PDA

View Full Version : Durkin's Belmont call

The Hawk
06-05-2010, 10:23 PM
That was just awful at the wire.

tzipi
06-05-2010, 10:29 PM
Didn't really hear it as I was too into the race watching it but just going on youtube and watching it again, I agree not his best call ever. It seems he just got caught up looking for the right words to match up for the wire call. Oh well, Toms allowed a mediocre one after all the greats over the years. :ThmbUp:

Bullet Plane
06-05-2010, 10:29 PM
Somebody in the racebook was yelling, "Calvin done it again! Calvin done it again!" I guess he couldn't see the saddlecloth very good. Maybe it had something to do will the call. Not sure, couldn't hear it over the yelling.

jballscalls
06-05-2010, 10:37 PM
total shot in the dark here, but looked like the sun and shadows made it difficult to see in deep stretch.

i've heard that FG and i think Pim are also really hard to call down the stretch late in the day

Spalding No!
06-05-2010, 10:41 PM
Sounded to me like he was trying to catch his breath or got tongue tied. Riight before the fiasco it sounded like he thought Drosselmeyer was coming with a winning move.

Edward DeVere
06-05-2010, 10:45 PM
Oh well, Toms allowed a mediocre one after all the greats over the years. :ThmbUp:

Precisely how many mediocre ones is he now allowed?

horses4courses
06-05-2010, 11:29 PM
My immediate reaction as they crossed the line was that TD missed Fly Down.

Horse finished big, clear as day, to finish second, and Durkin called him 4th or 5th past the wire.

Not a good race for Mr. D.....but he has earned a free pass, or two.

A valid excuse might have been that he was still in shock on learning that ABC had totally bogarted the Manhattan........

smartybadger
06-05-2010, 11:38 PM
Disappointing, but the sun will rise again tomorrow.

Robert Goren
06-05-2010, 11:55 PM
Maybe he had a small shot of what Hank was drinking.:rolleyes:

bobbyt62
06-06-2010, 12:49 AM
happy days had many fans, too, right up 'to the end.

Jasonm921
06-06-2010, 12:52 AM
The call was very good until the final 3 seconds....I think he has sayings for each horse prepared in case they win and it sounded like he was going to say the First Dude "prepared statement" but then realized oh sh!t not the right horse. On the flipside his True North call was very good.

Bruddah
06-06-2010, 01:03 AM
During the call of the race, I remember thinking, how nice it was to be able to understand his call. He did miss a step at the end, all in an effort to Jazz up the finish, and got little tongue tied or winded.

While not an A effort, it still was a solid B+. Also, he had called many races to that point and sounded a little tired. Give me Durkin's calling versus the Euro's with their nasal twangs. I can never figure out what they are saying through out thier race calls. (JMHO)

Rico8812
06-06-2010, 09:18 AM
Did he throw in a "Deputy" right before the wire? WTF was that?

It kinda reminds me of when Dave Johnson was losing his skills. Sad to hear.

BELMONT 6-6-09
06-06-2010, 09:23 AM
Maybe he had a small shot of what Hank was drinking.:rolleyes::lol: :lol: :lol:

craigbraddick
06-06-2010, 10:10 AM
During the call of the race, I remember thinking, how nice it was to be able to understand his call. He did miss a step at the end, all in an effort to Jazz up the finish, and got little tongue tied or winded.

While not an A effort, it still was a solid B+. Also, he had called many races to that point and sounded a little tired. Give me Durkin's calling versus the Euro's with their nasal twangs. I can never figure out what they are saying through out thier race calls. (JMHO)

Nasal twangggggggg......nasal twangggggggggggggg.......I don't have a nasal twanggggggggg. I speak from the diaphragmmmmmmmmmmm (and other orifices dependingggggggggg on who you askkkk.) ;)

On a serious note, I thought Mr. Durkin's call of the Belmont was excellent for the most part. He told the story of the race and just getting a little tongue tied at an unfortunate moment will no doubt irritate him greatly.

