PDA

View Full Version : Synthetic To Real Dirt OR Reduced Takeout?

tbwinner
06-08-2010, 11:08 AM
If you had the option to change your local track's (or a track's that you play often/have played before) synthetic surface to real dirt or have a reduction in takeout (at that track), which would you choose?

Seems to me this would make an interesting debate, I know a lot hate the polytrack/cushion/pro-ride/synthetic/plastic, but at the same time people are always arguing for lower takeout.

If only we could have both...

Foolish Pleasure
06-08-2010, 12:14 PM
They are the same thing.

Synthetic surfaces output of pack racing has the same exact effect as raising takeout.

Have to bet more money to earn the same amount given the increased randomization of the results.

That is the same as raising takeout.

Why most don't get this is beyond me.

Going to play pretend delude bullshit nonsense,
all the while the surfaces can't separate the animals but somehow they can.

IT is an abominable joke.

gm10
06-08-2010, 03:46 PM
I can't see how there could be any question about it. Synthetic betting markets are as efficient as their dirt counterparts. In other words, the general betting public does equally well on both, so should the 'expert handicapper'. It's all about takeout in this case.

Black Ruby
06-08-2010, 03:50 PM
Lower the takeouts. I can (and generally do) choose not to play tracks with synth surfaces. Of course there's still the pain in the butt in considering a surface change from synth on the tracks I play.

serp
06-08-2010, 03:54 PM
Synthetic tracks accomplish nothing but enabling lesser sound stock to race..

I was under the impression that death rates for horses are lower on synthetic.
Am I mistaken?
Is this a can of worms?

gm10
06-08-2010, 04:05 PM
I was under the impression that death rates for horses are lower on synthetic.
Am I mistaken?
Is this a can of worms?

It's the granddaddy of cans. This thread will be full of references to Macho Again and other tomato cans before you know it.

Robert Goren
06-08-2010, 04:17 PM
Why not both?

therussmeister
06-08-2010, 07:34 PM
Have to bet more money to earn the same amount given the increased randomization of the results.

If synthetic surfaces were a randomizing factor it would show up in jockeys' and trainers' win percentages. I do not believe it does, although I haven't made a formal study.

cj
06-08-2010, 07:40 PM
If synthetic surfaces were a randomizing factor it would show up in jockeys' and trainers' win percentages. I do not believe it does, although I haven't made a formal study.

I believe synthetics make races more strategic and thus jockeys are more important, kind of like turf. Unfortunately, I'd rather bet on horses than jockeys.

Stillriledup
06-08-2010, 08:31 PM
I'll take real dirt, i have the ability to lower my own takeout if i so choose, but the dirt is something i have no control over.

mannyberrios
06-08-2010, 08:35 PM
:1: Lower the take out! As for the rubber, I guess that I will have to learn.

JustRalph
06-08-2010, 11:02 PM
I believe synthetics make races more strategic and thus jockeys are more important, kind of like turf. Unfortunately, I'd rather bet on horses than jockeys.

I agree with this. I also think it creates a real 3rd surface and cuts Sires and Bloodlines in a whole new direction. I got enough to keep track of, I don't need a 3rd surface. In fact I think it may even create a 4th and 5th Surface.

Look at the differences in Turdway, Keeneland, Arlington etc. Then throw in Hollywood and Woodbine. Those surfaces are completely different.

rastajenk
06-08-2010, 11:12 PM
I don't suppose that was a typo, was it? :)

senortout
06-08-2010, 11:31 PM
All those strongly opposed to artificial surfaces please consider the time you have spent learning the subtle differences in dirt tracks....on circuits, take LA.Downs- Evangeline- Delta- Fairgrounds.....note which horses move way up on which tracks, etc Which of the above tracks do you consider the best track on that circuit? Which minor track shippers seem to move up most at FG f'instance? Also the SAME TRACK surface (dirt now) changes drastically from day to day and even from race to race....can' t for the life of me figure why you aren't at least as put off by that as by the so called 'phony poly'!

senortout

Robert Goren
06-08-2010, 11:32 PM
I'll take real dirt, i have the ability to lower my own takeout if i so choose, but the dirt is something i have no control over. Now me, I have exactly the opposite problem. I can bet almost anywhere I like, There is only one ADW that will take my bets that offers any rebate and they are very small. There menu of tracks is doesn't include places like NYRA. The other ADW that takes my bets offers all most every track out there but no rebates. If some place like MTH can double their purses , why can't they cut their takeout in half. It would not take long for their handle to go through the roof.

SMOO
06-09-2010, 08:13 AM
:1: Lower the take out!

:ThmbUp: