PDA

View Full Version : Who should be blamed for the Gulf Oil Spill?

andtheyreoff
06-09-2010, 04:16 PM
Just want to see what exactly people think.

Tape Reader
06-09-2010, 05:55 PM
No choice for Bush?

andymays
06-09-2010, 06:34 PM
The jackasses that didn't follow specifications and procedures and the jackasses that didn't properly inspect the stuff the first jackasses did and the jackasses that made them move the rigs to deep water.

jackasses aplenty to go around.

Now we have the jackasses that are going around lying about what they're doing when they're doing nothing.

OTM Al
06-09-2010, 06:50 PM
The jackasses that didn't follow specifications and procedures and the jackasses that didn't properly inspect the stuff the first jackasses did and the jackasses that made them move the rigs to deep water.

jackasses aplenty to go around.

Now we have the jackasses that are going around lying about what they're doing when they're doing nothing.

But what do you think about BP, President Obama and Congress?

andymays
06-09-2010, 06:57 PM
But what do you think about BP, President Obama and Congress?

All incompetent and useless. And then some...... :ThmbDown:

They have oversight on all this crap.

WeirdWilly
06-09-2010, 08:13 PM
I think it was the Germans with their glockenspiels and their lederhosen and their sauerbraten.

We need to keep a close eye on them. Whatever you do, though, don't mention the war!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6669914129956242491#

(OK, for real though, it was anyone at BP and/or on the platform who ignored the obvious dangers and tried to drill deepwater on the cheap)

Tom
06-09-2010, 10:26 PM
BP submitted a contingency plan that was obviously bogus, and the government signed off on it.
We need to thoroughly investigate not only this incident, but a random sampling of other plans signed of by whoever did this one.

We have a systemic failure that may be harboring future disasters in other areas.

Our government totally dropped the ball and continues to fumble around for it.

chickenhead
06-09-2010, 10:44 PM
French assassins, hired by the Chicago Mafia, under direction of the CIA.

Tom
06-09-2010, 11:14 PM
French assassins, hired by the Chicago Mafia, under direction of the CIA.

Oh, ACORN!

bigmack
06-09-2010, 11:23 PM
Happenstance.

The best laid plans of mice and men often go astray no matter the amount of planning or regulation.

We get so high & mighty as humans thinking everything we do should be fail-safe. Call me a realist. Shit can still happen.

Robert Goren
06-09-2010, 11:28 PM
BP submitted a contingency plan that was obviously bogus, and the government signed off on it.
We need to thoroughly investigate not only this incident, but a random sampling of other plans signed of by whoever did this one.

We have a systemic failure that may be harboring future disasters in other areas.

Our government totally dropped the ball and continues to fumble around for it. A random sample is good place to start, but sooner or later we should look at them all. BP said it was safe, other oil companies said it was safe, the government bureaucrats said it was safe, the politicians said it was safe. The only people said it wasn't safe was the tree huggers. As much as we don't want to, we might have to pay little more attention to the people who got it right rather listening to the people who got it wrong.

Robert Goren
06-09-2010, 11:35 PM
Happenstance.

The best laid plans of mice and men often go astray no matter the amount of planning or regulation.

We get so high & mighty as humans thinking everything we do should be fail-safe. Call me a realist. Shit can still happen.I once heard a saying, I don't remember where right now. "If you wouldn't sleep under the outhouse, you wouldn't get shit on so much" I could never understand why anybody would sleep under the outhouse, but I see the point.

bigmack
06-09-2010, 11:51 PM
The only people said it wasn't safe was the tree huggers. As much as we don't want to, we might have to pay little more attention to the people who got it right rather listening to the people who got it wrong.
You mean the people that never say anything is safe waiting for any accident to happen to step forward and say - TOLD YA SO!

Scrutinize every screw, every screwdriver, every pump, every employee, every blueprint, every CEO, every GMan regulator, every farkin' thing - Guess what?

