PDA

View Full Version : New York, New York

Bullet Plane
06-04-2010, 01:51 PM
The Sinatra theme "New York, New York" is getting ditched for a song I never even heard of...

What part of "middle aged America is your customer that FUNDS horse racing" do these people not understand?

Heck, I'm younger than most of the people I see at the track. There's no way the vast majority of horseplayers have heard of the new theme.

Hedevar
06-04-2010, 02:00 PM
The Sinatra theme "New York, New York" is getting ditched for a song I never even heard of...

What part of "middle aged America is your customer that FUNDS horse racing" do these people not understand?

Heck, I'm younger than most of the people I see at the track. There's no way the vast majority of horseplayers have heard of the new theme.

What is the new song?

SoCalCircuit
06-04-2010, 02:07 PM
Its Empire State of Mind by Jay-z and Alicia Keys which is a great song and I think is a great idea. The oldies/middle aged fans won't be swayed away from the Belmont by a simple change of the theme song, so why not market to the main lacking demographic? Makes sense to me. Worked for the Preakness...

andymays
06-04-2010, 02:08 PM
What is the new song?

Paulick Report Blog Archive UPDATED: IS REPLACING SINATRA A GOOD MOVE FOR THE BELMONT?
http://www.paulickreport.com/blog/is-replacing-sinatra-a-good-move-for-the-belmont/

Excerpt:

UPDATE: After conflicting reports from news outlets that directly quoted from Jay-Z’s ‘Empire State of Mind’, it has come to the attention of the Paulick Report that the version in question is actually the Alicia Keys version which is a huge difference in content. While she is on the original Jay-Z version, her full ‘Empire State of Mind’ is a much classier rendition of the song.

nearco
06-04-2010, 02:28 PM
What was wrong with "The Sidewalks of New York"?
Now there was a great sing along song.

samyn on the green
06-04-2010, 02:31 PM
NYRA looking to the youts. (http://gregcalabrese.blogspot.com/2010/06/new-theme-song-for-belmont.html)

Robert Goren
06-04-2010, 02:35 PM
Judge for yourself

g4IiccUjGps

aqlJl1LfDP4

Too me, it is not even close, but I am old.

rastajenk
06-04-2010, 02:37 PM
Its Empire State of Mind by Jay-z and Alicia Keys which is a great song and I think is a great idea. The oldies/middle aged fans won't be swayed away from the Belmont by a simple change of the theme song, so why not market to the main lacking demographic? Makes sense to me. Worked for the Preakness...If you can make such an assumption that the oldies don't care what the Belmont's theme song is, why can you make the assumption that young ones will? Of all the thirty thousand or so that will show up tomorrow, how many will be there because of a new song? My over/under is one, and I'm taking the under.

ArlJim78
06-04-2010, 02:39 PM
I don't know the new song, but I'm glad they changed it. I always felt that New York New York was not appropriate for the event.

OTM Al
06-04-2010, 02:51 PM
What was wrong with "The Sidewalks of New York"?
Now there was a great sing along song.

Sidewalks is still on the program to be sung earlier in the day. This is actually the more traditional song for the day, not New York, New York. Of course the race predates both of them so calling either truly traditional isn't quite correct.

andymays
06-04-2010, 02:52 PM
I'm a Sinatra fan but I'm cool with the change. She does a good job.

SoCalCircuit
06-04-2010, 03:12 PM
If you can make such an assumption that the oldies don't care what the Belmont's theme song is, why can you make the assumption that young ones will? Of all the thirty thousand or so that will show up tomorrow, how many will be there because of a new song? My over/under is one, and I'm taking the under.

I know because if the more experience horse lovers who truly enjoy the sport change their mind about betting a race because of a song than they really aren't fans of the sport. And I know because I'm 22 and up until a month ago I could never drag any of my friends out to watch a race with me, as they were completely stuck on the stereotype of horseplayers being older men, but than I took them to the Preakness, geared to the younger crowd, and they showed a genuine interest in racing and have come out to Delaware and Philly park with me a few times since then. Theme songs are meant to evolve with the times, and even though it may not attract new players per se, if I went to Belmont with a few of my friends and they heard this song, I guarantee it would, although maybe subconsciously, make them feel more comfortable in this newer environment, as it's a song they can relate to. And if you didn't know the song was extremely successful, topping the billboard charts at #1 for a few weeks.

Bruddah
06-04-2010, 03:13 PM
I just listened to Alicia Keys song and found it totally lackluster. There was nothing about it which made me long for New York (great city) or Belmont. Looks like another of a long line of mistakes by racing management.

The Industry Management should understand this by now. The success of racing is built upon two things. The first is traditions, the second is Event Marketing of those Taditions.Once they get away from these core concepts the show is over.

socantra
06-04-2010, 03:15 PM
Keyes does a nice job, and there is nothing sacred about the Sinatra version of New York, New York. He's been dead for a dozen years now and he didn't record the song til he was 65, so its not even classic Sinatra. There are even some who believe that Liza Minnelli's version from the movie was much superior to Sinatra's. :eek:

There are lots of good songs about New York, and the world must move on from time to time, no matter how much it upsets us geezers. :(

rastajenk
06-04-2010, 03:21 PM
If I had a say, I might have considered U2:

"In New York summers get hot, well into the hundreds
You can't walk around the block without a change of clothing
Hot as a hairdryer in your face
Hot as a handbag and a can of mace
In New York, I just got a place in New York
New York, New York..."

and

"The Irish have been coming here for years
Feel like they own the place
They got the airport, city hall, concrete, asphalt, they even got the police
Irish, Italian, Jews and Hispanics
Religious nuts, political fanatics in the stew,
Living happily not like me and you
That's where I lost you... NewYork" :D

Wickel
06-04-2010, 03:21 PM
Keep speading the news. Keep Frank!

Robert Goren
06-04-2010, 03:28 PM
Keyes does a nice job, and there is nothing sacred about the Sinatra version of New York, New York. He's been dead for a dozen years now and he didn't record the song til he was 65, so its not even classic Sinatra. There are even some who believe that Liza Minnelli's version from the movie was much superior to Sinatra's. :eek:

There are lots of good songs about New York, and the world must move on from time to time, no matter how much it upsets us geezers. :( I am one who likes the Liza version better. That said, I absolutely hate anything I have heard from Alicia Keyes. This song is bad even for her. That my "old geezer" opinion if any one cares(and I know they don't).

Brogan
06-04-2010, 04:39 PM
If the problems racing faced were only as simple as the theme song for the Belmont.

There's bigger fish to fry.

samyn on the green
06-04-2010, 04:40 PM
You are so old you got the song wrong. This is the song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UjsXo9l6I8

Judge for yourself

g4IiccUjGps

aqlJl1LfDP4

Robert Goren
06-04-2010, 05:00 PM
Which one?

samyn on the green
06-04-2010, 05:01 PM
They are going with the rap version I posted. Here are the lyrics.

yeah
Yeah I'm out that Brooklyn.
Now I'm down in Tribeca.
Right next to DeNiro
But I'll be hood forever
I'm the new Sinatra
And since I made it here
I can make it anywhere
(Yeah they love me everywhere)
I used to cop in Harlem
All of my Dominicanos (Hey yo)
Right there off of Broadway
Brought me back to that McDonalds
Took it to my stash spot
560 State Street
Catch me in the kitchen like Simmons whipping Pastry
Cruising down 8th street
Off-white Lexus
Driving so slow
(but BK, it's from Texas!!)
Me I'm out that BedStuy
Home of that boy Biggie
now I live on Billboard
and I brought my boys with me
Say what up to Ta-ta
Still sipping Mai Tais
Sitting courtside
Knicks and Nets give me high-5
N**ga, I be Spiked out
I could trip a referee
...tell by my attitude that I'm MOST DEFINITELY FROM...

[Alicia Keys]
New York!!!!
Concrete jungle where dreams are made of,
There's nothing you can’t do,
Now you're in New York!!!
These streets will make you feel brand new,
the lights will inspire you,
Let's hear it for New York, New York, New York

[Jay-Z]
I made you hot n-gga,
Catch me at the X with OG at a Yankee game,
sh-t I made the Yankee hat more famous than a Yankee can,
you should know I bleed Blue, but I ain't a crip tho,
but I got a gang of n-ggas walking with my clique though,
welcome to the melting pot,
corners where we selling rocks,
Afrika bambaataa sh-t,
home of the hip hop,
yellow cab, gypsy cab, dollar cab, holla back,
for foreigners it ain't fitted act like they forgot how to act,
8 million stories out there and they're naked,
city it's a pity half of y’all won’t make it,
me I gotta plug a special and I got it made,
If Jeezy's payin LeBron, I’m paying Dwayne Wade,
3 dice cee-lo
3 card marley,
Labor Day parade, rest in peace Bob Marley,
Statue of Liberty, long live the World Trade,
long live the king yo,
I’m from the Empire State thats…

[Alicia Keys]
In New York!!!!

Welcome to the bright light..

[Jay-Z]
Lights is blinding,
girls need blinders
so they can step out of bounds quick,
the side lines is blind with casualties,
who sip the lite casually, then gradually become worse,
don’t bite the apple Eve,
caught up in the in crowd,
now you're in-style,
and in the winter gets cold en vogue with your skin out,
the city of sin is a pity on a whim.
good girls gone bad, the city's filled with them,
Mommy took a bus trip and now she got her bust out,
everybody ride her, just like a bus route,
Hail Mary to the city your a Virgin,
and Jesus can’t save you life starts when the church ends,
came here for school, graduated to the high life,
ball players, rap stars, addicted to the limelight,
MDMA got you feeling like a champion,
the city never sleeps better slip you a Ambien

[Alicia Keys]
New York!!!!

[Alicia Keys]
One hand in the air for the big city,
Street lights, big dreams all looking pretty,
no place in the World that can compare,
Put your lighters in the air, everybody say yeaaahh
come on, come,
yeah,

[Alicia Keys]
New York!!!!

Robert Goren
06-04-2010, 05:10 PM
I am sorry i thought I read some place that they were going with the Alicia Keyes solo version. Maybe I misunderstood post 4. It would not be the first time. For the record, I think the rap version is even worse.

jballscalls
06-04-2010, 06:21 PM
doesn't everyone sing along to the NY/NY sinatra version? that's going to be odd when the stands are stone cold silent during the playing of this LOL

Pace Cap'n
06-04-2010, 06:49 PM
Great song, that rap version.

Let's see...talks about where to buy drugs as well as sell them, prostitution, the joys of Ecstasy (but you might need some downers), sprinkled with few scatological epithets and garnished with liberal use of the "N" word....

Sounds like the right move to me.

OTM Al
06-04-2010, 08:13 PM
It is not the rap version being performed, only the Alicia Keys version, ie no JZ lyrics

SaratogaSteve
06-04-2010, 08:32 PM
If I had a say, I might have considered U2:

"In New York summers get hot, well into the hundreds
You can't walk around the block without a change of clothing
Hot as a hairdryer in your face
Hot as a handbag and a can of mace
In New York, I just got a place in New York
New York, New York..."

and

"The Irish have been coming here for years
Feel like they own the place
They got the airport, city hall, concrete, asphalt, they even got the police
Irish, Italian, Jews and Hispanics
Religious nuts, political fanatics in the stew,
Living happily not like me and you
That's where I lost you... NewYork" :D

:ThmbUp:

Grits
06-04-2010, 09:08 PM
I love the song. Its perfect, a great change!!! Looking forward to it tomorrow. Good for NYRA. Just hope the young lady that sings it has a great set of pipes, so it can be well heard. I much prefer Alicia Keyes performance to JayZ's. But then too, Keyes is a classically trained musician with a voice on top of her gift of piano.

