PDA

View Full Version : Donation made to the TRF

PaceAdvantage
06-03-2010, 10:35 PM
When Full Tilt Poker recently hosted our little post-Derby chat tournament last month, they also gave me $200 to donate to a Thoroughbred racing-related charity of my choice.

I chose the Thoroughbred Retirement Foundation.

If you would like to donate too, please click this link:

http://www.trfinc.org/Make-a-Gift-c9.html

Thanks goes out to FullTiltPoker.com for their generosity.

JustRalph
06-03-2010, 10:50 PM
Great choice...... :ThmbUp:

tbwinner
06-03-2010, 11:08 PM
Great charity group...them and PDJF!

joanied
06-04-2010, 10:49 AM
TRF is one I donate to as often as I can. Pace...thanks :ThmbUp: for posting the link...I hope many will use it to donate.
Imagine the nice amount of monies that could be donated if every handicapper would set aside a small portion of his/her winnings every week...and at the end of the month, donate to a rescue/retirement organization.

In fact, PA, I wonder if you can't set up a section here with a direct link to a donation page. I don't know anything about setting up such a fund, but I would assume the donation money would go into a PaceAdvantage account. After so much is in the account, it could be split up between a few rescue/retirement organizations, and those organizations would change every so often, or we could open a topic and vote on 5 or 6 that would be the one's everyone here is donating to.

Does that make sense?
Just a thought, something to think about and maybe get going...no doubt, it would have to make everyone here feel good that we are doing something good.
Hope my suggestion isn't out of line.

miesque
06-04-2010, 10:55 AM
TRF is one I donate to as often as I can. Pace...thanks :ThmbUp: for posting the link...I hope many will use it to donate.
Imagine the nice amount of monies that could be donated if every handicapper would set aside a small portion of his/her winnings every week...and at the end of the month, donate to a rescue/retirement organization.

In fact, PA, I wonder if you can't set up a section here with a direct link to a donation page. I don't know anything about setting up such a fund, but I would assume the donation money would go into a PaceAdvantage account. After so much is in the account, it could be split up between a few rescue/retirement organizations, and those organizations would change every so often, or we could open a topic and vote on 5 or 6 that would be the one's everyone here is donating to.

Does that make sense?
Just a thought, something to think about and maybe get going...no doubt, it would have to make everyone here feel good that we are doing something good.
Hope my suggestion isn't out of line.

I would not recommend that for a few reasons, the biggest being that the people giving the donations would not be able to deduct those contributions on their income tax returns like they could if they directly contributed to the 501(c)(3) charity directly (such as TRF, Rerun, CANTER, etc) since Pace Advantage is not a 501(c)(3) charity. Any "donation" given to Pace is in fact taxable income to Pace (he could use the charitable deduction for the money he pays to the charity).

Foolish Pleasure
06-04-2010, 10:57 AM
WE don't pay enough in takeout?

Now our responsiblilty to pay for pensioners too?

I give, as many know I am a firm supporter of the EFMHA and NARHA,
in fact our support has led the military to now employ retired racehorses for therapuetical purposes with returning soldiers suffering from PTSD amongst others.

However it is a little different for us since this is a money making enterprise.
I am opposed to constantly soliciting players for money.

They/we pay enough already, this is not our job and fans should not be faced with either the reality of the situation or funding solutions.

Tom
06-04-2010, 11:02 AM
Of course it not our job...it is our HONOR.

miesque
06-04-2010, 11:03 AM
Of course it not our job...it is our HONOR.

That was very stated Tom :ThmbUp:

Hedevar
06-04-2010, 11:35 AM
With the help of a generous donor the ASPCA has formed an Equine Grants Program which is donating funds to several equine rescue organizations among them the Thoroughbred Retirement Fund and Old Friends. Donations to the ASPCA are deductible. Their work ranges from anti-slaughter to premarin foal rescue.

www.ASPCA.org (http://www.ASPCA.org)

Hedevar
06-04-2010, 12:31 PM
The ASPCA Equine Grants Program is difficult to find on their website. If you search under that name you will find the page. They are donating to the California Equine Retirement Foundation, Old Friends, MidAtlantic Horse Rescue, Kentucky Equine Humane Center, Thoroughbred Retirement Foundation and CANTER.

JMO but a very worthy cause.

joanied
06-04-2010, 01:30 PM
Well, it's nice to see some replies to this...I hadn't thought about the tax part, so forgive my dufas moment...and since mentioned, I guess it would put Pace in a sticky situation (hey, we had a horse in Buddy Hirsch's barn named Sticky Situation:) )...
as Tom said, it IS an honor to donate to these causes...between the horse organizations and the military organizations I support, I use up any 'extra cash' we may have, but it never bothers me...because it's an honor and I am happy to do it.

Anyway...pardon my suggestion, I guess...I went out on a limb, and I think it just broke...ouch!!
Dumb idea.

castaway01
06-04-2010, 03:54 PM
WE don't pay enough in takeout?

Now our responsiblilty to pay for pensioners too?

I give, as many know I am a firm supporter of the EFMHA and NARHA,
in fact our support has led the military to now employ retired racehorses for therapuetical purposes with returning soldiers suffering from PTSD amongst others.

However it is a little different for us since this is a money making enterprise.
I am opposed to constantly soliciting players for money.

They/we pay enough already, this is not our job and fans should not be faced with either the reality of the situation or funding solutions.

Wow, you're all class FP. I'm pretty sure there's no gun to your head to give---I can't believe you're really complaining about people being given an opportunity to donate to a charity.

TRF is a great cause, everyone should give what they can. I personally think it's good karma to kick in a few bucks after a big win, but that's just me.

WinterTriangle
06-04-2010, 06:01 PM
I think what Joanie was suggesting, and which she and I discussed on night, is that it'd be fun to do sometime around the holidays, is to donate "as a forum". On several of the rescue sites, some forum names are up on the site as "sponsors". I think the way you become a sponsor is by making a donation as an entity. COTH, for instance, is featured as such on one of the rescue re-home orgs.

The kind of $ I'm thinking about for a 'drive' like that would be that its about numbers of people, not amount of $. Let's say PaceAdvantage, as a forum has 3,000+ active members. If everyone donated a measly $10 or $20 it would come to $30K or $60K as a one time donation. $30K or 60K would go a long way toward the yearly fees of an retired TB.

I certainly don't need a tax writeoff for $10 or $20. :) and I would love that PaceAdvantage org. receive the tax write off once the fund is complete.......because I don't pay to help hosting fees here, since the board is free. The forum itself deserves the write off.

I also think having a 'drive" has a lot of goodwill value, that one of the largest on-line horse racing communities, as an entity, could say: "we", as a group, support this stuff."

Whenever I did fundraising enmasse in the corporate environment, I realized that not everybody had a spare $100 . But everybody could afford $10 and then you just try to get as many people as possible to donate, and they will, becuase you're not asking for much.:)

Could something like that ever be done, Pace? I dunno how others forum communities do it. I was picturing it like a once a year 'drive'.

joanied
06-04-2010, 06:24 PM
I'm in a hurry....my farrier will be here any minute...but everything that Winter t said i ditto...hse said it better than I did, give details and what she says makes sense...as to how to do this...a once or twice a year 'drive'....that's it:ThmbUp:
Thanks, Winter...I appreciate your explanation about this idea...as we did talk about it.
As far as tax writeoff...I never bother with that either...when I donate, that's it...I do not care about using it on our tax forms. It's a gift worth giving and what I feel in my heart is good enough for me:)

Here's my farrier....