PDA

View Full Version : Note To John "Donner Pass" Shireffs

Edward DeVere
06-09-2010, 11:34 PM
Dear John,

Zenyatta is currently west of the Rockies.

Rail Trip is currently west of the Rockies.

You can do this. It ain't rocket science.

letswastemoney
06-10-2010, 12:01 AM
It's not about Shirreffs and the Moss's not figuring it out. They very well know what they are doing.

Robert Goren
06-10-2010, 12:13 AM
Dear Jess

They fly planes over the Rockies these days.
You can do it.
These days even 80 yo ladies do it.
Prove for once for all that you aren't scared of flying.

Market Mover
06-10-2010, 12:15 AM
The goal has always been the BC. Winning the BC on dirt at CD is the only way to stamp her greatness and silence the critics once and for all. It is a very steep task.

Dahoss9698
06-10-2010, 12:26 AM
Dear Jess

You can do it.

I'm looking for an honest explanation here. How does it make any sense for them to do this?

OntheRail
06-10-2010, 01:02 AM
Dear Jess

You can do it.
Last year many kept saying Zenyatta did not have to leave Cali cause the BC was in her back yard. So what's her reason this year and why should Rachel ship to Cali using that same logic from last year? :p

Spalding No!
06-10-2010, 01:52 AM
Dear John,

Zenyatta is currently west of the Rockies.

Rail Trip is currently west of the Rockies.

You can do this. It ain't rocket science.

The problem is that Rail Trip is a tall mountain in and of himself.

Shirreffs was asked if there was any chance Zenyatta would run in the Hollywood Gold Cup against males. Shirreffs responded, "No. We're not looking to climb the highest mountain possible.

GaryG
06-10-2010, 07:00 AM
The timber gets a lot taller outside of California (except the redwoods), and Zenyatta might not have the saws. Woody Stephens used to say the buildings get mighty tall when you cross the Hudson River. Team Z had better stay out west where the tracks are plastic and competition is soft.

Pace Cap'n
06-10-2010, 07:20 AM
How long has Zenyatta been in continuous training?

Linny
06-10-2010, 09:45 AM
They lost HOY last year because they chose the uber consevative route, until the BCC which was quite frankly a weak field and they knew it.
This year, if QR sweeps the Whitney and Woodward (probably beating the Foster winner in one or both) and then heads to the BC, will the Moss's challenge him or go to the Distaff, assuming Z wins the Vanity and Lady's Secret? (I could sub in Rail Trip for QR, figuring him winning the Gold Cup, Pac Classic and Goodwood.)
If they choose the Distaff and win while QR wins the Classic they will have campaigned a 19 for 19 runner with a jillion dollars in earnings who never got HOY.
If they want HOY, they better step out of the box. This mare likes HOL better than Del Mar so the Gold Cup looks like a better chance for her than the Pacific Classic.

breezing
06-10-2010, 10:05 AM
How long has Zenyatta been in continuous training?
she's had official workouts since 2-28-09, she had no offiial workouts after the BCC but we know she was still jogging and started up again on 12-07-09. so maybe 3 weeks off in 16 months?

carlonr
06-10-2010, 10:48 AM
The last time I checked, is was possible to fly a horse from EAST to WEST! If anyone thinks they can beat Zenyatta, then simply fly to California and do it. Why do we not hear of any TRAINERS even hinting that they have a horse that can beat Zenyatta anywhere. They Rachaelites (and now the Quality road fans) say so, but where are TRAINERS that think they even have a chance against her.

OntheRail
06-10-2010, 12:07 PM
The last time I checked, is was possible to fly a horse from EAST to WEST! If anyone thinks they can beat Zenyatta, then simply fly to California and do it. Why do we not hear of any TRAINERS even hinting that they have a horse that can beat Zenyatta anywhere. They Rachaelites (and now the Quality road fans) say so, but where are TRAINERS that think they even have a chance against her.