Jay Z . . . . he's a guy from the hood--made good creating a vast empire of wealth founded on rap. I ain't a rap fan. (And boy, is this one an understatement.) Too, Jay Z married UP. Way, way UP. Beyonce' is one of the most beautiful women in the entertainment industry. Talented, and Lord can she dance. Love to hear her sing Irreplaceable.

The Hawk
06-04-2010, 09:41 PM
Initially, when the Yankees won a ballgame, they played the Sinatra version at the Stadium. When they lost, it was the Liza version, and we denizens of the bleachers called it the punishment for losing. Then Liza complained, and they changed it. There is NO comparison between the two, the Sinatra version is the only version.

Now, with this silliness of changing the song altogether, to something no one can sing along to, they've taken away a warm feeling and replaced it with a song that means nothing to anyone in attendance.

Would Churchill replace "My Old Kentucky Home" with a 2008 rap song that mentions Kentucky?

sandpit
06-04-2010, 10:14 PM
Maybe Churchill Downs will scrap My Old Kentucky Home for Deep Purple's version of Kentucky Woman, or since it seems to rain every Derby Day lately, Elvis' Kentucky Rain.

Robert Goren
06-04-2010, 10:41 PM
It is not the rap version being performed, only the Alicia Keys version, ie no JZ lyrics Are you sure? Someone said I was so old that I got the song wrong when I posted a youtube link to the non JZ version.

OTM Al
06-04-2010, 11:00 PM
Are you sure? Someone said I was so old that I got the song wrong when I posted a youtube link to the non JZ version.

It's a 16 year old girl singing the song. I listened to her doing the sound check. Yes, I'm sure.

BTW, MY Old Kentucky Home, were it still the way they sung it up to the 90s, should have been scrapped. Look up the original lyrics and tell me how appropriate an ode to slavery is.

The Hawk
06-04-2010, 11:39 PM
It's a 16 year old girl singing the song. I listened to her doing the sound check. Yes, I'm sure.

BTW, MY Old Kentucky Home, were it still the way they sung it up to the 90s, should have been scrapped. Look up the original lyrics and tell me how appropriate an ode to slavery is.

You're right, this is MUCH more appropriate in 2010:

"Knicks and Nets give me high-5
N**ga, I be Spiked out"

Use caution when belting out that verse in the grandstand tomorrow...

Ocala Mike
06-05-2010, 12:22 AM
For years, the song was "Sidewalks of New York", and I wasn't crazy about the change to Sinatra. My old man played in the George Seuffert band (saxophone), and I'd get into the track with him for free as the "band boy." Got to see a 1962 World Series game, Giants/Yankees at the Stadium the same way.

The band used to serenade the fillies in the filly triple crown races with "A Pretty Girl is Like a Melody." All gone now.

Ocala Mike

PaceAdvantage
06-05-2010, 12:30 AM
You're right, this is MUCH more appropriate in 2010:

"Knicks and Nets give me high-5
N**ga, I be Spiked out"

Use caution when belting out that verse in the grandstand tomorrow...How has the fact that the Jay-Z version will NOT be the one used tomorrow escaped so many in this thread?

cj
06-05-2010, 12:37 AM
Alicia Keys can sing to me any day of the week.

Jasonm921
06-05-2010, 03:32 AM
It's the Alicia Keyes version. This song is the contemporary "New York" song whether people like it or not. During the Yankees 2009 championship run this was their unofficial anthem. The chorus is very popular and it may be something that is actually sung in the crowd unlike Sinatra's great tune which has been pretty much only sung by third rate broadway acts and listened and not participated in by the crowd.

Trotman
06-05-2010, 05:45 AM
Alicia Keyes solo is allright by me and I grew up on Sinatra,
and Tony Bennett. But if I we're NYRA I would have had her sing it live as her voice is just too good, in fact I would just play a recording loud rather than have someone mess it up with less vocal talent. CJ's right she could sing for me any day.

Hedevar
06-05-2010, 05:50 AM
I liked it when they played the "Sidewalks of New York".

OTM Al
06-05-2010, 06:27 AM
They will still be having Sidewalks though the telecast likely will not show it as it is being done before the Manhattan.

Lasix67
06-05-2010, 08:19 AM
I love both songs. Alicia Keys is truly an amazing artist, especially in this day and time. That's my opinion though. Hell I don't care about what song they play as long as I'm a winner for the day :jump:

Lasix67
06-05-2010, 08:22 AM
oh by the way, I don't think the younger generation care all that much. To be honest they probably don't know who Frank Sinatra is no more than knowing who John Wooden is, and that is a damn shame!

trackrat59
06-05-2010, 08:51 AM
Both My Old Kentucky Home and Maryland My Maryland refer back to Civil War days. Maryland My Maryland is about Maryland fighting against the Union. Maryland was a southern state, not so much a border state. (you can find the real history if you look for it)

Now having said all of that I get teary-eyed when the horses come on the track at the Derby and Preakness listeing to My Old Kentucky Home and Maryland My Maryland. The songs are rooted deep in history but I think it's healthy that they are still around and have taken on new meanings for us today. The vast majority today have no clue those two songs refer back to Civil War days. Most folks who know the songs today know of them from the Kentucky Derby and Preakness. I don't have a particular problem with this. I think it's kinda cool. Something historical taking on a positive, new meaning.

