PDA

View Full Version : Any World Cup fans?

andicap
06-09-2010, 04:25 AM
Good site for info: http://www.worldcupblog.org/

I will have the privilege to watch this year's World Cup from a bona fide British pub in the West Country. I have never felt compelled to Tweet or Twit or Toot but it might be fun to do so watching USA=England this Saturday amidst the rowdy, but good-natured, mob at the local. I just have to figure out how to do so from my three year-old, half-busted Windows Mobile V 6 phone. (I got a good deal, OK?)

While we are not as talented as the Brits, they are not playing all that well going into the tournament. USA has the element of surprise and the advantage of lacking the pressure the Brits do to win. A draw would give me bragging rights for sure and almost guarantee graduation to the 2nd round. But I will not bet with my heart and have only placed a few beer wagers on the contest.

USA has some scoring punch with Landon Donovan and Clint Dempsey and a world-class goalkeeper in Tim Howard, but our defense is highly suspect. One of our starting backs rarely plays for one of the worst teams in the English Premier League. (I should know: That's my team, West Ham, who just escaped relegation to the next division this past season).

As for predicting an overall winner, I had thought a few months ago England had a decent shot but injuries and lackluster play have dulled my optimism (How great would it be for England to win while I'm here. Party time, Blighty-style!).

I hate to go with chalk but I will bet on Brazil and back it up on a dark horse gettings to the semi-finals, perhaps Chile or Portugal. Brazil is relatively healthy at a time when the long season has worn down many players and, unlike most other countries, their stars largely stay at home for their club schedule. Spain is a threat but usually finds a way to lose in the Cup. The Dutch are my second choice to take it all.

The African teams, who have the huge home court advantage (stats show teams playing on their own continent outperform their real chances) are riddled with injuries to key players.

It will especially interesting to see how South Africa performs because few, if any home squads have failed to make it to the second round. But SA has a poor team and will have to beat Mexico this weekend to progress. Nigeria, Ivory Coast and Ghana -- all talented squads -- have lost their top stars. That's a break for teams like South Korea, Greece, Serbia and Portugal. That leaves Cameroon, in a tough draw with the Netherlands and Denmark.

Of the top seeded teams, France and Argentina are the most vulnerable. The French have played poorly in their warm-ups and Argentina's manager, Diego Maradona, has not proved adept behind the bench so far. But his talent is among the most talented and can't be counted out.

Also, if you're betting on the early matches, be forewarned Italy uses gets off to a poor start before the Azzurri finds its game and advancing deep into the bracket.

The worst teams appear to be New Zealand, Australia, Algeria and Honduras. The biggest mystery surrounds North Korea, not expected to be competitive in their first World Cup but given their secrecy no one knows for sure how good or bad they are.

Some solid first-round matches this weekend that could go a long way toward deciding who advances. South Korea-Greece; South Africa-Mexico, Serbia-Ghana. A very good sked on Monday where we get an initial line on the Dutch against a tough Denmark team and Italy vs. Paraguay, a hard-scrapping, well-coached squad that stands an excellent chance of advancing.

The World Cup is the most popular sporting event on the globe, even if it has yet to permeate the provincial membrane known as the American pop culture. The pageantry, the enthusiasm of the crowds, the drama and the standard of play make for top-notch entertainment, even if you're not a soccer fan.

And if the Arizona Cardinals can make it to the Super Bowl, then the USA can certainty go far in the tournament.

AZWrobel
06-09-2010, 07:34 AM

I will have the privilege to watch this year's World Cup from a bona fide British pub in the West Country. I have never felt compelled to Tweet or Twit or Toot but it might be fun to do so watching USA=England this Saturday amidst the rowdy, but good-natured, mob at the local. I just have to figure out how to do so from my three year-old, half-busted Windows Mobile V 6 phone. (I got a good deal, OK?)

While we are not as talented as the Brits, they are not playing all that well going into the tournament. USA has the element of surprise and the advantage of lacking the pressure the Brits do to win. A draw would give me bragging rights for sure and almost guarantee graduation to the 2nd round. But I will not bet with my heart and have only placed a few beer wagers on the contest.

USA has some scoring punch with Landon Donovan and Clint Dempsey and a world-class goalkeeper in Tim Howard, but our defense is highly suspect. One of our starting backs rarely plays for one of the worst teams in the English Premier League. (I should know: That's my team, West Ham, who just escaped relegation to the next division this past season).

As for predicting an overall winner, I had thought a few months ago England had a decent shot but injuries and lackluster play have dulled my optimism (How great would it be for England to win while I'm here. Party time, Blighty-style!).

I hate to go with chalk but I will bet on Brazil and back it up on a dark horse gettings to the semi-finals, perhaps Chile or Portugal. Brazil is relatively healthy at a time when the long season has worn down many players and, unlike most other countries, their stars largely stay at home for their club schedule. Spain is a threat but usually finds a way to lose in the Cup. The Dutch are my second choice to take it all.

The African teams, who have the huge home court advantage (stats show teams playing on their own continent outperform their real chances) are riddled with injuries to key players.

It will especially interesting to see how South Africa performs because few, if any home squads have failed to make it to the second round. But SA has a poor team and will have to beat Mexico this weekend to progress. Nigeria, Ivory Coast and Ghana -- all talented squads -- have lost their top stars. That's a break for teams like South Korea, Greece, Serbia and Portugal. That leaves Cameroon, in a tough draw with the Netherlands and Denmark.

Of the top seeded teams, France and Argentina are the most vulnerable. The French have played poorly in their warm-ups and Argentina's manager, Diego Maradona, has not proved adept behind the bench so far. But his talent is among the most talented and can't be counted out.

Also, if you're betting on the early matches, be forewarned Italy uses gets off to a poor start before the Azzurri finds its game and advancing deep into the bracket.

The worst teams appear to be New Zealand, Australia, Algeria and Honduras. The biggest mystery surrounds North Korea, not expected to be competitive in their first World Cup but given their secrecy no one knows for sure how good or bad they are.

Some solid first-round matches this weekend that could go a long way toward deciding who advances. South Korea-Greece; South Africa-Mexico, Serbia-Ghana. A very good sked on Monday where we get an initial line on the Dutch against a tough Denmark team and Italy vs. Paraguay, a hard-scrapping, well-coached squad that stands an excellent chance of advancing.

The World Cup is the most popular sporting event on the globe, even if it has yet to permeate the provincial membrane known as the American pop culture. The pageantry, the enthusiasm of the crowds, the drama and the standard of play make for top-notch entertainment, even if you're not a soccer fan.

And if the Arizona Cardinals can make it to the Super Bowl, then the USA can certainty go far in the tournament.

Sharp post andicap! I'm in agreement with just about every point you hit on. I love some of the early matchups especially the USA/England matchup. You hit on some key points regarding the US shaky defense, and England sort of stumbling into the W.C. It will be interesting to see how that matchup pans out.
One team that I wouldnt rule out and could be a potential dark horse is Serbia. They dont play a pretty game but have a solid and experienced group of guys who are capable of taking this team into the next round. Germany will probably win their group, and if they do finish second they could get a draw with England in the second round. Should be fun to watch!

cj's dad
06-09-2010, 07:34 AM
Andy, you are in for a treat. When in London 4 years ago (not @ World Cup time) I watched several matches on the "telly" at the Carpenters Arms pub near the Marble Arch. I don't remember who the lads were cheering for; I think there were mixed loyalties as this was in London and the crowd was from "all over".

