PDA

View Full Version : Saratoga question/advice

soupman2
06-03-2010, 12:18 PM
I am taking a client to Saratoga either Mon or Wed. the 2nd week in August.
I want to get good seating. I'm sure the clubhouse is the way to go, but I have never been in the grandstand or the clubhouse. Anytime I go, I wander around outside or trackside. Any advice? I see they have tv's as well? That may be the way to go.

affirmedny
06-03-2010, 01:29 PM
I want to get good seating. I'm sure the clubhouse is the way to go, but I have never been in the grandstand or the clubhouse. Anytime I go, I wander around outside or trackside. Any advice? I see they have tv's as well? That may be the way to go.

If he's not a hardcore horseplayer get there between 12 and 12:30 and take him to the restaurant that is trackside on the clubhouse apron. It will cost you $50 to $100 depending on how much you drink and will impress him. You get a good view of the horses coming out on the track and coming back to the winner's circle. Not such a good view of the races but there are TVs near every table. Food is ok, not great.

saratoga guy
06-03-2010, 02:02 PM
Here's a link to the Saratoga seating chart:

http://www.nyra.com/Saratoga/GeneralInformation/Tickets/10ChrtB1.pdf

...It shows you clubhouse and grandstand seating, the line behind which seats have views of TVs, and the grandstand seats that are in the sun.

It also gives you an idea of where the sections are in relation to the stretch (1/8th pole, etc).

I think any of the clubouse sections are good. And I'm even happy in "M" or "N" in the grandstand.

As the previous poster suggested -- other options include the dining areas ( http://www.nyra.com/Saratoga/GeneralInformation/Dining/Dining.shtml ) and -- I think that single seats can be purchased when available in the "luxury suites" on the clubhouse turn.

soupman2
06-03-2010, 02:02 PM
That sounds perfect! Do they take reservations or is it first come, first served?

Thanks for the info.

OTM Al
06-03-2010, 02:53 PM
Do remember that the entry price is separate from the seating ticket price.

affirmedny
06-03-2010, 03:14 PM
That sounds perfect! Do they take reservations or is it first come, first served?

Thanks for the info.

you have to wait in line at the maitre d stand, usually only a few minutes on a weekday

badcompany
06-03-2010, 03:29 PM
Just don't drink too much of the mineral water. Its has a laxative effect. You'll be runnin' to the can every five minutes.:blush:

soupman2
06-03-2010, 03:36 PM
Do remember that the entry price is separate from the seating ticket price.

Last time I was there, they were letting people in free of charge if you had anything green on their clothing. I had nothing, then I remembered...I flashed the tops of my boxers and got in for free!

offtrack
06-03-2010, 07:13 PM
Reservations are available for all dinning areas. The number is in the link posted above.
Appropriate dress codes apply.
Gross over-tipping is always accepted.

johnhannibalsmith
06-03-2010, 07:31 PM
It's been a long time since I was there, but they always had a breakfast during training hours where you could listen to Mary Ryan (?) deliver the blow-by-blow throughout the morning works. If you're going to talk shop, this may be a nice, relaxed way to do it so you can just go have some fun at the races in the afternoon. If I remember, the french toast is fantastic.

salty
06-03-2010, 09:09 PM
I say definitely go to the trackside breakfast buffet. Good food, nice atmosphere and that way you can go get some philly cheesesteaks from fivestardave's which is located to the right of the clubhouse escalator near the paddock.

I know you are probably trying to impress someone and whatnot. But I prefer to bring a chair with the attached shade and grabbing a spot on one of the risers in front of the grandstand as close to the finish line as possible. Which is easy to do before going to enjoy the nice trackside breakfast. I only like the grandstand when I am with a large group of people because of personal space issues, i suppose monday and wednesday there shouldn't be to many people.

soupman2
06-03-2010, 09:22 PM
Thank you for your help. Offtrack, you answered my next question, about dress code. I would think collared shirt and khakis are ok. Are shorts ok?

1GCFAN
06-03-2010, 10:44 PM
I know last year on the weekend I was there you could get a table if you arrived an hour before post. Seems there was $25 min for food and drink. As I recall a bucket of beer was $12 so it didn't take long to cover the $25.

offtrack
06-04-2010, 03:22 AM
Re: the dress code. If you are sitting in the clubhouse boxes, when the races are being run, short pants are not what is worn. NYRA encourages the clubhouse patrons to dress up a bit, in respect for Saratoga history.

The collared shirt and khakis are fine everywhere else in the clubhouse.

The NYRA dress code is available on line @:

http://www.nyra.com/Saratoga/GeneralInformation/GeneralInformation/GeneralInformation.shtml

soupman2
06-04-2010, 09:31 AM
Offtrack, again thank you. LOL- I will end up dressing better for a day at the races than I do for work! And talk about brain cramps...how come I didn't think of checking this out on line? :blush: Talk about duh.......

thespaah
06-04-2010, 05:43 PM
See post number 2..That is the way to go. Caution..If you go on the weekend, it gets a bit crowded over there. People do respect the seated patrons though.
I have hung out/sat there many times.
Also, the Jim Dandy Bar is a very good place to go as well. See the chart provided.
If you prefer seating. Go to the NYRA website and purchase seats( Clubhouse is best) for your desired day(s).

thespaah
06-04-2010, 05:45 PM
Reservations are available for all dinning areas. The number is in the link posted above.
Appropriate dress codes apply.
Gross over-tipping is always accepted.Ahh, you must work there.
BTW, I make it a habit to "take care" of servers, whether it be bar tenders, wait staff, etc. Seems to go a long way at The Spa.

thespaah
06-04-2010, 05:47 PM
It's been a long time since I was there, but they always had a breakfast during training hours where you could listen to Mary Ryan (?) deliver the blow-by-blow throughout the morning works. If you're going to talk shop, this may be a nice, relaxed way to do it so you can just go have some fun at the races in the afternoon. If I remember, the french toast is fantastic.Mawee Wyan?.......LOL!!!!!

thespaah
06-04-2010, 05:48 PM
Thank you for your help. Offtrack, you answered my next question, about dress code. I would think collared shirt and khakis are ok. Are shorts ok?Shorts are a no-no in the more formal or upscale dining areas

SmartyParty
06-04-2010, 09:18 PM
Soooo is it too late to get tickets for the Jim Dandy and the Whitney? I want to see Super Saver and Quality Road. I lllllllove the Spa!

thespaah
06-04-2010, 10:06 PM
Soooo is it too late to get tickets for the Jim Dandy and the Whitney? I want to see Super Saver and Quality Road. I lllllllove the Spa!
Call the NYRA offices and inquire about seats for those events.
Better still, forget the seats. SInce you've been in the announcer's booth to write your book, may I suggest you come on out to the Spa's backyard and hob nob with the real people. The other side if you will. The ones that go to picnic, bet the races and just have a good time.
We handicap with PP's just like those in the Box seats in the clubhouse.