I never did like the Sinatra song anyway. It just didn't seem to fit the Belmont for me and it certainly never brought tears to my eyes. What will bring tears to my eyes is if New York doesn't address their horse racing issues. It's a significant industry for the state of New York employing many, and we would all be in trouble if New York racing was lost.

I would have left the Sinatra song alone for now. Fix the real issues and THEN introduce a new Belmont song for a new, healthy "first day of the rest of it's life" for New York racing.

Thanks for reading my .02cents worth.

eastie
06-05-2010, 09:03 AM
Just heard Grateful Dead "The Race is On" . Now i know it is officially Belmont Day

letswastemoney
06-05-2010, 09:45 AM
don't be a playa hata

cj's dad
06-05-2010, 10:04 AM
I just listened to the Alicia Keyes song -

:ThmbUp::ThmbUp:

time for a change.

3/5 the song is met with a rousing response !!

Robert Goren
06-05-2010, 10:17 AM
I hate this. But what can I do? It not like I am going to start betting NJ breds.;)

depalma113
06-05-2010, 12:50 PM
It has to be some kind of bad luck to play a song that has Broken Down in the title as horses enter the track.

Tom
06-05-2010, 01:38 PM
Judge for yourself

Frankly, Sidewalks of New York is the only theme song.
When did they stop using that one? Might be why we have not had a tripe crown winner - bad karma.

Tom
06-05-2010, 01:40 PM
Just heard Grateful Dead "The Race is On" . Now i know it is officially Belmont Day

Is that Haystacks Calhoun?

TJDave
06-05-2010, 02:17 PM
A sad day for us traditionalists. At least I can take some comfort in the fact it's only once a year.

But the seventh inning stretch at the ballpark?

Whoever decided on 'God Bless America' ought to be shot. :mad:

Tom
06-05-2010, 06:30 PM
This song sucks and this chick sucks worse.
What is it, a FUNERAL dirge?
Did anyone listen to it befreo they signed her?
If I were at Belmont, I'd walk out! :rolleyes:

:lol: :lol: They cut her off and went to commercial just as I typed "walk out!"

miesque
06-05-2010, 06:32 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol: Yea, that sucked pretty bad. And for them to cut out to commercial was an act of mercy.

tzipi
06-05-2010, 06:34 PM

The song sucks to you for one reason and one reason only. That girl the greatest singer? No. But a great song and VERY popular song and the crowd cheered when it started. The would've cut off anyone for a commercial. Every show does it. The advertisers payed big bucks to have their ads on tv.

Tom
06-05-2010, 06:36 PM
The song sucks to you for one reason and one reason only.

What would that be?

chickenhead
06-05-2010, 07:01 PM
What would that be?

Cause you have ears? I guess that would be 2 reasons.

I like the song, think its quite nice. That girls singing, not so much.

ArlJim78
06-05-2010, 07:02 PM
I hit mute after 5 seconds. It was bad.

tzipi
06-05-2010, 07:13 PM
Cause you have ears? I guess that would be 2 reasons.

I like the song, think its quite nice. That girls singing, not so much.

Exactly what I wrote. Not a great singer but a good song. Should've gotten someone better but she was just a young girl.

Greyfox
06-05-2010, 07:16 PM
The song was terrible.
Jasmine Villegas was poor.
The crowd didn't connect to it.
TV went to commercial.

Other than that it was fine.

BluegrassProf
06-05-2010, 07:21 PM
Ever see a super-duper-blitzed-at-11pm Gamma Phi Beta pledge karaoke "Empire State of Mind?"

Well, now you kinda have.

tzipi
06-05-2010, 07:34 PM
The song was terrible.
Jasmine Villegas was poor.
The crowd didn't connect to it.
TV went to commercial.

Other than that it was fine.

The young crowd cheered when it started and that could be heard on the tv. For a terrible song is has done great as it was the top song all last year on the billboards and used as the Yankee song all last year for playoffs and the parade. Younger crowd obviously loves the song. But no shock on the reaction because a younger generation song was chosen.
Of course tv went to commercial, they always do. Companies pay TONS of money to have their ads played on big events. You have to get them in. Tons of things get cut off for ad time in big events. Nothing new.

Maybe the girl didn't sound the greatest and they could've gotten someone with a more mature voice but she's only 16 and still got a young voice. I give her credit and am not going to bash her. If it was somones daughter it would be a differ...ahh forget it.

Spendabuck85
06-05-2010, 07:51 PM
The song sucks to you for one reason and one reason only. That girl the greatest singer? No. But a great song and VERY popular song and the crowd cheered when it started. The would've cut off anyone for a commercial. Every show does it. The advertisers payed big bucks to have their ads on tv.

I don't recall My Old Kentucky Home being cutoff for a commercial.

tzipi
06-05-2010, 08:01 PM
I don't recall My Old Kentucky Home being cutoff for a commercial.

Of course not Spendabuck.
My Old Kent Home= about 1 minute 30 seconds.
Empire State of Mind= about 5 minutes.

So I guess their the same run time but they just cut off Empire and not Kentucky because the song is a terrible flop and no expensive ad time was out there. Sure.

Trotman
06-05-2010, 08:18 PM
I take back some of my comments from earlier in the day. I thought the young girl did a good job of the song, but this is still big time NY and it would have made more sence to have Alicia sing it live.

tzipi
06-05-2010, 08:22 PM
I take back some of my comments from earlier in the day. I thought the young girl did a good job of the song, but this is still big time NY and it would have made more sence to have Alicia sing it live.

I totally agree Trot. Alicia has a great voice and did such a great job with that song all last year. Would've been great to have had her there to do it. Tough song for that young girl to carry. Oh well on to next year.

Greyfox
06-05-2010, 08:28 PM
The young crowd cheered when it started and that could be heard on the tv..