Its not my place to give advice to such an accomplished racecaller, especially when I am leagues behind him but when I was a kid and my mentor in the business was about Mr. Durkin's age he started running into similar problems towards the end of big races, especially on busy days. His solution was to slow it down just a tad towards the end of a race and adopt a "less is more' attitude with his vocal delivery.

The result was he enjoyed probably the best calls of his career at an age when he could easily have been written off as being past it. I am sure Mr. Durkin will find a way that will suit him and he will continue to give first class calls as long as he feels he is capable of doing so.

Craig

Buckeye
06-06-2010, 10:17 AM
some of you are "nuts" Durkin called the winner in the "shadow of the wire." What else should he have done?

thaskalos
06-06-2010, 10:32 AM

While not an A effort, it still was a solid B+. Also, he had called many races to that point and sounded a little tired. Give me Durkin's calling versus the Euro's with their nasal twangs. I can never figure out what they are saying through out thier race calls. (JMHO) Give me the "nasal twangs" anytime...

They are not "Euro's", by the way...Trevor is from South Africa, and Michael Wrona is Australian...

Buckeye
06-06-2010, 10:56 AM
I knew that. Point is Durkin made a decent call of the Belmont. Way better than I could or you could do. And away they go. Not flying but not crawling. Whatever. In the shadow of the wire he called the winner.

The Hawk
06-06-2010, 12:37 PM
some of you are "nuts" Durkin called the winner in the "shadow of the wire." What else should he have done?

What should he have done? He should have called the race that was happening on the racetrack, as opposed to the one in his imagination (and apparently yours).

Here's the transcript of the last sixteenth or so:

"First Dude is...DEPUTY!...on the outside here....here at the wire...is Drosselmeyer."

Now, the "Deputy" part is, well, hard to figure, to put it nicely. But the other problem is that Drosselemeyer was already passing First Dude at the point where "DEPUTY" was blurted out. The call made it seem like he caught him on the wire. He never mentioned the winner until he was clear of First Dude, when it was clear he was running past him. Durkin just yelled "DEPUTY!" But, that's fine, he calls other races, and gets them right.

In fact, maybe randomly shouting "DEPUTY!" during the race will catch on, used in place of an exclamation point:

"And here comes Zenyatta, rolling on the far outside. DEPUTY! Look at her go!"

thaskalos
06-06-2010, 12:51 PM
If it was Trevor Denman that gave a call like that, he would be vilified by 80% of the posters. It's Durkin...so now the call is "a solid B+", or, even if the call was not up to par..."He was probably tired after a long day..."

As if they run Triple Crown races every day...

cj
06-06-2010, 01:34 PM
If it was Trevor Denman that gave a call like that, he would be vilified by 80% of the posters. It's Durkin...so now the call is "a solid B+", or, even if the call was not up to par..."He was probably tired after a long day..."

As if they run Triple Crown races every day...

It was really bad, no doubt. But Durkin has been maligned here at least as much as Denman, probably more.

cj
06-06-2010, 01:35 PM
In fact, maybe randomly shouting "DEPUTY!" during the race will catch on, used in place of an exclamation point:

"And here comes Zenyatta, rolling on the far outside. DEPUTY! Look at her go!"

Ok, that is hilarious. I can't stop laughing when I read it.

thespaah
06-06-2010, 01:49 PM
That was just awful at the wire.
Ok..Please elaborate. Tell us in specifics what is is you do not like about the call.
And while we're at it, WTH difference does it make?!!!!

thaskalos
06-06-2010, 01:51 PM
Ok..Please elaborate. Tell us in specifics what is is you do not like about the call.
And while we're at it, WTH difference does it make?!!!! Read post #19

thespaah
06-06-2010, 01:53 PM
Read post #19
Ok I see it..Durkin made an error getting caugh up in the moment.
Now, let's take him out back and shoot him.
Christ's sake.:bang:

thaskalos
06-06-2010, 01:55 PM
It was really bad, no doubt. But Durkin has been maligned here at least as much as Denman, probably more. And deservedly so!

thespaah
06-06-2010, 01:55 PM
Ok.. For all you armchair QB's who like to take shots at track announcer errors do this;...grab a tape recorder, sit down in front of the tv and try calling a race yourself.

