PDA

View Full Version : 'Blogging' from the Belmont

OTM Al
06-04-2010, 10:15 AM
Back by popular demand (or at least not driven away by popular outcry....)

Got to the big track in the big city a little bit ago. Was too tired to go through the day's card last night, so made a pass through. Couple races looked like my kind, so we'll see what we can do.

Everyone working hard and crazy for tomorrow with all the last minute stuff. I've seen the planning book for this event and it is enormous. No matter if there is no TC on the line, it's still a huge event.

Ron Turcotte is here. The wife got me to come and say hello, but he like all the rest is busy working, so didn't feel it proper to interrupt. Perhaps I'll catch up with him later.

I love this year's logo, so I got a white t-shirt with it, or more properly shall we say the wife got me one at my begging last night at the special pre-sale.

Looks like a beautiful day and my second favorite race of the year is running today and what do you know, the winner of my favorite race of the year, Tiger's Rock will be my pick. Brooklyn, top of the food chain baby!

OTM Al
06-04-2010, 11:16 AM
For those that may not know, THE Derby is this weekend at Epsom, so it is a dual classic weekend (triple if you want to count the French version on Sunday). The card at Epsom is very good today, better than tomorrow, and to my great chagrin, the my top pick just did a last to first to win the Oaks at 14-1 and I didn't have a dime on her. Not sure if I should be happy about my ability or disgusted at not betting her.....

OTM Al
06-04-2010, 01:31 PM
Just did a quick spin around the grounds. The back yard looks great right now, everything all green and lush. Groundskeeper Tony really has some talent with plants.

Carnations already adorn the Secretariat statue in anticipation of tomorrow.

We went to check out the area where the local ESPN radio station will be broadcasting from. It's not too far from the duck pond, so we went over to visit Wise Old Goose, who had much to say about our presence.

There's a very nice food vendor row in the back yard this year. I think they may have been open last weekend when I came, but not today as the crowd is a bit sparse.

It's pretty warm out there, though the forecast is saying a few degrees cooler and less humid for tomorrow, so it should be perfect.

Wandered back upstairs in search of food. Almost always go to the chicken place on the third floor, but wasn't in the mood, so ham sandwich was the call from the deli. Not bad. Paused on the way up to watch the first. Glad to say the winning streak is 2 for 2 as I hit the exacta. Not big, but every little bit helps. No picks now till the 5th unless the fave takes way too much of the pool in the Hill Prince running in the 4th.

OTM Al
06-04-2010, 03:17 PM
First inquiry of the day results in no change. Can't get worked up about a 4-5 and a 2-1 in a five horse field. If you bet it and your mad, it's only yourself you should be mad at.

Got down in the 5th. A 5/2+8 exacta and a 5+8 exacta box.

I see the controversy over dumping New York, New York in favor of Empire State of Mind is heating up. I've known about this for a while and honestly didn't care for it. Not because I think Frank's song is sacred or anything, because I don't. It's because every time New York gets mentioned in the last several months this song gets played. It's just a little too used right now. Sidewalks of New York is the real theme song anyway, and that's going nowhere.

Drat. Had the winner but no help in second. Six did have good 2yo turf form. My bad for not using her at 12-1. Racing can be a frustrating thing.

OTM Al
06-04-2010, 04:35 PM
No luck again in the 7th. The day rolls along, much like any other on the track, but the fever pitch behind the scenes keeps building and will continue to into the night. First year I saw it from this angle there was a TC shot with Big Brown. It's not close to that level, but it is easy to tell something big is happening.

There is a stall in the bathroom where someone has begun a list of "thieving jockies" whatever that is supposed to mean. Mike Luzzi is listed number one. You got me, but maybe this means something to someone other than just sour grapes.

Well, now I'm being put to work. That's ok, it's why I took the day off!

OTM Al
06-04-2010, 05:05 PM
Work done. Ran into slewis on the way back as he was scoping out the runners for the 9th. His voice was still rough from cheering on Musket Man on Monday. That was a fine effort by that runner.