It was however a blast watching their intensity. Surpasses, I believe, the level of fervor we have for our football. Often, the scoring chances are infrequent and so when their is one, the need to capitalize is great.

Have fun and sit near the loo, so if the U.S. scores, you can hide there 'til the anger subsides. raise a pint for me - Joseph Smith if you would !!

BTW- still a shame that Ireland didn't make the cup - robbed by Henry' !!
Damn French cheaters.

slewis
06-09-2010, 10:04 AM
Good post Andi...

I've been to England several times when working with numerous Brits in the banking industry and the sheer pence thought of a USA win over the Mother ship in a World Cup in our lifetime was to them, laughable.

About a year ago I would have said that thinking was in big trouble as our squad was healthy and kicking butt in internationals... But now we are banged up...especially on D.

Look for Peter Crouch to have a field day in the box against us..(Did you see the game vs Czec Rep?...)and not that Crouch is any bargain, but his height and game I think play right into our biggest weakness. As for England..the rest of the Lion squad isn't all that Lion-like..plus they are WEAK in Goal.

I cannot believe how deep Spain is but I still like Argentina.

CANT WAIT!!!:jump:

andicap
06-09-2010, 10:59 AM
Sharp post andicap! I'm in agreement with just about every point you hit on. I love some of the early matchups especially the USA/England matchup. You hit on some key points regarding the US shaky defense, and England sort of stumbling into the W.C. It will be interesting to see how that matchup pans out.
One team that I wouldnt rule out and could be a potential dark horse is Serbia. They dont play a pretty game but have a solid and experienced group of guys who are capable of taking this team into the next round. Germany will probably win their group, and if they do finish second they could get a draw with England in the second round. Should be fun to watch!

I'm with you 100% on Serbia, especially since they're in the Group with Ghana which lost its top playmaker, Michael Essien. BTW, if the U.S. makes it to the next round, I believe they play Germany. Even without Michael Ballack, they will be tough. Ballack's best years are behind him (He's 33), but is the heart and soul of the German team.

andicap
06-09-2010, 11:13 AM
Good post Andi...

I've been to England several times when working with numerous Brits in the banking industry and the sheer pence thought of a USA win over the Mother ship in a World Cup in our lifetime was to them, laughable.

About a year ago I would have said that thinking was in big trouble as our squad was healthy and kicking butt in internationals... But now we are banged up...especially on D.

Look for Peter Crouch to have a field day in the box against us..(Did you see the game vs Czec Rep?...)and not that Crouch is any bargain, but his height and game I think play right into our biggest weakness. As for England..the rest of the Lion squad isn't all that Lion-like..plus they are WEAK in Goal.

I have to respectfully disagree with you on the UK goalkeepers. They look pretty deep with Robert Green (of my West Ham Irons) starting, veteran David James behind him and the uber-talented but very green Joe Hart who has the potential of becoming one of the best goalkeepers in the past 20 years..

But that's a quibble. Overall, I agree that the UK defense is looking sickly: Their best defender, Man United's Rio Ferdinand, is out and there are a lot of questions back there. Glen Johnson can score but is a weak defender. Jaime Carragher was in poor form this season (as they put it here) and is getting long in the tooth. Capello, who all of a sudden doesn't look like the genius the press branded him six months ago, doesn't have many options in his back four.

The USA -England game sets up as a potentially entertaining, wide-open, high-scoring affair -- except that managers like to play it very conservatively in the World Cup. After all, one mistake could cost you the whole shebang.

I can't wait. :jump:

slewis
06-09-2010, 11:27 AM
I dont think Robert Green is better than the top 3 (maybe even top 5) USA goaltenders, so he might not make the US squad if he were a Yank.

And David James..ouch....get the geritol out...lol.

Only kidding, Green is a fine goaltender (but he really might not make the USA team, although we have so many top Goaltenders here in the states) ....James is over the hill, way over.

:jump:

Space Monkey
06-09-2010, 05:33 PM
I root for the US and England second. Unfortunately both squads are in trouble for this WC. When Landon Donovan is considered one of our top players, we are in trouble. Its apparent after his latest try at Everton, that he is just not tough enough to be a premier world player. We are good in goal, and we have Clint Dempsey, but not much else. I expect the US to advance out of the first round, but thats it. I've been an EPL fan since the early 80's. This team is like so many others. Talented strikers and an excellent midfield, only to be betrayed by a suspect defense and below average goalkeeping. David James was awesome. Key word WAS. He's past his prime now and won't make a difference. Ferdinand's injury killed any hope the Brits had of making it to the final.

Argentina is loaded. When Milito is a sub, you have a strong squad!!

Rookies
06-09-2010, 08:27 PM
I don'f follow soccer much, but do watch the World Cup- akin to tagging Gol when the Masters or Opens are on.

Insider says: Take Argentina to win it all. Normally, it is the host continent that excels regardless of the relative strenghth of some of the teams. In this case, a wee wager on the Argentines might do.

And, assuming the Yankees are the dog in the match, I might take them v.s. the Kingdom of UK.

AZWrobel
06-10-2010, 01:58 AM
I'm with you 100% on Serbia, especially since they're in the Group with Ghana which lost its top playmaker, Michael Essien. BTW, if the U.S. makes it to the next round, I believe they play Germany. Even without Michael Ballack, they will be tough. Ballack's best years are behind him (He's 33), but is the heart and soul of the German team.

Germany would be a brutal opponent for the US. Like you said, Ballack's best years are behind him and they have the depth to make up for him. They are strong defensively and have some speedy guys up front that would give the US fits. I think germany goes deep again and I wouldn't be shocked to see them in the semi's or finals.

andicap
06-10-2010, 05:12 PM
The other things to remember about the tournament: A great performance in the qualifying rounds does not necessarily lead to similar form in the World Cup.

And the pre-Cup "friendlies" are about as good a predictor as baseball's Grapefruit League games.

Ocala Mike
06-10-2010, 10:01 PM
I don't follow soccer (football), but I'm mildly interested in Saturday's match, USA v. England.

Seems to me that this is a rubber game of sorts; we won the Revolutionary War, and they tied it up with the BP oil spill, now this.

:)

Ocala Mike

bisket
06-11-2010, 08:35 PM
soccer has come a long way from having to watch the cup on pbs. i think the britts are gonna clean our clock, but i'll be rooting for the home team. european soccer is much more physical than american soccer. i just think european teams just beat us black and blue in addition to beating us on the score board. soccer players are by far the best athletes

nearco
06-11-2010, 09:58 PM

The biggest mystery surrounds North Korea, not expected to be competitive in their first World Cup but given their secrecy no one knows for sure how good or bad they are.

