PDA

View Full Version : Uptowncharliebrown DQ'd

Figman
06-05-2010, 08:06 PM
When was the last time you saw this happen?
Uptowncharliebrown finished fifth in the Belmont Stakes but was DQ'd and placed last by the stewards for finishing with less weight than he started with.

andymays
06-05-2010, 08:08 PM
When was the last time you saw this happen?
Uptowncharliebrown finished fifth in the Belmont Stakes but was DQ'd and placed last by the stewards for finishing with less weight than he started with.

I got dq'd on a winner at 11-1 when the jockey weighed out light years ago.

slew101
06-05-2010, 08:11 PM
If he hit the board, don't they go official before they weigh in? So the bettors would not have been affected, right?

judd
06-05-2010, 08:32 PM
how do they lose weight--large crap ? :lol:

Stillriledup
06-05-2010, 08:37 PM
The chart says the 8 lb weight pad fell off down the backstretch.

andymays
06-05-2010, 08:39 PM
I got dq'd on a winner at 11-1 when the jockey weighed out light years ago.

http://articles.latimes.com/1990-10-16/sports/sp-2438_1_california-horse

Excerpt:

Allijeba, the only horse Allensworth owns, beat Tex's Zing by a nose. After the race, the weight of Ricky Frazier, Allijeba's jockey, and his riding equipment totaled 123 1/2 pounds, which was 2 1/2 pounds less than the horse was required to carry.

Besides disqualifying Allijeba, the stewards also declared him a non-starter, which resulted in a refund of bets on the horse.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.seattlemet.com/arts-and-entertainment/category/sporting-events/articles/0808-horseracing/?print=1

Excerpt:

But outside the winners circle there were rumblings among the stewards. Something was wrong. Frazier stood on the scale for his postrace weigh-in and clocked in at three pounds less than he had before the race—123 pounds instead of 126. The jockey couldn’t explain the discrepancy. The stewards made a decision: Frazier and Allijeba were disqualified. The victory was Tex’s Zing’s. The track refunded money to everyone who bet on Frazier’s mount. He hadn’t cheated, he said. He’d had no contact with his tack between weigh-ins. Some other factor was at play—variation in the scales, weight lost after sweating through a race, or the saddle cloth was switched between weigh-ins. Besides, he had no incentive for cheating; as everyone in racing knows, a weight discrepancy between weigh-ins is cause for automatic disqualification. Unconvinced, race officials hit him with a six-month suspension. He fled California.

It didn’t matter. Six weeks later stewards at Fair Grounds in New Orleans pulled Frazier from a race. As long as he was suspended in California, no track in the country would let him ride. He took his case to court and convinced a judge that there were many other factors that could’ve led to the weight discrepancy. The judge reduced his penalty from suspension to probation, which allowed Frazier to race. But his reputation was tarnished, his life in a tailspin. In 1992 he won fewer than 50 races, his worst record since his first season. Roy Frazier’s son considered giving up horses for good.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't remember the refund but I know he was 11-1. All I remember was punching a door at the old Del Mar track where they held the satellite wagering back then. Things happen. You never know when the racing gods are going to crap all over you. This is one of many for me.

Stillriledup
06-05-2010, 08:39 PM
Could you imagine if he had won, what kind of controversy this would have caused. wow.

andymays
06-05-2010, 08:44 PM
Could you imagine if he had won, what kind of controversy this would have caused. wow.

I had him boxed with Fly Down and in tri's and supers but couldn't use Drosselmeyer.

Stillriledup
06-05-2010, 08:49 PM
I had him boxed with Fly Down and in tri's and supers but couldn't use Drosselmeyer.

Me too. Drossel hurt me. I had all the others, i make a nice score betting against the favored Zito if Mikey EARL Smith doesn't do me there.

My bad, i should have found a way to use him instead of using the 9 horse with Garcia.

andymays
06-05-2010, 08:53 PM
Me too. Drossel hurt me. I had all the others, i make a nice score betting against the favored Zito if Mikey EARL Smith doesn't do me there.

My bad, i should have found a way to use him instead of using the 9 horse with Garcia.

