PDA

View Full Version : At the Races

Tom
06-07-2010, 09:20 PM
IMHO, a stupid decision - moving to mornings, 9-noon. :bang:
At least I can save money now by canceling my XM subscription - that whole network is a waste of money and very poorly run. Run by people who have no clue what they are doing, they don't know hour to hour what is on what channel.

Sorry to miss ATR, but c'est live.....adios Steve, it was fun while it lasted.

andtheyreoff
06-07-2010, 10:01 PM
At least I can save money now by canceling my XM subscription - that whole network is a waste of money and very poorly run. Run by people who have no clue what they are doing, they don't know hour to hour what is on what channel.

Wow, the same guy who listened and quoted this show for months now decides to stop listening to it and goes on about how it sucks, even though he listened to it for months!! :bang: :bang: :bang:

Otis11
06-07-2010, 10:04 PM
At least I can save money now by canceling my XM subscription - that whole network is a waste of money and very poorly run.
No debate from me on the Sirus/XM deal. Since the merger they've gone downhill, and, I too have cancelled my subscription.

You can still get ATR via podcast for free. I download it via iTunes but there are other options to get it as well.

JustRalph
06-07-2010, 10:13 PM
It must be catching

I canceled my Xm subscription last week..........check this out......

I told them to stop it at the end of my current billing cycle. They said, no problem, June 9th it would end. I get in my truck the other day, turn it on and flip over to a channel and hit the "record" button to record a piece so I could listen to the talk show later. I get a message that says I can no longer record on the radio unless I want to "update my subscription" :bang:

With the Podcasts today......you don't need to pay to listen anymore anyway.

You can get just about anything you want free online now

I always listen to Byk via the net.....and I really really like Byk...... I have to say that I only do on big days now. The format for the show has to be tweaked a little. The same people over and over again..........come on ? And that Damn Johnny V ? or is it Johnny D ? enough already!!!

Otis11
06-07-2010, 10:22 PM
...I told them to stop it at the end of my current billing cycle....
After trying for two months to cancel I finally called my credit card company and told them to refuse any more charges.

Tom
06-07-2010, 10:35 PM
Wow, the same guy who listened and quoted this show for months now decides to stop listening to it and goes on about how it sucks, even though he listened to it for months!! :bang: :bang: :bang:

Do you read English?
Doubtful.

Try again...it's only Monday.
Maybe by Friday you will have a clue. :lol:

philcski
06-07-2010, 10:55 PM

I agree. Steve is a good friend, and I love the show, but clearly XM/Sirius has their heads up their asses. They probably lose my business after this. I'll listen to ATR on the Internet or replay.

andymays
06-08-2010, 09:21 AM
STEVE BYK OFF AIR WHILE UNDER CONTRACT NEGOTIATIONS

http://www.paulickreport.com/blog/steve-byk-off-air-while-under-contract-negotiations/

egreen
06-08-2010, 09:37 AM
Not sure what is to be negotiated. Byk either takes the new time slot or not. Sirius doesn't pay for programming like that and only gets a bit of revenue from whatever commercial time it sells on its own breaks.

jballscalls
06-08-2010, 09:50 AM
I always flip to ATR when Bubba the Love Sponge is on commercial, now will just have to switch to ATR when Howard is on commercial. love Sirius!

xfile
06-08-2010, 10:02 AM
I've had a Sirius subscription since day 1 but I just can't get into horse racing radio. Maybe it's overkill. I listen to Howard Stern, Bubba The Love Sponge, Octane, Siriusly Frank Sinatra - that's about it.
http://www.fullcardreports.com/images208/cbig.gif

098poi
06-08-2010, 11:12 AM
Kind of a drag to hear this. I can not listen from 9-12 but if they have the replay from 6-9 I can listen on the way to work.

JustRalph
06-08-2010, 01:21 PM
Not sure what is to be negotiated. Byk either takes the new time slot or not. Sirius doesn't pay for programming like that and only gets a bit of revenue from whatever commercial time it sells on its own breaks.

you mean to tell me Byk is not getting paid by Sirius ? I did not know that....

egreen
06-08-2010, 04:53 PM

Sirius doesn't pay content providers, other than those like Stern that it hires to boost subscribers. Shows like ATR get half of the breaks to generate commercial revenue but SIRIUS runs its own spots in the other breaks. Good business plan. They fill lots of time, hardly pay for any of it and potentially make some money if they can sell any of that time.

philcski
06-09-2010, 12:10 AM

That is correct. Any money he makes from the show is from selling ad time.

JustRalph
06-09-2010, 01:10 AM
Thanks.......

Tom
06-09-2010, 07:36 AM
I have a 35-40 minute drive home everyday, and it occurred to me last night that about half of that time is commercials, on a service I pay for.

That made up my mind to drop the whole danged thing. Ridiculous waste of money. Dish goes next if they don't replace TVG and HRTV with something remotely related to horse racing. Send in complaints.....I have.

Racing is a very hard game to support. I find myself hating it more and more every day and playing less and less every month.