thaskalos
06-06-2010, 02:08 PM
Ok.. For all you armchair QB's who like to take shots at track announcer errors do this;...grab a tape recorder, sit down in front of the tv and try calling a race yourself. For free?

thespaah
06-06-2010, 02:09 PM
For free?yeah..no charge.

castaway01
06-06-2010, 02:11 PM
As far as Durkin, the news flash is: "Human beings still human, film at 11."

thespaah
06-06-2010, 02:13 PM
As far as Durkin, the news flash is: "Human beings still human, film at 11."Correct. Thank you.

banacek
06-06-2010, 02:16 PM
Well, I thought it was a poor call. The chart says Drosselmeyer "surged to the front inside the sixteenth pole and edged away with the rider switching to the right hand whip for the final seventy yards". He seemed to miss that Drosselmeyer was leading until he noticed right at the wire.

thaskalos
06-06-2010, 02:19 PM
"Furlong after powerful furlong"... it was a very forgettable call...

Pace Cap'n
06-06-2010, 03:56 PM

Perhaps it's time to just forget it, then.

thaskalos
06-06-2010, 04:00 PM
Perhaps it's time to just forget it, then. Forget what? :rolleyes:

smartybadger
06-06-2010, 04:54 PM
I don't know what the critics here are trying to accomplish. There are a few facts to consider:

1. There is no doubt he was prepared for the race
2. Nobody likely feels worse about it than he does

So, I just don't see the point here. If this was a question of him not being prepared for the race then fine, but I can assure you he was and that he takes his job seriously. Everyone has a rough day at the office. Let's move on.

Stillriledup
06-06-2010, 04:54 PM

Winded? I didnt' realize announcers had to run the NYC Marathon before calling a race.

Stillriledup
06-06-2010, 04:57 PM
Ok.. For all you armchair QB's who like to take shots at track announcer errors do this;...grab a tape recorder, sit down in front of the tv and try calling a race yourself.

This is not the point. Durkin is being paid good money to get it right. WE are not being paid good money and we don't have 40 years of training doing this on a daily basis. Grabbing a tape recorder is one thing, practicing this stuff every day for 40 years is another.

Stillriledup
06-06-2010, 04:58 PM

I bet First Dude and knew that as soon as he started complimenting Dude for having a long stride, powerful, i knew i was done.

And, i was right.

All Durkins fault. :D

thaskalos
06-06-2010, 05:03 PM
I don't know what the critics here are trying to accomplish. There are a few facts to consider:

1. There is no doubt he was prepared for the race
2. Nobody likely feels worse about it than he does

So, I just don't see the point here. If this was a question of him not being prepared for the race then fine, but I can assure you he was and that he takes his job seriously. Everyone has a rough day at the office. Let's move on. We talk about everything else...but the announcers should be off limits?

We didn't crucify the guy...we just said he blew the call.

No one can afford to be sensitive in this business...horseplayers and announcers included.

Stillriledup
06-06-2010, 05:06 PM
We talk about everything else...but the announcers should be off limits?

We didn't crucify the guy...we just said he blew the call.

No one can afford to be sensitive in this business...horseplayers and announcers included.

Yes, everyone gets sensitive, they all start saying "well, can YOU do better".

I guess i'm not allowed to criticize an NBA player because i can't grow 10 inches overnight and 'see if i can do better"?

The 'can you do better' people don't realize that we are not trained and PAID to get it right. If i had 40 years of daily training i have no doubt that i'd be able to do an adequate job. If i tried it tomorrow, i have no doubt that it wouldnt sound too good.

Tom
06-06-2010, 05:41 PM
"Furlong after powerful furlong"... it was a very forgettable call... Especially seeing there were only 11 furlongs like that. :D

Rico8812
06-06-2010, 11:36 PM
DEPUTY!

The Tioga Team
06-06-2010, 11:54 PM
Durkin has given me plenty...the best.

I did fell a bit robbed when he didn't seize the opportunity to bellow...

"...two Dudes"

somewhere along the stretch. JMO.