Nice post, but one point of correction.
This will be N. Korea's second WC. They famously went as far as the quarter finals in England in 1966, knocking out the favoured Italians on the way, and were leading Portugal 3-0 in the QF at Goodison Park until the great Eusebio practically carried the Portuguese team on his back and went on a four goal rampage with the Portugal going on to win 5-3 in an absolute cracking match.

There was a great documentary that came out a couple of years ago about the surviving members of that N. Korean team, called The Game of Their Lives (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0354594/) ... worth watching if you ever come across it.

PhantomOnTour
06-12-2010, 10:02 AM
With all the attention on Messi I believe it is Carlos Tevez who will steal the spotlight for Argentina this World Cup....unless ofcourse our favorite Diego Armando Maraloco does something totally crazy (again).

andicap
06-12-2010, 10:06 AM
Nice post, but one point of correction.
This will be N. Korea's second WC. They famously went as far as the quarter finals in England in 1966, knocking out the favoured Italians on the way, and were leading Portugal 3-0 in the QF at Goodison Park until the great Eusebio practically carried the Portuguese team on his back and went on a four goal rampage with the Portugal going on to win 5-3 in an absolute cracking match.

There was a great documentary that came out a couple of years ago about the surviving members of that N. Korean team, called The Game of Their Lives (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0354594/) ... worth watching if you ever come across it.

I stand corrected. Sounds like a great show -- i'll search for it online.

horses4courses
06-12-2010, 10:27 AM
With all the attention on Messi I believe it is Carlos Tevez who will steal the spotlight for Argentina this World Cup....unless ofcourse our favorite Diego Armando Maraloco does something totally crazy (again).

I agree that Maradona is questionable leading this talented squad.
I'm not sure that when the competition gets tougher, he will make the right decisions in deploying his troops.
Maradona was a great player.
He is untested when it comes to managing a team.

nearco
06-12-2010, 03:18 PM
I have to respectfully disagree with you on the UK goalkeepers. They look pretty deep with Robert Green (of my West Ham Irons) starting, veteran David James behind him and the uber-talented but very green Joe Hart who has the potential of becoming one of the best goalkeepers in the past 20 years..

Ummmm.....

At least he is holding up a long tradition of English goalie howlers.... Seaman, James, Robinson... now Green.
Must be something in the water.

bisket
06-12-2010, 05:10 PM
woooohoooo!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUEOq4cPsiI
USA!!! USA!!!!! USA!!!!

Space Monkey
06-12-2010, 05:36 PM
I'm trying to figure out if we are better than I thought or England is worse than I imagined. I disagree with the talking heads on how Green's blunder will never be forgotten,,etc, etc. England will go through. James will probably be in goal (if hes fit). Green's crossing of his hands as he went down for the save will be forgotten in WC lore, but the video will serve as a standard for all youth league coaches on how not to play goal.

I thought Fabio's substitution of Carragher was a blunder of almost equal proportion. The 9 million $ coach will skate on this one, but Altidore beat Carragher and the only reason the US didn't win 2-1 was a friendly post off of Green's deflection of Jozy's shot. Carragher was also beaten by Findley, and was very lucky not to be called for a foul in dangerous territory. The head on replay clearly shows the slow footed defender taking all body, arm across Findley's chest with no attempt at ball. A horrible non call.

Jay Demerit gets my vote for "Man of the Match" for taking Rooney right out of this game.

Rookies
06-12-2010, 06:21 PM
England was much the best in this match with several direct on blasts that the U.S. goalie turned away. He came to play after the early unsettling goal.

However, the U.S. clearly could have won it, with the late nifty footwork of Altidore, who was very unlucky off the post as Space Monkey mentioned.

And Rooney was almost completely neutralized after some early work.

Are either of these teams very good ? Let's see more of the first round to get the score.

p.s. Argentina got the first of their two necessary Ws... some I'm happy.

horses4courses
06-12-2010, 06:22 PM
It's just the beginning, though.

The real business starts when they face the supposedly weaker Slovenian and Algerian sides. With a bit of luck, those two teams may tie tomorrow.
Then a win and a tie should see the US advance in the group.
Lots of possibilities still, however.

As far as England's performance? Mediocre, I would say.
They, very often, have a squad of strong players who can't gel as a team.

Back in the day, the English had a wealth of goalkeeping talent.
Gordon Banks and Peter Shilton were two of the best ever.
Things are different now, obviously, in that department.
Had Tim Howard been in goal for England today, they would have 3 points.
Thank goodness he wasn't......... ;)

slewis
06-12-2010, 06:39 PM
Well I'm not gonna brag "Monday morning Striker" (like the play on American footy?.....lol) but the WEAK England goaltending bit them in the crumpets...

Since I was at Belmont I couldn't watch the entire game carefully, but I'll watch it tonight on DVR.

All that said, Capello made, in my humble, a bigger blunder by not bringing Crouch in sooner. The US back line was exhausted and fortunate not to get burned on several crosses (low and high) earlier in the match...I think if Crouch comes in around the 60th minute, with Wright-Phillips EFFECTIVELY forcing the play on the US defense (which he did as he had them constantly backing up protecting against his pace) , England could have found the right cross and won this game.

So goat # 1...in my opinion, is not GREEN...it's Fabio...Nevertheless both these teams, also in my opinion, are not in the top 5. I also think Hesky is a very weak link on this England squad.

After seeing Argentina today I still think they can win this all...providing Veron can keep pace, He has a key role but showed his age in the later stage of the match before being substituted for Maxi.... Tevez was great and if teams keep giving Messi chances like today...he wont be missing in the future...

FUN STUFF!:jump:

bisket
06-13-2010, 01:34 PM
i think the usa defense is allowing to much open space in the box. england had entirely to many overlapping runs inside the box without a defender neutralizing them. i think individually the usa played excellent defense, but the team defense is lacking. they really miss eddie pope in the middle taking charge. someone other than the goalie needs to get the other players in the right spot. one thing i was very happy to see from the usa is they finally have a few players that can throw some weight around: dempsey, altidore, and onyewu. i think in the past this is what has hurt usa in world cup matches against european teams. i just remember how germany bullying usa all around the field in past world cups, and i was afraid this would be the case with england. i think how many goals we score against algeria will determine whether we make it to the next round. if we plan to really make some noise in this world cup we need to play better team defense.

PhantomOnTour
06-13-2010, 03:55 PM
Do not mess with Das Boot!!

Germans up 3-0....the uber foot.

Make that 4-0.

Rookies
06-14-2010, 06:36 PM
One of the very cool things about a large, cosmopolitan city like Toronto is that when planet wide events like the World Cup come along- TO is ready, willing and able to accomodate. And I mean, there are bars with music, indigenous food, dancing and a wee bit of alcohol :lol: that is shared among the revellers for EVERY country in the tourney! As it winds down and some of the larger ethnic cultures are left, literally whole city blocks are shut down for the game for several hours.

It has become simply, an accepted part of the broader culture and most importantly, there is very, very little violence often associated with the sport in Europe and other places.

I think the Italo-Canadians (Toronto, I believe, being the 3rd. largest city of persons of Italian ethnic origin in the world after Rome & Milan) started the tradition many Cups ago.

