PDA

View Full Version : Dick Cheney killed the Ocean

JustRalph
06-04-2010, 02:21 AM
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x8482245

Greyfox
06-04-2010, 02:33 AM
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x8482245

:lol: If those responses aren't off the wall, pray tell me what is? :lol:

PhantomOnTour
06-04-2010, 02:44 AM
Hunting accident?

DJofSD
06-04-2010, 08:45 AM
Typical: ready, shot, aim.

They need to look no further than the current administration and their lack of enforcement of laws, rules and regulations.

F'ng demo-rats are so good about passing laws and restricting freedoms but when it comes to actually enforcing them, where are they?

jballscalls
06-04-2010, 10:51 AM
they've been saying that over there since the whole deal started. they said he lifted safety restrictions on drilling to make things easier for his company and thus that lead to all this

boxcar
06-04-2010, 11:13 AM
Typical: ready, shot, aim.

They need to look no further than the current administration and their lack of enforcement of laws, rules and regulations.

F'ng demo-rats are so good about passing laws and restricting freedoms but when it comes to actually enforcing them, where are they?

In the brave new age of Identity Politics, it's all about selective enforcement. So much for the libs' mindless mantra, Equality for All". :rolleyes:

Boxcar

jballscalls
06-04-2010, 11:23 AM
:lol: If those responses aren't off the wall, pray tell me what is? :lol:

the part that makes me :lol: is that they would think the same thing if they read a majority of responses back here. they would think they landed on planet mars if they read what was said about the left and Obama back here, in their world he is great!

ddog
06-04-2010, 12:03 PM
Anyone that can deny the regs were/are tilted toward "drill baby drill" is not

Being honest OR is ignorant in the extreme. Show me one situation when Bush/Darth would be in favor of tougher regs OR enforcement.

All the johnnie-come-lates to this type of deal show their lack of depth on the issue.

To expect a bunch of gvt bums to have the expertise on deep water stuff is laughable. You need to meet some of them and you would understand.

They could not tell you a drill string from a tuna fish. They were as are all gvt bums, just doing the "shuffle" along and push the paper.

There was nothing wrong with the waivers given as many many of the same type were given and those are running ok so far.

Having said that, there is no way in hell this country survives without DEEP WATER DRILLING.

For bama or anyone to think otherwise, well they are either nuts or stupid, take your pick.

delayjf
06-04-2010, 01:40 PM
Being honest OR is ignorant in the extreme. Show me one situation when Bush/Darth would be in favor of tougher regs OR enforcement.

I for one am not denying anthing, but I would like some more detail as to what regulations were tilted, waived, or not enforced that led to the oil spill. It's also quite possible that BP was simply in violation of existing regs, and is therefore fully culpable.

It is also a legitimate question to ask that if the spill had happened in shallow water, could we contain it more effectively.

DJofSD
06-04-2010, 02:27 PM
Jeff, one thing I recall hearing is the weekly/monthly safety reports were written by BP personal and signed off by the Mineral/Mining inspector without any actual inspection.

Hank
06-05-2010, 08:00 PM

All the johnnie-come-lates to this type of deal show their lack of depth on the issue.

To expect a bunch of gvt bums to have the expertise on deep water stuff is laughable. You need to meet some of them and you would understand.

They could not tell you a drill string from a tuna fish. They were as are all gvt bums, just doing the "shuffle" along and push the paper.

There was nothing wrong with the waivers given as many many of the same type were given and those are running ok so far.

Having said that, there is no way in hell this country survives without DEEP WATER DRILLING.

For bama or anyone to think otherwise, well they are either nuts or stupid, take your pick.

Quite true,however deep water nor any other form of fossil fuel extraction will save us for very long,usage and demand are growing exponentially and the source is finite and shrinking.Its later than you think.I guess this fact also requires the obligatory dem-a-don't vs repub-la-can't pie fight.

Tom
06-05-2010, 09:23 PM
Not fight, but the facts are - oil and coal are what we need for the foreseeable future. Nothing is going to replace either of them any time soon. It is ridiculous to not tap our own supplies. We should have rigs a lot closer to shores in shallower water. This would not be such an issue if it were in 500 feet of water or if it were in Anwar.

fast4522
06-06-2010, 07:29 AM
The rules are set for drilling in water as opposed to on land. From what I have read and heard that when in water on our coast, a pipe safety containment blowup rig is mandated. These rigs are huge and very expensive but once oil is found and the pipe is safe the rig can be removed and move to the next location. The fact is BP got a exemption from the Obama administration to not place the rig at the site for this drill and pipe completion is the issue that is being spun to avoid damage to the President. If I am in error about this "DO TELL", I think there are many on this BBS that would either agree or not on this issue. There was a huge savings in dollars to not relocate a safety containment blowup rig to that location and depth by BP approved directly by the Obama Administration. Where does the buck really stop?

highnote
06-06-2010, 10:49 AM
There was a huge savings in dollars to not relocate a safety containment blowup rig to that location and depth by BP approved directly by the Obama Administration. Where does the buck really stop?

