PDA

View Full Version : Jim Gaffney dies

tucker6
06-04-2010, 07:30 PM
From the DRF:

Jim Gaffney Sr., the regular exercise rider of champion Thoroughbreds Secretariat and Riva Ridge, died on Thursday from pneumonia. He was 75.

Gaffney lived in Commack, N.Y. In addition to being the exercise rider, he worked as a mutuel clerk at the New York Racing Association from 1957 until 2000 when he retired.

Gaffney exercised horses for many years - and got on Northern Dancer, Spanish Riddle Angle Light and Fort Marcy - but retired after Secretariat retired in 1973.

"It was hard to top that for $2 an hour," said Gaffney's son, Jim Gaffney Jr.

Zippy Chippy
06-04-2010, 10:26 PM
I was very lucky to meet thus Guy in 2008. I bought a Secretariat bobblehaead at the 2008 Belmont. Jim gaffney and turcotte signed it. This might be pathetic to most people but it was the highlight of my sports life. I was in tears literally. Anything Secretariat kills me.

Cardus
06-04-2010, 11:17 PM
I posted a link to a recent article published about Gaffney a few weeks ago.

It didn't garner much attention.

jognlope
06-05-2010, 10:47 AM
It made me tear up. On OTB channel just now they were showing Sec's 1973 Belmont. Of course I can't not cry when I watch it. Then they announced Gafney's dying. That made me very sad. Maybe he should have talked about it or written a book. For some reason, his story goes untold?

joanied
06-05-2010, 11:34 AM
http://www.paulickreport.com/blog/nack-celebrates-the-life-of-jimmy-gaffney/

Above is the article by Nack on Gaffney...I never did see the article that was posted here a few weeks ago, if I had, I woulda read it...but now, maybe folks will take notice.
It made me very sad to read of his passing, and I hope he's been reunited with the great horse, Lucien, and Eddie Sweat (his passing was also very sad, Eddie was a true gentelman and one of the nicest men I knew at Belmont)...

I feel so sad that Gaffney won't be here for the movie release, but happy he was able to be apart if it's production.
May he rest in peace :(

CryingForTheHorses
06-05-2010, 05:46 PM
I galloped horses for years and I wonder what it would have been like to ride the likes of what this man did.Im sure he was in awe. Would also take a special person to mastermind this horse each and every day when so many people wanted a glimse of him.My hat is off to him saying a prayer that the good lord will reunite him with "Big Red"