PDA

View Full Version : Mandurah-World Record at Mile Turf

Niko
06-07-2010, 12:30 AM
I'm not sure if it's still standing and the clock was right-but a new WORLD record at a Mile on the Turf. Runs the 1/2 in 44.3 and then pulls away after that to stop the clock at 1.31!! Are you frickin kidding me. I know it was the horses first race on turf but come on...

I don't know the class of the horse when it first started but last 2 wins in PP's were in clm 7500 and alw7500. Even if the clock wasn't right the race and winning lengths were impressive given the competition and how the horse looked on paper relative to it.

I've noticed a few performances that were odd from a winning standpoint at Monmouth prior to today--how visually impressive the horses were running and the length of victory. This race topped it off.

Jackie Oh in the 4th fit the mold today also-maybe they just put one over on that one. I'm surprised all the time by horses that pop and win, just typically not as big as I'm seeing at Monmouth. Can't see it after the race either looking at trainer patterns, work-outs, race shapes etc.... How do they do it?

Most races seem fine but I'm very leery of Monmouth right now. Still picking my spots though..

Hanover1
06-07-2010, 12:32 AM
Did I read correctly? 7500 claimer?

Hanover1
06-07-2010, 12:33 AM
I'm not sure if it's still standing and the clock was right-but a new WORLD record at a Mile on the Turf. Runs the 1/2 in 44.3 and then pulls away after that to stop the clock at 1.31!! Are you frickin kidding me. I know it was the horses first race on turf but come on...

I don't know the class of the horse when it first started but last 2 wins in PP's were in clm 7500 and alw7500. Even if the clock wasn't right the race and winning lengths were impressive given the competition and how the horse looked on paper relative to it.

I've noticed a few performances that were odd from a winning standpoint at Monmouth prior to today--how visually impressive the horses were running and the length of victory. This race topped it off.

Jackie Oh in the 4th fit the mold today also-maybe they just put one over on that one. I'm surprised all the time by horses that pop and win, just typically not as big as I'm seeing at Monmouth. Can't see it after the race either looking at trainer patterns, work-outs, race shapes etc.... How do they do it?

Most races seem fine but I'm very leery of Monmouth right now. Still picking my spots though..
Guy must live next door to Lou Pena.......

Spalding No!
06-07-2010, 12:38 AM
Coincidentally, the horse is a full brother to multiple Grade 1 winner Flashing.

menifee
06-07-2010, 12:45 AM
Wow if that time holds up, he beat the track record by a full second. Imagine if you are the owner, you just discovered this 6 year old 7500 claimer you have been training and running on dirt and polytrack is a complete monster on turf. Unfortunately he is a gelding.

It looks like the turf was playing very fast, but that is still impressive. Amazing things can happen when you let a speed horse get to the lead and keep running.

kenwoodall2
06-07-2010, 02:14 AM
That horse needs to donate his "lucky horseshoes" to auctioin for retired racers!

andymays
06-07-2010, 07:34 AM
I'm guessing they were expecting rain yesterday and didn't put any water on either the main track or the turf course for the last couple of days. Christina Olivares mentioned something about it.

Monmouth screwed up by not watering either surface and the result was a main track that was very slow and a turf course that was very fast. How fast would the top milers in the country have gone?

Mandurah was bred to be a good one and it's odd that they never tried turf before.

PP's attached.

smartybadger
06-07-2010, 08:52 AM
Can the Monmouth clock when they're on the turf be trusted at all? Does anyone remember the Precious Passion fiasco last year when they had him running the United Nations in 2:10 4/5 and the first quarter in 19 4/5? We had multiple people on this board who clocked it at about 2:13-2:14. I'm not buying this at all.

Stevie Belmont
06-07-2010, 09:17 AM
Monmouth Park has a fast turf course. It's also a new course. It was put in before the Breeders' Cup. Little or no rain make it even faster.

Get Serious snapped that track record and broke it again. And that was broken not too long after he did it.

1st time turf to boot to break the world record. Anyway you look at--the horse liked the turf--would you say?

Have a feeling this track record will be snapped again.

Gorgeous George
06-07-2010, 09:28 AM
Showa Modern won the Yasuda Memorial in Japan yesterday in a time of 1:31.70. The race is 1 mile left handed.

Niko
06-07-2010, 10:00 AM
Can the Monmouth clock when they're on the turf be trusted at all? Does anyone remember the Precious Passion fiasco last year when they had him running the United Nations in 2:10 4/5 and the first quarter in 19 4/5? We had multiple people on this board who clocked it at about 2:13-2:14. I'm not buying this at all.

