PDA

View Full Version : Cafe owner in town asks police officer to leave

jballscalls
06-06-2010, 10:04 AM
http://www.oregonlive.com/opinion/index.ssf/2010/06/post_66.html

Portland PD has been under serious fire lately for a rash of shootings on their part here in town. most have been "P on B" (CJ's Dad can translate that if you dont know what it means) and a couple have been towards mentally ill folks, or MIF.

i found this article interesting because I talked to some people at the track yesterday about it and they all thought the business owner was justified and could serve whoever they want. I asked 'well isn't that discrimination?" and one guy said yes, but the police deserve it. I then asked "what if i owned a cafe and refused to serve you because your old, or because your black" he said that would be my right.

now i have to think if this were a race issue the other way around, people in Portland would be going nuts! Race is a huge deal around here to the lefties, but only when it goes from W to B, not from B to W

rastajenk
06-06-2010, 10:11 AM
There are blacks in Portland? I thought that's why the city is so liberal: They can deal with race issues theoretically, without the interjection of reality into their worldviews. ;)

WeirdWilly
06-06-2010, 11:05 AM
Myself, I can relate to being uncomfortable around the police.

When I was seven years old, I was spending the night at my grandparents. My idiot uncle had robbed a gas station, and the police burst in the house.

My waking memory was of a cop pointing a gun at my face and screaming. Imagine if I had flinched the wrong way.

In hindsight, I can understand the cops needing to secure such a situation. Nevertheless, going through that means I am nervous around LEOs. After all, their very existence is to deal with bad, sometimes evil, people and events, so their presence tends to indicate something unpleasant, to say the least, is going on.

However, in the case of these radical hipper-than-thou poseurs, they are running a business that sells to the public and advertises their (so-called) tolerance. It's easy to be "tolerant" of people you like. But the real meaning of tolerance is putting up with people you DON'T like.

cj's dad
06-06-2010, 11:51 AM
Not sure about P on B; I think I know.

I do know however what PB & J is.

JustRalph
06-06-2010, 01:18 PM
Let's hope he doesn't get robbed or have a fire.

It might take a while to get there................

Robert Goren
06-06-2010, 01:21 PM
Somethings are just plain wrong. This is one of them.

jballscalls
06-06-2010, 02:07 PM
Not sure about P on B; I think I know.

I do know however what PB & J is.

Police on Black

pb and J, a timeless duo!

PhantomOnTour
06-06-2010, 02:12 PM
I thought PB & J was Police on Blacks & Jews :lol:

GaryG
06-06-2010, 03:23 PM
Let's hope he doesn't get robbed or have a fire.

It might take a while to get there................No, let's hope that he does. Sorry for your loss sir, someone will be right out, between 10 and 3 tomorrow, if it doesn't rain.