If Cali was still dirt I'm sure this would happen allot... but because most of the major tracks in east are dirt. The thought of flying into a unknown surface just does not seem appealing to many. If they wish to run on a new surface that plays like plastic they'll just run them on turf and save the shipping cost. And with Cali being so GREEN would it not be more ecologically sound to ship one horse east instead of 10 west. :lol:

WinterTriangle
06-10-2010, 02:46 PM
so maybe 3 weeks off in 16 months?

Sounds like Zenyatta might need some time off. By the end of this year she'll be almost 7 years of age.

I hope we see some of the younger females take on the BC this year.

Robert Goren
06-10-2010, 02:59 PM
I'm looking for an honest explanation here. How does it make any sense for them to do this?Z is still unbeaten , RA has lost to tomato cans. She ran from Z when Z was in arkansas( they even moved the date for her). If she want prove she the top fillie she must beat Z. Either Jess knows she not a top fillie anymore or he goes after Z. Beating any body on the east coast proves nothing at this point. Otherwise she just a washed up has been and any who says different is just plain not looking at the facts.

letswastemoney
06-10-2010, 03:05 PM
It would be nice if Zenyatta ran in a race where Quality Road was eligible to be entered...then you might have a point

letswastemoney
06-10-2010, 03:06 PM
Zenyatta is the best synthetic horse of all time. It's difficult to beat her on her preferred surface.

Bring her out east to Belmont or Churchill against horses who love dirt, and it will be a different story.

andymays
06-10-2010, 03:09 PM
It would be nice if Zenyatta ran in a race where Quality Road was eligible to be entered...then you might have a point

Quality Road vs. Zenyatta won't happen in California -

http://blog.timesunion.com/horseracing/quality-road-vs-zenyatta-wont-happen-in-california/4632/

Excerpt:

Zenyatta’s people want to run against Quality Road before the Breeders’ Cup in the fall (and I hope they do) they better make plans to go to Saratoga.

“Our plan is to go the Whitney and Woodward (at Saratoga),” Pletcher said, sort of issuing the challenge. “We won’t go to California, I can promise you that.”

Hedevar
06-10-2010, 03:14 PM
Zenyatta is the best synthetic horse of all time. It's difficult to beat her on her preferred surface.

Bring her out east to Belmont or Churchill against horses who love dirt, and it will be a different story.

Hard to disagree, but it really isn't a long history.

letswastemoney
06-10-2010, 03:16 PM
Well then, the Zenyatta team knows their plan and should go to Saratoga. There's no secret to where Quality Road is being pointed towards, and the QR races are all open company.

Hopefully the Mr. and Mrs. Moss can think about this

http://www.freefoto.com/images/901/02/901_02_8700---Two-Chickens_web.jpg

andymays
06-10-2010, 03:22 PM
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2010-03-13/sports/ct-spt-0314-horse-zenyatta-rachel-alexand20100313_1_shirreffs-rachel-alexandra-breeders-cup-classic

Excerpt:

"Zenyatta came back so we could have some fun with her and other fans could see her," Shirreffs said. "That was the whole thing."

http://www.drf.com/news/article/110161.html

Excerpt:

"I would say we're probably going to travel a bit," Moss said. "I'd like to see her run in some dirt races."

Robert Goren
06-10-2010, 03:23 PM
Quality Road vs. Zenyatta won't happen in California -

http://blog.timesunion.com/horseracing/quality-road-vs-zenyatta-wont-happen-in-california/4632/

Excerpt:

Zenyatta’s people want to run against Quality Road before the Breeders’ Cup in the fall (and I hope they do) they better make plans to go to Saratoga.

“Our plan is to go the Whitney and Woodward (at Saratoga),” Pletcher said, sort of issuing the challenge. “We won’t go to California, I can promise you that.”That tells me a ton about Pletcher and what kind of a chance he thinks QR has against Z. Stay east a beat a bunch of tomato cans instead of going after the unbeaten mare.

