PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Ice Box

46zilzal
06-07-2010, 02:58 PM
He displaced his soft palate, a pathology that really has no human counter part so I found a good explanation here.

http://evrp.lsu.edu/healthtips/DDSP.htm

kenwoodall2
06-07-2010, 03:14 PM
Is there supposed to in-race evidence of this? The jockey did not notice. KD the excuse was a bum trip. I see flipped palate once in a while for lack of energy, and to explain to the owner what happened.

46zilzal
06-07-2010, 03:26 PM
http://www.nyra.com/belmont/stories/Notes060610.shtml

westny
06-07-2010, 06:28 PM
From DRF:

"Zito said Ice Box, who ran poorly as the favorite in the Belmont, displaced his palate while not adjusting to the warm, humid conditions".

"The heat got to him," Zito said. "It was all anxiety. If you can't breathe completely going a mile and a half, you're not going to run. He came back sound."

sonnyp
06-07-2010, 06:33 PM
From DRF:

"Zito said Ice Box, who ran poorly as the favorite in the Belmont, displaced his palate while not adjusting to the warm, humid conditions".

"The heat got to him," Zito said. "It was all anxiety. If you can't breathe completely going a mile and a half, you're not going to run. He came back sound."

i'm an x trainer and this statement is made with a sense of sometimes there just is no answer.

flipped his pallet (no blood, no mucuss, no noise, no irritation, not entrapped). which of the 1,000 excuses trainers tell owners after the race is this one ?

compared to the mystery of big brown's lack of performance....this was no big deal.

46zilzal
06-07-2010, 06:35 PM
i'm an x trainer and this statement is made with a sense of sometimes there just is no answer.

flipped his pallet (no blood, no mucus, no noise, no irritation, not entrapped). which of the 1,000 excuses trainers tell owners after the race is this one ?
If you were the examining vet, you might have a point,,,,BUT these people were there.

sonnyp
06-07-2010, 06:39 PM
If you were the examining vet, you might have a point,,,,BUT these people were there.

their public statements said exactly what i stated. im going by what THEY said.

46zilzal
06-07-2010, 06:46 PM
QUOTE:

“Ice Box, we scoped him after the race and he was clean. He had no blood, and no mucus,” Zito said. “However, he did displace, he flipped his palette. He’s an excitable horse – he’s a Pulpit, he’s out of a Tabasco Cat mare. It was very, very hot down here, we didn’t catch a break that way. The last two days he was ready to explode, he was ready to do something, and he probably left his race somewhere else other than the track.

Rise Over Run
06-07-2010, 06:51 PM
This happens more often than you think, you just don't hear about it with the 10k claimers running around. When a horse comes back to the unsaddling area with a displaced palate you can usually detect it, especially the worst cases. It would be similar to a 1,000 pound human snoring.

When it happens once, it can happen again, or the horse might try to avoid the discomfort by essentially holding it's breath. Sometimes a myectomy will work, sometimes it won't. I wouldn't play this horse going forward one way or another.

only11
06-07-2010, 07:51 PM
memories of Dollar Bill

thespaah
06-07-2010, 08:05 PM
He displaced his soft palate, a pathology that really has no human counter part so I found a good explanation here.

http://evrp.lsu.edu/healthtips/DDSP.htmvery informative..
I worked with horses in the racing business many years ago. I was always under the impression that horses could NOT breathe through their mouth. I stand corrected.
Question: was Ice box equipped with a toungue tie?

onefast99
06-07-2010, 09:17 PM
This happens more often than you think, you just don't hear about it with the 10k claimers running around. When a horse comes back to the unsaddling area with a displaced palate you can usually detect it, especially the worst cases. It would be similar to a 1,000 pound human snoring.

When it happens once, it can happen again, or the horse might try to avoid the discomfort by essentially holding it's breath. Sometimes a myectomy will work, sometimes it won't. I wouldn't play this horse going forward one way or another.
I had a horse named Maddy's Lion, he had a breathing problem. You never knew if he would run a 101 beyer or a 50 beyer. He snorted in the mornings while galloping and we went easy on him when it was insanely hot like it was on Saturday. He had a tie back performed about three years ago before I got him and it didn't hold like most don't. I recently had one done on another horse at New Bolton, Dr Parente uses a double stitch technique which is suppose to last a lot longer, unfortuneately it didn't hold either and the stress of racing made it worse. There are documented cases where the tie back procedure does work but for the $3k I will never do it again on one of my horses.

kenwoodall2
06-08-2010, 05:45 PM

http://evrp.lsu.edu/healthtips/DDSP.htm
Thank you for the info- I have not read up on it since Gill did Myectomies on his and was accused of cheating.
Yes, intermittent is possible.

phatbastard
06-08-2010, 05:53 PM
maybe as many suspected......Ice Box simply isn't that good