CincyHorseplayer
06-07-2010, 01:38 AM
Jesus H Christ are you kidding me??

Horseplayers won't bet on everything but they "WILL" bitch about anything.

One of the most amusing times I've ever had at the track was back in 1997 during a massive rainstorm.Standing at a urinal looking across the street at a steep hillside,trees were sliding down into the parking lot.We sat there and bet on trees sliding down the hillside for nearly an hour before we were cleared out.It was great and profitable fun!!!!!!

Point being??

We pi$sed and bet,not pi$sed and moaned:lol:

It is a true story though.

PaceAdvantage
06-07-2010, 12:26 PM

"And here comes Zenyatta, rolling on the far outside. DEPUTY! Look at her go!"I was literally laughing out loud while reading the above...I just laughed out loud again while reviewing this reply before hitting the submit button...if there was an award for funniest horse racing post of the year around here, I would think yours would be a five star lock...

Stevie Belmont
06-07-2010, 12:47 PM
I have yet to watch the replay. I will do do later.

His True North call was awesome. Bribon!!

shouldacoulda
06-07-2010, 01:17 PM
I was there and couldn't hear or see a thing other than the old ladies (I'm 50 ) standing on the bench in front of me and everyone screaming. I actually only just heard it for the first time. I think he may have meant that First Dude was deputy to Dosselmeyer. He definitely gets excited when he calls a race. That's what I like about him. Or maybe Deputy is his word for Oh Sh*t! Either way I think he is a great announcer.

The Hawk
06-07-2010, 02:29 PM
Thanks Pace, and CJ. If I win the award I hope to be able to come up for a day and accept it at your annual Saratoga getaway trip.

Believe me, if I had to name the best racecaller of my lifetime it would be Durkin, but he hasn't been great for quite a while. The guys who think this is a one-time incident just aren't listening that closely, though this call was especially embarrassing, and on national tv.

Market Mover
06-07-2010, 02:38 PM
Ok, that is hilarious. I can't stop laughing when I read it.

This "Deputy" scenario is indeed priceless..

v j stauffer
06-07-2010, 02:49 PM
I was literally laughing out loud while reading the above...I just laughed out loud again while reviewing this reply before hitting the submit button...if there was an award for funniest horse racing post of the year around here, I would think yours would be a five star lock...

Does this mean when I use that Sunday I have to pay a rights fee?

rastajenk
06-07-2010, 02:50 PM
:D :D We'll all be on the edge of our seats waiting for it. You can't disappoint now.

thaskalos
06-07-2010, 02:52 PM
Does this mean when I use that Sunday I have to pay a rights fee? Vic...you wouldn't dare...:)

v j stauffer
06-07-2010, 03:06 PM
Vic...you wouldn't dare...:)

I've actually been thinking for a month about what to say. Nothing. Any ideas?

firstoffclaim
06-07-2010, 03:16 PM
too many D's for Tommy D, Dudes,Drossels,Deputies,Downs. He's still the greatest.

George Sands
06-07-2010, 03:36 PM

Yes, announce the race without trying to draw attention to yourself.

FenceBored
06-07-2010, 03:44 PM

If/when Zenyatta wins Sunday she breaks a major logjam at 16 consecutive wins for a major stakes horse. Vic is right to want to tastefully memorialize that in the call.

Therefore, he won't give in to those who suggest something about her "getting a Citation," "smoking a Cigar," or ... nope, not doing anything with Mister Frisky.

joanied
06-07-2010, 03:56 PM
I couldn't figure what in hell "deputy" was all about...but now, I don't care...because now it's just damned funny:lol: I'd bet Durkin has listened to his call and is wondering why did he say that :confused:

I love Durkin...I even enjoy his calls through the years better than I did Cappy's calls...and Dave Johnson (when he was in his prime)...but, this one, he messed up...I think he was sure First Dude was going to win, then maybe his mind kinda blanked out for a 1/5th of second...but, I forgive him...he really is an all time great...deputy:jump:

v j stauffer
06-07-2010, 04:06 PM

Wow, That hurts. I don't believe I do that. You're entitled to your opinion. Thanks for listening.

