PDA

View Full Version : Worst, most ridiculous "systems" you bought

andicap
07-31-2003, 02:17 PM
The RPM thread had me thinking about all the get-rich-quick crap I bought, especially when i was just starting out handicapping 30 years ago as a teen-ager. I'm not talking about real books or software but mail order junk I used to get in droves once I got on lists and that RPM shamelessly promotes.

I bought something called the "500" system. This was in 1980 and it was $20. I can't remember exactly what it was, but it used about 4 or 5 of the usual handicapping factors -- it relied very heaviliy on weight, the DRF SR-TV and class as I recall.

I bought a $25 harness system from Sports Eye (not the K-2 calcuator tho.) in the late 1970s that used internal fractions only. It was supposedly "Jack Rubin's personal method."

Someone gave me "Tom Ainslie's Private Method" in the mid-70s. A point system/pencil/paper method based on DRF stuff. (example, any horse with an excuse got 10 points -- I remember this put a 2nd time maiden who was 12th by 20 lengths on top because he had an excuse.)

And yes - I'm ashamed to admit I bought the "Dot Method" in the early 1980s after the NY Post ad campaign wore me down. At least I got my refund.

none of them worked for a second.

:D :D

freeneasy
07-31-2003, 03:18 PM
long,long time ago mickey rooney advertised a system in the form. forgot the name he gave it, think it might of been " mickeys private method" or someting catchy like that. forgot the rules. but i thought hey, this is mickey rooney, surely he wouldnt fib, the guy must have goods.
never won a nicel. never got my money back. never seen it sinse.
but i did cross ways with the mickster miester a year or two later at hollywood and the short conversation that followed went like this. hey mickey, i bought your system. and mickey says, sorry for the losers pal.
i didnt think about it at the time but if i did i probably would have made a pitch to get my 20 bucks back, could have used it for the next race. :D

PaulB
07-31-2003, 03:22 PM
Mickey Rooney advertised the Dot System that sold in the early 80s.

timtam
07-31-2003, 04:08 PM
Mickey Rooney also advertised a method called Win Side Up in which he sent you dice then according to rules you'd keep moving the dice until the alleged Win side would be up. You probably should have thrown the dice and played the 2 numbers for the exacta and you would have as much a chance as this method. I guess Mickey Rooney and the jockey thing influenced many players for a short time.

Richard
07-31-2003, 06:14 PM
There was a system back in the mid '80's that I paid either $10 or $15 called the Wall Street Betting System which was nothing more than a Martingale progression.I dont think I need to post the obvious results.

NormanTD
08-01-2003, 09:52 AM
My "best" worthless system was about 2 pages long and essentially said "let 2 or three favorites in a row win (about a third of the card) and for the rest of the card bet the three or four longest odds horses".

The logic was, winners don't win all the races so let a few win (about a third of the card) and then the longshots were due in.

I did get my money back.