There will still be accidents. Wa-Wa-Waaaaaaaaaa.

okBj_wxgqqY

Robert Goren
06-10-2010, 12:25 AM
You mean the people that never say anything is safe waiting for any accident to happen to step forward and say - TOLD YA SO!

Scrutinize every screw, every screwdriver, every pump, every employee, every blueprint, every CEO, every GMan regulator, every farkin' thing - Guess what?

There will still be accidents. Wa-Wa-Waaaaaaaaaa.
You are right, there will still be accidents only a lot less of them.

HUSKER55
06-10-2010, 12:28 AM
The part I don't get is the way the cap was set on the well. Where were the safty valves? Considering the potential hazards wouldn't a valve under the cap been prudent?

The recovery operation was and is a joke.

If BO and his cabinet had a clue they would start a rigorous inspection af all other platforms before we have another accident.

Think about this guys. I can outsmart this which means the odds are that you can too.

What does that tell you about our current state of affairs and the ability of our elected officials to deal with it.

Bitch all you want but Sarah could have out smarted this and there is no way she would have done worse.

We are in deep trouble guys and gals.

bigmack
06-10-2010, 12:29 AM
You are right, there will still be accidents only a lot less of them.
How can you be so sure? When will we be safe?

I NEED to know that we'll be safe and our ecosystems will be safe. I MUST know.

IS IT SAFE?

http://steelturman.typepad.com/thesteeldeal/images/2007/04/25/marathon_man_laurence_olivier_denti.jpg

Tom
06-10-2010, 07:42 AM
Well, for starters, had BP actually DONE the things they put in their constingency plan, this may have been a whole lot less than it is today.
Just because we can never be 100% sure is not excuse to stop doing everything and roll the dice. BP lied through their teeth on thier plan it was rubber stamped by government flunkies. They continue to lie daily and we should just accept this as shit happens?

ddog
06-10-2010, 12:33 PM
No, we have to accept the risk because we need the oil.

No, we SHOULD accept the risk as 1 out of 3000 or so accidents, while nasty , MUST be acceptable odds.

Simply, gvt can regulate/inspect until the end of time, accidents are going to happen.

Now, when they do happen should fault be penalized where SHOWN to be based AFTER A cool and calm set of investigations, hell yes, should the liability be down to the personal employee and/or gvt official level, hell yes.

You know, it's funny how you don't seem to hear the howls about liability/tort reform in this situation. Funny how when the caps are placed at absurdly low levels , that MAYBE the incentive to avoid damages slips just a bit.

AND, the lack of a "plan" for this type of deal is a joke.

Everyone knew there was no response other than relief wells if it came to this.

You can require all sorts of extra resources sitting around idle waiting for the next big oil event , but all the "gvt/regs evil crowd" would have never stood for gvt raising the cost of oil to the public. Never would have passed.

LottaKash
06-10-2010, 01:07 PM
Here is a link that might further anyone's interest in, the "Death of the Gulf"...

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/06/12/plans-to-clean-up-the-oil-spill--dolphins-with-mops-aquaman-or-blame-the-french.aspx

best,

andtheyreoff
06-10-2010, 06:09 PM
7 votes for NYRA. Has Moyers Pond been reinstated?

Valuist
06-10-2010, 09:00 PM
Anadarko should also be involved as they have a 75% ownership position in the now exploded rig. APC and RIG (Transocean)'s stock has taken a worse hit than BP (up to this point).

I think Transocean will be absolved of any wrongdoing.

ceejay
06-11-2010, 02:12 PM
Anadarko should also be involved as they have a 75% ownership position in the now exploded rig.
I believe that Anadarko's interest is closer to 25%. Their stock price has been significantly hit. I am not sure (not a lawyer and have not reviewed the joint operating agreement) but I would think that as a non-operator they would be subject to clean up and remediation costs but not punitive damages or fines. I would be surprised if Anadarko even had a representative on location.