Robert Goren
06-10-2010, 03:38 PM
Well then, the Zenyatta team knows their plan and should go to Saratoga. There's no secret to where Quality Road is being pointed towards, and the QR races are all open company.

http://www.freefoto.com/images/901/02/901_02_8700---Two-Chickens_web.jpgWhy should she come east, nobody will run against her if she does. That was already proved in Arkansas. You RA fans need to get over it. The people who own the horses want no part of Z and prove it every time she runs.

andymays
06-10-2010, 03:39 PM
Why should she come east, nobody will run against her if she does. That was already proved in Arkansas. You RA fans need to get over it. The people who own the horses want no part of Z and prove it every time she runs.

She should come east because the connections said that's why they brought her back.

Bringing her back for 2010 doesn't make sense any other way. There is something that isn't quite right about this story and I expect something to break in the next few days.

ArlJim78
06-10-2010, 03:57 PM
She should come east because the connections said that's why they brought her back.

Bringing her back for 2010 doesn't make sense any other way. There is something that isn't quite right about this story and I expect something to break in the next few days.
Is there really a quote from them where they say they brought her back to run out east? I find that hard to believe.

andymays
06-10-2010, 03:59 PM
Is there really a quote from them where they say they brought her back to run out east? I find that hard to believe.

Post #21 has some of their comments. There are others.

Nikki1997
06-10-2010, 03:59 PM

They said they would travel and do different things with her, but they NEVER specifically said they brought her back to run out east .

No .

andymays
06-10-2010, 04:00 PM
They said they would travel and do different things with her, but they NEVER specifically said they brought her back to run out east .

No .

Right so unless they're gonna run at Santa Rosa or Ferndale or Fairplex they have to go east. ;)

Headbanger
06-10-2010, 04:04 PM

No .

You can't really be that naive can you? Well, maybe you and the other Zenyattaturds are. I didn't realize travel means in a 30 minute radius between Hollywood and Santa Anita. Duh, what the heck do you think travel means...Oy vey with all you.

GaryG
06-10-2010, 04:08 PM
That tells me a ton about Pletcher and what kind of a chance he thinks QR has against Z. Stay east a beat a bunch of tomato cans instead of going after the unbeaten mare.You're blaming Pletcher because he won't ship to CA and run QR on a surface he does not handle well? The colt has his schedule mapped out and that is that. The tomato cans do not reside at Saratoga.

ArlJim78
06-10-2010, 04:12 PM
Post #21 has some of their comments. There are others.
Those quotes say that they wanted other fans to see her and that they would travel A BIT. It doesn't say we're going to tour the dirt tracks of the country.

The goal is the defending the classic. That is a the big one on dirt. They also did the Apple Blossom in late spring. It's seems that many on here think that the way to bring a horse up to the classic is to send her across country once a month, or to continously run each race in the toughest possible spots. Nobody does that, not any of them.

andymays
06-10-2010, 04:15 PM
Those quotes say that they wanted other fans to see her and that they would travel A BIT. It doesn't say we're going to tour the dirt tracks of the country.

The goal is the defending the classic. That is a the big one on dirt. They also did the Apple Blossom in late spring. It's seems that many on here think that the way to bring a horse up to the classic is to send her across country once a month, or to continously run each race in the toughest possible spots. Nobody does that, not any of them.

You might be right but I'm not the only one shaking my head at these moves.

This is on the equidaily site right now.

www.equidaily.com

From the "Uh, or not..." Dept:
>>> March 2010: Trainer, "Zenyatta came back so we could have some fun with her and other fans could see her. That was the whole thing."
>>> Jan 2010: Owner, "I would say we're probably going to travel a bit. I'd like to see her run in some dirt races."
Uh, or not...
>>> After trying for a 3-peat in Hollywood's G1 $250K Vanity Hcp, Zenyatta likely to try for a 3-peat in Del Mar's G1 $300K Clement Hirsch

Nikki1997
06-10-2010, 04:19 PM
You can't really be that naive can you? Well, maybe you and the other Zenyattaturds are. I didn't realize travel means in a 30 minute radius between Hollywood and Santa Anita. Duh, what the heck do you think travel means...Oy vey with all you.