This year, I've never seen so many vehicles with English flags hanging from their windows, a common World Cup touch.

'Natch, I don't have one of those...;)

See: http://www.worldcupintoronto.com/

horses4courses
06-14-2010, 06:46 PM
One of the very cool things about a large, cosmopolitan city like Toronto is that when planet wide events like the World Cup come along- TO is ready, willing and able to accomodate. And I mean, there are bars with music, indigenous food, dancing and a wee bit of alcohol :lol: that is shared among the revellers for EVERY country in the tourney! As it winds down and some of the larger ethnic cultures are left, literally whole city blocks are shut down for the game for several hours.

It has become simply, an accepted part of the broader culture and most importantly, there is very, very little violence often associated with the sport in Europe and other places.

I think the Italo-Canadians (Toronto, I believe, being the 3rd. largest city of persons of Italian ethnic origin in the world after Rome & Milan) started the tradition many Cups ago.

This year, I've never seen so many vehicles with English flags hanging from their windows, a common World Cup touch.

Good to hear everyone has a great time in Toronto during WC. :ThmbUp:

I have to ask you, though, why hasn't Canada ever had a team in the tournament? Or, am I wrong on that one?
I can't recall a Canadian team ever in the finals, at least since 1966.

Jay Trotter
06-14-2010, 09:18 PM
Canada qualified for the World Cup in 1986 hosted by Mexico!

Why we don't qualify more -- everyone is out playin' hockey I guess! :faint:

Good to hear everyone has a great time in Toronto during WC. :ThmbUp:

I have to ask you, though, why hasn't Canada ever had a team in the tournament? Or, am I wrong on that one?
I can't recall a Canadian team ever in the finals, at least since 1966.

horses4courses
06-14-2010, 09:42 PM
Canada qualified for the World Cup in 1986 hosted by Mexico!

Why we don't qualify more -- everyone is out playin' hockey I guess! :faint:

Gotcha.... ;)

bisket
06-14-2010, 10:06 PM

this sounds like the neighborhood where i was raised. every different european nationality was represented, and soccer was always an important part of our daily life. the soccer game between our neighborhood high schools would attract 500-1000 fans. we were very proud the 2 years i played varsity that we beat our rival school. our community college and club teams were always the best in the country. this was a big part of my life growing up. my grandfather gave me medals from his club teams victories, and inspired me to love and play the game throughout my childhood. world cupm is always my most favorite sporting events.

Rookies
06-14-2010, 10:35 PM
Gotcha.... ;)

I think that's correct. Short of saying : " WE SUCK AT IT", this thought is juxtaposed against soccer being perhaps the fastest growing sport in Canada for kids. And, it appeals to all of the minority cultures here; moreso than Hockey and is far, far cheaper to have your kid play. Your kid going through elite Hockey can easily cost you $5k per annum!

Is it the weather ? Maybe. If you can't play 10-12 months of the year, you're behind the 8 ball v.s. other continents. And, you don't advance therefore to the elite Euro leagues to hone your skills with the best.

That 1986 World Cup, Canada didn't score one goal and was beaten 1-0 by France, 2-0 by the Soviets & Hungary.:ThmbDown:

Rookies
06-16-2010, 06:41 PM
NO story here & NADA wrong !

http://g.ca.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/world-cup/blog/dirty-tackle/post/Organizers-of-Dutch-mini-dress-model-scheme-arre?urn=sow,248867

Carry on... :lol:

horses4courses
06-16-2010, 07:10 PM
NO story here & NADA wrong !

http://g.ca.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/world-cup/blog/dirty-tackle/post/Organizers-of-Dutch-mini-dress-model-scheme-arre?urn=sow,248867

Carry on... :lol:

I think this has the makings of a GREAT STORY!!!!

Depending on the fines/penalties for these people, I'm thinking they just made one HUGE SCORE!!!!!

They got worldwide publicity for probably next to nothing.
Arresting them only helped them out.

They will sell out of those dresses in no time...... :lol:

Space Monkey
06-16-2010, 07:15 PM
my grandfather gave me medals from his club teams victories, and inspired me to love and play the game throughout my childhood. world cupm is always my most favorite sporting events.

I never knew that about you biskit. I don't remember you getting into the soccer discussions on the other board. I coached for 13 years and refereed for 8. I had competitive teams and when we ventured south for tournaments, MD, and VA teams were always kickin ass.

bisket
06-16-2010, 07:25 PM
baltimore always has had the best club teams. when i was young, soccer was bigger than football in these parts. after the kids are through with college, and i'm not working my arse off to pay for it, refereeing and umpiring are in the cards for da bisket.

Space Monkey
06-17-2010, 03:33 PM
Well umpiring will be OK I'm sure, but you better stay in shape if you intend to ref :lol: High School games were the best. We used a 2man system and the pay was great. The kids were on their best behavior, not like club soccer.

I was 51 when I moved to FL. I started refereeing and it just wasn't any fun anymore. It was cutthroat for assignments, like having a middle taken away from you at the field so a buddy could get it, etc. I also noticed the air was thicker down here. I never had a problem running the field up north, but I struggled in the tropic heat.

bisket
06-17-2010, 04:31 PM
you have to be in shape to do the work i do. thats not a problem. mexico 2-0 over france. who figgered dat? the game is on 9:30 am tomorrow. i'll have to tapet it, and watch later.

bisket
06-17-2010, 04:34 PM
its on espn classic tomorrow evening at 8pm

Space Monkey
06-17-2010, 05:29 PM
Wife took the day off to watch it. Wish I could do that. :(

Space Monkey
06-17-2010, 05:32 PM
The warning signs were there for France, but 0-2 and a quick trip home is a surprise.

cj's dad
06-17-2010, 08:55 PM
baltimore always has had the best club teams. when i was young, soccer was bigger than football in these parts. after the kids are through with college, and i'm not working my arse off to pay for it, refereeing and umpiring are in the cards for da bisket.

Bisket- I played for the Highlandtown Exchange Club soccer team in the late 60's after graduating from high school- the competition was tough as all the players were from the ethnic 'hoods in East Baltimore (Highlandtown and Canton). We played at Ortmans Field (known then as the "dust bowl"). Play was rough and tough but above the level played by most !!

I played for Calvert Hall in Towson and was all MSA. Most players on the club teams had achieved awards in that area- the club teams were a great way to play at a really high level. And we did it for fun !!!!

andicap
06-17-2010, 09:00 PM
I was thinking of our little debate the day after the Green fiasco. Timing is everything. :D
So far I think your analysis/predictions have been spot-on. I've only been able to watch about 1/3 of the games and I'll wait until the second round of games are completed before commenting further. In the World Cup, I've often found a world of difference between the first and second games in the Group play as teams get less tentative and realize they need to open up and actually score some goals.

I will be curious to see how much different Gareth Barry will be in mid-field for England -- he might be pretty rusty off the injury. Clearly the Lampard-Gerrard pairing has ALWAYS been a disaster. No one knows yet who Capiello will start alongside Rooney but there is some speculation Defoe might play instead of Heskey whose scoring abilities have all but vanished. But Heskey actually didn't play badly in the U.S. game, making some good feeds.

