PDA

View Full Version : Predictions for Strasburg's debut tonight?

CBedo
06-08-2010, 04:03 PM
The circus is in town for the debut of National's pitcher Stephen Strasburg tonight. Who thinks he will pitch a perfect game and who thinks he gets shelled and pulled without getting an out? LOL. I have no rooting interest, so I hope he pitches well.

kenwoodall2
06-08-2010, 04:06 PM
Never heard of him, so he gets shelled!

Johnny V
06-08-2010, 04:33 PM
He should do well and they will take him out before too much punishment if he is not showing too much. They want him to do well and they are starting him carefully at home against a team they expect he should do well against.

Rookies
06-08-2010, 04:40 PM
I've watched his progress from afar.

He is the latest 100mph phenom that's got it and he has 4 live pitches. His last start @ AAA v.s. Syracuse, I believe he went 5 shutout Innings.

He should do just as well tonight and hopefully be CUT OFF at 5! That's the idiocy of management- pitch the phenom until he's ready for Tommy John- the surgery.:ThmbDown:

ldiatone
06-08-2010, 04:43 PM
The circus is in town for the debut of National's pitcher Stephen Strasburg tonight. Who thinks he will pitch a perfect game and who thinks he gets shelled and pulled without getting an out? LOL. I have no rooting interest, so I hope he pitches well.

well of course the bucco's will blow him off the mound :jump: :liar: :blush:
tommorrow the bucs send out their ace in the minors, Lincoln.
what, the pirates are almost the worst scoring team in the ML.
"stupid lousy owner" will not put out the money for the players.
17 years of rebuilding..... then trading away players for "prospects" :bang:
now if this where the '70s bucs(who beat the baltimore birddies in the WS :) )
the'd put a hurtin on this guy!

Zippy Chippy
06-08-2010, 07:45 PM
I'd love to see him get shelled

ElKabong
06-08-2010, 07:59 PM
just turned the game on, he's shutting out the bucs in the 4th......he has looked good from what i've seen of him in the minors and tonite (a wicked uncle charlie on the outside corner, then a LIVE piece of cheese to get a dp ball)

and then, a homer!!!! that change wasn't down or away enuff

JustRalph
06-08-2010, 08:02 PM
at 100 mph......what's he got left in the arm ? 2 yrs ?

Bettowin
06-08-2010, 08:12 PM

Tell that to a guy named Nolan Ryan. His delivery isn't that bad but he doesn't use his legs like Mr. Ryan did. All he needs is a couple successful years in the majors to be set for life if he isn't already from his signing bonus.

Space Monkey
06-08-2010, 08:21 PM

Have you ever heard of Nolan Ryan Ralph?? :lol:

While the Nats are bringing him up early, they are limiting his pitch count and innings for the year. He'll be OK unless he tries too hard to impress and strains his arm. I hope the kid pans out.

Space Monkey
06-08-2010, 08:36 PM
The kids got nasty stuff. The Nats jsut took the lead. Keep him in the dugout. We'll see if they are really sincere in protecting their prize prospect. Moron in the announcing booth is calling for him to come out for the 7th.

cj's dad
06-08-2010, 08:52 PM
Top of the 8th - One out - just struck out #12 and has thrown after that SO only 88 pitches. make that 13 SO's on 91 pitches. Coming to the plate the only batter who has not struck out. Just struck him out on three pitches (up to 94) for SO #14 - alert !! he looks that good - then again he is facing Pittsburgh - thank God he's not debuting vs. The Orioles.

He's coming out after 7 full innings - only runs on a 2 run homer. in the 4th.

His last pitch in the 7th for the SO was clocked at 102 mph.

rastajenk
06-08-2010, 08:53 PM
He's got some nasty stuff. 12 K's already.

Ocala Mike
06-08-2010, 09:00 PM
Guy was everything they said plus! Hard to imagine what he could be if he "improves". Only caveat is that I remember Karl Spooner for the Dodgers (you can look him up).