They cheered louder when it ended. :lol:

Robert Goren
06-05-2010, 08:38 PM
I thought she did a decent of enough job. It is just a poorly written song.

tzipi
06-05-2010, 08:43 PM
They cheered louder when it ended. :lol:

Well you wouldn't know that Greyfox because you said your tv went to commercial :) . So you weren't there at the track. So you're just making things up to pick on that young girl. I'm guessing your very young.

When you get older Greyfox you'll realize that girl did pretty well for her age and voice. You'll realize it's someones daughter or grandaughter,etc up there and it's not cool or funny to be bashing that girl on a thread IMO. She wasn't horrible and I give her ALOT credit for singing in front of all those people. That's all I got to say about it. Well enjoy Grey.

GaryG
06-05-2010, 09:08 PM
So you weren't there at the track. So you're just making things up to pick on that young girl. I'm guessing your very young. Yo Fox...would you do such a dastardly thing as pick on that young girl? You have a lot of growing up to do Mister Fox....:lol: :lol:

Tom
06-05-2010, 09:12 PM
I don't think he can get a hell of a lot older! :eek::D
Or did you mean as he gets older his hearing goes? :D

thaskalos
06-05-2010, 09:17 PM
Well you wouldn't know that Greyfox because you said your tv went to commercial :) . So you weren't there at the track. So you're just making things up to pick on that young girl. I'm guessing your very young.

When you get older Greyfox you'll realize that girl did pretty well for her age and voice. You'll realize it's someones daughter or grandaughter,etc up there and it's not cool or funny to be bashing that girl on a thread IMO. She wasn't horrible and I give her ALOT credit for singing in front of all those people. That's all I got to say about it. Well enjoy Grey. I seriously doubt that Greyfox is "very young"...

tzipi
06-05-2010, 09:19 PM
I don't think he can get a hell of a lot older! :eek::D
Or did you mean as he gets older his hearing goes? :D

Oh Geez :D . Never would've thought that. Ok well it's not a big deal. But maybe some people around have a connection to that singer(not me) and some of these things that have been said are harsh. That's all. :)

Tread
06-05-2010, 09:39 PM
I am "only" 37 and I think Alicia Keys is AWFUL. Her voice is like nails on a chalkboard and I have no idea why she gets so much praise. Her signing is more like shouting and there is no richness at all in her tone, it just sounds like bellowing.

The Hawk
06-05-2010, 10:10 PM
How has the fact that the Jay-Z version will NOT be the one used tomorrow escaped so many in this thread?

Oops, sorry. The version they used was MUCH better.

TJDave
06-05-2010, 10:38 PM
When you get older Greyfox you'll realize that girl did pretty well for her age and voice. You'll realize it's someones daughter or grandaughter,etc up there and it's not cool or funny to be bashing that girl on a thread IMO. She wasn't horrible and I give her ALOT credit for singing in front of all those people. That's all I got to say about it. Well enjoy Grey.

Nothing personal against the poor girl but:

Doing "pretty well" isn't the level of talent most would expect at a major sporting event. How would you feel about karaoke for the Super Bowl halftime show?

Robert Goren
06-05-2010, 11:23 PM
I am "only" 37 and I think Alicia Keys is AWFUL. Her voice is like nails on a chalkboard and I have no idea why she gets so much praise. Her signing is more like shouting and there is no richness at all in her tone, it just sounds like bellowing.Thank you. I was beginning think I was the only one who thought that way. Alicia Keys is not just awful, she is GOD AWFUL.

Greyfox
06-05-2010, 11:53 PM
Well you wouldn't know that track. So you're just making things up to pick on that young girl. I'm guessing your very Greyfox because you said your tv went to commercial :) . So you weren't there at the young.

1. The TV went to commercial because the crowd showed the producers that no one gave a damn, weren't singing along, and could care less.

2 The crowd screamed volumes seemingly thankful that rendition of "Empire State of Mind" was over.

3. This is the third Crown of the Triple Jewel.
Of course that Jasmine Villegas is someone's daughter or grand-daughter.
I don't give a shit. I have a mother too. I may have a daughter too.. If she can't sing, she can't sing. If she can sing, she had no way of capturing the audience's interest in any way shape or form.

Except in this highly touted kid's case..someone somewhere says she can. There are lots of internet links endorsing her.
But she couldn't sing this song. She couldn't engage the crowd.
The crowd's disinterest was highly apparent as the cameras scanned it.
To me she reminded me of the show "American Idol Rewind."
If you haven't seen it, it's hilarious....if not pathetic. She'd fit right in.

4. tzipi - You said, and this is a direct quote from above.

: "I'm guessing your very Greyfox because you said your tv went to commercial :) . So you weren't there at the young."

tzipi - a. What does that sentence mean? b. Are there no tv's on site?

(I don't think that your post was very thought out.)

LottaKash
06-06-2010, 12:00 AM
I gave it a shot.....Dumb & Meaningless song, with nothing attached to it...

Bring back ole "blue-eyes", and the "standard", that everyone knows and can relate to......:jump:

best,

jldonah
06-06-2010, 12:24 AM
Alicia Keyes may not be the world's best musician, but that guy's giving violin lessons in St. Petersburg for 3 kopeks a week; she may not be the best singer in the world, but that guy's gonna have to come back to life three more times before he realizes he would be happier as a parrot, and she's not the cutest chick in New York, but that girl's a bitch--so I guess Alicia can buy Drosselmeyer any time she wants, just to piss off her neighbors.

This has got to be the most ridiculous thread I have ever read, because no one has mentioned "New Amsterdam," which is a great song but absolutely unknown and un-crowd-singable.

tzipi
06-06-2010, 12:32 AM
1. The TV went to commercial because the crowd showed the producers that no one gave a damn, weren't singing along, and could care less.