Good post Andi...

slewis
06-17-2010, 11:17 PM
I was thinking of our little debate the day after the Green fiasco. Timing is everything. :D
So far I think your analysis/predictions have been spot-on. I've only been able to watch about 1/3 of the games and I'll wait until the second round of games are completed before commenting further. In the World Cup, I've often found a world of difference between the first and second games in the Group play as teams get less tentative and realize they need to open up and actually score some goals.

I will be curious to see how much different Gareth Barry will be in mid-field for England -- he might be pretty rusty off the injury. Clearly the Lampard-Gerrard pairing has ALWAYS been a disaster. No one knows yet who Capiello will start alongside Rooney but there is some speculation Defoe might play instead of Heskey whose scoring abilities have all but vanished. But Heskey actually didn't play badly in the U.S. game, making some good feeds.

Well Andi..

First off I'll say thanks for the kudos on the analysis.....

Next, I'll state that it's been SOOOO much damn fun getting up at 7AM to watch these matches.... I love it...and since I work at the races each day...I usually watch both early games and then catch pieces of the afternoon game on a TV at Belmont... I'm in Footy heaven!!

You're quite right about your analysis of England.... Lampard and Gerard dont compliment each other...but that's not England's issue.. I dont like their tactics.... Now Wright -Phillips came in and he showed TREMENDOUS pace.... but he needs players to compliment that... Heskey, in my opinion was no big deal...and I believe (as stated) he (Capello) brought Crouch in too late...
Regarding Barry... I follow Man City quite closely...and he's been disappointing in my book..he seemed much more effective at Villa two seasons ago and when he went to City I thought, great...but he's been dull..(in my opinion).. so I dont know what difference he will make if he plays (or not).
Next, Rooney is not right. He cannot move like Rooney and I feel bad for the lad...he's SUCH a great competitor...but if he cant hard nose it..he's not Rooney.. Defoe I think should play....it's his time... but you know this is an England side that just lacks punch and chemistry despite the abilities of their stars.

BTW...did you see Messi and Tevez put on a show today or what??

Just sensational..... I think Maradona may regret leaving Cambiasso off this squad....(although I agree with NOT bringing Zanetti on, he's overrated. they are going to need more defensive help against the big squads but they can still win this whole thing.... They are so creative offensively...only matched maybe by Brazil....

Enjoy!!

AZWrobel
06-18-2010, 12:34 AM
Just some early thoughts on a tremendous start to the world cup....
Argentina offensively is as good as it gets. They create and are a hell of a passing team. I havent missed a game in this WC yet and I think they pass the ball better than any team in here. Defensively they worry me. S Korea got a gift goal from a terrible, laxadaisical play from Demichelis, and SK had a GOLDEN opportunity that could have tied the game and SK seemed to be the better team early in the second half. Arg pulled away late, but I tohught the score wasn't as indicative as the game played out. i think their talent and pure skill will be able to take them a long way, but I'm not sure they have all the peices...
Tomorrow's Germany/Serbia game is quite intriguing and Ive been looking forward to it for awhile now. I have been an advocate of this Serbia team and am not ready to give up on them yet, despite a bad loss to Ghana. They are an experienced bunch and have a good back line led by Vidic. Germany totally outclassed Australia, but that won't happen here. Serbia will not be initimated by the strong German front. As good as Germany looked in there opener I tihnk the Serbs can snatch a point and maybe pull off a second big upset in the tournament....
Chile was a 1-0 winner against Honduras, but boy do they have a lot of fire power. They are a very dynamic and fast team...Alexis Sanchez caught my eye...Talent, Speed, natural abiltity. This guy can play. There matchup with Spain should be outstanding and we should see quite a bit of goal scoring...
Things should only get better and I'll be pulling hard for the Serbs tommorow...(+485 ML is to good too pass up!)

PhantomOnTour
06-18-2010, 12:49 AM
Great discussion ya'll.

Heskey is alright as a target man but he is simply horrible when it comes to putting the ball in the net...terrible finisher. He drew a lot of attention from the USA defense in that game, esp in the air. Agree that Crouch should have come on sooner. No Defoe though?

As for Chile; they play an attractive style. I remember a player named Salas from years back in the WC from Chile that was dazzling. Fun team to watch...Denmark played that style last time they made the WC.

Argentina....I can't trust them. All the firepower in the world with Messi, Tevez, Higuain and Kun Aguero but a team like Germany could handle them imo...stoic defense and they can score, too. Keep waiting for someone to out-tactic Maradona and that should happen in the knockout rounds.

I am afraid all African teams are doomed...none may make it to the next round (certainly not Algeria I hope!).

Can't wait until the 3rd game for everyone to roll around. That's when the real soccer begins.

slewis
06-18-2010, 01:05 AM
Great discussion ya'll.

Heskey is alright as a target man but he is simply horrible when it comes to putting the ball in the net...terrible finisher. He drew a lot of attention from the USA defense in that game, esp in the air. Agree that Crouch should have come on sooner. No Defoe though?

As for Chile; they play an attractive style. I remember a player named Salas from years back in the WC from Chile that was dazzling. Fun team to watch...Denmark played that style last time they made the WC.

Argentina....I can't trust them. All the firepower in the world with Messi, Tevez, Higuain and Kun Aguero but a team like Germany could handle them imo...stoic defense and they can score, too. Keep waiting for someone to out-tactic Maradona and that should happen in the knockout rounds.

I am afraid all African teams are doomed...none may make it to the next round (certainly not Algeria I hope!).

Can't wait until the 3rd game for everyone to roll around. That's when the real soccer begins.

Out tactic-ing Maradona wont be too difficult....He could be the achillies heel of this team..... Why did he bring so many strikers and leave capable defenders off the squad?? They are so deep up front... and why didn't he get Milito into the game today when the score was 3-1??

Maradona is a typical superstar that thinks he can transform his playing brilliance into managerial brilliance... but we all know the best players rarely make even good managers...... It's easy to look good with Messi and Tevez...but he better not let his ego get in the way in this tourney because you are correct...they could stumble badly...

bigmack
06-18-2010, 01:14 AM
Best line of the week from D.Miller RE: Horns

I watched a game and didn't realize it was a three and a half hour commercial for Ricola.

http://www.weeklydavespeak.com/wdextra/images/ricola.jpg

PhantomOnTour
06-18-2010, 08:53 AM
Serbia leads Germany 1-0 in the 67th minute and the Germans are down a man due to a red card....i will go out on a limb and guarantee the Germans tie this game and get a point.

PhantomOnTour
06-18-2010, 09:21 AM
Serbia leads Germany 1-0 in the 67th minute and the Germans are down a man due to a red card....i will go out on a limb and guarantee the Germans tie this game and get a point.
Errrrrrrrrr...maybe not :blush:

horses4courses
06-18-2010, 09:24 AM
Germany will have to beat Ghana to advance now.....I don't see Australia taking a point from Ghana or Serbia....Germans have their backs to the wall. :)

PhantomOnTour
06-18-2010, 11:55 AM
What a roller coaster of a game. We are still alive, but this Eng v Alg game is huge for us. A draw between them is what we want, no?

nearco
06-18-2010, 12:08 PM
What a roller coaster of a game. We are still alive, but this Eng v Alg game is huge for us. A draw between them is what we want, no?