Unfortunately found out I had the winner in the exacta again, but shut out underneath. Oh well, passing this one and one more bet on the Brooklyn, so up for the day no matter what, which is never a bad thing.

OTM Al
06-04-2010, 07:17 PM
That was an interesting couple hours. We went to the paddock for the Brooklyn. It's always interesting to mingle with the owners and trainers as the horses are saddled. Then out comes the group of jockies, all seeming much smaller in person! My pick looked great in the paddock. Not so much fifteen minutes later.....

You leave the paddock and walk up though the tunnel, a moment of quiet before coming back out in the sun. We moved over to the winner's circle. I love that stuff they use to cover the ground. Looks like brick but it's really rubber so the horses have grip. The faint scent of horse pooh wafts over.

The race itself was fun. Only two races will start in front of the stands and go all the way around the big oval. They look so far away in the backstretch. Then around they come and we move out of the winner's circle so the business of the champion can be conducted. TLG was in on the trophy presentation.

Then off to the back yard. The sound guys were coming to set up for tomorrow's bands and the radio load in was there as well. Then here and there, putting up some signage and carrying this there and that here.

Heard the soundcheck for the girl singing the disputed song tomorrow. She has a very nice voice.

Have to drive the wife over to the press event tonight, so will be back in a bit.

Must say I did hear an interesting tidbit from the chiefs here right after they heard, but not sure tits out yet so mums the word.

Grits
06-04-2010, 09:34 PM
Al, as Tom says, "another beautiful day at lovely Belmont Park . . . . . ;)

And thankfully, a profitable one.

Stillriledup
06-04-2010, 09:38 PM
Anyone have any advice if i should handicap the non stakes races to be on the turf? Obviously the graded races will be on the green, but what about the overnight races.

Any thoughts?

OTM Al
06-04-2010, 11:11 PM
There is a chance for isolated storms tomorrow. Should be a pretty nice day overall, so I would assume on. The turf course is so dry right now that some rain could only help it.

Just got home from the Garden City where the press party was in full swing. Had a nice dinner in the lounge. Hammerin Hank eschewed the party and was having his dinner right behind me. Went in toward the end for a few minutes. Two observations: 1) Jockeys certainly have, shall we say, distinctive girlfriends. 2) The press does not turn down free food.

The news item I alluded to early is out. Sandy Frucher resigned from his post with NYCOTB. Hopefully his replacement will have a clue about racing and how to return a company handling $1 Billion annually back to profitable.

I'm going to bed now. Going to be back there at 7am tomorrow. Talk at you from the track.

OTM Al
06-05-2010, 08:09 AM
Mark Feinberg is in the house.....I will explain some other time.....

Got here about 7:30 and lines are already forming at the gates. The weather forecast has worsened, though for the most part I figure the day should be ok, though. Will be warmer and muggier than initial estimates.

Can someone please once again explain the PEB drawing on today's DRF? They make no sense. At least this one doesn't have a hook nosed Arab riding a carpet in it in PEBs normal charming "stereotypical" way. I thought they were getting rid of this guy.

I know they will be putting Mark, er me, to work soon, but before I go, Rewilding over Azmeel and Jan Vermeer in the Derby.

Shelby
06-05-2010, 08:48 AM
Once again you're helping me feel like I'm actually at the races!!! Thank you so much for the updates :)

eastie
06-05-2010, 08:55 AM
fast and firm ?

Tread
06-05-2010, 09:46 AM
Looked like it may have rained there overnight, any sense for how much?

OTM Al
06-05-2010, 09:51 AM
fast and firm ?

So far. Looks like it could be one of those scattered and sudden summer storm kind of days though.

Tv here played the TC winning races and all the misses (plus Rags to Riches' sans Charismatc for obvious reasons). Once again Secretariat wins by "25 and maybe more" and Jorge and Alydar strike the lead but once again not to be.