That was my thought, looking for feedback from others that have insight.
Still can't believe the time and winning margin at that level, even if it's a second off.

Love to hear from some figure makers and clockers to get their opinions.

cj
06-07-2010, 11:15 AM
The track was scorching fast and the run up was very long, 80 feet I think. The Beyer probably will be mid to high 90s.

nearco
06-07-2010, 11:38 AM
Showa Modern won the Yasuda Memorial in Japan yesterday in a time of 1:31.70. The race is 1 mile left handed.

No, it's 1600m, which is a tad shy of 1 mile, about 9 meters I believe.

Btw, Mandurah did not set a WORLD record, it's an American record. The world record is 1m30.9sec

BlueShoe
06-07-2010, 01:14 PM
The course may have been billiard table hard, but that was still a very impressive performance by Mandurah. By comparison, two races later Two Notch Road also went end to end over the turf to become a repeat winner of the young meeting. This was a much tougher field, a second level allowance, but the fractions were much softer and the winner had to work hard to hold the lead until the wire.

Scanman
06-07-2010, 01:43 PM
I'm guessing they were expecting rain yesterday and didn't put any water on either the main track or the turf course for the last couple of days. Christina Olivares mentioned something about it.

Monmouth screwed up by not watering either surface and the result was a main track that was very slow and a turf course that was very fast. How fast would the top milers in the country have gone?Glad to see someone mention Monmouth's failure to water the course. With the level of weather technology available, the track super blew it. It was irresponsible for Monmouth to let horses run on a grass track listed as "Hard". I wonder how Mandurah's shins feel this morning; as well as all the others that ran on that concrete.

JeremyJet
06-07-2010, 02:03 PM
The track was scorching fast and the run up was very long, 80 feet I think. The Beyer probably will be mid to high 90s.

cj,

They gave him a 103 BSF.

Regards,

JeremyJet

andymays
06-07-2010, 02:12 PM
I was guessing about 94 but 103 is too high in my opinion.

The run up was 80 and the rail at 12ft.

onefast99
06-07-2010, 02:35 PM

Even with the rail out at 12' how much more can this turf course take if not properly watered. I don't think it will last long.

andymays
06-07-2010, 02:36 PM
Even with the rail out at 12' how much more can this turf course take if not properly watered. I don't think it will last long.

They're only running three days a week. There shouldn't be a problem.

JeremyJet
06-07-2010, 02:40 PM

I don't know. The figs fall in place nicely when you work your way back off the 103.

Obviously, the raw time isn't indicative of his true ability, but he did win by 8 lengths, running a new lifetime top. It will be interesting to see what they do with this horse moving forward.

Regards,

JeremyJet

onefast99
06-07-2010, 02:52 PM
They're only running three days a week. There shouldn't be a problem.
Don't forget horses in a stakes race can use the turf course also!

Scanman
06-07-2010, 03:38 PM
It will be interesting to see what they do with this horse moving forward.He's very useful and I would think they'll keep him in Starters or try him in a N2X. He's definitely the type who likes "to hear his feet rattle". I just hope he came back okay. The condition of the track couldn't have done him any favors for the immediate future.

cj
06-07-2010, 07:56 PM
I don't know. The figs fall in place nicely when you work your way back off the 103.

Obviously, the raw time isn't indicative of his true ability, but he did win by 8 lengths, running a new lifetime top. It will be interesting to see what they do with this horse moving forward.

Regards,

JeremyJet

I did forget to include that Beyer uses the artificial adjustment of using the 6.5f beaten lengths adjustment for routes. Even so, the runner up Isittruemossy has 14 lifetime starts, 5 on turf, with a career top of 78. His figure for this race based on a the 103 would be 84. I'm not sure I believe he ran a new six point top getting drilled by 8.5 lengths.

The third place horse, Fastus Cactus would get a 78 or 79. His career top (twice) was an 80, both easy front running wins on turf. I definitely don't believe he basically matched his top chasing a runaway winner and folding up late.

So, that is how I came up with the high 90s. It isn't a big difference, but I think it is 5 or 6 points too high. I'll be curious to see how the other turf route compares to this one. The "standard" Beyer speed chart does not apply to Monmouth turf routes as an FYI...maybe you knew this already. Due to runup the mile chart doesn't reward faster times quite as much at Monmouth. It is generally in the 6 to 10 point range.