Ocala Mike

Johnny V
06-08-2010, 09:02 PM
He went 7 innings and struck out 14 and that is a pretty impressive start for a rookie pitcher. He showed remarkable poise for all the hype and has very good stuff. I hope he continues to do well in the majors.

cj's dad
06-08-2010, 09:02 PM
His 14 K's are a franchise record - in his 1st start and in only 7 innings !!

14 K's out of 21 outs - pretty impressive !!

What a debut !!

This will be the talk of ESPN tomorrow; especially Mike and Mike in the Morning.

BillW
06-08-2010, 09:03 PM
He's got some nasty stuff. 12 K's already.

Wait till he sees a major league lineup before jumping to conclusions. Most of the Pirates couldn't crack a lineup on a AAA squad (it is a perfect start for him to build his confidence though)

JustRalph
06-08-2010, 09:12 PM
Read about it here..........

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/06/in-which-strasburg-debuts-and-we-blog-about-it.html.php

Nolan Who?

rastajenk
06-08-2010, 09:27 PM
Not jumping to any conclusions; just calling it as I'm seeing it. Bob Costas pointed out that the Pirates aren't a bunch of free swinging strikeout kings. His pitches were moving.

Rookies
06-08-2010, 09:36 PM
IP H R ER BB SO HR ERA
7.0 4 2 2 0 14 1 2.57

Stephen Strasburg (http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/players/playerpage/1675980)(W,1-0)

Only the crap Pirates, but MIGHTY impressive ! Glad I took the -1.5 tonight.;)

Valuist
06-08-2010, 10:26 PM
Very impressive. Wonder how long it will be before the Nats have both Strasbourg and Bryce Harper. 2 years?

ElKabong
06-09-2010, 12:37 AM
like rastajenk said, his pitches are live...they have movement... a 100mph pitch can be hit, but when it has movement it's very tough....when that movement happens at 55-60 ft from the mound it's almost untouchable when pitches are spotted or on the black

kid looks great. bright future

JustRalph
06-09-2010, 04:01 AM
check out these great highlights from behind the mound....that ball is moving a ton........ that up running fastball surprised me that he got a few strikeouts on that one......great curve ball too........

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100608&content_id=10944784&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

these highlights might be in Hi Def ?

JustRalph
06-09-2010, 04:17 AM
The sequence below is one single pitch.......check the left to right movement on that ball.....it starts out directly at the umpires crotch and Pudge catches it outside the plate.......tailing away.........at 98 mph

Marshall Bennett
06-09-2010, 08:05 AM
Must have been an offspeed pitch or perhaps a screwball . I can't imagine one of his fastballs having time to involve that much movement .

rrbauer
06-09-2010, 01:39 PM

Remember Nolan Ryan? This guy is Ryan's spitting image from a ease of delivery perspective. At this stage of his career he is much better than Ryan for one simple reason: He can pitch. Ryan was a "thrower" for a long time until he could consistently throw his breaking ball for strikes.

rrbauer
06-09-2010, 01:40 PM
Very impressive. Wonder how long it will be before the Nats have both Strasbourg and Bryce Harper. 2 years?

September!

ldiatone
06-09-2010, 05:32 PM
i told you guys the bucs would blow him off the field! (all the wind caused by swings and misses!) :bang:
(stupid lousy owner)

Space Monkey
06-09-2010, 05:55 PM
BillW did you watch him? Do you know anything about baseball? This kid has 5 pitches. Great movement on all of them. I've never seen a young pitcher with the arsenal this kid has. If he stays healthy, the sky's the limit.

Marshall Bennett
06-09-2010, 06:46 PM
His change-up may well be his best pitch . He's got everything . Hope he keeps it all together . :)

Space Monkey
06-09-2010, 06:50 PM
The homer Delmon hit was on a low and outside sinker. Good pitch. Delmon hit a pitchers pitch. Too bad he can't do it more often. Then maybe he'd have the career he was supposed to have.