Yes and no.
A draw means England will have to go all out and cream Slovenia in the last game... which is good for the US.
However it also leaves Algeria with a chance of qualifying.
A win for England means Algeria have nothing to play for in the last game, which you would think would work in the US's favour.... but then again that doesn't always work in your favour... remember Poland vs USA in '02? Sometimes a team playing only for only for pride plays better because there is no pressure.

I still think the US will take Algeria. They tend to handle north African teams well. They notorousily struggle against teams from east Europe. The fact that they came back from the deficit will be a huge psychological boost.

Greyfox
06-18-2010, 01:02 PM
Best line of the week from D.Miller RE: Horns

I watched a game and didn't realize it was a three and a half hour commercial for Ricola.

http://www.weeklydavespeak.com/wdextra/images/ricola.jpg

I tried to watch, but people horned in in front of me.

PhantomOnTour
06-18-2010, 04:19 PM
To borrow a racing term, it's win and you're in for the USA.

nearco
06-18-2010, 04:23 PM
To borrow a racing term, it's win and you're in for the USA.

yep, US masters of their own destiny now.
They could even advance with a tie, if the other Eng-Slo ends in a tie and US keeps their goals scored advantage over England, right now they have a +2 advantage over England.
Algeria are turning out to not be pushovers though. Will be a nail biting final matchday with both games being played simultaneously.

dav4463
06-18-2010, 05:20 PM
Is the over/under on every game 1 1/2 ?

AZWrobel
06-18-2010, 05:40 PM
Is the over/under on every game 1 1/2 ?
Every World Cup game but 1 has been either 2 or 2.5

Robert Goren
06-18-2010, 05:46 PM
yep, US masters of their own destiny now.
They could even advance with a tie, if the other Eng-Slo ends in a tie and US keeps their goals scored advantage over England, right now they have a +2 advantage over England.
Algeria are turning out to not be pushovers though. Will be a nail biting final matchday with both games being played simultaneously.I hate that phrase. It is the kiss of death.:rolleyes:

Space Monkey
06-18-2010, 06:38 PM
Here's my take on the "phantom call" on the 3rd US goal. The player marking Edu got beat and fell behind him in a desparate attempt at disrupting the play. The ref caught the fall and blew the whistle ASSUMING Edu pushed off. Not unlike NFL reffs that get suckered in by WR's falling untouched by the DB's. If you look at all the other 1 on 1 battles, the only fouls you see are by Slovenia. Just look at the reff's face as they were walking back as he was being questioned by the US players. He knew he f..... up. He looks sheepish. Very unprofessional.

bisket
06-18-2010, 10:26 PM
WE WAS ROBBED!!!!!! they need to keep edu in there, and not because of the goal that was taken away from him. i think he is exactly what we need. a strong forward defender in the center for us. thats where the goals are coming from, a player enters the box unchallenged with the ball in the middle of the field, and the scoring comes from there. whether that player scores or passes to an overlapping teamate. edu cut that out. this scenerio is exactly what killed us on those two goals in the first half. :bang: .
altidore is the stud we've needed up front for years. he doesn't have any goals, but he is the reason we are a good team offensively. i feel good about this american team possibly going far, if they get things worked out on defense. you have to play defense if you want to win in world cup play. unless of course you are brasil or argentina. the ref is a rook.
the hall will fall. actually we tied them both years in high school.

cj's dad
06-19-2010, 12:40 AM
the hall will fall. actually we tied them both years in high school.

And exactly where did you play H.S. ball- if you say ABC, I am ready to :lol:

bisket
06-19-2010, 07:39 PM
And exactly where did you play H.S. ball- if you say ABC, I am ready to :lol:
the one public school that was in the same league as the mentioned schools. i'm sure you know which one

cj's dad
06-19-2010, 09:22 PM
the one public school that was in the same league as the mentioned schools. i'm sure you know which one

back then, there were 2 public schools in the MSA "A" conference-
City & Poly- I'm guessing you're a Baltimore City High School grad.

bisket
06-26-2010, 08:20 PM
when i saw the coach decided to sit edu i was disgusted. the way we teach soccer in this country will always make it tough for us to win a world cup. that was a classic usa style coaching manuever that when it come to world class soccer is bush league. for some reason we seem to think offensively when it come to midfield play. thats a mistake. in soccer at this level; midfield play has to about gaining possesion of the ball, not an extension of your offensive philosophy. the fact that we didn't have a stud playing defense hurt us on that second goal.

cj's dad
06-26-2010, 09:51 PM
How in the world does a team consistently give up goals in the opening minutes of a match - today in the first 5 and then in OT in the first 3 ?!?

They deserved to lose !!

bisket
06-26-2010, 10:35 PM
the fact edu wasn't in there is why that first goal was scored.

Headbanger
06-26-2010, 11:56 PM
They lost to a better team today. It was pretty simple, Ghana was the better team today. Better with the ball, better tactically, better in the back, disciplined, and physical, with pace. The US Soccer team is good, but Ghana outplayed them today and absolutely deserved to move on. Now, if Edu is in from the start, yeah, decent chance they don't give up the first one, but then, chances are, they don't play the same style coming out of the halftime break if it's 0-0 compared to 1-0, especially against a good defensive side in Ghana with a good goalkeeper in Richard Kingson, who has been outstanding at the World Cup. The US will always be competitive with most of the world, but you will always have your top teams like Brazil, Argentina, etc., that the US will struggle to beat on a consistent basis. It's not like this was any lock that the US would win today. Ghana is a very good side, and they were missing their leader and best player Michael Essien for the entire Cup, as well as bringing established Top Level veterans like Sulley Muntari and Stephen Appiah off the bench this year, for younger players who were a part of the 2009 U20 World Cup winning side. Ghana will be a thorn in many team's sides for the next couple of years and it wouldn't suprise me in the least if they are one of the 2014 World Cup favorites with the talent on that squad.

PhantomOnTour
06-27-2010, 01:13 AM
First of all, I think the US team finished right about where they deserved to finish. Good enough to escape the group stage but that's about it. Ghana was better than us and earned the win.
Secondly, Tim Howard allowed a soft goal on the Boateng shot in the 1st half. Cover the near post!!! That shot was at least a foot away from the post...looked like he was cheating to the inside in anticipation of a cross, but the shot came instead and he got caught.
Lastly, why for Chrissakes did Bradley start Clark in midfield?? Edu and Feilhaber are clearly better players, and Clark looked lost & scared out there. His turnover led to the first goal.