I see you are using words with bodily function references--ALERT !!!

Never did I say travel equates to commutes intra state .

I ONLY consider east traditionally as east coast, and if the BC is east to you she goes .

Where you come up with this twaddle can only be a function of bodily parts mal-functioning .

You really can't be that pedantic, can you ???

andtheyreoff
06-10-2010, 04:42 PM
That tells me a ton about Pletcher and what kind of a chance he thinks QR has against Z. Stay east a beat a bunch of tomato cans instead of going after the unbeaten mare.

See, it's kind of hard for QR to go after Zenyatta when she's running against females all the time...

Dahoss9698
06-10-2010, 05:25 PM
Z is still unbeaten , RA has lost to tomato cans. She ran from Z when Z was in arkansas( they even moved the date for her). If she want prove she the top fillie she must beat Z. Either Jess knows she not a top fillie anymore or he goes after Z. Beating any body on the east coast proves nothing at this point. Otherwise she just a washed up has been and any who says different is just plain not looking at the facts.

First off, congrats on probably your dumbest post yet. No easy feat considering your body of work.

So let me get this straight. Jess is supposed to ship, to run on a surface that no one wants to run on. But beating horses in the East proves nothing?

What exactly is Zenyatta proving by running in the same races, against the same horses year after year?

Headbanger
06-10-2010, 09:07 PM
First off, congrats on probably your dumbest post yet. No easy feat considering your body of work.

So let me get this straight. Jess is supposed to ship, to run on a surface that no one wants to run on. But beating horses in the East proves nothing?

What exactly is Zenyatta proving by running in the same races, against the same horses year after year?

Sharp Post...but right up there with this was requesting the document about the slots revenue for NYRA.

Robert Goren
06-10-2010, 09:37 PM

What exactly is Zenyatta proving by running in the same races, against the same horses year after year? She doesn't have anything left to prove. It is RA that has something to prove. That is that is she is a great horse by actually putting two great years together back to back. The only people who are saying Z has something to prove are RA fans who can't come to grip with the fact that she is shadow of her former self and have continued to knock Z in the hope that will some how make RA look better. You are pretty sad. The simple fact there is nobody on the east coast that is worth beating with the possible exception of Quality Road. If some track wants to see them race then they can come up some cash. Highly unlikely since the east coast would rather spend their money on state bred races. The only hope anyone has of beating Z is in the Breeders Cup if CD comes up muddy.

kenwoodall2
06-10-2010, 09:43 PM

http://www.freefoto.com/images/901/02/901_02_8700---Two-Chickens_web.jpg
2 Chickens? RA AND Z! How appropriate!!LOL!!
I remember they made a movie about 2 other chickens- one was Seabiscuit!

Dahoss9698
06-10-2010, 09:51 PM
She doesn't have anything left to prove. It is RA that has something to prove. That is that is she is a great horse by actually putting two great years together back to back. The only people who are saying Z has something to prove are RA fans who can't come to grip with the fact that she is shadow of her former self and have continued to knock Z in the hope that will some how make RA look better. You are pretty sad. The simple fact there is nobody on the east coast that is worth beating with the possible exception of Quality Road. If some track wants to see them race then they can come up some cash. Highly unlikely since the east coast would rather spend their money on state bred races. The only hope anyone has of beating Z is in the Breeders Cup if CD comes up muddy.

I might have spoke too soon. This is a doozy as well. There is no one on the east coast to beat? Blame and Battle Plan seem like pretty nice horses.

Who is there to beat on the west coast? Rail Trip, but Team Zenyatta is too afraid to run against him. Do you actually follow the game at all?