BillW
06-09-2010, 06:51 PM
BillW did you watch him? Do you know anything about baseball? This kid has 5 pitches. Great movement on all of them. I've never seen a young pitcher with the arsenal this kid has. If he stays healthy, the sky's the limit.

I saw David Clyde pitch and I've watched this guy through college and yes he is really good (every bit as good as Clyde) but his performance last night was attributed as much to the incompetence of the team he faced as it was to his talent. It is unusual for even the best in history to be that good right out of the gate. Look at the first games pitched of all the best in history and you'll see what I mean.

cj's dad
06-09-2010, 07:32 PM

Jim Palmer was VERY close but you probably never saw hiom pitch !!

Space Monkey
06-09-2010, 07:35 PM
I know, Billy Rohr pitched a no hitter or a 1 hitter early on. I'm judging my opinion on his stuff. Clyde, if I remember correctly, had arm problems. Like I said about Strasburg, "IF HE STAYS HEALTHY". That's the key. I'm the furtherest thing from a band wagon jumpin idealistic fan. I look at this kids stuff and I'm amazed.

Space Monkey
06-09-2010, 07:40 PM
Dad, I remember Palmer very well. He was part of the best 4 man rotation of all time. 4, 20 game winners on 1 team. Cuellar, Dobson,,,I'm struggling on then other?? The pitcher who I considered to have the best stuff was Juan Marichal. He had command of 5 pitches from 4 different angles. I loved watching him pitch.

Space Monkey
06-09-2010, 07:42 PM
No, Bill, I wouldn't degrade the Pirates like you have. They are a major league team with some very good hitters in their lineup.

cj's dad
06-09-2010, 07:46 PM
[QUOTE=Space Monkey]Dad, I remember Palmer very well. He was part of the best 4 man rotation of all time. 4, 20 game winners on 1 team. Cuellar, Dobson,,,I'm struggling on then other?? The pitcher who I considered to have the best stuff was Juan Marichal. He had command of 5 pitches from 4 different angles. I loved watching him pitch.[/QUOTE

Mc Nally - that record of 4 - 20 game winners will never be broken !!

Juan Marichal pitched a game into extra innings which he won and threw 200+ pitches- these guys today get pulled after 100. Sweet !!

onefast99
06-09-2010, 08:13 PM
I saw him pitch at Syracuse on May 7th vs the Gwinnett Braves, he was very impressive.

Rookies
06-09-2010, 08:24 PM
Jim Palmer was VERY close but you probably never saw him pitch !!

I did! :ThmbUp:

The ladies liked him too...;)

I don't understimate what Stras did at all- an all time record for the franhise in his 1st start. And he's not just a 100mph fireballer. He has 3 others that are great.

But, it's a looooong way to Cooperstown.:) Let's see if the Nats have a brain in their heads about pacing him through the season. He shouldn't ever pitch longer than 7 this year.

ElKabong
06-09-2010, 11:34 PM
having seen david clyde's first game in june of 1973, and most of his career starts in arlington (literally) i don't think he had anywhere near the repritoire that strasbug has... when clyde pitched vs the twins in his first game, he was down to one pitch after loading the bases w/ walks to start the game....it was a fastball.(then struck out the side IIRC
)...his curve wasn't anything like i saw last nite, IMO

billy martin's one correct suggestion when he was here was to tell the media after that game to send david clyde to A, pronto....clyde basically kept the franchise financially aflot during 1973....in 74 we brought in fergie and others, didn't need clyde so much & made a small run at oakland...david clyde was a guy that was robbed of a career....the StrangerS s/h dent him down for at least 3 yrs..he coulda been special but never developed

magwell
06-09-2010, 11:49 PM
One game doesn't make a career... but he looks awesome, lets hope he stays sound :cool:

Bettowin
06-10-2010, 01:33 AM
We will see what happens the first time he comes out and doesn't have it. The best pitchers while not dominating their opponents can still get outs and strikeouts when they need them. To me, that is 99% character and determination and from what I have read about him and have seen in one outing he should be able to get guys out on the major league level when he doesn't have all of his pitches working.

