PDA

View Full Version : Texas moving to Big Ten .........?

JustRalph
06-04-2010, 01:59 AM
http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/sports/stories/2010/06/03/e-mails-hint-big-ten-expansion-eyes-on-texas.html?sid=101

E-mails hint Big Ten expansion eyes are upon Texas
OSU's Gee says UT president 'would welcome a call'

THURSDAY, JUNE 3, 2010 11:41 PM
BY BILL RABINOWITZ
THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

A decision about expanding the Big Ten might be months away, but e-mail conversations indicate that the University of Texas is an object of the conference's attention. And the school's athletic director isn't making a commitment to stay in the Big 12.

Ohio State University President E. Gordon Gee sent an e-mail to Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delany on April 20 saying that he had spoken with Texas President William Powers.

"I did speak with Bill Powers at Texas, who would welcome a call to say they have a 'Tech' problem," Gee wrote in an e-mail that was among several obtained by The Dispatch through a public-records request for documents and correspondence related to Big Ten expansion proposals.

Texas Tech is one of Texas' rivals in the Big 12 conference. Ohio State officials declined a Dispatch request to explain the "Tech" problem.

"Public record laws do not require us to provide further clarification on meaning," OSU spokeswoman Amy Murray said in an e-mail. "While a few of the e-mails are cryptic, we aren't obliged to provide additional explanation."

Although speculation about the Big Ten's interest in Texas has been widespread in the 5 1/2 months since the conference announced it would consider expansion, the e-mail is rare evidence of communication between the school and a high-ranking Big Ten representative.

Texas and Texas Tech are two of three state-sponsored schools from Texas in the Big 12. The other is Texas A&M.

Texas and Texas A&M are members of the Association of American Universities, a prestigious alliance of research-minded universities. Texas Tech is not. The Big Ten has made it clear that AAU membership is important for prospective members, with Notre Dame an exception because of its excellent academic reputation.

Although Texas Tech has had athletic success in recent years, it is considered a notch below Texas and Texas A&M athletically. After last season, Texas Tech endured an ugly firing of successful football coach Mike Leach amid allegations that he mistreated players.

Don Hale, Texas' vice president for public affairs, said he did not think the three Texas schools had a legal commitment to be in the same conference. But he said the Texas Legislature may apply pressure for that to happen.

"I think it's a political issue," he said today. "Because they're state institutions, I think the concern is that one can't move without the others."

Shortly after Hale's comment, Rivals.com reported that multiple sources indicated that the Pacific-10 is prepared to invite Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Colorado to join its league.

more at the link

ElKabong
06-08-2010, 01:09 AM
jr, i just saw this after my post....

it would take a mini miracle for texas to leave w/o anm and tech tagging along...the b10 won't be interested in tech, believe me...they don't stand up to the b10 academic requirements

the PUF (permanent univ fund) rules all, a masssive amount of $ are tied to the puf fund.. texas and anm share that w/ 2/3 going the ut system.....the power over the 2 univ's is -in a nutshell- ruled by leaders in the tx legislature, virtually every major u in tx is represented there

b/c baylor had extreme power in austin the early 90's, baylor was able to get themselves into the b12, edginbg out tcu--- that power for baylor no longer exists...they're trying hard to get in the new pac16 and edge out colorado, we'll see how that goes

i'd prefer texas to be in the b10, but some miracle has to happen,,,,anm doesn't want (1) to be in a diff conf than the horns, and (2) they don't want to go to the b10-- they know culturally they're not a fit= academically, yes,,,,,culturally, no

if notre dame accepts the b10 offer as reported, i think the b10 stays pat w/ 12...nd is their first choice by far...and nd needs to realize they;re losing $ by staying outta the b10

ElKabong
06-08-2010, 01:10 AM
also,,,,,check a blog called FRANK THE TANK.. an illinois alum who's posted much on this since january...covered every angle on b10 expansion

JustRalph
06-08-2010, 01:36 AM
Elk........ I will check it out , Thanks!