PDA

View Full Version : No 50 cent minimum on MTH Pick 5 offered at NYRA

Vinman
06-04-2010, 09:32 PM
With the Saratoga meet not too far off, I thought I'd just confirm that NYRA is indeed taking the Monmouth Pick 5 at the 50 cent minimum, as I plan on playing it when I'm at the SPA. So today I placed a phone call to the NYRA mutuel Dept.

Indeed, NYRA is NOT offering a 50 cent minimum wager on the MTH pick 5. In fact, the gentleman I spoke with from the NYRA mutuel Dept told me that other than 10 cent Superfecta wagers, the minimum wager NYRA offers is a dollar. Unbelievable.

This info, incredibly, is correct. Because during the 2009 Gulfstream meet I tried to make a wager on the Gulfstream 50 cent Pick 4 on a self-service machine at Aqueduct......and it was rejected. No luck with a live teller either. I was able to get the wager in by calling a friend, who was able to make the bet for me at the 50 cent minimmum via his phone account....not a NYRA Rewards account.

Now here's the good news for SPA bound players who want to play the Monmouth Pick 5. I also called the mutuel folks at Saratoga Gaming & Raceway, aka the Harness track, just a few furlongs down Nelson Ave from "The Spaaaahhh". I confimed that they take the Monmouth Pick 5 at the 50 cent minimum. In fact, they confirmed it by running a test ticket. Now that, ladies & gentlemen, is customer service.

By the way, I also called Yonkers Raceway and confirmed with their mutuel manager that they offer the 50 cent minimum on the Monmouth Pick 5....at their self-service machines only....but at least they offer it.

As for NYRA, is there an excuse in the world for their not offering a 50 cent anything....on any track??

Is there another track in the US that turns a completely blind eye to 50 cent wagers? I doubt it.

Vinman

OTM Al
06-04-2010, 11:03 PM
Yeah, there's an excuse. It involves what they are allowed to do by the racing and wagering boad. But ever since they created AIDS they have been to blame for all the world's ills.

Vinman
06-05-2010, 07:25 AM
OTM....

I can understand it if NYRA cannot offer a 50 cent Pick 4, Pick 5, etc on their own races because the NY State Racing & Wagering board won't approve it for whatever reason. BTW, in May of '09 I sent NYRA a lengthy letter advocating a number of wagering menu changes, including the above two. I eventually received a letter from one of the top two execs at NYRA in acknowledgement. When I finally followed up a few months ago after being more than patient all winter about getting a final response, I was told there would not be any changes to the NYRA wagering menu this year. NY State Wagering board approval, or lack thereof, was never mentioned as an issue.

To finish my point, even if the NY board does not approve changes on NYRA's own menu, I do not believe for a second that NYRA would be prohibited from offering a 50 cent minimum wager on any other track because of a Board decision. As cited in my initial post, Yonkers Raceway takes the 50 cent minimum on the Monmouth Pick 5.

Finger Lakes, obviously a NY track, offers their own 50 cent Pick 4. I doubt that they're required to impose a $1.00 on track minimum because the NY Wagering Board requires them to.

I'm sure NYRA's tote company, United Tote, has the capability to program wagers at the 50 cent level, since NYRA is not their only client.

So if we eliminate the NY State Racing & Wagering Board and United Tote as possible reasons why there are no 50 cent minimum wagers available at NYRA tracks, what's left? Anyone?

Vinman

Immanuel Kant
06-05-2010, 09:52 AM
Is there another track in the US that turns a completely blind eye to 50 cent wagers? I doubt it.

While not in the US...Woodbine turns that completely blind eye to wagers from other tracks that do not conform to the minimum amounts available at WO. They also adjust take-outs on wagers that do not conform.