God help the hitters if he gets better and learns how to pitch each hitter. He is in the right league to be successful early:)

rrbauer
06-10-2010, 03:57 AM
The homer Delmon hit was on a low and outside sinker. Good pitch. Delmon hit a pitchers pitch. Too bad he can't do it more often. Then maybe he'd have the career he was supposed to have.

It was a changeup in the middle of the plate...what game were you watching?

Hank
06-10-2010, 10:36 AM
[QUOTE=Marshall Bennett]His change-up may well be his best pitch . He's got everything . Hope he keeps it all together . :)[/QUOTE

I think he should ditch the change,with a +++ fastball like he has, the slider and or curve are much better complimentary pitches,if the change fails to break it's a 90 fastball and he gives an over matched hitter a chance.

cj's dad
06-10-2010, 01:26 PM
Sliders are the ruination of many a fine young arm.

Hank
06-10-2010, 01:52 PM
Sliders are the ruination of many a fine young arm.

Repeatedly throwing baseballs downhill 90 mph is inherently stressful on the arm/shoulder/elbow,the slider thrown with "proper mechanics" is no more injurious than other pitches AFTER the young man's growth plates have closed up.

Marshall Bennett
06-10-2010, 01:55 PM
[QUOTE=Marshall Bennett]His change-up may well be his best pitch . He's got everything . Hope he keeps it all together . :)[/QUOTE

I think he should ditch the change,with a +++ fastball like he has, the slider and or curve are much better complimentary pitches,if the change fails to break it's a 90 fastball and he gives an over matched hitter a chance.
Any pitch can fail to some degree . Hanging curveballs , fastballs in the dirt , sliders that don't move . Looked to me as if his change-up was consistant and accounted for many of his 14 strikeouts . It seemed to have a screwball effect breaking in on right handed hitters .

cj's dad
06-10-2010, 09:02 PM
Repeatedly throwing baseballs downhill 90 mph is inherently stressful on the arm/shoulder/elbow,the slider thrown with "proper mechanics" is no more injurious than other pitches AFTER the young man's growth plates have closed up.

Jim Palmer disagrees - but then again what does he know.

JustRalph
06-10-2010, 11:56 PM
watch the video again. His change up was 81 mph several times.

Serious consistency........the kid was able to maintain it all along.

The change ....... devastating to hitters when they just whiffed a 100mph pitch. the change is his "out" pitch.......no way he gives it up

Pace Cap'n
06-11-2010, 07:27 AM
A changeup is not a breaking ball.

Pitches illustrated (http://www.seattlepi.com/baseball/pdf/pitchingpage.pdf)

Hank
06-11-2010, 12:57 PM
Jim Palmer disagrees - but then again what does he know.

Exactly...What does he Know? He's a Jock. DR.Mike Marshall who is a former CY young award winning pitcher and holds a PHD in exercise physiology disagrees with Palmer-but then again what does he know.

Hank
06-11-2010, 01:25 PM
A changeup is not a breaking ball.

Pitches illustrated (http://www.seattlepi.com/baseball/pdf/pitchingpage.pdf)

Technically this is true, but a + change will consistently sink and tail right at the plate.

cj's dad
06-13-2010, 12:15 PM
He makes his 2nd start today vs. the Indians - it should be very interesting to see how he performs following Tuesdays' impressive outing.

cj's dad
06-13-2010, 06:40 PM
Pitched 6 and 1/3 w/ 8 K's - he seemed to be tiring and was removed w/ the bases loaded. Nats went on to keep their lead and won easily.

He again looked very good. He didn't bring it like he did on Tuesday but his change and location are top notch. He appears to be the real deal !!