I didn't like him last time and I didn't think he had any trouble to speak of so I couldn't use him today. I thought Fly Down was the horse. He got bumped a little at the start and I thought Velasquez could have ridden him a little more aggressively in the stretch. I haven't watched the replay again yet.

tzipi
06-05-2010, 09:21 PM

Didn't think of that but that would've been a mess for Belmont.

Stillriledup
06-05-2010, 09:36 PM
Didn't think of that but that would've been a mess for Belmont.

Would have been a nightmare the last thing they need is this kind of publicity.

andymays
06-06-2010, 11:51 AM
Trainer takes blame for Uptowncharlybrown DQ

http://www.drf.com/news/article/113652.html

Excerpt:

"It's the ultimate responsibility of the trainer," McLaughlin said. "When the valet came out for the race, everything was in a nice, neat package - the shammy, the weight pad, the saddle towel, and the saddle. I should have made sure we put everything on one piece at a time. During the race, the saddle stayed in place. But the pad slid right off his back. Rajiv told me he knew when and where it happened.

"I'm just glad for two things. One, that no other horse was injured. And two, that we didn't win. I've never been so glad not to win a Grade 1. It would have been horrendous."

FenceBored
06-06-2010, 12:15 PM
What does it say about UptownCharlieBrown that even with the dropped ballast he couldn't finish better than he did?

(Hey, somebody had to ask.)

my_nameaintearl
06-06-2010, 12:57 PM
it probably hurt him more then it helped losing the weight.

Tom
06-06-2010, 01:12 PM
TVG just showed a video of it fall off - right in the path of a lot of horses.
Lucky there was not an accident or breakdown.

GARY Z
06-06-2010, 01:37 PM
Based upon the misfortunes of this racing team losing its trainer,
and the emotional interview with Mr. Seewald's widow, it is
a blessing this horse didn't win the Belmont.

That said, how does the trainer deal with this issue,as fifth place
paid 30k to the owners..

Stillriledup
06-06-2010, 04:47 PM
TVG just showed a video of it fall off - right in the path of a lot of horses.
Lucky there was not an accident or breakdown.

Now, i wonder, if this pad hit another horse, do they refund all the money from the bettors who had that 'bothered' horse? Or, do they just say "tough luck, try better next time"?

Vinman
06-07-2010, 11:11 AM
I was just going through Friday's Wall Street Journal, which I hadn't yet read, and on the first page of the Greater New York section (page A21) is a beautiful, large color photo of a horse out for a workout. The caption on top of the photo reads "On a Foggy Morning in Elmont, Preparing for the Belmont Stakes."

If "Charly's" managing partner, Bob Hutt, saw the caption below the photo, I'm sure he was none too pleased to read....."Downtowncharlybrown, with exercise rider Alfredo Clemente Jr, gallops on Thursday at Belmont Park Racetrack. The 142nd running of the Belmont Stakes is Saturday".

First the WSJ can't get the horse's name right, then the weight pad falls out during the race for a loss of 30 grand in purse $$$ (he finished 3 3/4 lengths in front of 6th place finisher Stay Put).

What next?

Vinman

PhantomOnTour
06-07-2010, 05:25 PM
Rajiv Maragh said he knew when the lead slipped. Should he have pulled up at that point knowing he would be DQ'd and to save the wasted energy? Do you think he has some 'splainin to do?

joanied
06-07-2010, 05:35 PM
Rajiv Maragh said he knew when the lead slipped. Should he have pulled up at that point knowing he would be DQ'd and to save the wasted energy? Do you think he has some 'splainin to do?

I kinda thought the same thing (it really is damned lucky it didn't hit a horse, or that a horse didn't step on it...and shame on Karian (spelling?) for screwing up the saddleing)...
but, if Maragh had pulled up, everyone would have thought the horse broke down, so I am glad he didn't do that...maybe what he should have done was just quit riding, let the horse fall back and finish off the board.

andymays
06-07-2010, 05:35 PM
He said he felt the saddle move forward a little but didn't know what happened when it happened.

joanied
06-08-2010, 09:05 AM
He said he felt the saddle move forward a little but didn't know what happened when it happened.

Oh...I guess I maybe mis read it...Kirian said that he said he knew "when it happened"....guess he meant the slipping, not that the weight dropped.
Anyway you look at it...bummer!