Showing yesterday's results now. Bet $100, got back $131. 31% ROI. Sounds better that way. Best part is have plenty left for today!

OTM Al
06-05-2010, 10:12 AM
MTOs all scratched though final race scratches not announced yet, so they are expecting to be on the turf.

Greyfox
06-05-2010, 10:14 AM
1) Jockeys certainly have, shall we say, distinctive girlfriends. .

Al, I've been enjoying your posts.
Are you telling us here that their girlfriends decks are "stacked?":D

OTM Al
06-05-2010, 10:47 AM
Al, I've been enjoying your posts.
Are you telling us here that their girlfriends decks are "stacked?":D

Umm....unnaturally so. I would not say their manner of dress is the height of fashion either.

Speaking of unnatural my picks for the day align way too closely with tlg. That always spooks me a bit, but hey, why can't we both hit it well today?

OTM Al
06-05-2010, 11:18 AM
Wow. Workforce was spectacular. If you are in the position to bet French races, Capo Blanco who beat him by almost three last out is running in the French classic tomorrow. Not sure you'll get much of a price. At First Sight ran on very well also. He dueled my longshot into submission and still had enough left to hold second by open lengths.

Once again we must thank Lord Derby for winning his toss against Lord Bunburry. Our language is much the richer for it.

No picks in the first. NW2L is not my cup of tea.

cj's dad
06-05-2010, 12:15 PM
Put Belmont races on ESPN, which came on at noon, and from a view of the stands the place looks empty.

OTM Al
06-05-2010, 12:35 PM
Clubhouse seats are still pretty empty but pretty good crowd already in the grand stand. Sitting in the front row exactly one sixteenth from the finish on the second floor of the clubhouse. Cars are backed up to the belt and much tailgating, so the crowds will be here.

joanied
06-05-2010, 01:10 PM
Hey OTM Al....Happy as hell you are doing this again...I haven't had time to read from the first post, but I'll catch up asap...it's a bad day for me to be busy on our farm :mad: ... hope the place does fill up...it would be depressing to see an empty grandstand.
How is the weather looking?
No doubt you & your other half are having a fantastic time...you cannot even imagine how badly I want to be there...give my regards to Belmont:jump:

joanied
06-05-2010, 01:15 PM
Just tuned into ESPN...this colt, Trap Shot...just read about him this morning in the BH magazine...a Tapit colt. Nice win.

OTM Al
06-05-2010, 01:21 PM
It's filling up slowly but surely. Trains and busses are still rolling in and out. One more race before the stakes portion starts up. There is a breeze now and cloud cover is coming in. There will likely be some showers in the late afternoon, so probably not for a couple hours. Severity will be anyone's guess.

No joy yet to report on the wagering front. My pick in that one got creamed so all chance was gone quickly.

May take a spin in the backyard in a bit just to see.

OTM Al
06-05-2010, 04:03 PM
Ok, some connectivity issues again. Bound to happen with several thousand people all using their phones at once. Been getting all bets in. Top picks are Elusive Warning, Amen Halleluja (barely over Tanda), Gio Ponti, and First Dude.

The back yard is packed. Club house is getting full and the grandstand is already there. It's a good crowd for a non TC year.

The weather looks good. A breeze has picked up getting rid of much of the humidity. Some dark clouds have blown over. Light overcast but clearer than before. Doesn't much look like rain anymore.

And they're off......Bribon. He's not just a miler anymore.....

Tom
06-05-2010, 04:10 PM
That race has me shaking my head. I had Bribon to win, but if let me bet it over, I would still not have Snapshot in the gimmick. My first throw out.
Breaking out the beer early after that one!

Wish I were there, Al ( NOT so I could throw something at someone;)).

OTM Al
06-05-2010, 04:32 PM
Well Tom, you might have wanted to throw something as Curtis Sliwa was just parading himself up and down the rail, wearing a suit and his red beret. I was laying odds if he was really talking to someone on his phone or was simply grandstanding. Ah the people you see at the track.