ElKabong
06-14-2010, 01:58 AM
Exactly...What does he Know? He's a Jock. DR.Mike Marshall who is a former CY young award winning pitcher and holds a PHD in exercise physiology disagrees with Palmer-but then again what does he know.

mike marshall is a kook...phd and all...the guy is a long running joke

he was a great pitcher for a short # of yrs, a decent pitcher for many...palmer was greatness. period

but the point is, read marshall's stuff....no one takes him seriously...and as mike maddux and others have said, let's see one of dr mike marshall's "pupils" make it to the bigs and see what happens

problem is, they don't get anywhere near the show...mechanically his teachings are critiqued to the outhouse by people far more accomplished at their craft than he's ever accomplished in coaching

Marshall Bennett
06-14-2010, 06:45 AM
Pitched 6 and 1/3 w/ 8 K's - he seemed to be tiring and was removed w/ the bases loaded. Nats went on to keep their lead and won easily.

He again looked very good. He didn't bring it like he did on Tuesday but his change and location are top notch. He appears to be the real deal !!
Not so sure it was a matter of getting tired . Believe he was having issues with the mound which could have rattled him . He was still throwing hard , but dealing with location . Lets remember for his age , is 6 innings really going to be an issue ? I hope not . Years ago he likely would have worked through it and perhaps completed the game ... if indeed he is as great as we imagine .

Hank
06-16-2010, 01:04 AM
mike marshall is a kook...phd and all...the guy is a long running joke

he was a great pitcher for a short # of yrs, a decent pitcher for many...palmer was greatness. period

but the point is, read marshall's stuff....no one takes him seriously...and as mike maddux and others have said, let's see one of dr mike marshall's "pupils" make it to the bigs and see what happens

problem is, they don't get anywhere near the show...mechanically his teachings are critiqued to the outhouse by people far more accomplished at their craft than he's ever accomplished in coaching

No... the baseball establishment attempts to brands him a kook because they are threatened by him.Pitcher after pitcher after pitcher destroy their arms using the conventional methods that Marshall challenges... and he's the Kook.Yeah right

Rookies
06-18-2010, 10:48 PM
Despite no decision, smoked the ChSox with an ERA < 2 and 10Ks.

And wholly shit, the Nuts pulled him in the 7th in a 1-1 tie.

SOMEONE in that org has brains to keep their meal ticket going. Sure as hell, they aren't being run by the Os brain-fart bust, right Dennis ?

cj's dad
06-19-2010, 12:33 AM
I watched some of the game as i get both the O's and Nats on MASN, he again was something special- 10 K's, 1 ER, and now has 34 (?) K's in
20 & 1/3 innings pitched. This guy is the real deal !!!!

cj's dad
06-23-2010, 09:20 PM
Afternoon game vs. the KC Royals - Nats lose 1-0 - Strasberg is credited with the loss.

He pitched 6 innings and gave up 9 hits - 1 Earned run and he had 10 k's.

As the announcers tell it, KC is a contact hitting team which they appeared to be today - many slap singles and 1 run - the Nats were "robbed" of a tying run in the 7th (?) on a very close play. at the plate.

Anyway, the kid looked very good again and as we all know- he was not going to go undefeated in his career !!

Bettowin
06-24-2010, 09:49 AM
Brian Bannister can tell his grandkids that he gave the great Strasburg his first loss in a 1-0 duel for the ages:)

Marshall Bennett
06-24-2010, 12:16 PM
His dad Floyd Bannister , a very good pitcher in his on right , must be proud as well .

cj's dad
06-28-2010, 10:11 AM
The game is scheduled for ESPN2 @ 7:00 PM

http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2010_06_28_wasmlb_atlmlb_1&mode=preview

Bettowin
06-28-2010, 12:13 PM
The game is scheduled for ESPN2 @ 7:00 PM

http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2010_06_28_wasmlb_atlmlb_1&mode=preview

Gotta go with the under on this game tonight. I show 6 1/2. Maybe 3-2 with the scoring done late?

cj's dad
06-28-2010, 10:08 PM
SS had a 4 hitter going into the 7th and the Nats defense- one of the leagues worst imploded. Oh well, can't win them all !