Grits
06-07-2010, 10:42 PM
Having been at Belmont all week, I went down to Monmouth yesterday afternoon--no Sunday racing at Big Sandy, so we drove down to watch some races at the shore. (Having never been, it was a fine facility. A lovely one, except for their infield tote board.)

Watching the race, not only did this gelding look GOOD, he looked GOOD doing it. True, the record may not hold for long, true the turf was hard, but this guy was rolling yesterday afternoon. He was out front from the moment the gate flew. He looked like his tail and his feet were on fire. I was stunned, given his lowly place on the ladder, when Larry Collmus announced . . . . the possibility, then, the confirmation. Yes, he'd broken the record.

Neither Brad Thomas or Tom Cassidy had him in their three picks.

The program's race review comment from Cassidy:

MANDURAH: This gelding is out of a Group 3 winner in France. His pedigree suggests he will take to the turf and he will likely flash early foot from the gate.

(His last race was the final one on the card on Arkansas Derby Day. I don't recall it . . . . don't know if anyone else in "our group" does either, though its rare these days to see anything running 1 3/4 mile.)

Needless to say, "flash early foot" yesterday, he did.

cj
06-07-2010, 11:28 PM
Having been at Belmont all week, I went down to Monmouth yesterday afternoon--no Sunday racing at Big Sandy, so we drove down to watch some races at the shore. (Having never been, it was a fine facility. A lovely one, except for their infield tote board.)

Watching the race, not only did this gelding look GOOD, he looked GOOD doing it. True, the record may not hold for long, true the turf was hard, but this guy was rolling yesterday afternoon. He was out front from the moment the gate flew. He looked like his tail and his feet were on fire. I was stunned, given his lowly place on the ladder, when Larry Collmus announced . . . . the possibility, then, the confirmation. Yes, he'd broken the record.

Neither Brad Thomas or Tom Cassidy had him in their three picks.

The program's race review comment from Cassidy:

MANDURAH: This gelding is out of a Group 3 winner in France. His pedigree suggests he will take to the turf and he will likely flash early foot from the gate.

(His last race was the final one on the card on Arkansas Derby Day. I don't recall it . . . . don't know if anyone else in "our group" does either, though its rare these days to see anything running 1 3/4 mile.)

Needless to say, "flash early foot" yesterday, he did.

You've seen his last two wins in person. How many people can say that?

Grits
06-08-2010, 08:45 AM
This is true. And now, this makes me special.:lol:

As far as the record--don't believe 5 patrons at Monmouth could've cared. Except for maybe the guy in front of me, who thought the program had a missprint insisting his races at Oaklawn were on the turf.

"No, I was there, sir. Oaklawn has no turf. None.":lol: He was further upset with himself by having missed the "house handicapper's" comment.

On the other hand, of note. The paddock is beautiful. Its next to the joint where I paid $27.95 for two crabmeat burgers and two ice teas. And folks think NYRAs taking them to the cleaners?:faint:

There was jazz in the backyard, there were plenty of folks grilling at picnic tables. There were a gazillion things going on for children. Plenty of folks milling around enjoying themselves--everywhere.

Still, I kept thinking, where are all of these people wagering, they don't have racing programs or DRFs in their hands.

Again, beautiful place. But the purses aren't drawing the crowds, the jazz and the grilling are, along with those pricey crabcakes maybe.

joanied
06-08-2010, 04:04 PM
I am still looking for a replay...I want to see this gelding do his thing...I went to the Monmouth web site. Here's a link to the story:

http://www.monmouthpark.com/News.aspx?id=3056

Well bred gelding...by AP Indy out of a French Group 3 winner.

picojim
06-08-2010, 05:00 PM
video is here
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/57386/mandurah-sets-world-record-for-mile-on-turf

joanied
06-08-2010, 06:52 PM
TVGfan Thank you very much :ThmbUp: On the race & the horse...WOW!!

alhattab
06-08-2010, 10:28 PM
This is true. And now, this makes me special.:lol:

As far as the record--don't believe 5 patrons at Monmouth could've cared. Except for maybe the guy in front of me, who thought the program had a missprint insisting his races at Oaklawn were on the turf.

"No, I was there, sir. Oaklawn has no turf. None.":lol: He was further upset with himself by having missed the "house handicapper's" comment.

On the other hand, of note. The paddock is beautiful. Its next to the joint where I paid $27.95 for two crabmeat burgers and two ice teas. And folks think NYRAs taking them to the cleaners?:faint:

There was jazz in the backyard, there were plenty of folks grilling at picnic tables. There were a gazillion things going on for children. Plenty of folks milling around enjoying themselves--everywhere.