Greyfox
06-08-2010, 10:39 AM
I kinda thought the same thing (it really is damned lucky it didn't hit a horse, or that a horse didn't step on it...

I hope that they've picked that weight up. My pick is still running and I wouldn't want him to step on it. ;)

SMOO
06-08-2010, 10:50 AM
fifth place
paid 30k to the owners..

Like being taken placed last after winning a 50K race.

Stillriledup
06-13-2010, 01:48 AM
Based upon the misfortunes of this racing team losing its trainer,
and the emotional interview with Mr. Seewald's widow, it is
a blessing this horse didn't win the Belmont.

That said, how does the trainer deal with this issue,as fifth place
paid 30k to the owners..

Could you imagine. The widow crying, the emotional outpouring in the winners circle would be off the charts....and then......inquiry.

TheBid9
06-13-2010, 08:54 AM
If McLaughlin faces any stewards' action for the slip up?

Rackon
06-13-2010, 12:32 PM
What does it say about UptownCharlieBrown that even with the dropped ballast he couldn't finish better than he did?

(Hey, somebody had to ask.)

Stumbled at the start, saddle slips and jock ends up around neck for 2/3rds of race, trapped down inside - most tiring part of a slow track - still only 3 lengths off the winner in a grade 1 at a mile and a half.

The weight wasn't that big a factor, everything else was.

I'd say Charly is a nice racehorse. Maybe not a superstar - but how many are.

Steve Haskin apparently agrees with me.

Space Monkey
06-13-2010, 07:13 PM
I agree with you too, Rackon. I was just about to post everything you mentioned. Rajiv kept him down on the deep rail so he wouldn't endanger the others. While everybody is focused on the weight, the saddle slipping was the most dangerous situation in the race. From what I've learned it was a NYRA valet that put the Best Pad together. How could he possibly forget to attach the velcro? I don't get it. There is some negligence on Kiaran's part. Nothing to be fined or suspended for (he was cleared by the stewards), but nothing should be taken for granted. I think Kiaran made the mistake of ASSUMING, everything was in order.

andymays
06-23-2010, 03:40 PM
Uptowncharlybrown's owners appeal Belmont DQ

http://www.drf.com/news/article/114119.html

Excerpt:

NYSRWB rule 4036.3 states, in part, that "if a jockey shall ... be more than one pound short of his weight or if he be guilty of any fraudulent practice with respect to weight or weighing ... his horse may be disqualified."
Murphy maintains that since there was no fraudulent misconduct in this situation, the stewards could have decided not to disqualify him.
"If ever there was a case where discretion should be used it should have been used in this case," Murphy said.

Spalding No!
06-23-2010, 05:07 PM
Uptowncharlybrown's owners appeal Belmont DQ

http://www.drf.com/news/article/114119.html

Excerpt:

NYSRWB rule 4036.3 states, in part, that "if a jockey shall ... be more than one pound short of his weight or if he be guilty of any fraudulent practice with respect to weight or weighing ... his horse may be disqualified."
Murphy maintains that since there was no fraudulent misconduct in this situation, the stewards could have decided not to disqualify him.
"If ever there was a case where discretion should be used it should have been used in this case," Murphy said.
They want the purse money back, and separately also want their starting fee refunded.

Does that make sense?

Spalding No!
06-23-2010, 05:09 PM
Never mind. I read it wrong.

It's either/or.

Sorry for any confusion.

kenwoodall2
06-23-2010, 07:44 PM
"“I would assume that (jockey) Rajiv (Maragh), when given the choice of saddles, opted for the smaller saddle, but according to him no one at NYRA told him of the potential consequences. He had no idea that the Best Pad could slip out, resulting in a disqualification, or that it had happened before. If Rajiv had been made aware of his options and if he had known all the other jockeys in the Belmont Stakes were not using eight-pound Best Pads he, too, would have opted for the larger saddle and carried less of a Best Pad.”
Sounds like Maragh picked the saddle.

Stillriledup
06-24-2010, 02:01 AM
So its NOT an automatic DQ.

I think the distance being a mile and a half and him getting to race with 118 it wouldnt be fair to the owners of the 6th place finisher if they got their purse money taken away and given back to these people.

Tough call, but i'd say the DQ was legit.