Bettowin
06-28-2010, 10:28 PM
Got the 5 runs correct and none by the Nats but it pays the same:) MLB is brutal on young pitchers no matter how good they are but Stras is going to be a great one by all accounts. Probably would help the young pitcher if his team could give him a nice lead early. Stras and Zach Grienke should become twitter buddies:)

cj's dad
06-28-2010, 10:48 PM
This guy looked un-hittable at times - firing 99 mph fastballs and then 81 mph sliders - almost unfair !

Bettowin
06-28-2010, 11:17 PM
This guy looked un-hittable at times - firing 99 mph fastballs and then 81 mph sliders - almost unfair !

That is NASTY!!! I am not a Royals fan but last year Grienke was hitting 97-99 with his fastball, 88-90 with his slider and then a 72 changeup. Not to mention hitting the corners high and low at will. This year not so good but I would still love him on my team.

Speaking of hard throwing pitchers, catch the Twins Tigers highlights. The Tigers flamethrower, Joel Zumaya, almost lost his arm tonight.

Edit

Don't think we will see him again:(

JustRalph
06-28-2010, 11:59 PM
I saw a Strasburg Jersey for sale in a local Dept. Store

48 bucks........ and they were pushing them hard with big signs etc

Bettowin
06-29-2010, 12:17 AM
I saw a Strasburg Jersey for sale in a local Dept. Store

48 bucks........ and they were pushing them hard with big signs etc

The "official" MLB Strasburg jersey on MLB.com is only $259. You don't want to settle for the cheap knockoff now do you?

Marshall Bennett
06-29-2010, 08:06 AM
Believe maturity will even make him better . He tends to overthrow at times and with his speed he doesn't need to . His movement is what's devastating to hitters and when he overthrows it all but disappears .
He's so damn good , it's hard to imagine much better , but I think he'll only get better .

Valuist
07-04-2010, 01:26 PM
Strasburg has looked great so far and barring injury, should have a great career.

But lets end any discussion of him making the All-Star team this season. He just hasn't made enough starts and done enough to warrant it. And it ISNT about marketing......its (supposed to be) about the game, and the players who deserve to be there based on their production for all of April, May, June and early July.

cj's dad
07-10-2010, 12:37 PM
He pitched last night and was scary good- hit 99-100 several times and that sinker-straight change was unhittable and the nasty curve buckled more than one set of knees.

He got his 3rd win.

cj
07-10-2010, 12:55 PM
Strasburg has looked great so far and barring injury, should have a great career.

But lets end any discussion of him making the All-Star team this season. He just hasn't made enough starts and done enough to warrant it. And it ISNT about marketing......its (supposed to be) about the game, and the players who deserve to be there based on their production for all of April, May, June and early July.

Now, the home field advantage can be won, so it is supposed to count. Looking at it that way, I want him on the team if I'm the manager.

Pace Cap'n
07-10-2010, 01:50 PM
It's always fun to see a major-league hitter bail out on a pitch that ends up low and outside.

cj's dad
07-27-2010, 08:01 PM
Scheduled to start tonight vs. the Braves but he was scratched during or after his bullpen war warm-up.

JustRalph
07-29-2010, 09:35 PM

Oops.............I guess he isn't Nolan Ryan

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5419721

bigmack
08-27-2010, 11:22 AM
More like 2 months. I don't think he'll ever be what he once was after this.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/8_27_10_08_19_46.png

BillW
08-27-2010, 11:27 AM
More like 2 months. I don't think he'll ever be what he once was after this.

You are probably right. This sucks. :(

PhantomOnTour
08-27-2010, 01:10 PM
Wood, Prior, Strasbourg?