I think the buck should stop with BP. I hear a lot of complaints that government is too big. We need smaller gov't. We need less regulation. Less gov't interference with private business.

Time to walk the talk. Gov't stay out of this mess and BP fix it.

Or is this like the banking industry -- privatize the gains, socialize the losses? Seems like this is what we're seeing here. BP makes all the money and then when they screw up, big brother is asked to bail them out and taxpayers/consumers lose.

Tom
06-06-2010, 12:48 PM
Sorry, John, but wrong.
THIS is why we need governments - to do thing we cannot do on our own.
WE cannot clean this up. Neither can the government, but what can they do?

1. Call together ALL oil companies that are drilling anywhere on US territory. I have defended their right to make profits, now I will hold them to the accountability side of the equation. Whatever is needs, no matter what, must be provided immediately.

2. Every Monday morning, fine BP $42 per barrel that has spilled over the last week and demand immediate payment - like by noon.

3. Immediately turn that money into action - divy it up among the affected states and to the clean up in the Gulf effort.

4. Dispatch BP clean up teams to weach statae and put them under the direct orderrs of the Governors. They do what they are told to do.

5. Use the Coast Guard to enforce the process.

6. Whan all is said and done, look to point fingers, assign blame, arrest people and for heaven's sake, find out WHO in the Governemtn gave them a pass on safety and hang the SOB from an oil rig.

The fact that BP is issuing dividends, paying for advertising, and awarding bonuses, to me, shows htat they are not committed to the clean up.

The fact that Obama is doing nothing and making the wrong decisions every day is deplorable. States have had viable plans on hold for days and weeks while the Messiah takes vacation, goes to concerts, makes speeches, and offers sound bytes. Put this POS president a friggin tent on a shore that is covered with dead birds and keep his worthless ass there until his job is done. I am surprised he has not suggested a pathway to citizzenship for the tarballs.

When we have done all we can to stem the invasion, we can start choipping off heads. Many heads.

This is the WORST non-military failure by any president in the last 100 years. Maybe longer.

America, this is your change. Choke on it.

At least I take comfort that 53% of those affected by this disaster have no one to blame but themselves for voting for this painted pig.

fast4522
06-06-2010, 01:32 PM
What I was saying was the oil rig that burned and the lives that were lost was due to the wrong oil rig that was mandated by law and was wavered by the Administration. There was a added risk to what might happen and did, the mandated rig for that location would have been much more expensive but had a much lower risk at the depth. I in no way suggest I know what I am talking about but suggest that there was risk and several wavers and exceptions given to BP for that site prior to the catastrophe that did include loss of human life. When I asked about where the buck stops it was in main part to not write off the loss of life as trivial or acceptable when issuing exceptions and wavers.

Tom
06-06-2010, 05:22 PM
The scumbags at BP have forced local fishermen to sign non-disclosure forms in order to get jobs cleaning up. This is obviously their way to shut people up about the health hazards BP has unleashed on them all, and the fact that they are NOT providing proper safety equipment to the workers.

The government MUST step in immediately and declare all of these agreements null and void.

Mr. Obama......please DO SOMETHING!

Are your AFRAID to do your job?

bigmack
06-06-2010, 05:38 PM
The scumbags at BP have forced local fishermen to sign non-disclosure forms in order to get jobs cleaning up. This is obviously their way to shut people up about the health hazards BP has unleashed on them all, and the fact that they are NOT providing proper safety equipment to the workers.
How do you force someone to sign something & why would a company give people substandard safety equipment exposing them to further lawsuits?

Tom
06-06-2010, 05:46 PM
You tell them they don't get the job is they don't sign. Seeing how BP has taken their livelihoods away from the, it was not a thing to do.

I dunno on the second...the same reason they would not be prepared for this disaster in the first place?

BP is back-peddling now, saying that they have released everyone from the NDS, but no one has it in writing yet. I guess all you get for the NDS now is a copy of Crato's trackvarinat kit. :rolleyes::lol:

bigmack
06-06-2010, 06:03 PM
BP took away their livelihoods as much as Bush caused a hurricane called Katrina.

