PDA

View Full Version : Santa Anita Adds New Wrinkle to Oak Tree Mess

andymays
06-09-2010, 05:35 PM
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/57434/santa-anita-adds-new-wrinkle-to-oak-tree-mess

Excerpt:

The chief executive of the company that now owns Santa Anita said that it would be impossible to allow Oak Tree to operate its annual autumn meet at the Arcadia, Calif., track if California horsemen want to see a new racing surface installed there in time for the 2010-11 winter/spring meet.

Excerpt:

"The biggest challenge that exists in California is the racing surface (at Santa Anita). That is something that we are pre-occupying our minds with more than anything right now," Mills said by phone from Toronto. "Assuming Mr. Stronach has a successful meeting with the California racing board, we are going to need unfettered access to that facility from now until the time Santa Anita opens in December."

At the root of the track surface issue is a proposal for making Santa Anita the permanent host of the Breeders' Cup, Mills said. He cited a letter from Greg Avioli, Breeders' Cup president and CEO, to Oak Tree, which held successful events in 2008 and 2009 for the two-day racing festival.

"One of the key factors cited in the letter ... was that Breeders' Cup wanted a tested surface (for 2011) and not the one that exists there right now," Mills said. "In order to accomplish that, to have a tested surface -- we would have to clean it out (the current Pro-Ride surface), implement it, and test it. We would need September, October, November, and right into December, when our meet begins."

andymays
06-09-2010, 05:38 PM
FFFFRRRRRAAAAAAAAAANNNNKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!

You're just too much. :D :lol:

Xanax for everyone in California. :D :lol:

Deepsix
06-09-2010, 05:42 PM
Same 'ol faces, same 'ol wrinkles.

Thanks for the reminder, though. <bliss>

andymays
06-09-2010, 05:58 PM
What are the odds that someone comes out tomorrow and disputes what Mills is saying? 1-5? ;)

kenwoodall2
06-09-2010, 07:28 PM
Trash Oak Tree, no winter meet, just so FS can have the BC to guarantee 2 days without going bust!

andymays
06-10-2010, 09:43 AM
http://www.paulickreport.com/blog/mid-says-need-for-new-track-surface-part-of-reason-for-no-oak-tree-meet/

Excerpt comment from Barry Irwin under Paulick Article:

1. Barry Irwin Says:
June 10th, 2010 at 8:43 am

I made a decision last week not to send any more horses to California until they restore dirt racing to the circuit. Team Valor has a couple of horses left out West, but some of these will be coming East or sold.

If I were Frank Stronach (and although my hair is getting pretty white, I still don’t look that much like him in the mirror just yet), I would make the State of California pay for removal of the “mandated” synthetic surface and replacement with a dirt surface.

Bettors and trainers don’t like racing on that crap they have had out there. In private, the vast majority of horsemen will tell you they don’t mind training on synthetics, but very few like racing on it. And most of the ones that say they do like it are under pressure from owners that want that type of surface.
California has enough problems without synthetic tracks. When you add that crapola into the mix, it makes it a non-starter for me.

Listen to the bettors. Listen to the trainers. Get rid of the man-made crap and bring back the dirt.

http://www.paulickreport.com/blog/mid-says-need-for-new-track-surface-part-of-reason-for-no-oak-tree-meet/
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Way to go Barry. Tellin it like it is. :ThmbUp:

Roy C
06-10-2010, 10:38 AM
When was the last time Team Valor had a decent horse out west? 70's? 80's?

andymays
06-10-2010, 10:57 AM

Gitano Hernando was the most recent horse with some quality that I know of.

Synthetic quality that is. ;)

There are quite a few owners like Barry Irwin who refuse to come out here because of the surface and all the other problems. When you combine that with all the ones leaving you have a big problem.

Wickel
06-10-2010, 11:31 AM

Didn't Team Valor own King of the Roxy, who was a decent sprinter and sort of gave them a bit of a thrill early on in the Derby preps. Can't remember what year he ran in, but it couldn't be more than three-four years ago.

rwwupl
06-10-2010, 12:36 PM

Excerpt comment from Barry Irwin under Paulick Article:

1. Barry Irwin Says:
June 10th, 2010 at 8:43 am

I made a decision last week not to send any more horses to California until they restore dirt racing to the circuit. Team Valor has a couple of horses left out West, but some of these will be coming East or sold.

If I were Frank Stronach (and although my hair is getting pretty white, I still don’t look that much like him in the mirror just yet), I would make the State of California pay for removal of the “mandated” synthetic surface and replacement with a dirt surface.

Bettors and trainers don’t like racing on that crap they have had out there. In private, the vast majority of horsemen will tell you they don’t mind training on synthetics, but very few like racing on it. And most of the ones that say they do like it are under pressure from owners that want that type of surface.
California has enough problems without synthetic tracks. When you add that crapola into the mix, it makes it a non-starter for me.

Listen to the bettors. Listen to the trainers. Get rid of the man-made crap and bring back the dirt.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Way to go Barry. Tellin it like it is. :ThmbUp:

Barry Irwin is not all bad...Bring back the dirt. :ThmbUp:

andymays
06-10-2010, 03:35 PM
BREEDERS CUP TO ANNOUNCE CHURCHILL AS 2011 HOST

http://www.paulickreport.com/blog/breeders-cup-to-announce-churchill-as-2011-host/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keep screwing around Frank.

The museum and petting zoo are looking more and more likely with each passing day.

andymays
06-10-2010, 05:50 PM
Timing key for Santa Anita track
http://www.drf.com/news/article/113778.html

Excerpt:

He said no decisions have been made on the type of a new surface but that the issue has been discussed with the California Thoroughbred Trainers and will be part of company chairman Frank Stronach's much-anticipated presentation to the California Horse Racing Board at its monthly meeting at Hollywood Park on June 22.

"We haven't made any decision," Mills said. "We are examining the possibilities with the CTT for various surfaces. Should we come to a decision, this will tie with Mr. Stronach's presentation to the CHRB on June 22."