Gimme a 'crafty' Greg Maddux type over the fireballers every time.

melman
08-27-2010, 02:14 PM
Mac---I disagre. Check out the Marlins very good young pitcher Josh Johnson. Before "Tommy John" was throwing upper 90's. After Tommy John has come back just as strong if not even faster. Couple of games with the Phils he was clocked at 99 on the gun.

On Tour--Loved G Maddux as a crafty pitcher. However I'll take the fireballer like Bob Gibson any day.

BillW
08-27-2010, 02:17 PM
On Tour--Loved G Maddux as a crafty pitcher. However I'll take the fireballer like Bob Gibson any day.

That high and tight heater was an effective pitch ;) .

JustRalph
08-27-2010, 02:22 PM
I predicted two years

He didn't make much more than two months

This sucks. Terrible thing

bigmack
08-27-2010, 02:34 PM
Mac---I disagre. Check out the Marlins very good young pitcher Josh Johnson. Before "Tommy John" was throwing upper 90's. After Tommy John has come back just as strong if not even faster. Couple of games with the Phils he was clocked at 99 on the gun.

Mel, fair point though while he also had Tommy John surg, I don't believe JJ had a tear. You might be right though.

I loved Bob Gibson. :ThmbUp:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_72Fq2ASEDsQ/Sww6uLQlrsI/AAAAAAAAIGk/wq-b-7mXuZ0/s1600/RetroBob_Gibson.jpg

ldiatone
08-27-2010, 05:42 PM
gentlemen and ladies. i ask these questions. for all pitchers. does one think lowering the "mound" height has a lot to do the pitchers and their arm problems? the best ones can adapt. also, w/ all the teams is the pitching (and position players) "thinned" down". some pitchers would have always played in the minors and made a somewhat living, but w/ all the teams.....
ldiatone

cj's dad
08-27-2010, 10:23 PM
It is being reported that SS will miss the entire 2011 season. What a loss to those of us who saw him pitch every day. Tommy John surgery ?? How many have come back and done well ??

Good luck Steven !!

witchdoctor
08-28-2010, 11:20 AM
gentlemen and ladies. i ask these questions. for all pitchers. does one think lowering the "mound" height has a lot to do the pitchers and their arm problems? the best ones can adapt. also, w/ all the teams is the pitching (and position players) "thinned" down". some pitchers would have always played in the minors and made a somewhat living, but w/ all the teams.....
ldiatone

Actually lowerinng the mound decreases the strain on the arm.

Marshall Bennett
08-28-2010, 02:51 PM
It decreases the pitchers momentum towards the mound as well . MLB lowered the mound following Bob Gibson's 1.12 era and the leading batting avg. that year in the american league ( I believe 1968 ) was only .301 . Only makes sense it would decrease pressure on the throwing arm .

Robert Goren
08-28-2010, 02:58 PM
I do not remember who said it. "They had to sew a new arm on to Tommy John. They sewed Sandy Koufax's on."

turfnsport
08-28-2010, 03:34 PM
It is being reported that SS will miss the entire 2011 season. What a loss to those of us who saw him pitch every day. Tommy John surgery ?? How many have come back and done well ??

Good luck Steven !!

A lot of good pitchers have had successful TJ surgery, including Mariano Riviera, Tim Hudson, Kenny Rogers...One to keep an eye on is Jordan Zimmerman, who returned last night off a year off after TJ.

Marshall Bennett
08-28-2010, 04:48 PM
I do not remember who said it. "They had to sew a new arm on to Tommy John. They sewed Sandy Koufax's on."
Koufax kept his on ice 24/7 . :)

PaceAdvantage
08-28-2010, 04:53 PM
A lot of good pitchers have had successful TJ surgery, including Mariano Riviera, Tim Hudson, Kenny Rogers...One to keep an eye on is Jordan Zimmerman, who returned last night off a year off after TJ.Rivera never had Tommy John surgery...they were able to retain and repair the existing ligament in his elbow, but did not need to replace it, which is what happens when you have TJ surgery.