PDA

View Full Version : Evaluating race class

andicap
08-27-2001, 05:13 PM
I'm always looking for real quick down and dirty ways to evaluate how competitive a race was. Did a horse beat anything? One way that's been discussed here is Beyer ratings of the horses involved. But even that takes time to compute and you need the DRF.

How about the overall record (or turf record) of the horses? I was looking at a race from last week where a horse was coming out of MSW into NW1 -- normally a tough beat -- and the rest of the field was 4 for 50 on the turf. Real weak field.

Anyone ever try this or anything similar?
Record with some average earnings formula (That's easy to calcuate -- time is of the essence in doing several cards)

so.cal.fan
08-27-2001, 10:23 PM
We're all looking for that, Andy.
todaysracingdigest.com. has a pretty good system, you can check it out free in the week in review. They have a class rating and rate the strength of the fields. So. Cal only, however.
I really don't think there is an easy way to do it, sorry to say.
I think you have to know the horses on your circuit really well, know where they belong. The best way is to see what they can beat. You need result charts to do that.
I don't like average earnings methods, because some places are inflated and it doesn't reflect the real deal.

BIG HIT
08-28-2001, 09:33 AM
HI agian their is a article on something like that on randy giles site that might interest you.I think the guys name was fink check out you might like it he was a guess writer

ceejay
08-28-2001, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by andicap
Record with some average earnings formula (That's easy to calcuate -- time is of the essence in doing several cards)

Andy,

I do $/start as a quick broad brush. I do make some allowances to downgrade for state-bred funds.

The method works very well for me with quarterhorses. It can also point out some plays at the very cheap TB tracks (BRD, for example). Often the method just shows you the favorite but sometimes, it can identify some "back class" at a price.

Tom
08-28-2001, 01:28 PM
andicap,

do you use the BRIS class ratings at all?
I think they have a race rating for each race run. I used their ACL class rating for a while, this was average of last three races, but was horse-based. Race Ratings I think is race based.
Tom

GR1@HTR
08-28-2001, 01:38 PM
I enjoyed using the CR and RR is the BRIS PP when I was using them...Very nice ratings.

Moe Mony
08-29-2001, 12:11 AM
In weak turf fields, check out its.data's turf breeding ratings by Dan Serra, take the top 2 ratings, and seperate by whatever you use as a seperator. But I doubt if you use its.data.