OTM Al
06-07-2010, 04:26 PM

You posted something like this before Vic and I wondered why then. Memorable calls can't be planned I don't think. They would sound too false to make them enduring. You just can't plan the excitement. Best calls in sports are those that come as a result of what you have seen. Why create some false image of the thing before it happens and try to make it fit? I think you do a good job. I think you'll find the words when the time comes.

thaskalos
06-07-2010, 04:40 PM
Tell it like it is Vic...as always. Just make sure you don't get caught up in euphoria, and end up using words like "superstar" or "superhorse" when describing Zenyatta.

No sense upsetting PA, CJ, and some of the other members on this board...:)

PaceAdvantage
06-07-2010, 05:02 PM
No sense upsetting PA, CJ, and some of the other members on this board...:)You are indeed a strange one with a strange, yet all too familiar agenda.

andymays
06-07-2010, 05:11 PM
Tell it like it is Vic...as always. Just make sure you don't get caught up in euphoria, and end up using words like "superstar" or "superhorse" when describing Zenyatta.

No sense upsetting PA, CJ, and some of the other members on this board...:)

If St Trinians goes in the race Vic might just be calling Zenyattas first loss. I guarantee you the connections think they can beat her.

thaskalos
06-07-2010, 05:18 PM
You are indeed a strange one with a strange, yet all too familiar agenda. Is Cj the only one allowed to make jokes on this board? What is my "strange and familiar" agenda? Do you figure that I am a Zenyatta stockholder, and I am actively trying to boost her share value?

You attack me after I finally figured out how to place the "smiley" face on my posts?

jballscalls
06-07-2010, 05:19 PM
You posted something like this before Vic and I wondered why then. Memorable calls can't be planned I don't think. They would sound too false to make them enduring. You just can't plan the excitement. Best calls in sports are those that come as a result of what you have seen. Why create some false image of the thing before it happens and try to make it fit? I think you do a good job. I think you'll find the words when the time comes.

generally you get in trouble if you rely on the right words to come right in that moment, because if two phrases pop in your head, your screwed.

do you think "unconquerable, unbeatable, unbelievable Cigar" was thought up right on the spot? or "Bernardini didnt break a sweat and it was 90 degrees" or "there's the real Zen Master" or "he's moving like an eagle, he's moving like a bald eagle"

most calls like that are planned ahead for sure, you have to plan ahead.

BluegrassProf
06-07-2010, 05:22 PM
You attack me after I finally figured out how to place the "smiley" face on my posts?I wouldn't worry...given all the suuuuuuper ridiculousness coming from some folks here (look thru the latest RA/races thread for some recent high-quality asshattery), it's probably a bit of sensitivity. :ThmbUp:

v j stauffer
06-07-2010, 07:12 PM
generally you get in trouble if you rely on the right words to come right in that moment, because if two phrases pop in your head, your screwed.

do you think "unconquerable, unbeatable, unbelievable Cigar" was thought up right on the spot? or "Bernardini didnt break a sweat and it was 90 degrees" or "there's the real Zen Master" or "he's moving like an eagle, he's moving like a bald eagle"

Sharp post

Show Me the Wire
06-07-2010, 07:45 PM
Difficult to plan for a dull, anti-climatic race filled with slow horses, eh?

InsideThePylons-MW
06-07-2010, 07:48 PM

That was Durkin's strategy and we got Deputy! which made it memorable.

v j stauffer
06-07-2010, 07:50 PM
Difficult to plan for a dull, anti-climatic race filled with slow horses, eh?

A chance to see one of the all time greats win her 17th straight is dull and anti climatic?

Who do you like in the World Cup?

InsideThePylons-MW
06-07-2010, 07:50 PM
.if there was an award for funniest horse racing post of the year around here, I would think yours would be a five star lock...

Seconded

Show Me the Wire
06-07-2010, 07:53 PM
A chance to see one of the all time greats win her 17th straight is dull and anti climatic?

I was talking about the Belmont and the resulting race call. Sorry for the confusion.