PaceAdvantage
06-11-2010, 12:22 AM
She doesn't have anything left to prove. It is RA that has something to prove. That is that is she is a great horse by actually putting two great years together back to back. The only people who are saying Z has something to prove are RA fans who can't come to grip with the fact that she is shadow of her former self and have continued to knock Z in the hope that will some how make RA look better. You are pretty sad. The simple fact there is nobody on the east coast that is worth beating with the possible exception of Quality Road. If some track wants to see them race then they can come up some cash. Highly unlikely since the east coast would rather spend their money on state bred races. The only hope anyone has of beating Z is in the Breeders Cup if CD comes up muddy.What was Z's Beyer again in the Apple Blossom? Was it a 94 or a 98? I think it was a 94...how sad...

I don't care if you think Beyer figures suck big time, or that Zenyatta was simply jogging...94 isn't going to beat anybody on the dirt...and if Rachel was in that Apple Blossom, I dare say she would have given Zenyatta a fit, EVEN IF Mike Smith was asking for tons more...

We knock Z because there is lots to knock. It has nothing to do with "making Rachel look better."

Quality Road isn't in the Stephen Foster. Look at the Stephen Foster field. That's a pretty nice field assembled for that race. You still think there isn't anyone worth beating in the Stephen Foster? Come on man...get real...

cj
06-11-2010, 12:24 AM
Quality Road isn't in the Stephen Foster. Look at the Stephen Foster field. That's a pretty nice field assembled for that race. You still think there isn't anyone worth beating in the Stephen Foster? Come on man...get real...

I think I've bet on Zenyatta once, first Apple Blossom, and against her twice, BC Classic and one other time. If she were in the Foster, I'd be all in against her.

WinterTriangle
06-11-2010, 06:08 AM
Zenyatta came back from Oaklawn dehydrated. Those who follow her closely as fans have noticed she doesn't seem to be quite back to her old self yet.

So, knowing this, you would turn around and ship her again, a 6 year old, when she hasn't even fully recuperated?

I realize that some of the gladiators here think it's more important to win an award or run a race even if you have to gut your horse to do it.

Sheriff's says, the horse is more important than any race. (Some find this admirable....I know I'd give him my horse.)

Horses recuperate from whatever they do differently, and need to be allowed to do so. RA is having trouble getting back to fitness; Zen is having trouble after shipping.

So NEITHER should be running in the Stephen Foster this weekend. If you can't see this, then you really don't give a shite about the horses themselves at all.....just the ego part of arguing.

cj
06-11-2010, 11:16 AM
Zenyatta came back from Oaklawn dehydrated. Those who follow her closely as fans have noticed she doesn't seem to be quite back to her old self yet.

And yet, she is entered to run on Sunday. Doesn't that contradict your point? Either he doesn't do what is best for the horse, or she is her old self. It would seem one of those has to be true.

Dahoss9698
06-11-2010, 11:44 AM
I'd like to know how those who follow her closely as fans know she isn't back to her old self. How are her fans determining that?

comet52
06-11-2010, 12:01 PM
I'd like to know how so many people here know Shireff's mind on the subject inside and out. They know him better than he knows himself it seems, and have uncovered all his cowardice and lack of guts and so forth because he doesn't do what they think he ought to do.

I find that whole mindset just.. weird.

andymays
06-11-2010, 12:06 PM
I'd like to know how so many people here know Shireff's mind on the subject inside and out. They know him better than he knows himself it seems, and have uncovered all his cowardice and lack of guts and so forth because he doesn't do what they think he ought to do.

I find that whole mindset just.. weird.

Shirreffs is one of the good guys in racing and so are the connections.

Horseplayers and Fans are taking issue with the conservative approach to 2010. You have to remember the whole reason for bringing her back was to put on a show and race against the best.

It is true that she may go in the Classic this year and shut everyone up but so far this campaign is a major dissapointment.

They have a right to do whatever they want with Zenyatta but people with opinions have a right to scrutinize their decisions. That's kind of what we do here.

comet52
06-11-2010, 01:59 PM
Shirreffs is one of the good guys in racing and so are the connections.

Horseplayers and Fans are taking issue with the conservative approach to 2010. You have to remember the whole reason for bringing her back was to put on a show and race against the best.

It is true that she may go in the Classic this year and shut everyone up but so far this campaign is a major dissapointment.