2 The crowd screamed volumes seemingly thankful that rendition of "Empire State of Mind" was over.

3. This is the third Crown of the Triple Jewel.
Of course that Jasmine Villegas is someone's daughter or grand-daughter.
I don't give a shit. I have a mother too. I may have a daughter too.. If she can't sing, she can't sing. If she can sing, she had no way of capturing the audience's interest in any way shape or form.

Except in this highly touted kid's case..someone somewhere says she can. There are lots of internet links endorsing her.
But she couldn't sing this song. She couldn't engage the crowd.
The crowd's disinterest was highly apparent as the cameras scanned it.
To me she reminded me of the show "American Idol Rewind."
If you haven't seen it, it's hilarious....if not pathetic. She'd fit right in.

: "I'm guessing your very Greyfox because you said your tv went to commercial :) . So you weren't there at the young."

Ok so the young crowd who made this song #1 all last year on the billboard charts "screamed volumes seemingly thankful that it was over". Suureee. And I'm sure all because it wasn't Sinatra. We know.

Ok you don't "give a s**t if it was even your daughter or whoever because " if they cant sing, they can't sing". So it's ok to bash the young girl. That's all I was saying why bash this young girl. If it was an older established singer who was drunk or messed up, I could see it.

She reminded you of "American Idol Rewind a hilarious and pathetic show" where you say "she'd fit right in" Such a nice comment on the young girl starting out. Real mature.

Greyfox
06-06-2010, 12:33 AM
This has got to be the most ridiculous thread I have ever read, because no one has mentioned "New Amsterdam," which is a great song but absolutely unknown and un-crowd-singable.

If this thread is the most ridiculous you have ever read,
I vote that your comment has to be the most ridiculous one so far.

Greyfox
06-06-2010, 12:37 AM
Real mature.

I'd rather listen to frogs at a pond.

:lol: No explanation of course of your comment:

"I'm guessing your very Greyfox because you said your tv went to commercial :) . So you weren't there at the young."

tzipi - a. What does that sentence mean? b. Are there no tv's on site?:lol:

tzipi
06-06-2010, 12:38 AM

Wow, you are just out of it. A "direct quote"? Yup, from post #67 that has NOT been changed from 8:40 last night.

I don't think anything you say is very thought out and you just lied and changed my whole post to try and make me look stupid when the whole unchanged post from last night is still up. Real mature. How old are you?

Whatever Greyfox insult the girl,change my posts to try and mock me,etc. Have fun. I don't want to get in trouble here because of this. These posts are ridiculous.

Greyfox
06-06-2010, 12:48 AM
Wow, you are just out of it. A "direct quote"? Yup, from post #67 that has NOT been changed from 8:40 last night.

I don't think anything you say is very thought out and you just lied and changed my whole post to try and make me look stupid when the whole unchanged post from last night is still up. Real mature.
Whatever Greyfox, the girl stunk,sucked,etc and she should be on some pathetic AI rewinds show. Ok, go enjoy your insults of the girl and your made up posts.

I changed your post??? :lol:
I responded to what was there. You posted it.
I changed your whole post to make you look stupid? :lol:
That's paranoia. If you appear to be stupid, don't blame me.
You're post is still there.
We agree. The girl stunk. The song stunk.
The executives at NYRA Belmont that decided on the song and singer were brain dead.

tzipi
06-06-2010, 12:54 AM
No Greyfox you didn't change my post, you made up the quote and everyone can see that.

You just posted at 12:32AM today about my post from 8:40PM last night. It couldn't have changed! It was LOCKED in by 8:50 PM last night. The sentence you "quoted" is nothing close to my #67 post. You made it up and got busted. Keep trying this BS and to bully me,jldonah and whoever else,it's just dumb. Real mature what you've posted here.

Well anyway it's late.
Great race day and weather.
Congrats to Pace on the Superfecta call.
Congrats team Drossel.
Onto more great summer racing! G'nite all!

TJDave
06-06-2010, 01:00 AM
Ok so the young crowd who made this song #1 all last year on the billboard charts "screamed volumes seemingly thankful that it was over". Suureee. And I'm sure all because it wasn't Sinatra. We know.

The #1 version of this song was performed by Jay-Z. Alicia Keyes' version hit #55.

I'd also be interested in knowing how many of the 'young crowd' hit the windows. ;)

Greyfox
06-06-2010, 01:01 AM
No Greyfox you didn't change my post, you made up the quote and everyone can see that.
You just posted at 12:32AM today about my post from 8:40PM last night. It couldn't have changed! It was LOCKED in by 8:50 PM. The sentence you "quoted" is nothing close to my #67 post.

No. I didn't change your post Tzipi but my Apologies for sure.

I went back and rechecked your original post.
It said:

"Well you wouldn't know that Greyfox because you said your tv went to commercial :) . So you weren't there at the track. So you're just making things up to pick on that young girl. I'm guessing your very young."

I'm not sure how my computer copied those sentences and reformed them in the manner that they did. My sincere apologies for sure.

With everything else though that I said about the singer and the song,
I still think the rendition, her voice, talent, and everything was terrible.

tzipi
06-06-2010, 01:03 AM
The #1 version of this song was performed by Jay-Z. Alicia Keyes' version hit #55.