Anyone notice the fear and apprehensiveness in Donovan's eyes before his penalty kick? He went into a squat and was playing with the grass; then he stood up and had a look of terror in his eyes. I thought he would miss for sure...he tried to miss it but the post saved him.

slewis
06-27-2010, 09:53 AM
First of all, I think the US team finished right about where they deserved to finish. Good enough to escape the group stage but that's about it. Ghana was better than us and earned the win.
Secondly, Tim Howard allowed a soft goal on the Boateng shot in the 1st half. Cover the near post!!! That shot was at least a foot away from the post...looked like he was cheating to the inside in anticipation of a cross, but the shot came instead and he got caught.
Lastly, why for Chrissakes did Bradley start Clark in midfield?? Edu and Feilhaber are clearly better players, and Clark looked lost & scared out there. His turnover led to the first goal.

Anyone notice the fear and apprehensiveness in Donovan's eyes before his penalty kick? He went into a squat and was playing with the grass; then he stood up and had a look of terror in his eyes. I thought he would miss for sure...he tried to miss it but the post saved him.

That's a very good point regarding Tim Howard giving up a soft first goal.... he's out way too far attempting to cut down the angle. Even on the second goal I think if he's 5 or 6 feet back he has a chance at stopping the shot...I mean it's not like the guy picked the upper corner.

They've had the games on at Belmont and I've been telling many novices that our defense is VERY suspect but our goaltending is SOLID.... Howard did not play well at all...and we needed him to come up big to cover the weaknesses.

I told people Ghana would be a VERY formidable opponent so I guess the US finished where they should have......

bisket
06-27-2010, 10:11 AM
i was actually hoping we would end up with germany, rather than ghana. thats ghana's game isolating the defense and beating them one on one. which really exploited our weakness. i just don't think we are fast enough to run with world class players defensively.

toetoe
06-27-2010, 01:21 PM
I noticed that the Americans don't have that "intimacy" with the ball shown by the Brasilians, e.g. You know --- you pass to yourself through the defender's legs, or you kill a long pass, and then you control the ball and take off. Well, the Americans were tapping the ball too hard, so the keeper or the fullback had little trouble stealing it or kicking it away. I guess I'm saying they don't even have "touch." It's crucial to any ball control worthy of the term.

I was impressed with the fullback, Bornstein. Not a formidable athletic specimen, but rock solid.

cj
06-27-2010, 01:29 PM
I agree with slewis about Howard. He is very good, but he didn't play well. On the last goal he was caught in no man's land without cause and it cost him.

Space Monkey
06-27-2010, 05:29 PM
When all is said and done, we moved on from our group, which was expected and then lost to a team ranked 18 places below us. True, they did have an advantage playing in their home country, but I don't think that made a difference. We should have beaten Ghana, especially without Essian.

Sometimes coaches have confidence in unproven players that nobody else does. For some reason only known to Bradley, he decided to start Clark after he had proven earlier that he was in over his head. Bradley also showed a complete lack of confidence in Feilhaber, who was one of our best players everytime he stepped on to the pitch. Bradley has to shoulder part of the blame by making bad lineup decisions.

I always told my goalies to NEVER let a goal in on the short side. Cover that post. I always told my players to shoot far post, because you have to asume the near one would be covered. How Howard left so much room to the short side is beyond my comprehension. He also didn't get his hands up fast enough on the second goal. When confronted with a situation like he was in, you have to make yourself as large as possible. Extend your arms.

I'm not a Donovan fan, but he did himself proud this World Cup. I can't agree with the above poster on his demeanor before his PK. He made the kick guy, give him credit.

What we are missing is a world class striker. Maybe Altidore will be the one, after all he is only 22. Our midfield is our strength, and was the only part of our team that performed at an acceptable level.

JustRalph
06-27-2010, 06:25 PM
Gotta love the Post............ :lol:

http://www.mediaite.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/front062710.jpg

ddog
06-27-2010, 06:33 PM
I wouldn't spend 1 minute watching this sham of a game if you propped my eyes open with toothpicks and strapped me in front of the boob toob.

The sooner the us is out of it the better , easier to avoid the goons and their incessant prattle over the garbage. :lol:

Maybe if we got to field the fridge an shac along with some of their friends the game would be interesting.

instead you have to stomach a bunch of metro=sexed types and too-poor to afford a proper kit prance around the green,just seeing pics of the games and the celebration when they score a lousy GGOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLL makes me retch.

Headbanger
06-27-2010, 07:18 PM
When all is said and done, we moved on from our group, which was expected and then lost to a team ranked 18 places below us. True, they did have an advantage playing in their home country, but I don't think that made a difference. We should have beaten Ghana, especially without Essian.

Sometimes coaches have confidence in unproven players that nobody else does. For some reason only known to Bradley, he decided to start Clark after he had proven earlier that he was in over his head. Bradley also showed a complete lack of confidence in Feilhaber, who was one of our best players everytime he stepped on to the pitch. Bradley has to shoulder part of the blame by making bad lineup decisions.

I always told my goalies to NEVER let a goal in on the short side. Cover that post. I always told my players to shoot far post, because you have to asume the near one would be covered. How Howard left so much room to the short side is beyond my comprehension. He also didn't get his hands up fast enough on the second goal. When confronted with a situation like he was in, you have to make yourself as large as possible. Extend your arms.

I'm not a Donovan fan, but he did himself proud this World Cup. I can't agree with the above poster on his demeanor before his PK. He made the kick guy, give him credit.

What we are missing is a world class striker. Maybe Altidore will be the one, after all he is only 22. Our midfield is our strength, and was the only part of our team that performed at an acceptable level.

The FIFA World Rankigns are irrelivant...useless, whatever you want to call them. Greece for crying out loud was ranked 13th and ahead of the US. Ghana is not the 32nd best soccer team in the world, as they probably fall in the 10-15 range, and in 4 years they will be even better with their core players like Essien coming back as well as their young players being 4 years older. If you played that game 10 times I would venture to say the US wins 5 and Ghana wins 5. That's how tight that matchup is.

cj
06-27-2010, 07:55 PM
The sport of soccer has to be embarrassed by the officiating at the biggest tournament in the world.

swami13
06-27-2010, 08:04 PM
The sport of soccer has to be embarrassed by the officiating at the biggest tournament in the world.

I haven't read much of this post but Thunder nailed it, the call disallowing the US goal a game or two ago made me lose the little interest I had in this.
The official can just blow the whistle without explaining why he blew it is just crazy, no explanation, didn't even have to talk to the press for 2-3 days.....crazy.

ddog
06-27-2010, 08:14 PM
How much MONEY is bet on this deal again??????? ;)

What's the screening on these refs?

Has anyone seen Don King around???? :lol:

slewis
06-27-2010, 08:17 PM

"Embarrassed" is being very kind on your part.

slewis
06-27-2010, 08:23 PM
I haven't read much of this post but Thunder nailed it, the call disallowing the US goal a game or two ago made me lose the little interest I had in this.
The official can just blow the whistle without explaining why he blew it is just crazy, no explanation, didn't even have to talk to the press for 2-3 days.....crazy.

Ever see a guy catch a 60 yd TD pass in the NFL...only to have the announcer say "there's a flag on the play....I think it's holding"...

Other sports are just as bad.....