They have a right to do whatever they want with Zenyatta but people with opinions have a right to scrutinize their decisions. That's kind of what we do here.

What we do here is say things we would never say face to face, because internet anonymity makes bullies of cowards:

"Prove for once for all that you aren't scared of flying."
"Team Z had better stay out west where the tracks are plastic and competition is soft."
"You can't really be that naive can you? Well, maybe you and the other Zenyattaturds are."

Seriously, if I was Shireffs readings this thread, what would I say to myself? Oh I know, there will be posters here with more insults any minute now to answer that. Bullies and internet tough guys.

Shireffs can run the horse where he wants, when he wants, for the fans she's run for in the past. He doesn't owe anyone anything, including shipping for a race if he doesn't think it makes sense. That doesn't make him or anyone connected with Zenyatta scared, reliant on plastic, or a "turd".

andymays
06-11-2010, 02:06 PM
What we do here is say things we would never say face to face, because internet anonymity makes bullies of cowards:

"Team Z had better stay out west where the tracks are plastic and competition is soft."
"You can't really be that naive can you? Well, maybe you and the other Zenyattaturds are."

Seriously, if I was Shireffs readings this thread, what would I say to myself? Oh I know, there will be posters here with more insults any minute now to answer that. Bullies and internet tough guys.

Shireffs can run the horse where he wants, when he wants, for the fans she's run for in the past. He doesn't owe anyone anything, including shipping for a race if he doesn't think it makes sense. That doesn't make him or anyone connected with Zenyatta scared, reliant on plastic, or a "turd".

What the hell are you talking about? Pull your head out buddy. You're assigning quotes to me that I didn't make. Get your story straight and get back to me.

As far as bullies and internet tough guys go I think you're making a good case for yourself being one. Take a look in a mirror.

PaceAdvantage
06-11-2010, 10:36 PM

Shireffs can run the horse where he wants, when he wants, for the fans she's run for in the past. He doesn't owe anyone anything, including shipping for a race if he doesn't think it makes sense. That doesn't make him or anyone connected with Zenyatta scared, reliant on plastic, or a "turd".One of the more useless posts made in the last 24-48 hours.

This guy wants all sports fans to shut up and not have opinions anymore...unless of course we're willing to walk up to that 350lb lineman and tell him he sucks to his face, we're not allowed to have opinions on sporting events, and that includes horse racing, according to Mr. Comet52.

Makes sense...not...

born2ride
06-11-2010, 11:28 PM

So, knowing this, you would turn around and ship her again, a 6 year old, when she hasn't even fully recuperated?

I realize that some of the gladiators here think it's more important to win an award or run a race even if you have to gut your horse to do it.

Sheriff's says, the horse is more important than any race. (Some find this admirable....I know I'd give him my horse.)

Horses recuperate from whatever they do differently, and need to be allowed to do so. RA is having trouble getting back to fitness; Zen is having trouble after shipping.

So NEITHER should be running in the Stephen Foster this weekend. If you can't see this, then you really don't give a shite about the horses themselves at all.....just the ego part of arguing.

If Zen has such trouble recovering from shipping, doesn't it makes more sense to van to KY rather than ship her all the way back to California? Why not just ship from AR to KY and run in the Foster? Oh wait... that'd be facing males on dirt which is something she's never done before though she has nothing left to prove. I think I get it. :confused: She also could've run in the FdL and face RA. Though that would be facing a quality female on dirt, guess we don't have to go there as she has nothing left to prove. ;) Instead they have to ship Zen all the way back to California knowing she doesn't recover from shipping well only to run her on a track her connections have already said she doesn't like (Del Mar). So running against females on on a track she detests makes more sense than running on a surface claimed to be her favorite. And all in the interest of doing what is best for the horse. That's one convoluted argument, but hey if you get it good for you. I think to the majority of us it makes no sense.

WinterTriangle
06-12-2010, 01:54 AM
And yet, she is entered to run on Sunday. Doesn't that contradict your point?