I'd also be interested in knowing how many of the 'young crowd' hit the windows. ;)

You're right but I was just saying the crowd knows the song very well. Jay Z's version was #1 all over the boards last year and used during Yankee WS and parade. Jay Z's wiht Keyes version hit #1 Hot 100, Hip Hop and Rap boards. The Alicia Keyes solo version charted too. Both pretty good in my opinion. G'nite. :)

Robert Goren
06-06-2010, 02:05 AM
I am sure that nobody was there to hear this girl sing. I equally as sure that no one would come hear Alicia Keys sing one song. 20 years ago, no one would have come to hear Frank sing one song either. Some people prefer Frank, other people are tone deaf.;)

rastajenk
06-06-2010, 09:54 AM
:jump: I knew this would light up the msg board as soon as the too-long intro part of the song dragged on and on...poor girl just had to stand there for 15, 20 seconds. And then she started singing.... :eek:

Before ABC bailed on her, I recognized the song as the one ESPN used a gazillion times, times two, during the NFL draft. Irritating then, it could only go downhill yesterday.

And the song itself: I heard this line yesterday..."If I can make it here, I can make it anywhere." Hmmm, seems familiar. Then, "So they say." Well, I guess that takes care of any copyright suits. "Concrete Jungle?" Saint Bob of the Marleys is not amused. Even the "New York New York" sounds ripped from the U2 song I referenced earlier.

Great song? There's not an original thought in it. And, as has been pointed out before, the Yankees use it, (ESPN used it), so there's not much original thought going into the decision to use it. Weak all around! :ThmbDown:

KingChas
06-06-2010, 10:07 AM
NYRA marketing director Neema Ghazi clearly is looking to direct the Belmont Stakes to a 21st century theme for New York City.

Brilliant! :faint:

jldonah
06-06-2010, 11:24 AM
:confused: God bless you too!
My post was meant to be a joke and wasn't pointed at anyone specifically. Grow up.

If this thread is the most ridiculous you have ever read,
I vote that your comment has to be the most ridiculous one so far.

Greyfox
06-06-2010, 11:38 AM
My post was meant to be a joke and wasn't pointed at anyone specifically. Grow up.

10,000 comedians out of work and you're trying to tell a joke?
Better luck next time you try for America's Got Talent. This shot was a flop.:lol:

Tom
06-06-2010, 01:28 PM

I thought it was funny!
And welcome to the board, too! :ThmbUp:

WinterTriangle
06-06-2010, 03:18 PM
Great song, that rap version.

Let's see...talks about where to buy drugs as well as sell them, prostitution, the joys of Ecstasy (but you might need some downers), sprinkled with few scatological epithets and garnished with liberal use of the "N" word....

Sounds like the right move to me.

Sounds like the "modern" version of sinatra's world to me.

With his heavy drinking, womanizing, and alleged connections to the mob syndicate who ran drugs and prostitutes.

My grandmother called him a "hood". Loved his singing though. :)

Nikki1997
06-06-2010, 03:25 PM
Sounds like the "modern" version of sinatra's world to me.

With his heavy drinking, womanizing, and alleged connections to the mob syndicate who ran drugs and prostitutes.

My grandmother called him a "hood". Loved his singing though. :)

He was a hood in his own way--but a VERY elegant one .

Loved him as an actor though .

WinterTriangle
06-06-2010, 04:00 PM
He was a hood in his own way--but a VERY elegant one .

I think the term "hood" is replaced by "gansta" now ?

Well, I dunno if that was because he was elegant---- or that between having enough $$ to buy the very best suits, and that dreamy voice that allowed him to perform in such a beautiful way-----he merely gave the "appearance of refinement".

The Golden Age of Hollywood and Las Vegas and MGM back then had a rather systematic way of manufacturing and glamorizing....Sinatra was snapped up by the star system after they saw him sing , bobbie-soxers swooning similar to they would for Elvis and the Beatles later on.

That was all well before my time though----I was born a little late to have Sinatra as one of my idols. By the time I was old enough to appreciate him, The Brat Pack seemed like a bunch of alcohol-pickled older men to me.... and by that time, in my society, there was nothing glamorous about alcoholism.

Everything moves within it's own history, hence the new York New York song changes.

Nikki1997
06-06-2010, 04:08 PM
I think the term "hood" is replaced by "gansta" now ?

Well, I dunno if that was because he was elegant---- or that between having enough $$ to buy the very best suits, and that dreamy voice that allowed him to perform in such a beautiful way-----he merely gave the "appearance of refinement".

The Golden Age of Hollywood and Las Vegas and MGM back then had a rather systematic way of manufacturing and glamorizing....Sinatra was snapped up by the star system after they saw him sing , bobbie-soxers swooning similar to they would for Elvis and the Beatles later on.

That was all well before my time though----I was born a little late to have Sinatra as one of my idols. By the time I was old enough to appreciate him, The Brat Pack seemed like a bunch of alcohol-pickled older men to me.... and by that time, in my society, there was nothing glamorous about alcoholism.

Everything moves within it's own history, hence the new York New York song changes.

I was born too late to ride the bobbysoxer wagon on Frank or Elvis, and the Brat Pack did seem like a bunch of soused old guys to me as well.

Sinatra had a certain grace sartorially--probably because he was fashion model lean and carried himself well .

The new song however, seems not to have been that well received--I missed it ...

jldonah
06-06-2010, 06:22 PM
I thought it was funny!
And welcome to the board, too! :ThmbUp:

Hey, I said "meant to be a joke," not "a good joke"! Thanks.

Steve 'StatMan'
06-06-2010, 06:58 PM
That was the only time I heard it. Didn't come across well to me at all. And therefore WAY too long. And sounded more like a rip-off of other songs.

sandpit
06-06-2010, 07:09 PM
The first thing my wife, who is a pretty good singer in her own right, said was that the girl was lip synching. I think she was right.

Tom
06-06-2010, 07:16 PM
Next year......
wThfSI9rsLI

OTM Al
06-06-2010, 08:22 PM
The first thing my wife, who is a pretty good singer in her own right, said was that the girl was lip synching. I think she was right.

As someone who was there during the sound check the night before, I'm afraid you can break it to your wife that she is wrong.

PaceAdvantage
06-07-2010, 05:08 AM
She wasn't lip syncing.