Tom
06-05-2010, 05:00 PM
Al, Sara Palin just arrived to watch First Dude run...maybe he is part of the security team? :lol::lol:

OTM Al
06-05-2010, 05:16 PM
Al, Sara Palin just arrived to watch First Dude run...maybe he is part of the security team? :lol::lol:

Well, it might be her only chance to see what winning a big race looks like, don'tcha know. (rimshot)

It's just about perfect out here right now. Pretty still, the low buzz of the crowd being drowned out from time to time as the jumbo jets going into JFK are passing over the Nassau county end of the track.

Evidently there is much partying going on in the grandstand and back yard. More power to them as long as they took the train or have someone to drive.

Now who was it that asked if we thought Monmouth would handle more today? Well, they will tomorrow, I guarantee it. Speaking of which I need to see where they are on that card and if I still survive at the shore.

OTM Al
06-05-2010, 05:26 PM
BTW I see the DRF finally printed the story, only 24 hrs after yours truly first heard it and 15 after I saw it on Paulick and was able to say something. Told you they were to busy eating and drinking at the party last night.

For those who doubted, Sidewalks of New York is playing. The officers who discovered the Times Square bomb are leading the post parade. I believe ESPN decided against airing this. Tell me though if they changed their minds.

Tom
06-05-2010, 05:30 PM
That is great - nice tribute to real NY heroes!

Good luck on the big one, Al!

Shelby
06-05-2010, 05:32 PM
OMG I'm having a BRUTAL day. I couldn't pick my nose.

OTM Al
06-05-2010, 05:46 PM
Hells yeah. $147 exacta two and a half times. Al is feel in good.

Tom
06-05-2010, 05:51 PM
:jump: Woo Hoo!

Shelby
06-05-2010, 06:06 PM
Congtrats on the win!!

Need to win this one badly. I didn't pick Ice Box at all. Cheer for 11--First Dude--I need him to be either first second or third with NO Ice Box in first second or third. I also have the 5--Fly Down and the 1 Dave in Dixie Calvin won me good on Mine that Bird @ 50-1 odds so he can be in there again :)

OTM Al
06-05-2010, 06:09 PM
The girl singing Empire State is getting ready. She's a tiny little thing. Hope it goes well for her. Some phone calls got a little insulting yesterday. A good show puts those deserving it in their place.

chickenhead
06-05-2010, 06:33 PM
ABC cut to commercial halfway through the song -- from closeup on the girl singing abruptly to Geico commerical.

OTM Al
06-05-2010, 06:39 PM
The gate is in place, the horses are warming up, the buzz is growing. Clubhouse side is still a little light, but the grandstand is packed. The wife is in the winners circle. Last year she accidentally was on tv much to her father's delight.

Jasmine sounds really nice.

slowly they move to the gate, dust rising in the light of the sinking sun.

Not bad. Nice applause.

To me, this is the greatest of the TC races. The only one of a true classic distance. But I may be a little biased.

Looks like we still must be in commercial break.

Annnnnnnndddddd they are set with the crowd roaring.

First Dude right where he needs to be.

Good fraction.

Slow fractions. Big chance for the Dude.

Aaannnnddddd I still think Drosselmeyer sucks.......

OTM Al
06-05-2010, 07:10 PM
Oooops.....just tried to post on the wife's machine but it logged in as her. So beloved moderator, thus the cryptic reason for deletion.....

As I was saying, my buddy Tommy had the double. Robbie Davis trains his horse and told him he had to use the 7. Just under the W-2 level at $596.

Paterson even came to give the trophy. He did at least come through in the end.

Don't know about the rest of you but I got one for the 13th.

Tom
06-05-2010, 07:33 PM
Alright, what' for dinner now, Al? :kiss:

OTM Al
06-05-2010, 08:07 PM
Dinner is not an option. Bed is the key now. Been snacking all day anyway. Good catering in the offices.

