry for the huge loss you and your family are facing. Fifty-two is just such a short life.

With condolences,
Dave

mmdorn
08-25-2010, 12:36 PM
Doug,

I lost my Father in 1980, my Mother in 2001, and my Brother-In-Law last year. We never get over our losses, but some how we have to go on. May your Brother rest in peace. You and your family have my deepest sympathy.

Mike

PaceAdvantage
08-25-2010, 12:42 PM
I am so deeply sorry for your loss Doug.

RichieP
08-25-2010, 12:48 PM
My condolences to you and yours Doug.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQVz6vuNq7s

Partsnut
08-25-2010, 01:45 PM
Doug, it saddens me to hear that you and your family are suffering with the loss of you're brother and hopefully God will give you and yours the strength to overcome this loss.

You're a very giving person and I have always appreciated the good you've done, you're willingness to share and give enjoyment to so many of us.

I pray that God will grant you and you're family the serenity and stength that you so well deserve and need at this time.

Please let me extend my deepest sympathy to you and your family.

barshoe
08-25-2010, 01:45 PM
doug im sorry for your lost..lost my sister to cancer two years ago...peace

surfdog89
08-25-2010, 02:12 PM
Sorry for you lost......... prays to you and your family

Nets
08-25-2010, 02:19 PM
God bless you and yours Doug. Sincerest sympathy.

joeyspicks
08-25-2010, 03:36 PM
God bless,

my prayers are with you and your family

KyRacer
08-25-2010, 04:56 PM
Doug,

Sorry for the loss of your brother. You remain in our thoughts and prayers.

Grits
08-25-2010, 11:00 PM
Doug, I'm so sorry to learn about your brother's passing. The blessing though, if there can be one, is that he did not suffer for many months, for years, battling this dreaded disease. And too, he'll always be with you. Our memories bring us solace and joy; they never leave us.

Prayers for courage and grace to you and your family.

headhawg
08-26-2010, 12:07 AM
My deepest sympathy to you and your family, Doug. And may God bless.

newtothegame
08-26-2010, 12:20 AM
My sincerest and deepest thoughts to you and yours during this troubling time. My you find comfort in the memories and in the wishes of friends and family.
God Bless!!!

Wickel
08-26-2010, 12:44 AM
Thinking of you and your family during this difficult time. May God bless you all.

Jeff P
08-26-2010, 10:20 AM
Please accept my deepest heartfelt sympathies for your loss Doug. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family during this difficult time.

-jp

gl45
08-26-2010, 10:28 AM
My sincerest sympathy for your loss. God bless you

spicytomato
08-26-2010, 02:07 PM
Prayers go out to the family at this trying time. Peace be with you all.

Handiman
08-26-2010, 10:07 PM
Doug,

I can't imagine what it would be like losing a brother. May God Bless you and your family!

Handi

dirt
08-27-2010, 02:55 AM
Doug,

My condolences to you and your family may your brother R.I.P.

hcap
08-27-2010, 05:58 AM
Doug,

Sometimes things change in ways we don't fully understand.
I wish you the best.

Harry

Robert Goren
08-27-2010, 06:14 AM
I am deeply sorry for your loss.

dartman51
08-27-2010, 09:35 AM
Doug, my sincerest heartfelt sympathy for you and your family. Having lost 2 brothers myself, I know the pain you must be feeling. Seeking spiritual guidance was what got me through both. God bless you and your family.

Houndog
08-27-2010, 10:12 AM
Doug please accept my condolences on the loss of your brother.

Ted Craven
08-27-2010, 03:07 PM
Doug,

What a loss. I felt saddened today to check in and learn of your brother's untimely passing. My sincere condolences to you and to your family.

What a fragile and tenuous gift, life.

Ted

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7q-AuraKkE

Marshall Bennett
08-27-2010, 03:24 PM
I'm so very sorry for your loss and sincerely wish you the very best in such a difficult time .

castaway01
08-27-2010, 04:21 PM
Doug, I've never spoken to you on here before, so initially I wasn't planning on posting on this thread because I wanted to leave it to the guys who know you well. However, just this afternoon my dad got a cancer diagnosis, as a tumor on his tonsil is malignant (tests to see if the cancer has spread will be coming up soon, that's not known yet). That made me realize that support from anyone at a time like this would be a positive, and I want to express my sincere condolences to you and your family. I hope you are able to lean on your family and friends to get through this terrible time.

pat
08-27-2010, 07:45 PM
My prayers are with you and your family

Pat

douglasw32
08-27-2010, 09:44 PM
WOW, I have not been on for a while all of what I just read has made my day.

THANK YOU ALL from the bottom of my heart.

You folks are ALL the reason I come here all the time, and your kind donations made it possible for my parents to see there 1st son before his passing.

Good Job ! Your all winners.

Trotman
08-27-2010, 10:09 PM
Doug, sorry for your loss.The pain and suffering is over now for your brother as god has called him home.It is us left behind that have to heal, and heal in time we do. The dash in between birth and death tho small is our life and as small as that dash may be focus on it and reflect on the life of your brother and the warmth of reflection will bring peace to you and your family. Doug may the peace be with you and your family.

Zman179
08-29-2010, 01:22 PM
My sincerest condolances to you and your family.

keenang
08-29-2010, 08:06 PM
I am so sorry for your loss, maybe heaven needed another angel.
God Bless Geno

BIG HIT
08-30-2010, 11:53 AM
Sorry for your loss hope you and family.Have my prayer's and keep he at rest in better place.