However, I was sitting in section S of the grandstand (Row B and not my usual Row A, of which I am pissed), and I swear I heard plenty of BOOS when she was finished...maybe those in the clubhouse were kinder... :lol:

WeirdWilly
06-07-2010, 05:47 AM
After Michael Richards' unfortunate tirade, wasn't EVERYBODY supposed to quit using "THe N Word" and its derivatives?

Granted, the Alicia Keys version that they used is relatively tame, and not half bad (but NOT her best work). But the original - whoa, it is extreme for a mainstream event!

My vote?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHAeUcTX0F0&feature=fvst

Linny
06-07-2010, 02:20 PM
Maybe I'm just too old but I don't care for ESoM, any version. I'm still miffed about "Sidewalks" being dropped from the main event. I love Sinatra but NY/NY is kind of cliched, but at least the theme of "taking my game to NY and trying to make the big time" fits the race. I don't care of the Rat Pack were a bunch of boozers, the song wasn't about drinking.

In a way I wouldn't care but it seems like a weak move since the Yankees and ESPN and many other venues are using ESoM. If the Belmont was the first "placement" of the song in a sporting event, I guess it might be OK. ESoM is ubiquitous and doesn't have the positive theme of NY/NY.

As for My Old KY Home and Maryland, My Maryland, they are old songs with a lot of tradition. Yes MOKH original have lyrics that are offensive to the modern listener, but they were words in common usage at that time and by everyone. I'm not sure that the phrase "warlike thrust" (founfd in Marylan, My Maryland) would have the same meaning if it turned up in a Jay-Z song.

BluegrassProf
06-07-2010, 02:23 PM
She wasn't lip syncing.Sandpit: there was a mic delay in the broadcast, which gave the impression of lip-synching - the movement of her mouth and the sound didn't quite match up.

Probably what the wife was noticing...

FenceBored
06-07-2010, 02:37 PM
As for My Old KY Home and Maryland, My Maryland, they are old songs with a lot of tradition. Yes MOKH original have lyrics that are offensive to the modern listener, but they were words in common usage at that time and by everyone. I'm not sure that the phrase "warlike thrust" (founfd in Marylan, My Maryland) would have the same meaning if it turned up in a Jay-Z song.

More importantly, these two songs are the official state songs of the host tracks. I'm not sure they'd have been chosen, otherwise.

Why doesn't Belmont use the NY State Song?

kenwoodall2
06-07-2010, 02:44 PM
I know very few songs out since 1990, but t5his song is the best New York song sung by the younger "beer" generation.
My personal choice is too old- "Go Down Gamblin"" by Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
MOVE ON OR MOVE OVER!

rastajenk
06-07-2010, 02:48 PM
I just googled New York State Song and found this:

I LOVE NEW YORK
I LOVE NEW YORK
I LOVE NEW YORK

There isn't another like it.
No matter where you go.
And nobody can compare it.
It's win and place and show.
New York is special.
New York is diff'rent
'Cause there's no place else on earth
Quite like New York
And that's why

I LOVE NEW YORK
I LOVE NEW YORK
I LOVE NEW YORK

Win Place and Show!!! It must have a terrible tune for NYRA to not want to use that. Or else Neema (Foo) Ghazi is a complete idiot that should get canned immediately.
:D

FenceBored
06-07-2010, 03:15 PM
I just googled New York State Song and found this:

I LOVE NEW YORK
I LOVE NEW YORK
I LOVE NEW YORK

There isn't another like it.
No matter where you go.
And nobody can compare it.
It's win and place and show.
New York is special.
New York is diff'rent
'Cause there's no place else on earth
Quite like New York
And that's why

I LOVE NEW YORK
I LOVE NEW YORK
I LOVE NEW YORK

Win Place and Show!!! It must have a terrible tune for NYRA to not want to use that. Or else Neema (Foo) Ghazi is a complete idiot that should get canned immediately.
:D

uO7s02PvG2U

One wonders what song it replaced.

rastajenk
06-07-2010, 03:22 PM
First thing I thought of was Randy Newman "rolling down Imperial Highway with a big nasty redhead at his side," 'cause he loves L.A. :cool: Not that that's very relevant to anything.

Greyfox
06-07-2010, 03:32 PM
The Sidewalks of New York engaged the crowd. That would be my first pick.

Sinatra's New York, New York was also quite acceptable.
IMO many of Sinatra's songs were terrible. I didn't like his voice and when they came on the car radio I'd change the dial.
However, New York, New York was one I enjoyed and he could sing that one well.

sandpit
06-07-2010, 11:38 PM
Sandpit: there was a mic delay in the broadcast, which gave the impression of lip-synching - the movement of her mouth and the sound didn't quite match up.

Probably what the wife was noticing...

Thanks, that explains why it looked strange...wonder why the delay, were they expecting the little girl to drop an f-bomb during her rendition?

WeirdWilly
06-08-2010, 03:15 AM
Thanks, that explains why it looked strange...wonder why the delay, were they expecting the little girl to drop an f-bomb during her rendition?

That would have been f...f...freakin' sweet.

I'm sure there were plenty of f-bombs at the end of the race. :eek: :mad: :bang:

FenceBored
06-04-2011, 09:36 AM
Everything old is new again.

As the field for the 143rd running of the Grade 1, $1 million Belmont Stakes (gr. I) makes its way onto the track for the post parade at Belmont Park, the horses will be accompanied by Frank Sinatra’s timeless recording of “New York, New York.”
Read more: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/63375/new-york-new-york-to-greet-belmont-horses#ixzz1OJVDVLar

Ocala Mike
06-04-2011, 11:16 AM
Bring back "Sidewalks of New York" (East Side, West Side, etc.)!

Ocala Mike