How so. She is racing, not shipping cross country.

I specifically asked you if you would turn around and SHIP HER again, and you haven't answered me yet.

WinterTriangle
06-12-2010, 02:01 AM
If Zen has such trouble recovering from shipping, doesn't it makes more sense to van to KY rather than ship her all the way back to California?

Did you read this after you posted it?

Sherriffs: "My crystal ball tells me that Zen will get dehyrdrated by shipping back to her home in CA, so we should just ship her to KY instead."

:D

WinterTriangle
06-12-2010, 02:18 AM
She also could've run in the FdL and face RA.

You can't be serious.

Even the most rabid Zenyatta hater would have a field day with this one.

born2ride
06-12-2010, 03:05 AM
Did you read this after you posted it?

Sherriffs: "My crystal ball tells me that Zen will get dehyrdrated by shipping back to her home in CA, so we should just ship her to KY instead."

:D

Zen's camp knows she doesn't ship well, they stated this before. Yet they say they'll ship her more this year then they turn around and make an excuse about not being able to ship her because she doesn't ship well. If she doesn't ship well then why the hell would Zen's camp say they wanted to ship her more this more?

cj
06-12-2010, 09:26 AM
Zen's camp knows she doesn't ship well, they stated this before. Yet they say they'll ship her more this year then they turn around and make an excuse about not being able to ship her because she doesn't ship well. If she doesn't ship well then why the hell would Zen's camp say they wanted to ship her more this more?

How do we know she doesn't ship well? Because they say so? It is hard to take the camp at their word, it hasn't been very reliable.

Spalding No!
06-12-2010, 10:27 AM
How do we know she doesn't ship well? Because they say so? It is hard to take the camp at their word, it hasn't been very reliable.

I'm pretty sure she doesn't ship well because Jerry Moss says she does.

From a January article in the Blood-Horse announcing Zenyatta's return to racing:

Asked if Zenyatta would run in the Breeders’ Cup Classic again, Moss answered, “We would love her to run in the Breeders’ Cup certainly because we believe in the Breeders’ Cup. I believe we’d like to travel (with her). She travels really well.”

Or maybe he was talking about his wife.

OntheRail
06-12-2010, 10:36 AM
You can't be serious.

Even the most rabid Zenyatta hater would have a field day with this one.
Now I'm not a "Rabid" Zenyatta Hater she is a very very fine mare. But why... it's on dirt in the East and has Rachel running in it. What is to biatch about. Could of been the first of the three race show down that was talked about. ;)

comet52
06-12-2010, 10:48 AM
I didn't assign them to you, I cited them as examples of what's wrong with this thread.

I don't think asking people to be civil and respectful makes me an internet tough guy. Why Shireffs needs to be run down in this forum and why that makes for a worthwhile discussion is beyond me.

What the hell are you talking about? Pull your head out buddy. You're assigning quotes to me that I didn't make. Get your story straight and get back to me.

As far as bullies and internet tough guys go I think you're making a good case for yourself being one. Take a look in a mirror.

comet52
06-12-2010, 10:49 AM
I would like a little civility, class and intelligence, but if the moderator himself is here bashing me for asking for those things, well, I should probably not hope for much.

One of the more useless posts made in the last 24-48 hours.

This guy wants all sports fans to shut up and not have opinions anymore...unless of course we're willing to walk up to that 350lb lineman and tell him he sucks to his face, we're not allowed to have opinions on sporting events, and that includes horse racing, according to Mr. Comet52.

Makes sense...not...

Spalding No!
06-12-2010, 11:00 AM
I would like a little civility, class and intelligence, but if the moderator himself is here bashing me for asking for those things, well, I should probably not hope for much.

He also doesn't like any attempts at humor.

We're all martyrs here, just like John Shirreffs.

PaceAdvantage
06-13-2010, 03:14 AM
I would like a little civility, class and intelligence, but if the moderator himself is here bashing me for asking for those things, well, I should probably not hope for much.That's ok. Like I told another recently, you're free to post elsewhere. It's a big Internet...