I am expecting a fantastic finish and call for the Vanity

BluegrassProf
06-07-2010, 07:56 PM
A chance to see one of the all time greats win her 17th straight is dull and anti climatic?Certainly will be for some of us.

OTM Al
06-07-2010, 07:58 PM

Ok, I understand how much work goes into the job, unlike those who think he works only about a half hour each day, but prepackaged calls just sound phony to me. You want the epitome of that, just listen to John Sterling doing Yankees games with his ridiculous home run calls. Honestly though, if you do come up with something clever, Vic, save it for a better race if you think you may get the chance. On paper this doesn't look like a race in which superlatives belong. She's great, but I don't think the race will be.

Stillriledup
06-07-2010, 08:06 PM
I was literally laughing out loud while reading the above...I just laughed out loud again while reviewing this reply before hitting the submit button...if there was an award for funniest horse racing post of the year around here, I would think yours would be a five star lock...

I agree, this is very funny stuff from Hawker, I believe Deputy will catch on!

Vic? :lol:

thespaah
06-07-2010, 08:09 PM
Does this mean when I use that Sunday I have to pay a rights fee?:lol:

thespaah
06-07-2010, 08:13 PM

most calls like that are planned ahead for sure, you have to plan ahead.Oh yeah..I learned this. When your voice is going out to the public, rule number one is PREPARE.

Stillriledup
06-07-2010, 08:14 PM
Vic, i know its a highly unlikely scenario, but have you really thought about your call if she loses?

I know that if i owned the horse who beat Zenyatta, i would want the call to be about ME and my horse and not about some other horse who lost.

I think the key to a great call if Zenyatta loses is to somehow give tribute to the winner while not hearing sadness in your call that zenyatta has lost.

I know its almost sacrilige to even suggest she might lose, but if she keeps racing, it might happen 'just because' horses arent machines.

On the other hand, its a fine line, you can't be TOO excited if Zenyatta loses either.

Tough position to be in, calling such an important race in racings history.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDJD_jjvqRk

joanied
06-07-2010, 08:18 PM

Have you been thinking of what you will call when Zenyatta crosses the wire with #17...seems that 17th win is the hardest of all...Citation & Cigar both got skunked...it's going to be an historical moment (regardless of her competition)...and I do wish you best of luck with your words...just keep your mind from going 'deputy' ;)

thaskalos
06-07-2010, 08:24 PM
Vic, i know its a highly unlikely scenario, but have you really thought about your call if she loses?

I know that if i owned the horse who beat Zenyatta, i would want the call to be about ME and my horse and not about some other horse who lost.

I think the key to a great call if Zenyatta loses is to somehow give tribute to the winner while not hearing sadness in your call that zenyatta has lost.

I know its almost sacrilige to even suggest she might lose, but if she keeps racing, it might happen 'just because' horses arent machines.

On the other hand, its a fine line, you can't be TOO excited if Zenyatta loses either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDJD_jjvqRk Thanks for the youtube link Stillriledup...

Classic Trevor...

v j stauffer
06-07-2010, 08:29 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDJD_jjvqRk

Wow. I wasn't nervous till this post. Should be fun.

Pace Cap'n
06-07-2010, 09:38 PM
"She has cleared the field and under the wire with her record 17th straight comes the migHTY ZENYATTA...DEP-I-TEE, DEP-I-TEE, DEP-I-TEE!"

banacek
06-07-2010, 09:43 PM
Well, I'm glad you all find this funny..as someone who had 100 bucks to win on Deputy, I certainly don't.

SmartyParty
06-07-2010, 10:35 PM
I was there and couldn't hear or see a thing other than the old ladies (I'm 50 ) standing on the bench in front of me and everyone screaming. I actually only just heard it for the first time. I think he may have meant that First Dude was deputy to Dosselmeyer. He definitely gets excited when he calls a race. That's what I like about him. Or maybe Deputy is his word for Oh Sh*t! Either way I think he is a great announcer.

Me too.

letswastemoney
06-07-2010, 11:07 PM
What will Vic say if St. Trinians wins?