Shit happens.

boxcar
06-06-2010, 06:30 PM
How do you force someone to sign something & why would a company give people substandard safety equipment exposing them to further lawsuits?

Companies can have people sign pre-employment agreements as a condition for employment. Fairly common. But I don't have an answer to your second question. (I might have to consult with the dead on that one. :D )

Boxcar

Rookies
06-06-2010, 10:42 PM
I for one am not denying anthing, but I would like some more detail as to what regulations were tilted, waived, or not enforced that led to the oil spill. It's also quite possible that BP was simply in violation of existing regs, and is therefore fully culpable.

I am not on the inside of the regulating body, so I don't know- only those there do.

However, I suspect, like DDog and many others that the 'regulatory' :lol: group was headed by Bush/Cheney industry hacks that were told in no uncertain terms: "

"Keep them trains running !"

As in, they were simply there do be a lap dog to anything short of total disaster for capitalism AND payola or both.

Why do I think this way ?

A generation ago, the B-in-Law worked for OSHA, when Ronny was elected. He/every employee was told in no uncertain terms that ANY increased enforcement on biz interests would be considered a career limiting move.

So he did and workes=ed for the world'd biggest old company for 20 odd years, made a fortune tax free and roams the world now as a retiree under the age of 60.

But I digress. Of course, Bush-Cheney is responsible for the lax state of affairs that allows BP to **** up with a very low regard for safety regs and avoid the consequences with impunity.

HOWEVER, this Prez has had about 18 months and if he didn't like the cosy, lickshpittle relationship of Big Oil with Government, he should have changed things !!!

Tom
06-06-2010, 11:09 PM
BP took away their livelihoods as much as Bush caused a hurricane called Katrina.

Shit happens.

Not remotely the same.
It was BPs responsibility to have plans and equipment and people in place for this type of thing, and then not drag their feet and lie about it for weeks after it happened. Hurricanes can't be prevented, but incompetence can.

Tom
06-06-2010, 11:14 PM
But I digress. Of course, Bush-Cheney is responsible for the lax state of affairs that allows BP to **** up with a very low regard for safety regs and avoid the consequences with impunity.

Obama has been in office far too long to escape it being his problem, caused by a company that made substantial contributions to his campaign.
This is 100% Obama.

riskman
06-06-2010, 11:33 PM

Shit happens.

Agree, and that shit stinks.

" BP’s atrocious record prior to this catastrophe. In the last three years, according to the Center for Public Integrity, BP accounted for “97 percent of all flagrant violations found in the refining industry by government safety inspectors” — including 760 citations for “egregious, willful” violations (compared with only eight at the two oil companies that tied for second place). Hayward’s predecessor at BP, ousted in a sex-and-blackmail scandal in 2007, had placed cost-cutting (and ever more obscene profits) over safety, culminating in the BP Texas City refinery explosion that killed 15 and injured 170 in 2005. Last October The Times uncovered documents revealing that BP had still failed to address hundreds of safety hazards at that refinery in the four years after the explosion, prompting the largest fine in the history of the Occupational Safety and Health Administration. (The fine, $87 million, was no doubt regarded as petty cash by a company whose profit reached nearly $17 billion last year.)"

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/06/opinion/06rich.html

fast4522
06-07-2010, 05:08 AM
This says it all!

delayjf
06-07-2010, 10:05 AM
I am not on the inside of the regulating body, so I don't know- only those there do.

However, I suspect, like DDog and many others that the 'regulatory' group was headed by Bush/Cheney industry hacks that were told in no uncertain terms: "

"Keep them trains running !"

As in, they were simply there do be a lap dog to anything short of total disaster for capitalism AND payola or both.

Why do I think this way. A generation ago, the B-in-Law worked for OSHA, when Ronny was elected. He/every employee was told in no uncertain terms that ANY increased enforcement on biz interests would be considered a career limiting move.

So he did and workes=ed for the world'd biggest old company for 20 odd years, made a fortune tax free and roams the world now as a retiree under the age of 60.

HOWEVER, this Prez has had about 18 months and if he didn't like the cosy, lickshpittle relationship of Big Oil with Government, he should have changed things !!!
By your own admission, you don't know and since your source worked tax free, can I assume he worked overseas? If so, I'm not sure as to the enforceability of US regulation abroad.

Assuming you are correct, and this lack of regulation enforcement dates back all the way to Reagan, then every president since then shares in the blame - not just Bush / Cheney.