Still, I kept thinking, where are all of these people wagering, they don't have racing programs or DRFs in their hands.

Again, beautiful place. But the purses aren't drawing the crowds, the jazz and the grilling are, along with those pricey crabcakes maybe.

Accurate depiction of a typical Monmouth weekend, although the Jazz and Blues was a special event. And maybe I'm jaded, but that crabcake deal doesn't seem all that bad to me if the crabcakes are any good (I've heard they are but haven't tried them myself).

I'm curious of your perception of the real horseplaying crowd, other than the idiot claiming OP had a grass course. From what I can tell Monmouth has a pretty good base of relatively young players. I'm 41 and am about the median age of the crowd I hang out with there. Monmouth has a strong community following- these are the "lapsed players" management referred to when they announced the changes in the meet. I think some of these kids you see having catches in the picnic area turn out to be horseplayers in the future.

And Grits that is pretty impressive that you were physically present for this horse's last two wins. Congrats on this important milestone.

Niko
06-09-2010, 12:08 AM
Btw, Mandurah did not set a WORLD record, it's an American record. The world record is 1m30.9sec

just going by what I had heard...

Grits
06-10-2010, 10:01 AM
I'm curious of your perception of the real horseplaying crowd, other than the idiot claiming OP had a grass course. From what I can tell Monmouth has a pretty good base of relatively young players. I'm 41 and am about the median age of the crowd I hang out with there. Monmouth has a strong community following- these are the "lapsed players" management referred to when they announced the changes in the meet. I think some of these kids you see having catches in the picnic area turn out to be horseplayers in the future.

What I noticed that was most interesting about Monmouth, Alhattab, was its vast size. And how well taken care of it is. Its a beautiful place, and a track everyone might enjoy going to. Its old, its historic, and the folks in NJ should be extremely proud they have such a facility.

One problem they have though--their infield is without a jumbotron to see the race, and their tote board is horrendous. Its absolutely horrible. Its the one fault I found. Its not good for horseplayers. Or fans--even those not betting. Rather than allowing so much more in purses for horsemen, some of that money would be far better spent in making improvements in this area. Starting with tearing down and redoing the toteboard.

I paid close attention to the crowd, and yes, the median age may be forty, or even a little less. Lots of couples with small children in strollers as well. Lots of twenty something guys at the machines betting.

Of course, one has to move about the entire plant to see the ontrack patronage. Its cavernous!!! And in being so, I was continuously coming to another teletheatre. This surprised me; there were several. And there were bettors in each one with their own tvs at their cubicles with comfortable chairs, etc. Everything they needed in front of them. The majority of these betters were older gentlemen.

On the apron benches, the crowd was much younger. In the grandstand, where I chose to sit, after entering through the clubhouse, the crowd was middle aged.

It was a fine afternoon, an easy drive down the Garden State Parkway, (a road that is a welcome break from the heavily traveled NJT I'm usually driving) and a track that is a great choice for racing and betting. I'd think its probably shoulder to shoulder on Haskell weekend. Probably a fun time, too.

I've not watched Monmouth handle while in NY last week. Ontrack attendance from what I could see, still, may have to increase a good amount to meet those increased purses.

Hopefully, there will be many in the picnic area who, between eating burgers and watching horses run, will grow up to continue going to the track after learning to handicap from their dad (or their mom.)

nearco
06-10-2010, 01:41 PM

just going by what I had heard...

Yeah, even the Bloodhorse and DRF are calling it a World record. However in Jul 26th 1990 Chase the Door ran a one mile in 1m 30.9 sec at Brighton.
http://www.horseracing.co.uk/racecourses/brighton.html

Brighton Racecourse has also played host to two world records; Blink Gelding breaking the record over ¾ mile in 1929, and more recently Chase The Door's record breaking 1990 performance of 1:30.9 over a mile.

Here's the official race result (http://www.racingpost.com/horses/result_home.sd?race_id=101002&r_date=1990-07-26&popup=yes).

Nicolas Goddfrey raises the issue in his recent blog (http://www.racingpost.com/blog/horse-racing/nicholas-godfrey/your-heads-too-big-and-your-bellys-too-big-but-i-love-you/726599/) .....

Anyway, this unfortunate fondness for the oversell reared its ugly head again this week when various US news sources reported that a six-year-old named Mandurah had broken the world turf mile record at Monmouth Park on Sunday.

Don't be misled. He probably hadn't. Or he had, but only if the world doesn't exist outside the United States.