Is St. Trinians supposed to represent some saintly Christian figure???

"A miracle is in the works....St. Trinians WINS over Zenyatta."

Short and simple :)

cj
06-07-2010, 11:29 PM
What will Vic say if St. Trinians wins?

Is St. Trinians supposed to represent some saintly Christian figure???

"A miracle is in the works....St. Trinians WINS over Zenyatta."

Short and simple :)

How about...Zenyatta closing too late...DEPUTY...St. Trinians in front.

banacek
06-07-2010, 11:40 PM
Okay, I might have figured this Deputy thing out. Did Durkin call the 2000 Kentucky Derby (won by Fusaichi Pegasus)? If so, the 2nd favourite,"The Deputy", finished 14th. Perhaps he had the "Deputy" call all planned in 2000 and since he never got to use it then..........

thaskalos
06-07-2010, 11:44 PM
Okay, I might have figured this Deputy thing out. Did Durkin call the 2000 Kentucky Derby (won by Fusaichi Pegasus)? If so, the 2nd favourite,"The Deputy", finished 14th. Perhaps he had the "Deputy" call all planned in 2000 and since he never got to use it then.......... Either that...or he is an "Andy Griffith Show" fan...

JustRalph
06-07-2010, 11:51 PM
Did anybody else hear Durkin scream Deputy....... and think to themselves "who the hell is Deputy?" I did...........and I said it out loud..........

The other Day I think I was watching Delaware park or Colonial and a horse named "Man of Faith" won. The announcer called him taking the lead late in the stretch and winning across the wire in a cadence I can only describe as the kind you would hear in a Southern Church by a Baptist preacher ....... it took me a second but I got it and it was a great call......... I am sure that was planned............

thaskalos
06-08-2010, 12:00 AM
He probably had something memorable planned for the occasion, but got over-excited at the wire and completely forgot what it was. The unfortunate thing is that he not only blurted out "deputy"...he picked up on the winner too late...and he didn't correctly identify the place horse.

cnollfan
06-08-2010, 12:03 AM
The other Day I think I was watching Delaware park or Colonial and a horse named "Man of Faith" won. The announcer called him taking the lead late in the stretch and winning across the wire in a cadence I can only describe as the kind you would hear in a Southern Church by a Baptist preacher ....... it took me a second but I got it and it was a great call......... I am sure that was planned............

I noticed that too. I think it was Dave Rodman at Colonial.

letswastemoney
06-08-2010, 01:54 AM
I would laugh so hard if I did hear Vic use "Deputy" during the Vanity...

But I realize this would be too unprofessional for him to use.

InsideThePylons-MW
06-08-2010, 02:26 AM
http://rlv.zcache.com/i_love_my_deputy_tshirt-p235006811787559982yqlp_400.jpg

PaceAdvantage
06-08-2010, 03:57 AM
You attack me after I finally figured out how to place the "smiley" face on my posts?Attack you? What? Did you already forget how to "smiley face?"

098poi
06-08-2010, 07:52 AM
Vic you have two options.

If Zenyatta wins you say, "This is quite belieeeevable!!"

If Zenyatta loses you say, "This is unbelieeeevable!!"

bobbyt62
06-09-2010, 11:22 PM
i have felt that durkin is not a top guy for a long time, and i posted such here and elsewhere. i can see that if you like a "show biz" call, you'd like him---remember "arrrrrr" (the aqu/bel horse)....i am not a fan of callers who are INTENTIONALLY trying to be cute and dramatic...i'd rather have almost any of the african /english/australian guys that call in the usa. they pick up almost everything thats going on and note it, get dramatic when it's the natural outflow of the race, and actually call the ENTIRE FIELD under the wire. information , for me, is number 1. the guy at mnr, for one, is good for my requirements. gets a zinger in once in a while, but never at the expense of the race.........a while back, in a stretch duel , he noted that "so and so" is staying like a mother in law, and continued with the call for the field and under the wire. trvor is good, so is vic, the guy in no cal is good. there are plenty of good ones, in fact. but tom ain't one of them unless you live for cute stretch calls.