PDA

View Full Version : O's win O's win

cj's dad
06-06-2010, 07:31 PM
Break a 10 game losing streak and the first win for new manager for Juan Samuel.

It was reported in the Baltimore Sun that the O's were considering hiring Rick Dempsey ('83 World series MVP) as an interim manager but the GM Andy Mc Phail reportedly would resign if Dempsey were given the job. Boy, that would have been a huge loss.

A great Rick Dempsey story from his managerial days in Puerto Rico-

from the following article:
Bakersfield is not Dempsey's first crack at managing. He was an interim manager while playing in Puerto Rico in the early '80s.

On his team was a fellow named Mike Dupree.

Ask Dupree about Dempsey's other side. The competitive side.

Dupree was a pitcher. And, at the time, not a very good one. It seemed to Dempsey that the team was usually leading when Dupree came in and trailing by the time he came out.

Once, after the pitcher had again been racked, Dempsey mentioned that trend to another teammate as they trotted off the field.

Dupree overheard and responded by taking off his glove and throwing his best fastball at Dempsey's head as the two headed toward the dugout.

As usual, his effort was a little off. Dupree's glove skinned Dempsey's cheek.

"I remember turning toward him and he was right in my face," Dempsey says. He is fairly certain Dupree's recollection ends there too.

"I hit him," Dempsey says. "One punch. The all-time greatest punch. It was a reaction, but what a punch. It felt like I hit whipped cream."

http://articles.latimes.com/1993-08-13/sports/sp-23523_1_rick-dempsey

Rookies
06-07-2010, 09:27 PM
You were right about them, D.

They suck as badly as when I saw them in March !