Most others agree this is a fine place to discuss racing. If it weren't, I would have been gone a long time ago...but year 11 is right around the corner...

WinterTriangle
06-13-2010, 05:22 AM
I don't think asking people to be civil and respectful makes me an internet tough guy.

No.....it just makes you a gentleman. ;)

why that makes for a worthwhile discussion is beyond me.

Name-calling and ad hominem attacks don't fall under the category of respectful discussion.

In an environment of respect, it isn't worthwhile. But this is just an internet forum.

Why Shireffs needs to be run down in this forum

Some are still mad about the $$ they lost on the KY Derby when Giacomo won at 50-1. and Moss won that KY Derby on his first try??? :D Success and happiness generates jealousy, and now they are doing it with Zenyatta.

Every horseman and fan I've ever met who knows John Sheriffs say he is a great guy and super nice person. The respect they show their team propagates to how they treat their horses. (but this is just another one of those "respectful environment" concept that don't play well with some here. :D

5k-claim
06-13-2010, 09:57 AM
.... I don't think asking people to be civil and respectful makes me an internet tough guy. Why Shireffs needs to be run down in this forum and why that makes for a worthwhile discussion is beyond me.

Hi comet52,

Such is the internet. One of the regulars can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the "civil and respectful" arm of this group is the H.A.N.A. thread (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=61), and officially at their blog (http://blog.horseplayersassociation.org/).

I like their blog, and I wish them well as they work to improve the game by representing handicappers and gamblers in a worthwhile way.

Other threads are just for venting, I suppose. Would someone wishing to be taken seriously as representing horseplayers walk up to Sheriffs in front of a group of people and say "You and the owners are cowards, your horse is slow and is lucky to only ever face tomato cans on a fake surface, and her fans are a bunch of turds!"

I sure hope not.

I guess you just have to recognize what kind of thread you have wandered into. This is the internet, after all. The title of this one gave a pretty strong clue.

PaceAdvantage
06-14-2010, 02:24 AM
Some are still mad about the $$ they lost on the KY Derby when Giacomo won at 50-1. and Moss won that KY Derby on his first try??? :D Success and happiness generates jealousy, and now they are doing it with Zenyatta.Absolute nonsense. If this were true, then there is no way the "Zenyatta bashers" could be fans of Rachel Alexandra.

Why? Well, for starters, we'd be too busy obsessing on our jealousy over the tremendous success of trainer Steve Asmussen.

Then of course there is that filthy rich bastard Jess Jackson...buying his way to the top like that with the likes of Curlin and now RA...how could we ever dream of supporting such a villain!! We're supposedly still jealous of some freak of a Kentucky Derby winner from five years ago!

Do you honestly believe what you just wrote?

carlonr
06-14-2010, 03:16 AM
Where are the trainers comments that say there is a horse (their horse or another trainer's horse) that can beat Zenyatta?

PaceAdvantage
06-14-2010, 03:28 AM
Where are the trainers comments that say there is a horse (their horse or another trainer's horse) that can beat Zenyatta?Trainers say their horses are going to win all the time, yet they most often are proven wrong once they reach the finish line. I don't put stock in their thoughts then, why would I (or you) put stock in what they have to say (or not say as the case may be) when it comes to Zenyatta?

Trainers have been proven to be some of the worst handicappers around.

WinterTriangle
06-14-2010, 04:21 AM
Do you honestly believe what you just wrote?

The poster asked for an explanation of the John Sheriffs bashing on this forum.

I admit that I didn't have a clear answer for him. Maybe somebody else does? I'm sure they will have to go at least as far afield as I did.

FWIW, I have no problem with Asmussen, never have. I probably think more highly of him than JJ does. :D

comet52
06-14-2010, 05:30 AM
A great win today for a great horse. That's my last word on the subject.

miesque1127
06-14-2010, 05:58 AM
Winning the BC on dirt at CD is the only way to stamp her greatness.

Uh, no.

She's already great.