No joy in the final, but started with $200 and turned it into $330 over the two days. Saw some great racing and some stupefying results. Beautiful day. Big crowd. Lot of tired people.

An army of cleanup workers are descending on the place. It's amazing how fast they get the place cleaned up, but it will take all night after this one.

Give it a wrap in a couple days. Signing off for now.

cj's dad
06-06-2010, 11:20 AM
To me, this is the greatest of the TC races. The only one of a true classic distance.

But I may be a little biased.

Gee, ya think.

joanied
06-06-2010, 05:01 PM
OTM Al...thanks for another great trip :ThmbUp: ...I had planned on keeping up with you all day, but my day was spent out working on our farm...didn't get to watch the ESPN coverage until Sat. night and the ABC coverage this morning.

I totally enjoyed :jump: your blog...hey, did ya see Todd or Sara Palin? I noticed Todd in the paddock taking a photo of First Dude...kinda :cool: ...would have been awesome if the colt had pulled it off, maybe the Palin's would have been in the winners circle...good PR for racing.

I was so happy to see a huge crowd there...everyone looked like they were having such a fun day...and me, 2,000 miles away, reminising of days gone by...it was good for my soul to see the grounds at belmont again...when they go into the barn area, I look around, not at the horses...and one shot from the air showed the entire place, so I could see barns 1 & 2...the last barns I worked in.

They did a piece on the size of belmont's infield...it was way good...they showed in graphics all the stufrf you can fit in there...including the Brooklyn Bridge...folks that never been, really cannot appreciate how huge the place is.
One shot was of folks inside the grandstand...I have heard it's falling apart inside...but it looked good for me...even the floor had a shine to it.

I love the Belmont logo this year, so I am heading to the Belmont website to sdee about buying one for myself.

ABC did cut to commercial while that little gal was singing...what was that? Maybe I'm stuck on some forms of tradition...I was happy during breaks they played Sinatra's new York, New York, because I thought the Empire State of Mind kinda sucks.

Anyway...once again, you done good...I sure appreciated your on site TC blogs...
and I hope you blog again from the Spa...as in: 'back by popular demand' :ThmbUp:

OTM Al
06-06-2010, 05:40 PM
Gee, ya think.

At least it's always been in New York, kinda like how the Preakness was for a few years there..... :)

cj's dad
06-06-2010, 07:10 PM
...folks that never been, really cannot appreciate how huge the place is.

A previous poster at this site was a part owner of stock that ran on the NYRA circuit- he took me to the stable area on a few occasions and to see the track from the OTHER SIDE, you realize how G'darn big the place is - I love Belmont Park - I think both Pimlico and Laurel Park could fit in there end to end.

Tom
06-06-2010, 07:41 PM
Baffert said something to Hank and Kenny that he had to sit with them and with Bailey and Moss because he couldn''t get a cab to their side of the track.

joanied
06-06-2010, 08:21 PM
A previous poster at this site was a part owner of stock that ran on the NYRA circuit- he took me to the stable area on a few occasions and to see the track from the OTHER SIDE, you realize how G'darn big the place is - I love Belmont Park - I think both Pimlico and Laurel Park could fit in there end to end.

I have a couple of old instamatic photos of the grandstand from 'the other side'...anyway ya look at it...huge, huge, huge!!
The backside is a magical place...a world within itself...trees, serenity, the smells of hay and horses...quiet roads, the kitchens...and characters beyond compare.
I love it and I miss it.

trackrat59
06-07-2010, 08:59 AM
Al:

I'm fairly new here and found this on Saturday. I wanted to come back and thank you. I really enjoyed your coverage of the Belmont. Great work and thanks for the laughs. :ThmbUp:

bisket
06-07-2010, 07:57 PM
good job again al. i didn't get to visit because i was over in the selections forum screwing up my belmont wager :faint: you should have called the race on your laptop. we probably would have actually known where our horse were during the race :D