I think the reason why the ref blew the whistle on that play you queried was that he realized he should never had made the foul call giving the US a free kick from the original spot leadind the set piece...... there was no foul there....

slewis
06-27-2010, 08:26 PM
Gotta love the Post............ :lol:

http://www.mediaite.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/front062710.jpg

Doesn't Murdoch the media mogul own both the Post and Fox????

Talk about one hand not knowing what the other is doing....

swami13
06-27-2010, 08:39 PM
Ever see a guy catch a 60 yd TD pass in the NFL...only to have the announcer say "there's a flag on the play....I think it's holding"...

Other sports are just as bad.....

I think the reason why the ref blew the whistle on that play you queried was that he realized he should never had made the foul call giving the US a free kick from the original spot leadind the set piece...... there was no foul there....

with the NFL the ref at least tells everybody the call and names the player who did it. just blowing the whistle without ANY explanation is insane.

cj's dad
06-28-2010, 09:54 AM

There is talk of a "goal" referee on a platform above and behind each goal, similar to ice hockey. FIFA will have to do something before 2014 in Colombia

Bettowin
06-28-2010, 12:15 PM
They do need a few more refs. Not sure how many are on the field but there is a lot of ground to cover with a lot of players moving in quick spurts of action. Seemed to me the refs I could see were constantly out of position. The NBA has 3 refs for 10 players on a much smaller court and soccer has ??

broadreach
06-28-2010, 12:30 PM
There is talk of a "goal" referee on a platform above and behind each goal, similar to ice hockey. FIFA will have to do something before 2014 in ColombiaLots of ideas/theories thrown about. Another one is that a computer Chip to be placed in the ball and the lines on the field will have detectors, underneath the grass. A monitor will then instantly show the referee the result/impact.

Something needs to be done, the game is too fast for the linesman and referees.

cj
06-28-2010, 05:09 PM
There is talk of a "goal" referee on a platform above and behind each goal, similar to ice hockey. FIFA will have to do something before 2014 in Colombia

Brazil. :)

Space Monkey
06-28-2010, 05:44 PM
The goal that England got screwed on was the result of a flaw in the system. I don't blame the assistant referee (linesman) at all. His job is to stay with the last defender, so he can call offsides correctly. In this case the last defender was around the top of the box, 18 yards away. Once a shot is taken, in this case from about 25 yards, then the asst ref is to sprint to the goal line. The problem is, he can't outrun a 90 mph shot and be in position to make a call when the ball hits the crossbar and drops down. the ref is running, bouncing, can't get focused, and being at least 10 yards away from the goal, he can't possibly see for certain where the ball drops. Its every asst ref 's nightmare. I know, I've been there. There's nothing you can do. FIFA has shown total incompetence in not dealing with this matter before this. It was bound to happen.

Space Monkey
06-28-2010, 05:45 PM
I agree Headbanger, the FIFA rankings are garbage. Ghana is underrated. But we still should have beaten them.

bisket
06-28-2010, 06:37 PM
i agree clocker we were a better team than ghana. i guess thats why i'm so frustrated. fifa is happy with the way things are as far as the officiating. soccer is sorta like general hospital in europe. the more intrigue the better. i don't feel they used altidore anywhere near enough. the ball should have been going through him on offense. he should get a touch just about every gtime we were in the opposing teams side of the field. whenever he recieved a pass it wasn't in an opportune spot. we used our midfield like strikers way to much. which also made it more difficult for us to strike fast. in world cup soccer most goals are scored when the ball is distributed to the offense to quickly for the opposing team's mid field to react. using our midfield like we did negated this, and made it more difficult on altidore to do his job.

nearco
06-28-2010, 10:13 PM
It's not like they didn't have a massive wakeup call/warning last November......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QNHlFDbxvY&NR=1

Space Monkey
06-30-2010, 07:08 PM
The reason our offense came through the midfield biskit, is because Dempsey and Donovan are our 2 best field players. Altidore is just a kid. He showed he's not ready for prime time just yet. We lacked a world class striker. In 4 years Altidore should be ready. Our second best striker is Charlie Davies. His unfortunate car accident kept him out. Too bad, he might have made a difference.

cj's dad
07-01-2010, 09:08 AM
Nigerian president "Goodluck" Johnston has banned the team from Intern'l play for two years !

That move is sure to help them play better.

More at the link:

http://g.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/world-cup/news/nigerian-football-ban-gets-mixed-reception--fbintl_afp-fblwc2010ngr.html

cj
07-02-2010, 05:09 PM
Wow, game saved with an intentional handball in the final seconds. Shootout time...

cj
07-02-2010, 05:27 PM
I don't think I've seen a guy getting red carded be the hero before. Two red cards today, one hero, one goat, the guy from Brazil that also scored an own goal.

OTM Al
07-02-2010, 06:33 PM
Nigerian president "Goodluck" Johnston has banned the team from Intern'l play for two years !

That move is sure to help them play better.

More at the link:

http://g.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/world-cup/news/nigerian-football-ban-gets-mixed-reception--fbintl_afp-fblwc2010ngr.html

Probably chickenfeed compared to what happened to the North Korean team when they got home....

cj's dad
07-02-2010, 11:17 PM
Wow, game saved with an intentional handball in the final seconds. Shootout time...

I did that once and it worked out fine --- what else to do when the opponents is going to score - I got tossed but we still won in OT !!

BTW - it was against (your school) St. Joe - check it out -- in 1966 - before you were born !!!!

cj
07-03-2010, 01:02 AM
I did that once and it worked out fine --- what else to do when the opponents is going to score - I got tossed but we still won in OT !!

BTW - it was against (your school) St. Joe - check it out -- in 1966 - before you were born !!!!

It was the only play...some are complaining but it was a smart play. If you let it go, you lose, end of story.

PhantomOnTour
07-03-2010, 01:08 AM
Suarez made the right choice, the ONLY choice. There was a chance Gyan would miss the PK, and he did. Suarez will miss Uruguay's next game, but at least they have a next game, right?

I am looking for fireworks in the Germany v Argentina game tomorrow morning. Should be one of the best games of the tournament. Germany does everything an American fan wants: they score and they get scored on. That I can guarantee. Both teams will score 2 goals imo, but is the Germans who will prevail....at least that's what I am hoping for. As we speak the German coaches are drawing up a plan to stop der Messi peoples!

thaskalos
07-04-2010, 05:17 PM
The FIFA World Rankigns are irrelivant...useless, whatever you want to call them. Greece for crying out loud was ranked 13th and ahead of the US. Ghana is not the 32nd best soccer team in the world, as they probably fall in the 10-15 range, and in 4 years they will be even better with their core players like Essien coming back as well as their young players being 4 years older. If you played that game 10 times I would venture to say the US wins 5 and Ghana wins 5. That's how tight that matchup is. The FIFA world rankings are inaccurate because the National teams don't play often enough to allow proper assessment of their "true" strength...International competition is limited.

Greece was rated relatively high because of their Euro 2004 Championship win...but this year's team was not even close to the 2004 team in ability, and experience.

How can you get a "true" line on National teams when the major events occur every 4 years?